Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2021, 19:27   #1
BHPian

Rear Wiper fitment

Hello everyone. Sorry for the delay in publishing the details of rear wiper fitment. This is a pretty straightforward installation if you have all the parts handy and this can be done easily on any variant of any car as far as the respective car's top end model came with a rear wiper because in most cases, you will need the rear glass of the specific model with the hole to fit the wiper motor and the wiper.

I would rate the difficulty as medium since I am a noob in electronics, electricals and its working. I had tested it as DIY with the help of a friend and we confirmed the wiper motor working before changing the rear glass. I had to give to an expert for proper routing of wires since I did not want to damage any stock fitments. For them, this was just an hour's job. All you need to do is find the right connector if you do not want to slice wires, an area to get current to the stalks(can be taken from anywhere) and a wire connection from the stalk to the wiper motor and that's it. Works like a charm.

NOTE : My version of Venue(SX+ DCT) had the rear defogger as stock and that made it a whole lot easier. Lower variants which do not have this have to purchase the defoggers separately.

The parts diagram, courtesy of a local Hyundai showroom. You can avoid using connectors if you get the entire wiring system of this particular area, but comes at a cost of 17.5k, which is definitely eye-watering.
DIY: Rear Wiper fitment in Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT-img2735.jpg

The parts arrived in a weeks time.
DIY: Rear Wiper fitment in Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT-img3818.jpg

The old stalk
DIY: Rear Wiper fitment in Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT-old-stalk.jpg

The connectors of the old stalk. 6 of them. All for front wiper and washer.
DIY: Rear Wiper fitment in Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT-old-stalk-2.jpg

In Venue, you can order both stalks separately and here we need only the left control stalk from SX(O) manual variant.
DIY: Rear Wiper fitment in Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT-new-stalk.jpg

The pins of the new stalk. An extra number 4 pins compared to stock. The first was current coming into the stalk and the next 2 is current out and earth. For the rear washer to come back to the original position, there has to be current always in the motor circuit and this was taken from the fuse box using a connector and we avoided the rear washer piping altogether as I intend to use this setup in rainy season only(I guess most do!). This was primarily done to avoid drilling on the spoiler. You need a separate part to be fixed into the front washer reservoir and extra hoses to connect from it. Yes this works too and many have done it already on Creta base variants.
DIY: Rear Wiper fitment in Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT-new-stalk-1.jpg

The tail gate wiring has to be procured too. This includes a coupler for the rear wiper motor. The left side is the new one and right side was stock.
DIY: Rear Wiper fitment in Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT-tail-gate-wire.jpg

This is how we tested in in-house. We might have blown a fuse or two in attempting it(lucky we did not), but I desperately wanted to try it at home before changing the rear glass. You can see the 6 stock wires starting from orange and ending in black. These controls the various actions for the front washer and wiper. We took a current from the front wiper(from the wire next to green. Light brown is it?) and gave it to first one of the 4 new pins. And took an out from 2 pins next to it and wiper motor started working. This was when we saw light at the end of the tunnel. The original switches worked when current was given this way. Now we needed expert hands to route the wiring along with the stock wiring and also wanted to use connectors and a separate fuse for rear wiper alone. I knew I couldn't do it alone and sought the help of a local shop dealing with electricals and electronics of automobiles.
DIY: Rear Wiper fitment in Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT-img4944.jpg

Here you can see the 4 pins on the bottom and the last pin was left out.
DIY: Rear Wiper fitment in Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT-img4945.jpg

The final look of the coupler to the stalk. Neat isn't it? That's what experts could do and I couldn't(Laziness did not allow me to )
DIY: Rear Wiper fitment in Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT-img5229.jpg

The other side of the same
DIY: Rear Wiper fitment in Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT-last.jpg

The fuse box. The extra fuse is accessible and the red thing in the background is the connector.
DIY: Rear Wiper fitment in Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT-img5225.jpg

And does all these help? You can bet on it. What a relief it has been in the torrential rains for the past month here down south.
DIY: Rear Wiper fitment in Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT-img5237.jpg

And last, the parts needed. Everything except the sealant for the rear glass is listed here. Prices are approximate, with 90% accuracy. I had fixed the glass at Hyundai itself as I have a trusted SA here
DIY: Rear Wiper fitment in Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT-img2736.jpg

I will try to answer if there are any clarifications. If I cannot, I can try out to reach to the expert who did the wiring on my car.

Thanks everyone. Happy motoring !

Last edited by Aditya : 17th November 2021 at 16:05.
Xaos636 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 10:00   #2

Re: Rear Wiper fitment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Hello everyone. Sorry for the delay in publishing the details of rear wiper fitment. This is a pretty straightforward installation if you have all the parts handy and this can be done easily on any variant of any car as far as the respective car's top end model came with a rear wiper because in most cases, you will need the rear glass of the specific model with the hole to fit the wiper motor and the wiper. !
Looks neat and useful
One question. What is the impact of this DIY on warranty? Your car would be under warranty and wouldn't this void it?
shikharmakkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 10:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
This is a pretty straightforward installation if you have all the parts handy and this can be done easily on any variant of any car as far as the respective car's top end model came with a rear wiper because in most cases, you will need the rear glass of the specific model with the hole to fit the wiper motor and the wiper.
Thank you for this post. That looks like a neat installation. Only now I came across your review thread. So many interesting mods. Looks like I am going to be stuck with this thread for some time. DIYs like this boost my confidence. I am also planing to install a rear wiper on my base variant Ignis. Already procured the parts catalogue, and listed out the relevant parts to be changed. In my opinion it's very unethical from an OEM to omit an important feature like a rear wiper so as a few pennies could be saved. A rear wiper is as important as a front one and should be offered from the base variant itself.
sole_rider is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 14:24   #4
BHPian

Re: Venue comes home! My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review

Really pleasing to see this Rear Wiper being added. We have a Grand i10 Sportz Auto and this car too only came with a Rear Defogger on the Automatic top end back then. Our 2009 i10 had a Rear Wiper and it was shockingly absent on our Grand i10 facelift.

A horrible and disturbing omission in my opinion and I have always wondered on how a rear wiper would feature in on a Hyundai. Thanks for paving the way for many Hyundai owners.
Old 17th November 2021, 15:12   #5
BHPian

Re: Venue comes home! My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review

Wow, that is a beautiful add-on to your Venue. I did find the rear wiper missing when I drove my Neighbours Venue which doesnt have a rear wiper.

I had installed rear wiper with washer on my 2006 swift VXI in August earlier this year , I enquired everywhere about the cost of glass change to ZXI and the quotes what I got were about 5k for glass change including labour and sealant.

Lucky for me I found a Whole ZXI door with everything on it intact and I had the international Swift Service manual which has the same wiring harness as our indian variant.

Went to my FNG where I printed the diagrams and explained him what to do and the whole project was done in 2 days.The whole dashboard was taken off the car and its not a pretty sight to see for many people.

That being said it was a tiresome process and definitely not for the faint hearted.

I will soon write an ownership log on my car including all the modifications done to it.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 16:06   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Rear Wiper fitment in Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT

Mod Note : DIY: Rear Wiper fitment in Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT - Posts copied to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 10:54   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Splendid. Wonderful result & thanks for sharing with all. Enjoy your safer & clearer journeys now! I hope more and more folks go ahead and get this uber-important mod done. Carmakers as well as authorities should be ashamed. Its about time that the rear wash+wipe is made mandatory in hatchbacks and SUVs in our country.

Surprisingly - not many garages are willing to do this change either. It could be good revenue generator perhaps, if there are sufficient aware car-owners out there. For some reason carmakers seem to think this feature is needed only by those who buy the top trims! (Few exceptions like the Magnite are pleasant.)

Similar project in my AltoK10 is in the works. I have procured all the bits needed for it, including 2 different wiper motor assemblies. Unfortunately - neither of them is matching the mounting point pattern inside the AltoK10's hatch. Unlike most modern cars, the Alto's wiper needs to be drilled through the hatch, so I'll get just 1 shot at it . The same car was exported to African and South American countries where it had the wiper. I think I'll contact @Leoshashee to find the part and source it somehow (actual motor is the same of course, its just the surrounding bracket that is different in different Maruti hatchbacks in this segment.)

Last edited by Reinhard : 18th November 2021 at 11:23. Reason: typo
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 15:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Splendid. Wonderful result & thanks for sharing with all. Enjoy your safer & clearer journeys now! I hope more and more folks go ahead and get this uber-important mod done. Carmakers as well as authorities should be ashamed. Its about time that the rear wash+wipe is made mandatory in hatchbacks and SUVs in our country.
Thanks a lot for the words. Car makers in India are least bothered about safety. I regret to say it, but that's a big truth. I love how at least some of them works hard to give the best of both world's to the consumer, but that too is becoming rare as everything except salary is going up and at the end of the day, manufacturers are functioning only to make profits.

Quote:
Surprisingly - not many garages are willing to do this change either. It could be good revenue generator perhaps, if there are sufficient aware car-owners out there. For some reason carmakers seem to think this feature is needed only by those who buy the top trims! (Few exceptions like the Magnite are pleasant.)
Agree. I had contacted most local garages and most did not even want to try it or even think about it. I called a few shops who have actually done this mod on a Creta and asked about just the wiring part and they told me they cannot disclose the same as they are willing to do it their own and cannot disclose wiring details outside. One is a famous aftermarket dealer in Mumbai and another in Gujarat who has done these mods. I told I will pay for the services and still they did not accept it and told me they aren't interested in sharing more details. They asked me to drive down from Kerala to Mumbai which at a later date I agreed to. Then they informed me that Venue parts are hard to come by and they already have their hand full for next one month. Everything felt like an excuse and I had to shelve those plans and decided to do it myself. I was so sure that even if it did not work, I will keep the rear wiper as a dummy. But to my luck, everything went smooth.

Quote:
Similar project in my AltoK10 is in the works. I have procured all the bits needed for it, including 2 different wiper motor assemblies. Unfortunately - neither of them is matching the mounting point pattern inside the AltoK10's hatch. Unlike most modern cars, the Alto's wiper needs to be drilled through the hatch, so I'll get just 1 shot at it . The same car was exported to African and South American countries where it had the wiper. I think I'll contact @Leoshashee to find the part and source it somehow (actual motor is the same of course, its just the surrounding bracket that is different in different Maruti hatchbacks in this segment.)
Thats great to know. You will find light at the end of the tunnel, I am sure of it after my experience. To be honest, I have been behind this for an year now because everyone said 'NO' when only my mind kept saying 'YES'.
@leoshashi is the best one who could help with Maruti Suzuki and their spare part numbers and I hope you get the required parts soon
Xaos636 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 16:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NOTE : My version of Venue(SX+ DCT) had the rear defogger as stock and that made it a whole lot easier. Lower variants which do not have this have to purchase the defoggers separately.

Quote:
And last, the parts needed. Everything except the sealant for the rear glass is listed here. Prices are approximate, with 90% accuracy. I had fixed the glass at Hyundai itself as I have a trusted SA here
Did you have to change the rear glass or did the original glass come with a plugged hole.

I'm wondering if this mod can be done on a Nios Sportz. I attempted doing this on my Celerio but couldn't find anyone who knew how to do it. I'm not very good at DIY.
Old 2nd October 2022, 21:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Did you have to change the rear glass or did the original glass come with a plugged hole.

I'm wondering if this mod can be done on a Nios Sportz. I attempted doing this on my Celerio but couldn't find anyone who knew how to do it. I'm not very good at DIY.
Yes rear glass has to be changed.
Quote:
I had fixed the glass at Hyundai itself as I have a trusted SA here

Most Viewed