Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2015, 20:01   #31
BHPian

Re: VW Polo DIY: Mk7 Flat-bottom Steering wheel upgrade

Hi Gannu,

I have viewed your modification threads several times and am simply amazed. Besides being an inspiration to others, you have balls of steel (Pardon my language).

If i buy a VW vehicle in future be it a Vento or a Polo, I will surely look at your links again for possible mods.

I have a question though, Any particular reason for you not opting for the steering with paddle shifters. Is it some form of compatability issue with the BCM or you dont like shifters altogether.
manishkapadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 20:27   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
I have a question though, Any particular reason for you not opting for the steering with paddle shifters. Is it some form of compatability issue with the BCM or you dont like shifters altogether.
Paddle shifts are meant for automatics. They are of no use in a manual car. So, a steering wheel with paddle shifts is for GT TSi that has a 7 speed dual clutch automatic gear box, not for GT TDi, which has a manual gear box. And Gannu's car is a GT TDi.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 20:43   #33
BHPian

My Bad. I completely missed that you have a Stick Shift Manual transmission. I think i got confused seeing your mod along side FrankMehta' s TSI thread .
Old 6th December 2015, 15:59   #34
BHPian

The seller is stating freight charges to be delivered in USA also. Infact as per their web page, they charge the same to be delivered in Mexico also. Why 90$ of std shipping and 140$ of Fedex shipping even inside Mexico? Any idea?

I was waiting as one of my brother's friend's friend was coming from USA and thought of saving that 140$ , but now only noticed these charges.
Old 17th December 2015, 01:23   #35
BHPian

Hi Gannu,
I'm planning to source the wheel from either gcptuning or vwrtuning depending on availability. Could you please provide a few more details about the modified harness loom so that I can explain it better to the supplier (gcptuning; Rick has a clear idea but is more expensive)

Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 23:11   #36
BHPian

Just ordered the Steering wheel for my GT TSI from vwrtuning. Can't wait to get my hands on the paddle shifters
Old 24th August 2016, 18:20   #37
BHPian

Hi Gannu,

Great DIY! Am a big fan of all your DIY's

Is it possible to fit this steering for a Polo Trendline? If yes, what would be the components that would need to be changed for it to work? Also, is there a non-airbag version for the MFSW steering?

Thanks!
Old 26th January 2017, 01:14   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilkhurana View Post
Just ordered the Steering wheel for my GT TSI from vwrtuning. Can't wait to get my hands on the paddle shifters
I see that you live in Bangalore, may I know where you're planning on getting it installed?
My only caveat is that I have no clue where to get it installed once I order it online. Please let me know!
Old 27th January 2017, 13:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepravi View Post
I see that you live in Bangalore, may I know where you're planning on getting it installed?
My only caveat is that I have no clue where to get it installed once I order it online. Please let me know!
Why dont check with user ventoman who has installed it and provided information in his reviews (link)
vin_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 09:23   #40
BHPian

Dear Gannu, I am picking up a 2016 Vento TDi DSG this week. Super excited to own my first DSG car.

I am looking to upgrade the steering to the one with Paddles. MK7 wheels are expensive and I want to upgrade to to a similar wheel as my current just with paddles. This way i save money on the airbag as well.

Can you please advise:

1. Will this be plug and play? I think it should
2. I am not able to spot a wheel with my specifications and paddles online (MFSW without cruise + paddles) and vagtune has very high prices. Please suggest a website.
TIA
Old 2nd May 2017, 01:17   #41
BHPian

Hi, Gannu, though it's been a while, was wondering if you came across any new updates on whether it is possible to have the cruise control function moved from the stalk controls to a suitable steering wheel which has the cruise control on the wheel itself?

Also for such types of steering wheels that incorporate the cruise control function on the wheel itself, what happens to the media control and other functions that are on the stock steering wheel?

I have a 2017 Polo GT TSI and i guess it is also called as the 6C on other international VW forums? Or is it the 6R as some part numbers on the cars still have 6R denoted
Old 7th October 2017, 14:50   #42
BHPian

Hi Gannu, I swapped my Vento GT TSI steering wheel with a GTI MK7 steering wheel with Paddles following your DIY thread. On completing the swap while checking everything seemed to work except for the Horn. The horn, no matter how hard I try pressing the airbag did not work. Any pointers as to what could I be missing?
Old 7th October 2017, 19:46   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetzap View Post
Hi Gannu, I swapped my Vento GT TSI steering wheel with a GTI MK7 steering wheel with Paddles following your DIY thread. On completing the swap while checking everything seemed to work except for the Horn. The horn, no matter how hard I try pressing the airbag did not work. Any pointers as to what could I be missing?
Please check the fuse for horn. It may have blown. When the rest of the controls work, I don't see a reason why the horn shouldn't.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 00:22   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Please check the fuse for horn. It may have blown. When the rest of the controls work, I don't see a reason why the horn shouldn't.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try to check the Horn Fuse tomorrow. The audible lock and unlock alarms are working though, not sure if they still sound with the horn fuse blown.
Old 8th October 2017, 01:01   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetzap View Post
not sure if they still sound with the horn fuse blown.
Then the fuse isn't the culprit.

Have you ensured that you have pushed the central airbag module inside the steering wheel properly and the 2 clips on the either side have locked itself in place?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks