Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 13:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Elephant Truck @ Thrissur

The Motor Vehicles Department does not have a specific set of rule for the transportation of the dosmesticated animals such as cattles,elephant,camel etc.

But I have seen custom made trucks for the transportation of race horses called horse float.

Some of the trucks which carry chicken and ducks are not at all designed in an eco friendly manner , a motorist or a pedestrian can't even follow a chicken truck.

Spotted near to my home , an elephant carrier

Here comes a custom built truck which can be rented exclusively for transporting elephants !

It has inbuilt steps for the ease of elephant , It has a First aid box filled with emergency medicines especially for the elephant.

It has a water tank fitted on the roof of the driver cabin and a pi[pe fitted on the back of the cabin so that the mighty mammal can drink water wile he travells

It has a foldable roof.

It has a strong structure so that the elephant can be tied to.

More over the driver cum owner of the truck loves the elephant a hell lot , so that he came up with this idea.
Attached Thumbnails
The Elephant Truck @ Thrissur-e.jpg  

The Elephant Truck @ Thrissur-e1.jpg  

The Elephant Truck @ Thrissur-e10.jpg  

The Elephant Truck @ Thrissur-e11.jpg  

The Elephant Truck @ Thrissur-e2.jpg  

The Elephant Truck @ Thrissur-e3.jpg  

The Elephant Truck @ Thrissur-e4.jpg  

The Elephant Truck @ Thrissur-e5.jpg  

The Elephant Truck @ Thrissur-e6.jpg  

The Elephant Truck @ Thrissur-e7.jpg  

Old 7th June 2010, 14:19   #2
BHPian

This is indeed a great thread and information... TFS Foby.sebastian.. I have seen lots of elephants being tortured during the festival seasons esp in central Kerala.. hope this mode of transportation will help the poor animals
Old 7th June 2010, 14:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

It is good initiative from Truck Owner who loves Elephants.
Now torture free travel for elephants - let them also enjoy the ride.
Old 7th June 2010, 14:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice find Foby, like Nair above just mentioned, let them enjoy their ride too !
Old 7th June 2010, 14:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Waaaw now people like this (Truck Driver), More than deserve appreciation and honour.

Not all humans can actually think from an Animal's point.
Old 7th June 2010, 15:35   #6
BHPian

Foby,
this is great intiative by the owner for poor elephents in our state.I know Trissur always stands for that poor animal.thanx Foby for the info.

Raj
Old 7th June 2010, 15:35   #7
BHPian

wow. this truck looks so well maintained too along with its thoughtful initiatives like providing water tanks for the mammal...Every living being in the universe deserved to be treated with respect and such initiatives provide reassurance.

Kudos to the creator of the truck !
Old 7th June 2010, 16:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think the elephants are not that OK with this mode of transportation. In one episode of "E 4 Elephant" in Kairali TV, a tusker simply got annoyed due to a lorry drive. After reaching the venue (some temple in South Kerala) he overturned the lorry to fix his anger
Old 7th June 2010, 16:30   #9
BHPian

Wow, this seems to be a good mod. Water tank and steps for the giant. And information pasted on the side of the truck, I just love it. A very good initiative I would say. I have always felt pity for the elephants during festival season when they get little rest.
Old 7th June 2010, 18:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I think the elephants are not that OK with this mode of transportation. In one episode of "E 4 Elephant" in Kairali TV, a tusker simply got annoyed due to a lorry drive. After reaching the venue (some temple in South Kerala) he overturned the lorry to fix his anger
Well, that lorry didn't have a tank to quench his thirst, you see.

This is a well thought of idea. The mahout can spray some water from time to time on the gentle giant keeping him cool.
Old 7th June 2010, 20:46   #11
BHPian

Definitely an elephant lovers endeavor. A real thought of idea. Kudos to the creator of the truck.
Old 7th June 2010, 22:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
Definitely an elephant lovers endeavor. A real thought of idea. Kudos to the creator of the truck.
We should appreicate the effort of the owner. It is nice to hear there are still so many animal/Elephant lovers out there.
It looks like the truck is not maintained that well and looks quite old. As a token of appreciation, we should macro finance and help the owner buy a slightly biggesr truck(10 wheels), with slightly lower floor and air suspension. Even the vehicle manufactures (read Tata) could help with this cause (Ratan Tata himself is a big animal lover). Also local elephant lovers like Actor Jayaram could defenitely chip in.
I believe Guruvayoor devasyam owns the largest no of Elepants and mostly temples own elephants. It may be a good idea for the Devasyam board to buy a custom built elephant carrier ( I know the Devasyam Board runs luxury coaches for pilgrims, so they are not new to transportation)
Old 8th June 2010, 20:38   #13
BHPian

some peice of information regarding the tempo traveller in the 4th pic. that one is actually a tempo exel which was custom built as an ambulance for aswini hospital, then converted to a mobile mortury with freezer and now its sold and rebuilt as a tourist vehicle!!
Old 8th June 2010, 20:45   #14
BHPian

Nice truck. I've seen elephants being transported on trucks. They wave out to the roadside crowd with their trunk. Its like they are more than happy not having to walk all the way!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks