Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2020, 23:38   #31
BHPian

Re: DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun560061 View Post
Hi,

Wow, never knew someone was searching for me !!

Its not an aux cable, its a mono jack (3.5mm) which is connected to the roof mounted mic.
Yes OEM coupler, I shall try to post a pic..
Yes indeed, there is a picture of your install on my desktop of my other laptop till now

Oh yeah! I forgot about the Mic.
Is there a way we can integrate the mic into the OEM location? I noticed, the clips aren't working for it. The only difference is that the aftermarket microphone is black and the oem one is beige. Other than that, I don't think there should be any problem. And how did the oem mic connect to the oem head unit?? was it with a mono jack or was it integrated into the OEM coupler?

Thank you so much, will await your picture
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 11:04   #32
BHPian

Superb DIY Parag, eye opener in terms of steering controls. I can finally think of changing HU of my Punto without worrying about losing steering control.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th January 2021 at 04:37. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
rkhare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:29   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Update: On yesterday, I placed an order for an all new Head Unit with Android Auto that will get delivered on 18th.
Justice delivered. The BT buttons were mute spectators to the functional stereo buttons in the absence of a compatible HU.

Without too much thinking, although I had almost shortlisted the Blaupunkt New York 750, especially after knowing that Bhpian was already using one and I had seen it too, I took plunge and got a juicy deal at 11889/- due to the recent sale on Flipkart.

Let the pictures talk:
DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-img_20201017_144901.jpg

DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-img_20201017_144908.jpg

DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-img_20201018_072919.jpg

DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-img_20201019_103838.jpg

DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-img_20201022_114232.jpg

DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-img_20201022_114301.jpg

DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-img_20201019_112452.jpg

DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-img_20201019_110102.jpg

The HU also came with a complimentary reverse camera that I am yet to wire.

Overall, the product performs as promised. The Audio quality is definitely better to my outgoing Kenwood U5130 BT by many notches. Android Auto is wired and I am trying to see if my phone can manage this wirelessly (else I may be forced to buy a new phone, LOL) since I have heard many phones support wireless Android Auto (I am new to this as of now).

The JBL GTO 609 components now sound a LOT better with this HU. Vocals are clear and the low end bass also fantastic when I compare this with the Kenwood unit that I had.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd October 2020 at 13:32.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 10:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

More and more proves you are in the wrong profession. You should have been in something related to automotive, maybe some research and development.

Any Android HU that can work with Linea without much fuss?

Last edited by funkykar : 5th November 2020 at 10:03.
funkykar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 10:19   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Worthy add on to your Ertiga Parag. These mid life upgrades gives one impetus to hold on to our cars for longer and provide the much needed refresh as well.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 11:19   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
More and more proves you are in the wrong profession. You should have been in something related to automotive, maybe some research and development.
+1. You are spot on here!
Quote:
Well pretty much all Android units are structurally the same. Hardly any difference. What you need to find is the surrounding face-plate that fits in the Linea's center console. This might be quite tricky given the Linea's low penetration in the market. For high selling cars, these faceplates are readily available as a kit with the head-unit. You'll need to spend some effort to find someone who has a Linea face plate to fit around the Android unit. Does the Linea have a sufficient space for a 2 DIN 9" head unit? I think it does.

Also - if a lot of body functions are integrated with your head units - it will be tricky to change it. CAN-bus decoder/adapter for a Linea might again be tricky to find with Indian suppliers.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 11:41   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Quote:
Also - if a lot of body functions are integrated with your head units - it will be tricky to change it. CAN-bus decoder/adapter for a Linea might again be tricky to find with Indian suppliers.
Sharing few images of the install from my friend's Punto/Abarth.

DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-img20201105wa0010.jpg

DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-img20201105wa0009.jpg

DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-img20201105wa0007.jpg
As you rightly say, the form factor for all Android HUs will more or less remain same. Also, there is enough space in the Linea to slide in the Android HU after taking out the OE HU.

DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-images-26.jpeg

Also notice enough space above and below OE HU except that the Hazard switch may be partially covered like you see in Abarth too.

And yes, all steering controls work on my friend's car.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th November 2020 at 03:28. Reason: Quote fixed.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 09:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Wow, never knew someone was searching for me !!

Its not an aux cable, its a mono jack (3.5mm) which is connected to the roof mounted mic.
Yes OEM coupler, I shall try to post a pic..
Any pics you can post, sir?

I had another question. I noticed that the OEM mic mounted on the roof plugs into a 3.5mm jack in the roof itself, that then makes it's way into the harness in the roof and goes down the left A pillar. Where does that wire go? Does it go to a male jack that I can plug into my aftermarket HU. Or is it integrated to the OEM harness?

I think there is a steering wheel controller installed in my car for my previous head unit. The blaupunkt touchscreen head unit that came with explorer edition.... But the weird thing is, there is a LED mounted on the roof with the OEM mic. The wires of that led are going into this little black steering wheel control box. What is that LED and what is going on here?

I wish I could open and test, bust my head unit screws are blunt thanks to an idiot audio installer. I have to drill them out now.

DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-inkedscreenshot_20210109100051_instagram_li.jpg

The mono jack with the foam protection, is that the OEM mic in??
I assume that the mic I'm running currently doesn't have to be there because of the old one.

Since there is insulation tape all over my main harness, I think it's fair to assume that some cutting and taping has been involved here. I hope I can work my way around that, I'm also fine with no Steering wheel controls because volume, source, seek, calls can be controlled with the buttons on my HU front panel without looking, since they're at my fingertips while I have my hand on the gearstick.

Last edited by viXit : 9th January 2021 at 10:17.
Old 14th January 2021, 02:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Any pics you can post, sir?

I had another question. I noticed that the OEM mic mounted on the roof plugs into a 3.5mm jack in the roof itself,
Sorry missed to update, I shall try to update the pics shortly.

And regarding the OEM mic, you can directly plug in the 3.5mm mono jack into the new HU, no need of new additional mic to be fixed.

And regarding the Led which you're referring which is placed on the mic tab is an IR sensor, which detects any movements within the cabin the car is locked. (Basically a alarm trigger). I might be wrong too but had got this info from a service tech.
Old 14th January 2021, 14:04   #40
BHPian

Quote:
And regarding the OEM mic, you can directly plug in the 3.5mm mono jack into the new HU, no need of new additional mic to be fixed.
Then I guess it's just a matter of judging the quality, I'd love to use the OEM mic itself. Love the embedded in the roof look.

Quote:
And regarding the Led which you're referring which is placed on the mic tab is an IR sensor, which detects any movements within the cabin the car is locked. (Basically a alarm trigger). I might be wrong too but had got this info from a service tech.
I have several times slept in my car while the alarm system was active, locked using the remote key and in the car. No alarm sounded.

My car even has a bonnet open/close sensor, but I'm not sure how it works. car locks without horn even if it's open. Any clue as to what that does?

I noticed that your car has an attached remote on your steering wheel, why was that added? Phone calls? Is it not possible to program one of the stalk buttons to it?
Old 15th January 2021, 00:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Any clue as to what that does?

I noticed that your car has an attached remote on your steering wheel, why was that added? Phone calls? Is it not possible to program one of the stalk buttons to it?
Alarm should go on in case the bonnet is open.

Since our car is an Ex, it doesn't come with stalk controls.
The one you have seen is a bluetooth steering control with its own battery in it.
And mine is a refresh storme with steering controls.
varun560061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 13:33   #42
BHPian

Amazing work! I never thought my 8 year old switf could ever get steering mounted controls until a fellow bhpian pointed me to this thread. My swift is rocking an 8 year old jvc kw400 and I am going to be ordering the blunpukt new york 750 and the steering wheel with bt and volume control buttons this week. I am not really a DIY guy and this looks a little complicated for me to try, I was wondering if there is anyone in Mumbai who has tried this and if we would be willing to do it for me or help me to do it along together? It would be of great help!
Old 1st July 2023, 22:51   #43

Hello everyone. Thank you for having me as a new member of this pristine forum. I would like to request Mr Parag Scahania to guide me on the DIY as to how I can fix horn assembly in ciaz hornpad. I am trying to fix this steering wheel in SX4.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks