Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2016, 13:27   #46
BHPian

Re: DIY Install & Review - The Mini 0806 Dash Camera

I also took a plunge and ordered this camera. First time with a foreign supplier. Hoping to get it soon. Cheers.
Old 22nd April 2016, 17:28   #47
BHPian

Anurag Bro, awesome write up. It certainly helps noob like me for hardwiring. I do own a Ertiga and haven’t progressed beyond changing roof light & repairing fuse of 100/90W headlight bulbs relay (Electrical changes). I am in process of buying dash cam for my car. Thanks to your detailed instructions. Your post has not only helped me choose the dash cam but also with installation (read hardwiring) part of it.

P.S. - I already have bookmarked Auto Dimming rear view mirror installation .
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 20:16   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Switch is happening. Just checked it yesterday. In auto mode I mean.

But for my daily usage, I'll be using it with a single card. Second card would be kept as spare inside. I keep clearing videos if there is nothing significantly worthwhile to store. Hence space in the cars isn't an issue.
Good to know it's working for you. Just check it a few times more to be sure even if you do not plan on using two cards at a time.

On a side note, I've ordered the CPL for the 0806 and am going to try to use it somehow with the 0805.

If it fails, will definitely get the 0806.

A very nice and detailed review , I must add. Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 23:38   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post

On a side note, I've ordered the CPL for the 0806 and am going to try to use it somehow with the 0805.
Sure, will keep an eye on the card switching functionality. I have read on the most of the forums that it the card switching works but is too erratic and it becomes unpredictable with every firmware update that they release. Henceforth I have decided not to update as an when a new one is released. Will check for the comments and then decide.

Initially during the search, I was looking at 0801 but was discouraged from getting it due to it going kaput because of heating. Hence I turned to look at 0805 but was suggested by BHPian FarPatel to look at 0806 because it better and also supports CPL Filter where the 0805 doesn't. I didn't want to do jugaad to try and fit the CPL on the 0805 which made me increase my budget and go for 0806.

I have learnt a new problem in the Time Stamping during the recording.

There is no chance to select the time zone specific to India = +5:30.

The cam allows only to select time zone like: +2, +3, +4, +5 and so on. The +30 minutes thing is not possible hence all the videos recorded are with a lag of half an hour from real time. Not a major glitch but a minor irritant.

Last edited by a4anurag : 23rd April 2016 at 23:49.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 06:30   #50
BANNED

With over 14 days from installation and 1600 kms of driving with the MINI 0806, here's what I feel

As of now I am very happy with the cam. She is performing well and taking the Hyderabad heat very well. No lag or handing issues faced till now also the adaptation issue that I had mentioned in Page 1 of the review, I haven't seen it happen again so I can safely put it off as a one-off case and push it back in my head.

Today had a airport run and here are the details of the data recorded from the dashcam.

The resolution I used for this video recording is 1920x1080 29fps in HDR Mode.

Technical data for the whole bunch of videos recorded from start to end of the run
DIY Install & Review - The Mini 0806 Dash Camera-airport-run.jpg

Details etc from Registrator Viewer
DIY Install & Review - The Mini 0806 Dash Camera-airport-run-dashcam-data.jpg

After I have learnt to use the CPL filter correctly for the best results, I am actually not happy with using the CPL filter for videos recorded at night time as the end results are darker videos that it is actually. The advantage lesser glare and minimal reflections of street lights on dashboard.

After the near-100 km drive today, I felt that night time videos are best recorded without the CPL filter as it better to view them. I have attached two screenshots of the video with and without CPL Filter.

With CPL Filter
DIY Install & Review - The Mini 0806 Dash Camera-night-cpl.jpg

Without CPL Filter
DIY Install & Review - The Mini 0806 Dash Camera-night-without-cpl.jpg

What say guys?

Am I missing something or are any settings that need to be changed to get better videos at night with CPL filter attached?
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 07:39   #51
BHPian

22nd April order placed, on 25th Gearbest says order shipped with Netherlands Post. So far so good.
Cheers.
Abhay.
Old 29th April 2016, 22:40   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Am I missing something or are any settings that need to be changed to get better videos at night with CPL filter attached?
Bump up the EV (exposure compensation) in menu settings, should definitely help, or you could try turning the CPL for a brighter view during evening and nighttime.
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:55   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Bump up the EV (exposure compensation) in menu settings, should definitely help, or you could try turning the CPL for a brighter view during evening and night time.
With the CPL, the camera is like it wearing sunglasses and is not in mood to brighten up and respond to lighting conditions faster. Once the brightness is achieved the video is clear but when I am in a dark part with only me on the road, the video goes too dark.

If the CPL is turned to the brightest setting, glare is evident and is more or less like No-CPL condition.

I am studying the different setting trying to understand how to get things right.
Old 3rd May 2016, 17:32   #54
BHPian

The primary function of the CPL in this application is to reduce reflections and cut glare, the trade-off is losing approximately 2 stops of light, which is resulting in the darker video.

Only option is to play with the Exposure compensation settings and if the result is still not satisfactory, remove the CPL at nighttime or turn it to the brightest setting and live with the glare.

My CPL has arrived, waiting for the rest of the DIY material from Amazon. Will update you if I have any better luck with nighttime video.
Old 15th May 2016, 17:50   #55
BANNED

Quote:
My CPL has arrived, waiting for the rest of the DIY material from Amazon. Will update you if I have any better luck with nighttime video.
Any update as I see you have done the DIY on your 0805 successfully.
__________________________________________________ _

As I had initially told that the time zone setting is not for the 30 minutes and it allows only full hours to be selected, the website just has received an update (May 2016) with the issues addressed.

Quote:
2016.5.07 - The one I installed!
  1. Added half time zone for special country
  2. Updated firmware time from Jan.04.V06 (Apr.26)

1. Manual set to card A, but return to B after reboot - solved
  2. Added "reset setting" after firmware upgrading, suggest to reset
  3. Power on with low battery, the camera will alarm long time and not record - solved
  4. If LOW SPEED CARD, camera stop recording - change to record again after buffer
  5. When card full, can't switch to another card - improved
  6. Change default player to RV
RESULT:

I took a chance and updated but it isn't working still.

Firmware - Old - Jan, 2016
DIY Install & Review - The Mini 0806 Dash Camera-img_20160515_172956.jpg

Firmware - New - May, 2016
DIY Install & Review - The Mini 0806 Dash Camera-img_20160515_173603.jpg
Old 15th May 2016, 18:29   #56
BHPian

Still playing around with the EV and Metering. For now, EV set to +2 and metering to Spot, seems to be working better than Average and Centre due to the HID's.

Number plates of cars right in front are not readable in-video due to the intensity of the projectors in Average and Centre metering modes, hence Spot is working out better in my case.

I have seen the videos posted by you earlier. Only way to get a slightly brighter view is to set the EV to +2 or remove the CPL post evening. Do remember to set the EV back to 0 in the day or the videos will be overexposed.

Will add videos showing the difference soon.
Old 29th June 2016, 18:05   #57
BANNED

Been long since I have posted anything in this thread.

Sadly there is nothing significant that I can add here. It is functioning flawlessly.

I have set the resolution at 1280 x 720 @ 60 fps 16:9. This is the best setting as clarity is good for both Day and Night plus doesn't eat up memory.

Here's a video that was shot enroute work driving through heavy rain.

Last edited by a4anurag : 29th June 2016 at 18:07.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 15:37   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Still playing around with the EV and Metering. For now, EV set to +2 and metering to Spot, seems to be working better than Average and Centre due to the HID's.

Number plates of cars right in front are not readable in-video due to the intensity of the projectors in Average and Centre metering modes, hence Spot is working out better in my case.

I have seen the videos posted by you earlier. Only way to get a slightly brighter view is to set the EV to +2 or remove the CPL post evening. Do remember to set the EV back to 0 in the day or the videos will be overexposed.

Will add videos showing the difference soon.
Here are a few videos showing the Mini's performance with the CPL in low light conditions.

These were taken at 1296p with WDR - on, metering - centre. Ev at default.

Spot was making the plates readable but made everything around darker rendering the footage illegible.

I think these settings work best for better night footage from the 0805.

The HID setup does help a lot with the illumination for brighter night video, especially on unlit roads.

The last video is a daytime comparison with and without the CPL.
Old 7th September 2016, 11:19   #59
BHPian

Excellent thread, rated 5 stars!!!

Team-BHP is blessed with such gurus of D-I-Y!!!

On a side note, me being novice in automotive arena, yet to take plunge and change the most basic headlamps of my 1 year old Aspire which are pretty useless at times to say the least!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!
novicefreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 12:45   #60
BHPian

Thanks a4anurag for posting this article. Buying a dashcam was always at the back of my mind but was not able to finalize the same. This article did bring clarity and has helped me to make a decision. There are various options available in the market like Transcend DP 220, viofo a119, mini 0806, Garmin 35 and Street Guardian SG9665GC. Garmin 35 and Street Guardian SG9665GC were ruled out on the basis of the costs. After going through many reviews on Team BHP, it seemed that mini 0806 was more VFM as compared to Transcend DP 220 and viofo a119.

I was able to find the items i.e.
Dashcam: http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_138841.html?wid=21
Memory Card: http://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Class-m...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

As i am a novice as far as wiring/fuses are concerned, could you please provide the link for Hard Wiring Kit on GearBest and Amazon.in.

Most Viewed