Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2015, 14:46   #1
BHPian

VW Passat DIY: Replacing the Wiper blade element

Hi, I would like to share this easy DIY with fellow VW Passat Owners

Background: The Passat B7 wiper blades 24" for Drivers side and 19" for the Passenger side are not easily available. After having spent a couple of hours searching on the internet I found one website "www.vwgenuineparts.co.uk" which was selling the wiper blades (for RHD cars) for about GBP 17 per piece. Add courier & custom charges & it became cheaper to get the wiper blades from VW Downtown, Mumbai. The blades cost INR 1,533 per piece. Total cost of replacement approx. Rs. 3,100.

Since I had the old blades, I decided to dismantle them to see if I could change only the rubber element. Please see the attached photos, which are self explanatory.

I decided to buy Hella Dyna Edge blades for replacement of the rubber blade elements, since these blades are graphite coated like the original wiper blades on the Passat. . I got the Hella Dyna Edge blades on "epitstop.in" for Rs. 1,170 & they were delivered to my home in 4 days. The rubber blade elements on the Dyna Edge can easily be removed. Just push back the tip of the blade at either end of the blade. At one end you will see a large oval hole from where the blade element has been inserted. Grab the edge of the rubber blade element and gently pull it out of the housing.

On dismantling the rubber blade elements I found that they had extra material on the top side (opposite side of the blade). I trimmed this very carefully using a scissor. After trimming, it became quite easy to slide the rubber blade element on the original wiper blade spring. A little difficulty was encountered at the centre during sliding the rubber element due to the extra width of the Dyna Edge Blade Element. However, this was accomplished in 2 - 3 minutes.

Once the rubber blade element was in place, all that was required to be done is fit back the aerofoil sections & clip the end pieces back.

Viola - new wiper blades for about 35% of the cost of new blades !
Attached Thumbnails
VW Passat DIY: Replacing the Wiper blade element-img_2653.jpg  

VW Passat DIY: Replacing the Wiper blade element-img_2654.jpg  

VW Passat DIY: Replacing the Wiper blade element-img_2655.jpg  

VW Passat DIY: Replacing the Wiper blade element-img_2656.jpg  

VW Passat DIY: Replacing the Wiper blade element-img_2657.jpg  

VW Passat DIY: Replacing the Wiper blade element-img_2658.jpg  

VW Passat DIY: Replacing the Wiper blade element-img_2659.jpg  

rpunwani is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 15:18   #2
BHPian

re: VW Passat DIY: Replacing the Wiper blade element

Thanks Rpunwani! Very informative, Future wiper costs saved

Where can we get the rubber element for the wiper? Aliexpress?
Old 9th April 2015, 16:57   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved to Tech Stuff. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10th April 2015, 10:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Thanks Rpunwani! Very informative, Future wiper costs saved

Where can we get the rubber element for the wiper? Aliexpress?
Crazy_Bean,

I bought the Hella Dyna Edge wiper blades from "www.epitstop.in" as mentioned in my earlier post & removed the elements from there. There is a cheaper alternative, which costs Rs. 300/- per wiper blade in Mumbai; but these blades were not graphite coated.
rpunwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 08:06   #5
BHPian

thanks rpunwani for your detailed instructions. My passat wiper blades on the passenger side has a tear and it is making all the unwanted noises when operating. Looked up your thread and ordered the blades thru industrybuying.com , Same brand (Hella). Price comes to Rs.2170/ for Driver+Passenger side. Will post my experience after installing them.

Team-BHP is great.
Old 18th September 2015, 10:50   #6
BHPian

Re: VW Passat DIY: Replacing the Wiper blade element

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
thanks rpunwani for your detailed instructions. My passat wiper blades on the passenger side has a tear and it is making all the unwanted noises when operating. Looked up your thread and ordered the blades thru industrybuying.com , Same brand (Hella). Price comes to Rs.2170/ for Driver+Passenger side. Will post my experience after installing them.

Team-BHP is great.
I have gone through this monsoon season with the retrofitted blades and they are still in great shape
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 09:10   #7
BHPian

I got the blades and replaced the passenger side set fully. It was a simple procedure . I did not have to take out the wiper element. The package itself came with many adaptors and the correct one that fits Passat was also there. So I just took out the old wiper and put the new one. So far there is no occasion yet to use it - thanks to the failed monsoon but hoping that it will last.

I enquired at the Kun VW dealer in chennai about 2 months back about getting the original blades. They are yet to respond. So much for the dealer support.
Old 7th October 2015, 12:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I got the blades and replaced the passenger side set fully. It was a simple procedure . I did not have to take out the wiper element. The package itself came with many adaptors and the correct one that fits Passat was also there. So I just took out the old wiper and put the new one. So far there is no occasion yet to use it - thanks to the failed monsoon but hoping that it will last.

I enquired at the Kun VW dealer in chennai about 2 months back about getting the original blades. They are yet to respond. So much for the dealer support.
Nice to know that hella provided you with all the adaptors for the Passat. When I ordered mine, I only got the blades and the adaptor for the standard hook type wiper arm. Would be nice if you could post a picture of the adaptor for the drivers side.
Old 20th June 2016, 09:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Hi, Glad you posted. Industry buying has two varieties of wipers for passat from Hella.
1. Curvo: Which they claim is compatible with Passat but is not actually. It is a successor to DynaEdge that rpunwani got.

2. Hella European Wiper: This is what you must have bought. These come with adaptors and are compatible. These are also 50% more expensive than curvo.

I want to order wipers for my car too, too bad I dont have a TIN number to do so and no other website seems to be selling them. Any inputs?
Old 23rd June 2016, 15:21   #10
BHPian

Hello , I lost my car in the chennai floods and the car is no longer with me. I don't have a picture of the wipers also.

Instead of experimenting, my suggestion would be be go with Hella Dynaedge sold by Industrybuying.com - They are cheaper than original but still good quality. You may not want to risk scratches in your windshield glass with wipers that don't fit well. I got mine for Rs.2300/- which I feel is a decent price for a premium sedan. Go for it, you will not regret it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks