Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2018, 18:21   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

DIY: Rear View Camera Installation in the S-Cross 1.6 Zeta!

Maruti has skipped rear view camera in S-Cross 1.6 Zeta, but touch screen HU is provided which is same as Alpha variant. Mr. Ravinder from Hyderabad has successfully installed OE rear view camera in his S-Cross 1.6 Zeta and the display is on HU too. He wants to share the procedure in detail, so that it would be helpful for other S-Cross 1.6 Zeta Owners. The below content is fully written by him and I am just posting it here .

S-Cross 1.6 Alpha and Zeta come with the same Touch Screen Infotainment System(SLDA in Maruti lingo) provided by Bosch. The Zeta has a notable exception, the rear view camera.

With the ever narrowing parking spaces and the need to conjure them up in the busy streets and markets, the rear view camera makes its need felt regularly. It is even more indispensable for a vehicle of the size of the S-Cross. Right since driving my S-Cross 1.6 Zeta for initial few kilometers, I was determined to get a rear view camera installed. As aftermarket fitments meant adding one extra screen on the dashboard, I wanted to find one that can be integrated with the touch screen display.

When I compared the SLDAs on Alpha and Zeta, the immediate question that hit me was if it was possible to put the stock camera on the Zeta, providing it connectivity to the SLDA. On multiple and persistent queries, NEXA, NEXA Care, and MASS, all had the same curt reply, "Not Possible".

My curiosity was further whetted by a lack of reasoning and support documents in the responses provided to me. Urged by the curiosity, I decided to plod on. As the SLDA comes from Bosch, I contacted Bosch customer care next, which never bothered to reply to my queries.

As the last resort, I took it upon myself to figure this out. Next couple of months were spent in scouring through various fora about camera circuits, infotainment units etc., targeted primarily on Suzuki vehicles. All this hard work yielded some circuit diagrams (shared later). A studied analysis of the circuit diagrams convinced me that my original question about putting a stock camera on the Zeta should be answerable in affirmative. Once, I got all the theoretical knowledge about the system and connection points I wanted to verify it against an S-Cross Alpha setup.

The verifications with an S-Cross Alpha confirmed my understanding so far. The only thing that the Zeta required was a connecting cable running from the SLDA to the rear camera port. This cable should be a 3-core shielded wire type. Taped on to the cable should be a flexible wire, which ensured that the same Ground is maintained through the length of the shield.

I wanted a clean solution without any joins, cutting, or splicing of the wires. In Alpha, the connection from the SLDA to the Camera is not one wire. It actually consists of multiple wires (each belonging to a different wiring harness) plugged together. Maruti may have thought about flexibility of replacement while following this approach, however, I preferred a single cable.

The next hunt was for the cable and connecters. A single cable is not sold by Maruti/NEXA as a part due to the reason mentioned above. To have access to the complete connectivity from SLDA to the Camera, I was advised to purchase all wiring harnesses which contained any part of the complete connection. The price of which would be around INR 20K.

After the disappointment from Maruti, I decided to figure the cabling out myself. Even though I knew the specifications for the cable from looking at the circuit diagrams and Alpha cables, I did not know the names, types or specification for the connectors that would be required. After covering the length and breadth of Hyderabad, talking to various electronic marts and car decors, only useful information I received was that these connectors were rare and so was any credible knowledge about them. Adding to that, the cable could not be purchased for a random length but could only be sourced as a 100 M bundle.

I decided to go by visual clues and whatever vestiges of information are provided on AliExpress product descriptions. I gazed intently at the product pictures of all available connectors on AliExpress and picked the ones categorized under Auto Connectors and visually matched the requirements best. I purchased the cable from electronics mart(purchased at Delhi and shipped to me courtesy Saurabh, a fellow member of the S-Cross owners group). To complement the connectors and wire, I also purchased all required tools from AliExpress and Amazon. As I kept finding each vital part required for the installation my confidence kept increasing and so did my expenditure.

Following is the summary of the installation procedure. I’d like to make a recommendation that only people who are familiar with auto electronics and who have significant persistent, patience and skills, should try this procedure themselves(at their own risk J). I also explicitly renounce any responsibility for anyone frying their equipment or causing any incidental damage in the process of following this procedure. All risk arising out of following this procedure is born by the person choosing to follow it.

Pre-requisites:
1. 3 Core shielded wire

2. Flexible wire

3. 5 pin and 4 pin Auto Connectors

4. Engineer Inc. PA-20 Precise Universal Wire Terminal Crimping Tool

5. Cello Tape

6. Pliers

7. Screw driver

8. Tools to open rear door panel, A/C Vents and SLDA

9. Spring for wiring installation in boot door

10. Couple of meters of 1mm copper wire

11. OEM Camera

Preparation of Camera cable:

Connect the cable to the 5 pin connect as shown in the circuit diagram enclosed. 5 pin (Green) connectors will be plugged into the infotainment system and 4 pin (white) one into OEM camera in the boot door.

Installation steps:

Procedure to open the infotainment system:

Procedure to open the glove box:

Procedure to open the door sill guards:

Below is the link to get the wiring through boot door which is the toughest part of the installation.

This installation is applicable for all S Cross 1.6 Zeta as well anyone who wants to SLDA bought from other users where the vehicle doesn’t get it from factory to install stock rear view camera.

Few Pics :

SLDA Circuit
DIY: Rear View Camera Installation in the S-Cross 1.6 Zeta!-img20180613wa0058.jpg
Camera Input
DIY: Rear View Camera Installation in the S-Cross 1.6 Zeta!-img20180613wa0066.jpg
DIY: Rear View Camera Installation in the S-Cross 1.6 Zeta!-img20180613wa0065.jpg
Clean solution for installation
DIY: Rear View Camera Installation in the S-Cross 1.6 Zeta!-img20180613wa0064.jpg
OE rear view camera connection on rear door
DIY: Rear View Camera Installation in the S-Cross 1.6 Zeta!-img20180613wa0063.jpg

If anybody has any doubts or need help, they can contact Mr. Ravinder at ravinder.iitkgp@gmail.com.

Cheers!

Reverse camera in action : Feature missed the most by S-Cross 1.6 Zeta owners
DIY: Rear View Camera Installation in the S-Cross 1.6 Zeta!-img_20180613_191243.jpg
Before : Empty Slot
DIY: Rear View Camera Installation in the S-Cross 1.6 Zeta!-img20180613wa0084.jpg
After : Rear cam installed
DIY: Rear View Camera Installation in the S-Cross 1.6 Zeta!-img20180613wa0083.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th June 2018 at 19:23. Reason: posts merged
Dr.Naren is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 10:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY: Rear View Camera Installation in the S-Cross 1.6 Zeta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Maruti has skipped rear view camera in S-Cross 1.6 Zeta, but touch screen HU is provided which is same as Alpha variant. Mr. Ravinder from Hyderabad has successfully installed OE rear view camera in his S-Cross 1.6 Zeta and the display is on HU too. He wants to share the procedure in detail...
Excellent DIY.

Food for thought. Incase you don't have an OEM touchscreen system, you could try to source the Ciaz Zxi/Zdi (Zeta) IRVM, and the OEM camera. Should be a neater solution than most aftermarket options. I was considering it for my Punto (as it would add an auto dimming IRVM as well), but the high cost of it put me off. However for someone wanting an OEM solution, it is good.

I think this is the part no. as per Leoshashi's post.
Part No: 84703M57L10
Price: Rs. 18,655
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 09:43   #3
BHPian

Wow great post. I greatly admire those who do it themselves. Mine being a 1.6 zeta, I got this done immediately after purchase. Nexa showroom told me it's not possible. I got it done at Technokart Chennai. It took two hours for them to do it. Costed me around 10,000 Rs. I was apprehensive about updating the system but there were no problems on updating the system.
Dani7766 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 14:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani7766 View Post
I got it done at Technokart Chennai. It took two hours for them to do it. Costed me around 10,000 Rs. I was apprehensive about updating the system but there were no problems on updating the system.
Nice!

Could you share more details about the wiring and connector used? OE reverse camera costs around 6k. Did you pay the rest for wiring and labour?
Old 15th June 2018, 14:18   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post

Could you share more details about the wiring and connector used? OE reverse camera costs around 6k. Did you pay the rest for wiring and labour?
I'm a technically challenged person. I have no clue of what was used. I got this done in march 2016. I got to know he's a reliable guy and he had done this earlier for my brother in law's Passat. I also got a light upgrade done. All put together costed around 14,000 Rs. Only thing which could have been better is the viewing angle. Hope it was slightly higher. Mine is more focused downwards. Though it helps in identifying objects closer to the car, a slightly upward angle is what I would prefer.
Dani7766 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 14:47   #6
BHPian

Great DIY!!

I didn't realize that routing the wires through the back door was a pain in the butt! But your video is super helpful for something I am going to do this weekend.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 01:31   #7
BHPian

Bump.
Really great DIY!
Will definitely attempt this on my Ignis Zeta. The head unit is different(Harman) but connectors look same, will confirm again before installation.
Old 30th December 2020, 11:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynike99 View Post
Bump.
Really great DIY!
Will definitely attempt this on my Ignis Zeta. The head unit is different(Harman) but connectors look same, will confirm again before installation.
Were able to do this ? I am awaiting my Ignis Zeta delivery. A.S.S has a camera as stock but they say it will be drilled on the bumper which I don't like. Please update if you were able to get this done.
Old 30th December 2020, 12:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueSteer View Post
Were able to do this ? I am awaiting my Ignis Zeta delivery. A.S.S has a camera as stock but they say it will be drilled on the bumper which I don't like. Please update if you were able to get this done.
Yes, I did it successfully. Will update in the Ignis thread soon.
ynike99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 14:45   #10
BHPian

May I know where you sourced the cable from ? And what exactly is it called ? TIA
Old 22nd June 2024, 19:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

https://kwidcarsolution.in/product/m...iring-harness/

I came across this on this site while looking for the same thing for a swift. Have ordered for Swift, will update my experience

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks