Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2021, 13:58   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: Replacing the 4th-gen Honda City's irritating horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post

Rant + DIY

Great thread viXit. I don't know how many of us have the time/patience/guts to open the front bumper. Kudos to your spirit

I am tempted to do the DIY myself. Just need someone to give me a Honda City with the spare horns .
Old 24th August 2021, 15:42   #17
BHPian

Great DIY indeed and I can't help but mention the Great Khushwant Singh Saab....." “Everything but the horn on this car makes noise.”
Just a bit of unsolicited gyaan: if using normal electrical tape in cars where it would experience extremes, use a couple of cable ties over and above the tape to keep it in place. The glue will give away...... pretty fast!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 24th August 2021 at 15:50.
Old 24th August 2021, 16:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Great thread viXit. I don't know how many of us have the time/patience/...
These two, I have in abundance ,haha.

Always ready to fiddle with something on the cars.

Quote:
I am tempted to do the DIY myself. Just need someone to give me a Honda City with the spare horns .
Manas can help you. he hates his city's horns too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Great DIY indeed and I can't help but mention the Great Khushwant Singh Saab....." “Everything but the horn on this car makes noise.”
If it ain't true.
Although the sound system on the VX(o) drowns out every other noise when it's doing its thing. Very nice stock setup.

Quote:
Just a bit of unsolicited gyaan: if using normal electrical tape in cars where it would experience extremes, use a couple of cable ties over and above the tape to keep it in place. The glue will give away...... pretty fast!
Thanks for the tip. I will implement on this next time onwards. I'm learning more from this thread than I imagined

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
A noob question - Is it possible to lift the car and work underneath rather than dismantling so many parts (of course you'll need to take it to a workshop for this)? If not, all I have to say is "Kudos Honda for making this so complex".
The bumper is sealed from the bottom. It's like an enclosure. To protect the parts inside from rocks and splashes, the front of the car is a closed space. We cant reach inside from the bottom unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTo_meister View Post
Speaking of non-universal horn connectors, I came across this site, RS Delivers: https://in.rsdelivers.com/ (not affiliated to them in any form) for sourcing connectors for
Thanks!

Sadly this isn't the same connection.
Honda uses this connector even in its other cars. Lot of civic owners buy it from Amazon.com in the usa. It's available too.

If only ali sites were open again
viXit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 23:39   #19
BHPian

Awesome work viXit! This gave me the motivation to work on my car's fog lamps alignment and connections. There is so much learning in DIY posts. Thanks for sharing.
Old 25th August 2021, 07:46   #20
BHPian

Good job there! The meeky horns which were on its deathbed were finally bid adieu. Would love to hear these in real life now :P

Also, isn't the thread a touch too long for a rather straightforward horn replacement? Eitherway job well done. Let's fix Manas' City over this weekend now :P
Old 25th August 2021, 08:34   #21
BHPian

Hey viXit! Kudos on the DIY!
City OEM horns are the worst! And the placement is even more vulnerable. Driving through rains was a huge problem! One splash the horn goes kaput till it dries out.
I had to replace 4 sets of horns till date. My mistake, mounting them at the original site. I had cycled through OEM horns which went bonkers and took the fuse with it. Then Had a bosch symphony, went off when water entered the trumpets. Then Stebel (thought pricier ones would do justice) were installed, but no, again the same issue arised. My fourth set is Roots Trumpet horn which I've mounted on the front Upper bulkhead rather than the OEM site. Do note my first three sets lasted for the first 2 years of ownership. After the change in site, the horns are safe from splashes and have been serving me well for past 3 years.

P.S. You do have maintained your car in its pristine state. Any tips and suggestions on that?
Aravind_M92 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 10:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Varun told me about your car too.
When are you in HYD again?

Shouldn't take more than an hour since I already finished doing it once.
Varun and I thought we could finish the job last Sunday afternoon as I was nearby and he was free .

I am right now in Vijayawada and might return this weekend. Hope you guys would be free to breathe new life into my withering Horn ! ( It is really a pain in the back on Highways with these horns )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post

Also, isn't the thread a touch too long for a rather straightforward horn replacement? Eitherway job well done. Let's fix Manas' City over this weekend now :P
The length of the thread is proportionate to his ridiculously remarkable homework and his walking survey of Ranigunj

And by the way, do we have to remove the bumper to fix the horn in facelifted City too ?

Last edited by poised2drive : 25th August 2021 at 10:44.
Old 25th August 2021, 11:43   #23
BHPian

Going through this thread makes me realise I should be writing a thank you note to Honda for coming to senses and changing the horn placement in 5th gen city. I got stock horns replaced within the next day of delivery with hella chrome , it was an easy task and opening of bumper wasn't needed thankfully.
BleueNinja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 14:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyas View Post
Awesome work viXit! This gave me the motivation to work on my car's fog lamps alignment and connections. There is so much learning in DIY posts. Thanks for sharing.
I entirely forgot that we left your fog lamp job half done.
Get well soon!

And come over with your fortuner, I hope there's still some work to do :P
We can have a DIY meet with Manas and Varun. Manas needs to change his horns too, and Varun's jetta always seems to have an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
Also, isn't the thread a touch too long for a rather straightforward horn replacement?
Haha, you could say.
Will size it appropriately next time onward. Just put everything on my mind down .

Quote:
Let's fix Manas' City over this weekend now :P
Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
I've mounted on the front Upper bulkhead rather than the OEM site. Do note my first three sets lasted for the first 2 years of ownership. After the change in site, the horns are safe from splashes and have been serving me well for past 3 years.
I had seen your post during my initial research for the horn placement and replacement. Initial plan was to mount it like you did. I was short on time.

When I finally get a hold of the connector, I will open it up again and do it just like you.

Quote:
P.S. You do have maintained your car in its pristine state. Any tips and suggestions on that?
Why, thank you

It's my grandfather's last car before he passed away. Hence the sentimental value. I don't let anyone touch the car except for myself. No daily cleaning either. Only nice washes twice a month or before a trip. Helps keeps the paint swirl free. Also it has a nice parking away from the elements.

Thanks to the bad roads and monsoons, I tend to use the safari more often. I like splashing water everywhere. Hence the safari preference in the rain haha
City is now mostly just doing airport or highway runs to the farm. So not a lot of wear and tear. It is a very temperamental car though. I got myself a can of tafetta white com paint for the rust spots. Might make another thread about that touch up job.

But trust me, if you think my car is clean, you should see friend and BHPian Sai_sailendra's vento. Showcars would be envious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post

The length of the thread is proportionate to his ridiculously remarkable homework and his walking survey of Ranigunj
hahaha
Quote:
And by the way, do we have to remove the bumper to fix the horn in facelifted City too ?
According the information I have on hand, yes. But it should not be a problem if we do it slowly and patiently. But I have also read that the facelift has few differences. Waiting for the weekend : )
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 11:48   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
Going through this thread makes me realise I should be writing a thank you note to Honda for coming to senses and changing the horn placement in 5th gen city. I got stock horns replaced within the next day of delivery with hella chrome , it was an easy task and opening of bumper wasn't needed thankfully.
Hi!

Do you have any pictures of the installation?
what kind of connectors were used?
Does the horn still use the same old connector?
Old 27th August 2021, 02:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hi!

Do you have any pictures of the installation?
what kind of connectors were used?
Does the horn still use the same old connector?
Hey!

Nope unfortunately I do no have the pics of installation as I was busy checking out the audio system upgrade work being done in the car. Afaik, they used the same old connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
No you don't need to.
Old 28th August 2021, 21:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
Hey!

No you don't need to.
Nice to know that !

Quote:

Please make a mental note of it