Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2022, 15:05   #1
BHPian

DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it

Hello everyone , my Granny got a Glanza V CVT (Jan 2021) and till date it has run around 2700km. So my Granny's place has 52 dogs and keeping two cars safe is a bit of a task. Its running is extremely low and since Aunt and her relatives had come to town , we had to take the Glanza , I came to my Granny's place to pick the car and was shocked to see the left fender lining half eaten by the dogs .

DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it-img_20220216_124734.jpg

I start the car and I was shocked to see the CEL and Transmission error Light on the cluster.

DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it-img_20220215_100418.jpg

Me and dad had a look at the engine bay and saw that the left fog lamp wires were bitten. We wanted to take a look under the car and see what else is wrong since the transmission light too was glowing. The car was in Limp mode , it was barely driveable. When we lifted the car and checked the area near the gearbox, it was not a pleasant sight to see.

DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it-img_20220215_162829.jpg

The dogs had bitten the connector near the gearbox, Hence the transmission light was glowing.

DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it-img_20220215_162826.jpg

Me and dad later discussed and took matters to our own hands to fix the car instead of taking it to TASS. Yes , the car is under warranty but we knew that if we had given the car to ASS then they would require ordering the whole wiring harness and would need minimum a weeks time and us paying a hefty bill.

DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it-img_20220215_184611.jpg

We started off by disconnecting the battery and then removing the battery tray and the connectors around it. Doing so gave us easy access to the transmission connector.

DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it-img_20220215_184656.jpg

Dad carefully opened the sleeves and separated the wires. In the meantime I ran to the city to get corrugated conduit and colour coded wires. I had the rest of the required stuff at home ready. We carefully Soldered the wires and used heat shrink tubes and got it done neatly along with the Corrugated conduit tube.

DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it-img_20220215_185007.jpg

DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it-img_20220215_190553.jpg

We made sure it looked like OEM Harness.

So we assembled everything back and plugged in the battery and everything and fired up the car thinking the CEL and the transmission light would go out but unfortunately it did not.

DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it-whatsapp-image-20220218-2.16.17-pm.jpeg

Took a test drive to see if the car was out of its "limp mode" and it was back to being peppy as it was before which was a huge relief. Continued driving it from my village till Manipal which is about 20 km away. I had a known SA in MASS and called him and requested if he could clear the DTC's. He told me to come around 8am the next day. Surprisingly when I started the car after reaching Manipal, The CEL and transmission light was off and I was overwhelmed to see it go away.

DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it-img_20220215_225619.jpg

But anyways I wanted to erase off the old DTC codes. Many of my friends had told me that the SDT ( Suzuki Diagnostic Tool) won't be able to read the ECU of Toyota or so we thought. I took the Glanza to MASS the next day and the SDT did read the ECU and the DTC's.

DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it-img_20220216_075957.jpg

Toyota Badged car at Maruti .

DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it-img_20220216_081340.jpg

DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it-img_20220216_081758.jpg

Luckily All went well and the codes did show up in history. We cleared the old DTC and scanned it again to see if any DTC's are active, Fortunately no DTC were active. I asked my SA how would they have managed to fix a problem that I faced, he said according to the protocols, they would replace the whole Engine bay wiring harness which would be north of ₹16,000 + Labour. Obviously Toyota's wiring harness would cost even more.

Thanked my SA and left happily from there.
A lotta folks had messaged me saying the Glanza ECU / Urban Cruiser ECU cannot be read by SDT, Hope this post clears the air. To be frank I could have taken the car to TASS itself but it was quite a distance from my place and MASS was closer.

All in all, I'm glad the problem was solved and ended well. T'was quite a learning experience.

Regards
Ashton Castelino

Last edited by Ashtoncastelino : 18th February 2022 at 15:09.
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (110) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 16:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtoncastelino View Post
All in all, I'm glad the problem was solved and ended well. T'was quite a learning experience.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Excellent work done by you and your dad. No one can easily tell this repair happened unless they rip off the tape and expose the wires. DTCs usually have a self clearing mechanism or at least become a past DTC from an active DTC once the problem goes away. For some components, restarting the car once or one driving cycle would sort the issue. For others, three driving cycles is the norm. Even though the DTCs will stay in the history until its cleared, it will no longer throw up the CEL and will revert from limp mode. I guess thats what happened in your case.

For sensor signal related DTCs, it will be 'n' number of drive cycles after valid readings are received. For some other DTCs, it will be a specific duration after the correct readings are received.
audioholic is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 16:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
... So my Granny's place has 52 dogs and keeping two cars safe is a bit of a task.....
Are you sure dogs are the culprit here, at least with the connectors!? Seems more like a rat problem to me.
2cents is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 00:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Excellent work done by you and your dad. No one can easily tell this repair happened unless they rip off the tape and expose the wires.
Thankyou for those kind words Audioholic. Yes thats why me and dad inspected the mess properly before we started fixing it. Only when I confirmed with dad , we proceeded. I hope the cars warranty is still retained

Quote:
For sensor signal related DTCs, it will be 'n' number of drive cycles after valid readings are received. For some other DTCs, it will be a specific duration after the correct readings are received.
Yes , I too think this is true because it happened only after a drive to manipal with two breaks in middle. Even I asked my SA whether the CEL and Transmission light would go away after fixing the problem and he too told the same about clearing the ECU to solve it completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Are you sure dogs are the culprit here, at least with the connectors!? Seems more like a rat problem to me.
Yes I'm 100% sure. With dogs let loose inside the compound , I'm sure rats wouldn't even dare to come close to the compound due to the alert dogs. It's the puppies that have done this mess as they have itchy teeth when growing up. We have all seen this with dogs.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 08:16   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it

Thanks for sharing, Ashtoncastelino! Moving your post out to a new thread so as to warn others. A new thread means 100X the views & 100X the visibility in search engines, including Google. Will add to homepage this weekend .

@ BHPians, if you should spot any good post in an existing thread that deserves its own new thread, please report the post and we'll move it out for greater visibility.

Thank you!
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 10:53   #6
MSC
BHPian

The error codes do have a tendency to persist for some time if not cleared manually, immediately after a job involving sensors and other stuff. My Hyundai Venue had a faulty oxygen sensor warning which was replaced under warranty. However, unfortunately when the service advisor was about to hook up the tablet to clear code, the tablet slipped from him hands and was badly damaged. It wouldn't switch on after the fall. The advisor told me to drive as it is while the error code is glowing. The check engine light will persist but since the faulty sensor has been replaced, so there won't be any detrimental effect on car. They will call me in a day or two, when the tablet is functional to remove error code and warning light in console. However, within 20 odd kilometres, the warning lamp on console went off on its own.
If I am not wrong, once the fault is corrected, the car might itself recognise that all good, so itself removes warning lights. They may be present in history but the error warnings on the console go away on their own.
MSC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 11:20   #7
BHPian

Well, I have been a victim of this too not once but twice.
We went through insurance claim both the times, what worked for us was that we had the CCTV footage.
The bill was around 15k on both occasions.
Hemi6.2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 13:00   #8
BHPian

Had 5 pups around our car too, although they didn't touch any electrical system but the did chew off the car's mudflap and also tore off the body cover.
Great job and props to you and your father!
gt3t0uring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 15:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I'm 100% sure. With dogs let loose inside the compound , I'm sure rats wouldn't even dare to come close to the compound due to the alert dogs. It's the puppies that have done this mess as they have itchy teeth when growing up. We have all seen this with dogs.
I feel the wiring damage were due to rat bites and the damage on the bumper, inner lining is due to the dogs.
These rats try and hide in the engine bay while running from the dogs. The dogs bite into the bumper and wheel inner lining once they know that the rat is in the engine bay.
I have faced the same issue where our dogs have damaged the bumper, fender and wheel inner lining.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th February 2022 at 17:08. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
prajnya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 17:34   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
dogs had bitten the connector near the gearbox, Hence the transmission light was glowing
Great job done by Dad and you, Ashton. I faced a similar situation 5 years ago and it took me 3 days to get to what had gone wrong; summarised here - TCC cable clipped by mice (The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP).

Now that you know that the doggie threat is there, I'd urge you to take actions to prevent recurrence.

1. Easiest thing is to have a wooden border around the car with nails on them; entry of mice and other creatures banned
2. You could consider reinforcing the easy to access wiring harnesses especially the ECU and Transmission Control Unit ones with some hard plastic sleeves

Last edited by vigsom : 19th February 2022 at 17:36.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 19:44   #11
BHPian

We are currently undegoing this issue. There are two stray dogs in our society and they sleep on top of the cars during night, I have been warning about this to our association and security team but they did not take it seriously. Now dogs has already damaged antennas of 3 cars including mine and a two wheeler seat has also been damaged. Now I can refer this thread to show them how serious this issue is..
skpprabhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 14:51   #12
BHPian

As requested by BHPian GTSunny I'm posting a few photos of the dogs at my granny's home.

Mom's elder sister is a Dog lover and loves to take care of not only the dogs at home but also the street dogs in my village Moodubelle. She takes the dogs to neuter them and also vaccinates them. All the dogs are for adoption and she regularly follows up with the people who have adopted dogs from her.

If any of y'all want to adopt any, feel free to PM me. Do note , majority of the dogs are females and are all vaccinated and neutered.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it-img_20220220_143437.jpg  

DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it-img_20220220_143413.jpg  

DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it-img_20220220_143351.jpg  

DIY: Fixing my Toyota Glanza after dogs damaged it-img_20220220_143327.jpg  

Ashtoncastelino is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 11:32   #13
BHPian

Successfully installed Underbody protection on the Glanza. More details in the link below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5290038

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 17:12   #14
BHPian

Good job but you successfully put warranty of your car off by doing this. Hope any costly part does not fail in the warranty period and car denied a warranty replacement and a hefty price which you prevented now.

Moreover such DIY jobs are key reasons for car fires. Money can be regenerated but not the loved ones. Hope everything and everyone remains safe
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 19:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Wires are definitely the Rat bite. You may find some Rat dropping or smell too.
I have seen with two cars in my layout where Rats going/ hiding inside engine bay, and dogs trying to catch Rats damaging / tearing parts under fender
alamodein is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks