Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 08:38   #601
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)

Has SETC started adopting BS4 buses for its operations, considering the fact that its not legally necessary to do so yet??
Old 31st August 2011, 10:30   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnath View Post
Guys, do you have any idea about the type of chassis used for these 12m SETC UD Buses?
1> 12M BS3 EDC 183 hp (135 kw) @ 2500 rpm
2> 12M BS3 IL MECH 160 hp (118 kw) @ 2400 rpm
3> 12M BS4 CRS 225 hp (165 kw) @ 2500 rpm [THE AL WEBSITE MENTIONS THIS MODEL AS 12M BS3 CRS]
As per the AL website all the 3 models in 12m range have 6 speed GB.
Does IL MECH stand forinline FIP and mechanical governor?
IL MECH stands for Inline FIP and Mechanical Governor. I'm guessing that SETC would've gone for option 2.
Old 31st August 2011, 11:23   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

The official TN state colour is going to be green for the next 5 years

Whenever I see such new buses being flagged off in TN, I can only see them as half hearted measures and are nothing more than publicity stunts.

1. There is no capacity addition in majority of the cases, it's only replacement.
2. These buses will be left to rot in less than a year due to the lack of maintenance.

They should budget the 3 years maintenance cost of a bus and apportion the same even before commissioning the bus.
Old 31st August 2011, 13:41   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, do you have any idea about the type of chassis used for these 12m SETC UD Buses?
1> 12M BS3 EDC 183 hp (135 kw) @ 2500 rpm
2> 12M BS3 IL MECH 160 hp (118 kw) @ 2400 rpm
3> 12M BS4 CRS 225 hp (165 kw) @ 2500 rpm [THE AL WEBSITE MENTIONS THIS MODEL AS 12M BS3 CRS]
As per the AL website all the 3 models in 12m range have 6 speed GB.
Does IL MECH stand forinline FIP and mechanical governor?
The recent additions to SETC are 12M SS3 EDC - 183HP.
The details mentioned in the AL website stands right.
23M CRS is available in both BS III and BS IV versions. BS IV version is currently powering ULE and the BS III version in ULE and 12M

Last edited by Ashley2 : 31st August 2011 at 13:47.
Old 31st August 2011, 13:50   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
The official TN state colour is going to be green for the next 5 years
Even the blue lines in MTC are now changed to Green:-)
Old 3rd September 2011, 17:41   #606
Senior - BHPian

First of all, thanks to binaiks for the tip off about the updating of Volvo buses website.

I noticed a separate section mentioning B9R and B7R "chassis". Time for top body builders to man up and offer 3rd party Volvo buses.

May be Tata can even bring in Hispano's entire range of buses to India. They can offer the customer a choice of Tata or Volvo chassis, and may be in future even Leyland and Mercedes chassis too.

Irizar and other top bus makers of Europe will definitely be coming in in a few years time.
Old 3rd September 2011, 18:32   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I noticed a separate section mentioning B9R and B7R "chassis". Time for top body builders to man up and offer 3rd party Volvo buses.
I guess the introduction of AIS:052 would bring in a level of quality among third-party body builders as well. I am not very sure if Volvo is offering Chassis along though - would be great if they start selling Chassis, perhaps with the option of choosing the body builder as well.
Old 3rd September 2011, 18:41   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I guess the introduction of AIS:052 would bring in a level of quality among third-party body builders as well. I am not very sure if Volvo is offering Chassis along though - would be great if they start selling Chassis, perhaps with the option of choosing the body builder as well.
The AIS standard, can bring in certain quality to the building. But I dont think it can bring in the design finesse or design capabilities of bus manufactures like Hispano, Dennis, Irizar, or Irisbus.

Going by the fact that they have mentioned a separate section of "Chassis" in their website, something missing earlier, I think they may be providing chassis only as well now.
Old 5th September 2011, 16:33   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I can say "AIS:052 would bring in a level of standardisation among third-party body builder" instead of " AIS:052 would bring in a level of quality among third-party body builder".
Hope you agree with me Binai!

Wrt Volvo website I could say its completely confusing.
The Coaches spec are for India and the chassis spec are from International market.
With no chance of Volvo offering chassis to sale in India unwantedly I think its bringing confusion wrt spec in the buses.

Additional Info : Volvo is working on bigger B11R chassis for the upcoming projects.
Old 5th September 2011, 16:50   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Wrt Volvo website I could say its completely confusing.
The Coaches spec are for India and the chassis spec are from International market.
With no chance of Volvo offering chassis to sale in India unwantedly I think its bringing confusion wrt spec in the buses.

Additional Info : Volvo is working on bigger B11R chassis for the upcoming projects.
Most likely the chassis specifications are for people buying all over Asia, or for wherever they export chassis from India too. Thus it offers all the customisations possbile for chassis based out of India. But the specifications for the fully built coaches are only for ones being sold in India.
Old 6th September 2011, 08:52   #611
BHPian

Quote:
SETC ULTRA DELUXE AIR BUS
SETC has introduced new AL 12m bus for the UD Segment.
These buses have 6200WB, 10 wheel bolts.
The body is built by KMS COACH BUILDERS.
These buses have 12 rows x 4 = 48 seats, 6 speed GB.
A small correction. These buses do not have AIR SUSPENSION.THe bus is fitted with a normal Axle suspension.Tender is released for building 48 Seater SD buses on 12M chassis. SETC stickers it as Ultra deluxe buses. There is no AIR BUS marking in these new buses.
ranjithrnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 21:23   #612
Senior - BHPian

Is there any major difference between Cummins 6BT and the IsBe engines wrt operation and performance.
AFAIK, there is nothing much of difference .

Last edited by Ashley2 : 6th September 2011 at 21:33.
Old 7th September 2011, 07:27   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any major difference between Cummins 6BT and the IsBe engines wrt operation and performance.
AFAIK, there is nothing much of difference .
There is a lot of difference between the ISBe and 6BT engines used in India. The ISBe has been released internationally in about 2008, and it had almost 60% of its parts changed from the older B-series ones.

First and obvioulsy most important of all, its of a different capacity, 6.7L vs the old one's 5.9L, though I am not sure how exactly this change in capacity has been achieved. The new head is also a 4 valve per cylinder OHC configuration for all variants, allowing for a vertically mounted injector. The new engine has been designed from day one to use common rail injection as well as be ready to meet upto Euro5 regulations without major modifications. The ISBe are also considerably lighter than the previous 6BT engines.

Overall, there has been a considerable jump in power and torque from the B-series engines. 6cyl version are now available from 180-300hp ranges, while 4cyl ones in 130-200hp range. The older engines were available with a peak torque of about 800nm at most, while the newer ones are available with upto 1100nm of peak torque. In fact the new ISBe engines were so good, that Cummins has retired the old 8.3L C series engines, and is now offering them only for Euro2 markets.

So basically, there is quite a lot of difference 6BT and the latest ISBe engines.

Last edited by julupani : 7th September 2011 at 07:48.
Old 7th September 2011, 08:21   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
There is a lot of difference between the ISBe and 6BT engines used in India. The ISBe has been released internationally in about 2008, and it had almost 60% of its parts changed from the older B-series ones.

First and obvioulsy most important of all, its of a different capacity, 6.7L vs the old one's 5.9L, though I am not sure how exactly this change in capacity has been achieved. The new engine has been designed from day one to use common rail injection as well as be ready to meet upto Euro5 regulations without major modifications.

Overall, there has been a considerable jump in power and torque from the B-series engines. 6cyl version are now available from 180-300hp ranges, while 4cyl ones in 130-200hp range. The older engines were available with a peak torque of about 800nm at most, while the newer ones are available with upto 1100nm of peak torque. In fact the new ISBe engines were so good, that Cummins has retired the old 8.3L C series engines, and is now offering them only for Euro2 markets.

So basically, there is quite a lot of difference 6BT and the latest ISBe engines.
The numbers you have given slightly vary from the what cummins have given.

But I was asking for performance and operation (not about power ratings)- most importantly wrt operating efficiency wise.
The statement what I have given was from the service front.
If you could check the engine oil change frequency its the same between ISBe and 6BT engines - Just 8000 kms for a city duty cycle and 18000 kms for long haul cycle. Its less than half of the competition models.(Scope : India)

Looking into this only I told there is nothing much of reason and only a marketing terminology used by Cummins.
Old 7th September 2011, 08:43   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The numbers you have given slightly vary from the what cummins have given.

But I was asking for performance and operation (not about power ratings)- most importantly wrt operating efficiency wise.
The statement what I have given was from the service front.
If you could check the engine oil change frequency its the same between ISBe and 6BT engines - Just 8000 kms for a city duty cycle and 18000 kms for long haul cycle. Its less than half of the competition models.(Scope : India)

Looking into this only I told there is nothing much of reason and only a marketing terminology used by Cummins.
The numbers I have given are more rounded up, and from memory. I didnt actually search for the Cummins brochures I have or its websites to give them. So true, they may vary a bit.

From the service point of view, true, they are still not exactly made for Indian conditions. Thus the comparatively safe 8000km oil change intervals. Though I am not sure, I think the ISBe had moved to a 10 or 12K interval. Internationally, the old ones had a 7500miles/12k kms change intervals, not sure whether any change has occurred for the newer versions.

But, what has improved in that the new engines are now designed for running without overhauling for 4L kms, instead of the older 2L kms. The major advantage here is a higher longevity of the engine, compared to the older ones

But overall considering the massive performance boost, I dont think I would call it only marketing terminology. At the end of the day, not many people were complaining about the service intervals. The new B-series I think was more of change to meet the newer and higher power requirements of the CV world all the while getting ready for the next decade of emission norms, rather than reduce maintainance costs.

Service intervals may not have changed, but its still a much better engine offering more power and torque in a lighter engine and is also ready for the future. Most of all, it offers the power and torque of what earlier gen 8L engines were offering, thus allowing for more power while not increasing fuel costs by much.

Last edited by julupani : 7th September 2011 at 08:50.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks