Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2012, 08:06   #796
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
What are the benefits of a Railbus?
They are smaller and cost lest to operate. They are lighter than regular trains and hence can be operated to smaller routes - in such branch lines, the tracks have lesser weight capacity.

Railbus is basically a bus that runs on tracks. On some sections in India, I heard you can get tickets on board the 'bus' itself.
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 23:23   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Volvo to release Hybrid buses (7700 series) in Bangalore - 105 seater !

Volvo hybrid bus to hit Bangalore roads soon - The Economic Times
The one in Auto Expo is a LHD version.
But how come a LH version be offered for a trail.

Old 25th January 2012, 02:10   #798
BHPian

Is there a seating layout for this hybrid bus? 105 seats seems to be a lot.
Old 25th January 2012, 14:50   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Is there a seating layout for this hybrid bus? 105 seats seems to be a lot.
I doubt if they can "seat" 105 passengers. The combined capacity will be 105 - probably 60 seats and 45 standees. Many of the newspapers provide half-baked info, similar to this - seating capacity of 105

EDIT:
Is the 7700 Hybrid a multi-axle bus? Me thinks the newspapers have got it mixed up with the 7400XL multi-axle city bus, and the 7700 is only as long as an 8400LE. So, the bus must be able to carry the same number of passengers as an 8400LE city bus.

Last edited by silversteed : 25th January 2012 at 14:56.
Old 25th January 2012, 16:49   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
....Many of the newspapers provide half-baked info, similar to this - seating capacity of 105.
You are right!

Volvo may be giving the 7400 XL - which has seating capacity of 105

or

7700 Hybrid - But I wonder how Volvo can register a LHD bus in India ( may be with a test / temp certificate)
Old 8th February 2012, 21:06   #801
Senior - BHPian

Sutlej Lexia

Sutlej Lexia - used for site seeing.

The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)-p030212_15.14.jpg

The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)-p030212_15.16.jpg
Old 8th February 2012, 21:34   #802
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sutlej Lexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Sutlej Lexia - used for site seeing.
I've seen it many times.

It's a mixture of TM and Leyland! Front axle and hub from TM, Steering and meters from Leyland. Is it using a Cummins engine + ZF transmission?
Old 19th February 2012, 01:16   #803
BHPian

The new AL Viking buses of KeSRTC [2011 Pamba season] have 9.00 R 20 tyres and Dana Spicer [ - type] rear axle, the older ones had 10.00 R 20 tyres and Meritor [(.) type] rear axles.
Old 20th February 2012, 14:10   #804
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sutlej Lexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I've seen it many times.

It's a mixture of TM and Leyland! Front axle and hub from TM, Steering and meters from Leyland. Is it using a Cummins engine + ZF transmission?
Sure of Cummins engine and not sure of ZF trans!
Old 20th February 2012, 21:46   #805
BHPian

I just had these doubts in my mind for a long time. I was just wondering -

- What engines are in those AL Cheetahs from a couple of years ago that had the screaming chicken sound (remember the Hi-Techs of KeSRTC built by TVS, Harsha etc). I rarely saw a truck with the engine that sounded so, it was always buses. One of them runs right in front of my house and its an awesome soundtrack to be honest.

- What Tata engine makes the annoying sound like a whistle in a certain rev-band. Once I got to ride in a KeSRTC (only bus I know that made that sound, plus a few trucks) and it got so irritating.

- Also, there's this AL engine in some local buses that sounds similar to a Volvo (a deep rumble sort of sound instead of the muted sound with the newer engines in AL) I don't know how to put it exactly. It sounded very industrial, not like any AL truck even.

Hope I get my doubts cleared. Thanks.
Old 20th February 2012, 23:02   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post

- What engines are in those AL Cheetahs from a couple of years ago that had the screaming chicken sound (remember the Hi-Techs of KeSRTC built by TVS, Harsha etc). I rarely saw a truck with the engine that sounded so, it was always buses. One of them runs right in front of my house and its an awesome soundtrack to be honest.

- What Tata engine makes the annoying sound like a whistle in a certain rev-band. Once I got to ride in a KeSRTC (only bus I know that made that sound, plus a few trucks) and it got so irritating.

- Also, there's this AL engine in some local buses that sounds similar to a Volvo (a deep rumble sort of sound instead of the muted sound with the newer engines in AL) I don't know how to put it exactly. It sounded very industrial, not like any AL truck even.

Though i don't have an answer for your post, i do admire the growl of Leyland Cheetah buses and it's one of my favourite along with TATA 407.

Not sure regarding the TATA buses, is it the Cummins engines or the TATA 697 Series? TATA engine (697 or so) does make some hissing noise, but normally they are quiet whem compared to Leyland.

In Leyland, the Hino Series engines with turbo charger does sound different but I think what you refer is NA series.
Old 20th February 2012, 23:43   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
Though i don't have an answer for your post, i do admire the growl of Leyland Cheetah buses and it's one of my favourite along with TATA 407.

Not sure regarding the TATA buses, is it the Cummins engines or the TATA 697 Series? TATA engine (697 or so) does make some hissing noise, but normally they are quiet whem compared to Leyland.

In Leyland, the Hino Series engines with turbo charger does sound different but I think what you refer is NA series.
How did the Cheetahs get sounding so mean, the usual sound is loud but not orchestral in any way.
Old 21st February 2012, 05:39   #808
Senior - BHPian

I think the sound is got to do more with after-market silencers that these guys fit

The TATA whistling sound is definitely the CUMMINS TCIC
Old 21st February 2012, 12:56   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post

AL viking buses with Hino Euro1/BS1 engines had these sound (exhaust). As you said the easily identifiable are those KeSRTC HiTech buses. Cheetah buses had slightly different sound & was locally known as Hino Super! Not sure what difference it had technically!

The whistling sound is made by the Cummins engined Tata buses/Trucks.

The old buses with Leyland engine sounds similar to Volvo.

Meanwhile, the latest BS2 / BS3 AL Hseries engined buses are very silent and have beautiful sound from exhaust like turbo whistle.
Transsenger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 13:46   #810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Meanwhile, the latest BS2 / BS3 AL Hseries engined buses are very silent and have beautiful sound from exhaust like turbo whistle.
The new BS3 Leylands with EDC engines making a slightly harsher noise - similar to the noise of those 1510TCICs supplied to KeSRTC. The ones with IL Mechanical pumps are silent.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed