Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2020, 12:31   #1
BHPian

DIY - Cleaning the windshield washer nozzles

Hi, I recently faced a common issue where the spray from the windshield washer nozzles in my Passat was not effective. I mentioned this to the SA when I gave my car for service. He told me that the nozzles need to be replaced - which would cost about 6k each; luckily they were not in stock.

About two weeks back, I decided to see whether I could do a DIY.

Below is a step-by-step DIY

DIY - Cleaning the windshield washer nozzles-1.jpeg
Gently pull of the nozzle body after opening the bonnet

DIY - Cleaning the windshield washer nozzles-2.jpeg
The Nozzle has two connections - one for the washer fluid and the other one for heating the nozzle. Some cars may have only one connection for the washer fluid.

DIY - Cleaning the windshield washer nozzles-3.jpeg
Gently pry the lock in the coupling for the washer fluid connection. Do the same with the electrical connection - if it exists

DIY - Cleaning the windshield washer nozzles-3a.jpeg
The nozzle after removal before cleaning. Use an old toothbrush and liquid soap to clean all the dirt. Check that the nozzle passage is clear by blowing into the nozzle.

DIY - Cleaning the windshield washer nozzles-4.jpeg
Nozzle after cleaning

DIY - Cleaning the windshield washer nozzles-5.jpeg
Both nozzles cleaned

DIY - Cleaning the windshield washer nozzles-6.jpeg
Side view showing electrical connection for nozzle heating

DIY - Cleaning the windshield washer nozzles-7.jpeg

DIY - Cleaning the windshield washer nozzles-8.jpeg

DIY - Cleaning the windshield washer nozzles-9.jpeg

DIY - Cleaning the windshield washer nozzles-10.jpeg
The angle of the spray can be adjusted as shown in the above three pictures, use a fine torx screwdriver (not sure of the size - luckily I had it)

Refit the washer fluid connection and push the lock back to its locked position and check if the pipe is secured properly. Reconnect the electrical plug and fit back the nozzle.

Test the spray and adjust if necessary.
rpunwani is online now   (37) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 18:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY - Cleaning the windshield washer nozzles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Hi, I recently faced a common issue where the spray from the windshield washer nozzles in my Passat was not effective. I mentioned this to the SA when I gave my car for service. He told me that the nozzles need to be replaced - which would cost about 6k each; luckily they were not in stock.

About two weeks back, I decided to see whether I could do a DIY.
Fantastic DIY. This is a very good solution to a problem faced by many. I’m sure your thread is going to be helpful to many, especially the WAG owners.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 21:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Good DIY Job

May be the tap water(hard water)was the reason for the clog. I always use bottled water to fill the washer reservoir to avoid scale deposits. May add more life to the wiper blades too.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 18th December 2020 at 21:58.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 10:56   #4
BHPian

It's excellent that you did it yourself, saving 12k (!) in the process.

I didn't think that VW would use heated nozzles in India, I just assumed they would cut costs there. Though I've never owned or driven a VW here, so it was just an assumption.

I was quoted 1000 per nozzle for the same job in the same situation by Renault for my Duster. These are of course unheated nozzles. I told them to leave it, as I was sure they had not even tried to clean the nozzles.

I removed them myself and submerged them in white vinegar for a day and a half, and could then blow all the softened deposits out with just lung power. They're as good as new now.
RadixLecti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 14:09   #5
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

This is a great DIY. Din't know they have a heating element built in. This is where the cost goes up and people buying VW do not understand.

I did a similar clean-up for my Duster's choked washer jets. It has been described here.

DIY - Cleaning the windshield washer nozzles-gunk.jpg

It clogged was due to some dried leafy debris. However, I have had complete choking due to a sub standard ixtar washer fluid concentrate which turned into goo and choked the intake for the spray pump inside the reservoir. Had to use a bottle brush to agitate the goo out and had to do a number of drain, fill and over flow cycles to get it out completely.
Tgo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 14:13   #6
BHPian

I believe in prevention than cure, thats why I always fill the windshield washer with RO water along Colin glass cleaner and my washers have never choked in my life.
And BTW 6k for each washer nozzle is expensive IMO. They should have easily cut cost here as heating element in each nozzle is pure wastage in our weather conditions. It is amusing to see manufacturers cutting cost in key areas like safety and not giving a damn to optimization of product.

Last edited by Dr.Abhi : 19th December 2020 at 14:34.
Dr.Abhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 14:51   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Another option is to soak these nozzles in vinegar overnight proceeded by the cleaning by brush etc. The soaking lessens all the hard scales and other debris making cleaning more effective
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 15:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I recently faced a common issue where the spray from the windshield washer nozzles in my Passat was not effective. I mentioned this to the SA when
The angle of the spray can be adjusted as shown in the above three pictures, use a fine torx screwdriver (not sure of the size - luckily I had it)

R.
Thanks, but i didnt see you using any needle or pin to clean the nozzle up. how do one free up a jammed nozzle?
gopa99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 16:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
Thanks, but i didnt see you using any needle or pin to clean the nozzle up. how do one free up a jammed nozzle?
I cleaned it with liquid soap and a toothbrush. I have always used a windshield washer fluid, there was not much dirt in the nozzles. After cleaning I blew through them with air.
rpunwani is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 19:44   #10
Sen
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
I believe in prevention than cure, thats why I always fill the windshield washer with RO water along Colin glass cleaner and my washers have never choked in my life.
You mix the Colin into the windshield washer fluid? In what ratio?

Thanks for this thread, good DIY, rpunwani!
Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 20:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadixLecti View Post
It's excellent that you did it yourself, saving 12k (!) in the process.

I didn't think that VW would use heated nozzles in India, I just assumed they would cut costs there. Though I've never owned or driven a VW here, so it was just an assumption.
The Passat is very well equipped - I too was surprised to see heated nozzles
rpunwani is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 20:58   #12
BHPian

Quote:
And BTW 6k for each washer nozzle is expensive IMO. They should have easily cut cost here as heating element in each nozzle is pure wastage in our weather conditions. It is amusing to see manufacturers cutting cost in key areas like safety and not giving a damn to optimization of product.
The Passat is a CKD, guess it is easier to send parts of a standard vehicle rather than customize it for a specific country. There are parts of India where it snows & sale of cars is not limited to specific areas.
rpunwani is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 21:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
You mix the Colin into the windshield washer fluid? In what ratio?

Thanks for this thread, good DIY, rpunwani!
250 ml of colin in app. 2.5 to 3 litre of RO water. Dont put too much Colin as it can ruin the paint around windshield area.
Dr.Abhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 12:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
250 ml of colin in app. 2.5 to 3 litre of RO water. Dont put too much Colin as it can ruin the paint around windshield area.
I would rather use a dedicated windshield washer concentrate as Colin may damage the paint.

There are many windshield washer fluids - OEM ones, Sonax, etc and are reasonably priced.
rpunwani is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 22:20   #15
BHPian

Quote:
My God, is it that expensive? I have similar issue on my 2016 Superb (2nd Gen); it's completely chocked and my local mechanic said he tried all the possibilities to repair but failed and now ordered the part. When I checked in Boodmo it was there for around 1K each, so I didn't ask him for the quote.
₹itzylove is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks