Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2020, 20:39   #1
BHPian

DIY: Ford Figo cabin filter replacement

Hello everyone!

This is my first thread on the forum so please ignore mistakes if any..

I am not a highly technical person but love to fiddle with my car. I must say this lock-down has given us (enthusiasts) an opportunity to spend a lot of time with our beloved machines which is otherwise not possible in a normal busy life.

The Cabin Filter and Air Filter both were due for replacement and I replaced both of them but this thread will be particularly about the replacement of Cabin filter as the latter is comparatively easier to replace. But the question was how to get them amidst this lock-down (Ford does not have an option of over the counter sales either), somehow I managed to get them through an acquaintance of mine who happens to be a friend of the owner of Ford dealership.

I use my car these days, though occasionally, as I work in Health sector hence could not wait for the lock-down to end.

This is a very simple DIY and does not require any special tools just a simple Screw driver and Allen key.

Note: Cabin Filter is placed behind the center console and RHS trim Panel needs to removed to get access to the Filter as shown in the pictures below.

Removingthe main trim Panel.

It is secured with just a single screw and few locks, pull it out carefully at the places marked with arrows.

DIY: Ford Figo cabin filter replacement-img_20200422_135446.jpg

DIY: Ford Figo cabin filter replacement-img_20200422_124453.jpg

The whole trim will come out like this

DIY: Ford Figo cabin filter replacement-img_20200422_124922.jpg

Filter has a plastic cover as marked with the red box in the picture which has few screws. Remove this plastic cover and you will have access to the filter.

DIY: Ford Figo cabin filter replacement-img_20200422_171736.jpg

DIY: Ford Figo cabin filter replacement-img_20200422_130124.jpg

The filter has to be pulled out while pressing the clutch pedal as it comes in its way

DIY: Ford Figo cabin filter replacement-img_20200422_135609.jpg

New v/s the Old one

DIY: Ford Figo cabin filter replacement-img_20200422_194028.jpg

Slide in the new filter and put on the plastic cover back and you are good to go!

DIY: Ford Figo cabin filter replacement-img_20200422_135647.jpg

DIY: Ford Figo cabin filter replacement-img_20200422_130802.jpg

There is a considerable improvement, air feels more cooler and fresh than before..

Cheers!
Aafaq is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 20:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: DIY: Ford Figo cabin filter replacement

Nice and very informative.

I had no idea the Figo had a cabin air filter. Atleast the old gen didn't have one. I have a 2017 Aspire and will do this once the lockdown ends.

Ford does sell parts over the counter. I keep a stock of air filters that way. Do share the part number of the cabin filter as well.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 21:11   #3
BHPian

We have a single Ford dealership here and they do not sell OTC.

I am attaching a picture with the part number.
DIY: Ford Figo cabin filter replacement-img_20200422_205655.jpg
Aafaq is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 21:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Nice and very informative.

I had no idea the Figo had a cabin air filter. Atleast the old gen didn't have one. I have a 2017 Aspire and will do this once the lockdown ends.

Ford does sell parts over the counter. I keep a stock of air filters that way. Do share the part number of the cabin filter as well.
The old gen had one. Not paper based like this one but like a nylon mesh just like the filters of home air conditioners. It had to be taken out from the passenger side though.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 23:21   #5
RMN
BHPian

Thanks for this mate! I've felt that there is foul smell at times when I switch the Aircon on and wanted to try replacing the filter. Never looked up where it is and how much it costs. I'm going to be replacing this soon
RMN is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 00:12   #6
BHPian

Wow that's a long and complicated procedure to change the cabin filter. I hope there are no rattles after removing the panel several times during every replacement of filter.
In many cars including my Eon it's easily accessible by removing the glove box(it's a click mechanism) and directly accessing the cabin filter.
Storm2.0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 10:58   #7
BHPian

Re: DIY: Ford Figo cabin filter replacement

Wow! Ford hides the cabin filter under a trim panel in the Figo? I think all other cars (from my experience) have it behind the glovebox, which makes it much easier to replace.
vikred is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 10:58   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent! Something that can be done at home easily with your crisp write up & precise pictures for the steps. This filter in almost all cars is hidden from sight. That means we take the ASC's word about cleaning / replacing it. Nothing better than a guaranteed DIY replacement that leaves no doubt - and is joy for those who like to get down and dirty!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 11:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Wow that's a long and complicated procedure to change the cabin filter. I hope there are no rattles after removing the panel several times during every replacement of filter.

In many cars including my Eon it's easily accessible by removing the glove box(it's a click mechanism) and directly accessing the cabin filter.
No this panel is secured with a good locking mechanism and it does not rattle at all.

Yes in most cars it is placed behind the glove box with easy access..

Last edited by Aafaq : 23rd April 2020 at 11:50. Reason: Quote and typo error
Aafaq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 11:56   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aafaq View Post
No this panel is secured with a good locking mechanism and it does not rattle at all.
Yes in most cars it is placed behind the glove box with easy access..
I liked this placement in the Figo to be honest. Single panel removal did it. In the cars where it is behind the glove box - the whole glove box needs removal - some of which is by flexing & pulling the panels that are "press fit" rather than screwed. This implementation in the Figo is cleaner with a screw fitment.
Old 25th April 2020, 12:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I liked this placement in the Figo to be honest. Single panel removal did it. In the cars where it is behind the glove box - the whole glove box needs removal - some of which is by flexing & pulling the panels that are "press fit" rather than screwed. This implementation in the Figo is cleaner with a screw fitment.
In the two cars that I have owned Hyundai i20 and VW Vento, the location has been behind the glove box but the replacement did not involve removal of glove box at all - there is a small panel that needs to be pulled out post which you can pull out the cabin air filter. Its so easy that it takes less than 5 mins to open/clean/put back the filter. It was one of the easiest DIY.

Also, regarding paper vs mesh like someone mentioned above - many a times you can replace the mesh filter with a paper one. I had done the same for my i20 and it was a genuine Hyundai supported part with which I did the replacement. In my opinion, Paper filters are better for Indian scenario with the dust levels we have. Only thing is you need to replace it once/twice a year based on where you drive and how much you drive.

Mods : I think we have multiple threads with cabin filter replacement specific to each car - may be it would be great if we can merge them into one thread and provide a link on Page 1 for each branch and car.
Rahul_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 19:24   #12
BHPian

EcoSport facelift also has a similar setup for the Cabin filter but I find it tricky to remove the RHS panel and I do not have the right tools as well to do this as a DIY. The FASS folks itself take about 20-25 min to replace this filter.
Old 26th April 2020, 00:58   #13
BHPian

Maruti Alto & Zen - Cabin filter replacement

For the last several years - I brushoff and airblow the cabin filter every month and replace it once in 6 months for my Zen and Alto.

The airflow and chillness effect drastically improves when the filter is brush cleaned or replaced.

The placement of the filter seems to be little challenging in Ford.

In Alto and Zen, its placed behind the glove box and does not need any tools. It can be completely done with bare hands as its all on clips. The glove box too can be released from its postition to access the filter console without any tools.

I usually get the filter from a closeby MGP outlet and the part number mentioned on it for Alto is MANN-FILTER CU 17 001 . Its priced around Rs 300 and comes with the plastic lid (refer image below) that holds the filter in its console.

Here is an old but nice video on the importance of cabin filter and how it works.

Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Ford Figo cabin filter replacement-cabin-filter-alto.jpg  

Last edited by rubicon : 26th April 2020 at 01:19. Reason: Addition of more relevant information.
rubicon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 09:25   #14
BHPian

Well explained step by step instructions makes it easy to follow and replicate at home. Thank you. However, I too am wondering why ford made it such a chore to replace a cabin filter. No other car I know apart from Nano has such a long procedure involving tools.

In most cars, including my hyundai tucson, you open the glove box, remove a small tab with your fingers to the let the glove box hang, pull out the air filter, insert the new one and fix the glove box back. All in 2 minutes and no tools!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks