Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2020, 20:40   #16
BANNED

Re: DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
I thought it would be nice to have the lights on even when doors are closed. There's no denying how cool the light look.
If I have understood your question correctly, in my Creta, the way I have wired them is the footwell lights can be:

1. Switched ON manually
2. They come on when any of the doors are opened
3. Completely Off

In this image, when the switch is in the central position (as seen in the image) the lighting comes ON when any of the doors are opened. If the switch is pressed to the left, they turn on irrespective of doors open or not. If the switch is pressed to the right, they are off completely
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-img_20180625_154213_copy_1600x900.jpg

Soldered the two words directly on one of the cabin light. If required, I can press that cabin light individually to turn on the footwell lighting other than the way described above. So I can either use the switch or the left cabin light to activate the footwell lighting
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-img_20180625_155424_copy_1600x900.jpg

Front
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-img_20180626_095031_copy_1600x900.jpg

Rear
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-img_20180625_190846_copy_1600x900.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 21:32   #17
BHPian

Great job, janakiram_m ! I have done something similar in my 5-door Gypsy. I got lights from AMAZON.IN, and wires & connectors from local shop.

Some differences -- Maruti Gypsy does not have theatre dimming effect in cabin lights, so I connected directly to battery through a toggle switch. This is more so to look for things dropped in the footwell than mood lighting. On the driver's side it helps with fuse replacement etc, as the fusebox is under the steering wheel.

Another difference is that I fitted LEDs in all three rows, my Gypsy having second forward facing row and third side facing baby seats in the dickey area. The third row LEDs help with luggage placing, looking for tools at night, etc., even though there are door-switch controlled lights on B and C pillars, both sides.

Third difference is that even though I wanted blue LEDs, the ones available were deep blue. As the lights were to be functional rather than decorative, I went for white. But I see that yours are pale blue, and I would have preferred those if I found them.

As for viXit's query, a4anurag has solved it nicely. A three-way switch, properly wired, is the solution !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 21:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If I have understood your question correctly, in my Creta, the way I have wired them is the footwell lights can be:

1. Switched ON manually
2. They come on when any of the doors are opened
3. Completely Off

[b]Soldered the two words directly on one of the cabin light. If required, I can press that cabin light individually to turn on the footwell lighting other than the way described above. So I can either use the switch or the left cabin light to activate the footwell lighting
The idea is so simple and at the same time, ingenious. No need for more switches or wire wizardry. Hats off.

But will there be any heating issue?
Old 24th August 2020, 21:43   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by janakiram_m View Post
But will there be any heating issue?
No issues so far - it's been 2 years 2 months since the footwell lights have been installed in my Creta.

The other thing is, IIRC, the cabin light to which the footwell lighting + puddle lights are connected to, are controlled by the BCM so the lights don't stay on for more than 30 seconds if nothing is done unless it is kept ON manually.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 00:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Step 6: Fixing LED light strips
The generic light strips came with adhesive but was not sticking to the plastic dashboard panel. Used 3M double side tape I had in stock with me to get the job done. They are good and considering the strips weighing very little, will hold on for a long time.
Attachment 2046473
Great DIY. A few good tips taken from your install. Thanks for sharing.

May I suggest something? Those LED strips look pretty exposed right now. Why don't you fix them inside some tubing, like say a transparent plastic hose or something? That will afford some sort of protection to the LEDs from scrapes and accidental short circuits. Of course you must check if there is heat build up in which case you must provide some holes for ventilation in the tubing.
SCORPION is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 06:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
May I suggest something? Those LED strips look pretty exposed right now. Why don't you fix them inside some tubing, like say a transparent plastic hose or something?
Thanks SCORPION. The LED strips have a protective transparent rubber layer on top. The soldered ends and connectors are a bit exposed, but are not likely to be tampered during daily use for any short circuits to happen. Like someone already suggested, foam tapes or heat shrink tubes are in my consideration to finish of that area as well.
janakiram_m is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 09:26   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks SCORPION. The LED strips have a protective transparent rubber layer on top.
I had used the tubing off the LED footwell lighting from one that came in a package purchased on Amazon. I used the tubing as it had 3M tape applied already which made easy work plus the black wire as it was almost correct for my application.

Used ONLY the strips as seen in the image below that had the pre-applied 3M tape. I cut the LED strip to length and push it inside this covering after soldering
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-img_20180507_183036_copy_1600x900.jpg

Front LED under dashboard
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-img_20180625_180104_copy_1600x900.jpg

Rear LED applied to seat rail frame
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-img_20180625_180018_copy_1600x900.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Why don't you fix them inside some tubing, like say a transparent plastic hose or something?

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th August 2020 at 09:50.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 15:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Short Introduction

Cost
  1. Soldering Kit (Including Iron, Solder and Flux)- Rs.150
  2. LED Light Strip (Generic 5m)- Rs.200
  3. Wires-Rs.50
  4. Connectors- Rs.20
  5. Insulation Tape-Rs.10
Time taken - ~2hrs
Great DIY. 2 quick question.

1: Which circuit controls the auto dimming effect? Is it placed inside dome lamp? Since you are taking connection from inputs (ground and door) of dome lamp (correct me if that's not the case), the auto dimming circuit must be before the dome light Relay.

2: If above assumption is True, can't we just Tap into dome light Relay (R6 relay of Tiago, see the image below)?

3: Does R6 relay have both the connections 12V+ and door?

4: What is the clean way to tap into a relay? Do we have fuse-tap equivalent for relays?

toroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 17:36   #24
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Short Introduction

During lockdown days, I was contemplating, among other things, which features I missed buying a Tiago XZA+ instead of an Altroz XT. I was not considering the obvious segment differences, but other small things that are visual/practical which create great value additions. Here's a list that I came up with:
  1. DRLs
  2. Mood Lighting (aka Footwell Lights)
  3. Dual Horn
  4. Boot Unlock with Remote Key
this is a good DIY. I liked reading through your simple explanation of the steps.

did you also manage to modify the car to include items 1 and 4 from your list- the DRLs and the boot unlock with remote key?
Old 28th September 2022, 20:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toroid View Post
Great DIY. 2 quick question.
Sorry I know I'm way late to reply to this. I'm not that technically inclined but you're correct with relay being before the light because the dome light setup didn't have anything else on it. Not sure about tapping to relay, other experienced members can help on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
this is a good DIY. I liked reading through your simple explanation of the steps.

did you also manage to modify the car to include items 1 and 4 from your list- the DRLs and the boot unlock with remote key?
The DRLs and the projector headlights lights come as an assembly so I'm looking forward to that when I change the lights. It has not happened till now because of budgeting constraints and. I had done some thorough brainstorming on the remote boot unlock though. The boot door uses only a conventional el-cheapo lock mechanism. To have the remote unlock, the actuator assembly lock thingy from Tigor needs to be installed. Also the wiring for the actuator needs to be connected to the central lock system. I'm not sure if we can connect it to any of the doors, thereby saving time or to the control box situated somewhere at the front. Since the remote unlock of boot has a unique sequence in the keyfob itself, I think the later needs to be done. And because I'm not very confident about doing all that risky business at the moment, keeping that in the back-burner for now.
janakiram_m is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed