Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2014, 23:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY Fix : Ford Fusion / Fiesta 1.6L check engine light issue

@jerry_can: can you please update us on how your DIY has worked over the past year? Did you face the dreaded Engine warning light again?

In my case, it vanished on its own, only to surface once in February. So far so good. In my next service due in August, I'll speak to the seniormost service advisor in Mody Ford to see if he can replicate this.

This apart, do you know how to access and clean the air filter? I don't want to experiment without expert advice. I saw a video on youtube saying that the 1.6 duratec is the world's most difficult to access air filter.
Old 9th April 2014, 02:07   #17
BHPian

Hi @vnabhi,
Sorry for the late response, it's been a bit hectic at work.
My DIY has been very successful, till now no recurrence of the Warning Light at all! My guess is that it's a case of the sensor getting fouled by the that slight gummy residue which is probably caused by the quality of fuel or some external influences (e.g. some service stations tend to wash the engine bay with diesel which is a terrible idea). In warm temperatures that residue probably wouldn't condense on the sensor but during winter time it does and that causes the sensor to malfunction. Cleaning the sensor seems to have done the trick for me, it's been over a year now, let's see how long it lasts.
As for the Air Filter, it is a pain to access it but not as bad as the Youtube video makes it sound. It's a lot easier if you take out the whole Air Box completely by disconnecting both the intake as well as the outlet hoses. Then you just have to undo all the many bolts on the underside and it comes apart to reveal the filter.
jerry can is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 03:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry can View Post
@vnabhi:
Feel free to write in if you have any more queries, i'm happy to be of help

Hello Jerry Can!
I still own a 2007 1.6 Duratec petrol Fusion.
Off late, the instrument cluster has been lighting up like a Christmas tree even when the car is off! to be more specific, all the lights remain on, thus draining the battery in no time.
I've approached Ford, and the only way they have, is for me to replace the cluster costing 23 grand!

Is there any other way around this?
I'm ready to send the cluster across anywhere if it can be repaired.
Any suggestions are most welcome.

regards,
HR.
Old 26th October 2014, 13:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleroadster View Post
Is there any other way around this?
I'm ready to send the cluster across anywhere if it can be repaired.
Any suggestions are most welcome.

regards,
HR.
Hi HR,
Looks like there's some kind of short inside the instrument cluster. A good/knowledgeable auto electrician should be able to find a way of fixing it. See if you can find an electrician who's known to be good, avoid unknown guys. I will ask around over here in Delhi and see what the chaps here say.
Alternatively, you could try and source a used cluster. Internally, the fiesta and Fusion clusters should be exactly the same so it shouldn't be too hard to get. I heard that some good mechanics in Goa can source such parts from Bombay.
In the meantime, to stop the inconvenience of battery drainage you can ask the ford guys or your local mechanic to remove the fuse for instrument cluster lights, you'd be without a fully functional cluster but at least the car will start when you need it, and also the battery will be protected from frequent drainage. I'll get back once i get any concrete info or a better solution, but do keep us posted here.
jerry can is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2014, 16:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Alternatively, you could try and source a used cluster. Internally, the fiesta and Fusion clusters should be exactly the same so it shouldn't be too hard to get.
Hello Jerry can.
First off, a big thank you to you for your comment. After what seems to be an impossible task here in goa, I'm really glad to hear out from somebody about the problem.

Well the car is right now at the local mechanic's garage here in goa. You are right about fusion and fiesta cluster being the same. He tried fitting one fiesta cluster just to check where the problem lies. The cluster was an exact fit!
What he has mentioned is that its not possible to start the car without the cluster in place. I will try to get him to start the car and then disconnect the cluster meanwhile.

Choice is very limited when it comes to good electricians and technicians here in goa. Will try to source out for the same and will keep posting.

Many thanks once again
HR.
Old 6th December 2014, 10:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Hi HR,
Looks like there's some kind of short inside the instrument cluster.
=====
I'll get back once i get any concrete info or a better solution, but do keep us posted here.
Hello jerry can!
Have managed to sort out the problem with the cluster.
Managed to get hold of an ex ford guy in Pune. He solved the issue in 3k flat. Like you mentioned there was a short in the cluster which he managed to repair.I'm so happy to have the fusion up and running again!! Even after owning the polo tsi, nothing ,till date gives me so much of the fun factor that the fusion does! Or again I'm just used to it!!
But thanks a ton for trying to reach out and help. Just thought I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
HR.
Old 8th December 2014, 01:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleroadster View Post
Hello jerry can!
Have managed to sort out the problem with the cluster.
Just thought I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
HR.
Hi HR!
I'm so glad that you got it fixed, and at such a reasonable cost! I was wondering what the situation was at your end, as I spoke to my guy this afternoon only. but he's been giving me the run around for 2 weeks now. not easy to get used clusters i guess.
But anyway, it's great that your Fusion is back on the road , keep us posted ...

Best Regards
Old 12th March 2015, 11:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to jerry can! Your guide helped!

Did a complete cleaning of the Throttle body, MAP sensor and Air filter Housing.

This is how dirty the Throttle body was after 5 years and 42,000 KM!
DIY Fix : Ford Fusion / Fiesta 1.6L check engine light issue-1.jpg

Used a Throttle body cleaner which cleaned up everything nicely!

Forgot to take pictures after the cleaning.

Removing everything was quite easy.
My trouble started while trying to assemble the tubing back.
The Tube connecting the air filter housing to the throttle body is connected by this strange clamp.
DIY Fix : Ford Fusion / Fiesta 1.6L check engine light issue-2.jpg

This Clam is very difficult to put back. The lack of space and my large hands made matters worse
DIY Fix : Ford Fusion / Fiesta 1.6L check engine light issue-3.jpg

Tried for over an hour, fully frustrated gave up.
DIY Fix : Ford Fusion / Fiesta 1.6L check engine light issue-4.jpg

Used a Zip tie to fix the tubing back and started the car.
No error codes! Phew!

Went to a near by plumbing store and got a brass clamp.
Used this to fix the tubing properly.
DIY Fix : Ford Fusion / Fiesta 1.6L check engine light issue-5.jpg

DIY Fix : Ford Fusion / Fiesta 1.6L check engine light issue-6.jpg

The car felt smoother in start stop traffic. The acceleration also felt smoother.

Quote:

_
Hi Jerry,

Does the Fusion use a similar clamp to connect the air filter housing to the throttle body ?
Captain Slow is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 13:09   #24
BHPian

Good job, Capt.
And yes these clamps are a pain, even in the Fusion. I had to seek professional help (local mechanic) to get the clamp off without damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post

Hi Jerry,

Does the Fusion use a similar clamp to connect the air filter housing to the throttle body ?
jerry can is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 20:15   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good job, Capt.
And yes these clamps are a pain, even in the Fusion. I had to seek professional help (local mechanic) to get the clamp off without damage.

You need a special tool to undo and specifically re-attach them. It can be done without the special tool, but not easily. Nice to see some good DIY maintenance on their cars.

Jeroen
Old 12th March 2015, 21:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Nice to know that things have improved, Captain Slow. Can you share the name of the brand of throttle body cleaner and its cost?

Going by your experience, I guess I'll get it done at a FNG, rather than DIY. If at all the light troubles me, that is. This winter, it came on only once.
Old 13th March 2015, 12:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Nice to know that things have improved, Captain Slow. Can you share the name of the brand of throttle body cleaner and its cost?

Going by your experience, I guess I'll get it done at a FNG, rather than DIY. If at all the light troubles me, that is. This winter, it came on only once.
Used a brand called CRC, (CRC Throttle body cleaner)
I never got the check engine light, just a little curious and wanted to clean it myself!
Captain Slow is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 12:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Used a brand called CRC, (CRC Throttle body cleaner)
I never got the check engine light, just a little curious and wanted to clean it myself!
Captain , If I am right, you have 1.2 Figo on which this was done?
This is long pending on mine as well which has run 36k kms and I think my weekend is planned already.

Could you let me know where in Bangalore you picked up the cleaner spray from?
Old 13th March 2015, 13:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Captain , If I am right, you have 1.2 Figo on which this was done?
This is long pending on mine as well which has run 36k kms and I think my weekend is planned already.

Could you let me know where in Bangalore you picked up the cleaner spray from?
Hi Tharian,

yes this was done on my 1.2 Figo.
You may not get CRC products easily in the local market.
I got quite a few CRC products via friends/relatives when they were coming back.

You can buy this one, Or try getting 3m products.
I would recommend this one, we have used it and found it to be OK.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/SWE-Car-Engin...item27f758acbd

For the MAP Sensor -
I MAF cleaner,

Disclaimer -
(I am not associated with the brand or the seller in any way)

Last edited by Captain Slow : 13th March 2015 at 13:28.
Captain Slow is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 21:39   #30

Ford Fiesta Classic: Powertrain Warning Light nightmare

This post is meant for Ford Fiesta Classic owners who would face this issue at some point during their ownership, although I have heard similar issue with atleast one Ecosport owner, not sure if this is a more common issue with Ford cars. I also understand that the Classic has been discontinued, a lot of used Classics are floating in the second hand market, buyers can check this before betting their hard earned money.

Last winter, I had a terrible time starting up the car in the morning. I own a 2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol clocking 87k kms, I have never had any issues with the car until then. This issue was reported by more Diesel owners than Petrol, probably because of the preferred fuel and cars available in India. When I started the car on a cold morning (and sometimes warm morning as well), all lights on the dash would come on and go off except "Powertrain" warning light. This is the exclamatory mark within circular cogs in yellow colour. When this light is on, you would lose power on the throttle. Press as much throttle as you want, there will be 10%-15% of power coming in, the vehicle will struggle to move even after you press the gas pedal to the metal. You switch off the engine, wait for 10-30 seconds, start again and the engine behaves normally. All warning lights go off and you have the 100% power at your disposal.

Initially I was really worried with this but when I searched online for the reason before taking it to a service station, I found the web literally flooded with Ford Fiesta users worldwide complaining about this. When I took the car to the service station, obviously they did not believe it as it happened only during a cold start and did not happen everyday to be able to prove to them. They checked everything fine and gave a clean report that nothing was wrong with the car, but I kept suffering this. After about 2-3 weeks, it would happen more frequently, when I parked the car in my office basement for the entire day and start the car to leave from work in the night, this warning would come up and the vehicle will struggle to move. I had to switch off and switch on again, sometimes it required 2 to 4 times switch off and on, then the car would function without any issues for the entire trip, even if you stop the vehicle in between, the car would start fine without issues.

Some of the workaround provided by other Fiesta users which did not help them either:
1. Check for Throttle pedal sensor
2. Clean air filter
3. Check clutch pedal switch
4. A loose injector
5. Change glow plugs
6. Fuel injector reset if the car has clocked 150k
7. And many more, you might just google it

After many visits to Ford service centers and Bosch service center without much luck, the last thing which I did, unknowingly, is to replace my car batteries and viola, this solved the issue completely. When I bought the car, it had a 40AH battery which got replaced with a 45AH Amaron Flo battery. I just couldn't believe this. In the past 4 months since I replaced the battery, you know how many times I had this warning lights come on, ZILCH. That's right, not even once. To me, although the issue has not occurred in past 4 months, curious to know if I have found the right fix, if it will haunt again next winter, what is the right fix for such an issue.

The car experts here can throw some light and educate us if there is an explanation to this.

MOD: I am still learning to navigate through the website, request you to move it to the right thread.
Petrolhead007 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks