Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2011, 20:39   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Heavy Trucks thread

hi ! i just read on the net that there is a used ashok leyland hippo dumper 1974 model being sold by steel authority of india bhadravati plant ( VISL) in north karnataka , tommorrow , on 12.10.2011 by e-auction
.VISL/MM/E-auction/2011-12/088, with its item no.TND/088/TR/002 by valuejunction.com , Mr.Saranathan Srinivasan: (M) 09282244305
( truck has regn no MYS 7153 ) with emd of Rs 25000. what is the vintage value of these models? do they resemble the yellow truck in the picture above? those team bhp members interested may contact Phone: 08282-271621-29, Extn-2048 FAX NO: 08282 - 271611 DY. GENERAL MANAGER (MM) .

thanks, vinay kamath 098451-94814

Quote:
Originally Posted by urzdeepu View Post
Dont really know if these pics qualify for heavy trucks or classic commercial vehicles but still adding it to the continuation of this thread.

While traveling through Calicut, i saw this incredible truck which is an Ashok Leyland Hippo and am sure this is a vintage piece which is atleast some 40-50 years old. Dont really know when this one was produced but its owned by KSEB. this one was carrying a transformer.
Note the old AL logo which looks like a bird with 2 boxer dogs looking from the opposite direction.
A pristine vehicle still going strong. Hats off to KSEB for maintaining it in all its true form.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th October 2011 at 21:39. Reason: Removing [Font] tag, avoid copy pasting from external font editor. Also do a Preview before posting. Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 17:36   #812
Senior - BHPian

So I was travelling southwards the other day on the NH4, and for nearly half an hour on the excellent empty roads, I wasnt able to shake off a Prima 4028 off my tail. I was cruising at 100kmph and inspite of being hooked up to a 3 axle trailer, the Prima could keep up (but not pass, or did not attempt to pass) with ease.
The more I see these on the road, the more I like it, especially in its Red avataar, compared to the other colour I have seen, Silver.
Old 15th November 2011, 05:54   #813
Senior - BHPian

It’s a known fact that the Chennai-Bangalore Highway (NH4) is a favorite testing spot for almost all Chennai-based automotive manufacturers. And it was in this same road near Sriperumbudur these Ashok Leyland Tractor Trailers (TT) with ‘On Test’ stickers were spotted. There were two of them and one of the tractor was camouflaged with the other one being the regular U Series tractor. There was no clue about what is new in this TT until we saw the front windshield with '4936' sticker pasted on it. The first two digits of Ashok Leyland's naming convention usually denotes the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) in tonnes and the last two digits denote the Horse Power.

Though Ashok Leyland launched the U 4936 Tractor in Jan-2010 itself, as per the company’s website, the current model range still includes only the 4923 TT which comes with a 230 HP H Series engine. So, there you have the mystery decoded. What you see here in this post would, in all probability, be the top-of-the-line U series Tractor Trailer with a Gross Vehicle Weight of 49 tonnes powered by the modern, powerful, fuel-efficient and technologically advanced 'Neptune' 6 Cylinder engine with a power output of 360 HP. Essentially, it’s a combination of two of the biggest development projects that the company has undertaken in the recent years, the U Truck and the Neptune engine.

I had posted this in my blog a little earlier where I had a Team BHP reader 'ashok' pointing out that the camouflaged tractor could be the company's Next Gen cab being tested for road worthiness. Thanks ashok for pointing that out.
Attached Thumbnails
The Heavy Trucks thread-al-4936-tt-1.jpg  

The Heavy Trucks thread-al-4936-tt-2.jpg  

The Heavy Trucks thread-al-4936-tt-3.jpg  

The Heavy Trucks thread-al-4936-tt-4.jpg  

The Heavy Trucks thread-al-4936-tt-5.jpg  

arvi86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 06:02   #814
BHPian

Post deleted. To share photographs, please follow our board rules here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th November 2011 at 08:09.
Old 19th November 2011, 10:03   #815
Senior - BHPian

My affinity with Ashok Leylands this month shows no signs of stopping. After spotting the U 4936 Tractor Trailer and the Optare Solo mini bus in close quarters, it is the turn of Ashok Leyland's Next Gen Cab now. Thanks to Vinoth Thambidurai, a reader of my blog, who snapped and sent me this snap. He had spotted this Next Gen Cab in the Chennai-Bangalore Highway and claims to have seen the name printed in one of the stickers in the vehicle as '4948'. It's a known fact that the first two digits of Ashok Leyland's naming nomenclature denotes the Gross Vehicle Weight in tonnes and the last two digits represents the engine's power output. In this case then, it is a 49-tonne tractor trailer with an estimated power output of 480 HP.

So, is Ashok Leyland planning for an all-mighty onslaught with this Next Gen Cab by also plonking in a massive 480 HP engine? Watch this space, they could well be.
Attached Thumbnails
The Heavy Trucks thread-al-new-gen-cab.jpg  

arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 14:39   #816
Senior - BHPian

The camoflagued picture seems like a DAF truck. I guess, the new trucks might be on the lines of Prima with high tech cab with good features. The new neptune engine with 480 bhp? Doesnt the Prima already have the engine with 500+bhp capacity? Is there any tech specs about the neptune out in internet? The following link says 160-360 bhp max with 6,8 to 16 gears. The 16 speed will be a direct source from ZF.

http://www.motorindiaonline.com/2010...ds-future.html

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 19th November 2011 at 14:44.
Old 19th November 2011, 17:00   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
So, is Ashok Leyland planning for an all-mighty onslaught with this Next Gen Cab by also plonking in a massive 480 HP engine? Watch this space, they could well be.

I feel this is derived from a Scania cab design rather than DAF. BTW, good job AL...hope to see you at Autoexpo2012.
Old 19th November 2011, 17:59   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
The new neptune engine with 480 bhp? Doesnt the Prima already have the engine with 500+bhp capacity? The following link says 160-360 bhp max with 6,8 to 16 gears.
You are right. Even I remember reading in Ashok Leyland's press release about Neptune engines with power outputs ranging from 160 - 380 HP only. This '4948' now has come as a total surprise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
I feel this is derived from a Scania cab design rather than DAF. BTW, good job AL...hope to see you at Autoexpo2012.
Very true, I was thinking about the same thing. Ashok Leyland usually creates a splash in every Auto Expo and the 2012 edition is going to be no different.
Old 20th November 2011, 00:34   #819
Senior - BHPian

Scania Cab design:
http://truckphoto.net/New_Scania_Trucks.jpg

DAF Cab:
http://www.daf.eu/DE/LocalImageBank/...85-FAK-8x2.jpg

IMHO AL new gen looks like the DAF to me!
Old 20th November 2011, 01:42   #820
Zed
BHPian

Scania recently set up an Indian subsidary, didnt they ?

As for DAF, the PACCAR group that owns the DAF brand is currently busy setting up a manufacturing base in Brazil and that's where the focus is. One can assume that they will look at India and China as the next step but for now its hard to fathom DAF making an entry into India in the near future. Scania is a more likely possibility specially considering a local subsidiary in India.
While Volvo and Daimler get a lot of attention from the press and public, SCANIA, DAF & MAN are considered the technical benchmarks in most of the advanced western European truck Markets.
Old 20th November 2011, 09:37   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Scania recently set up an Indian subsidary, didnt they ?

As for DAF, the PACCAR group that owns the DAF brand is currently busy setting up a manufacturing base in Brazil and that's where the focus is. One can assume that they will look at India and China as the next step but for now its hard to fathom DAF making an entry into India in the near future. Scania is a more likely possibility specially considering a local subsidiary in India.
While Volvo and Daimler get a lot of attention from the press and public, SCANIA, DAF & MAN are considered the technical benchmarks in most of the advanced western European truck Markets.
Look at the instrument panel. That's too basic and reminds of AL's. Scania would have a proper truck already. They'd just need to tune it for Indian conditions. This looks like a ground up effort on the part of AL. Also, I don't think it resembles any other manufacturers bodies that much.
Old 20th November 2011, 14:27   #822
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
Look at the instrument panel. That's too basic and reminds of AL's. Scania would have a proper truck already. They'd just need to tune it for Indian conditions. This looks like a ground up effort on the part of AL. Also, I don't think it resembles any other manufacturers bodies that much.
Absolutely. From Arvi86's post its clear that the camouflaged truck is the one running in front of the U truck. Not sure if its a totally new cab or a refreshed version of the U cab.
My comments were vis a vis the probability of a 'DAF or Scania' being tested in India at this point in time.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 13:18   #823
BHPian

A few heavy trucks photos that i clicked on the Vallarpadom port route and Ernakulam Kolenchery route.
Attached Thumbnails
The Heavy Trucks thread-20111111_001.jpg  

The Heavy Trucks thread-20111111_003.jpg  

The Heavy Trucks thread-20111113_002.jpg  

The Heavy Trucks thread-20111113_011.jpg  

The Heavy Trucks thread-20111113_014.jpg  

The Heavy Trucks thread-20111113_016.jpg  

Old 27th November 2011, 18:25   #824
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Here are Exclusive pics from EXCON 2011 which concluded today in Bangalore, since there are 940 pics I have posted some of the important pics in my bog for quick reference on the Off Road Trucks, Construction Equipments and Machinery which were present during the event.

For detailed album, there is a link given to my Photo album in Picasa.

Do enjoy the pics... Volvo, Kamaz, Scania, Tata Prima, Caterpillar, etc are all there

EXCON 2011 - Yeshwanth Live
kadri007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 20:56   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Hi Guys,

Here are Exclusive pics from EXCON 2011 which concluded today in Bangalore, since there are 940 pics I have posted some of the important pics in my bog for quick reference on the Off Road Trucks, Construction Equipments and Machinery which were present during the event.

For detailed album, there is a link given to my Photo album in Picasa.

Do enjoy the pics... Volvo, Kamaz, Scania, Tata Prima, Caterpillar, etc are all there

EXCON 2011 - Yeshwanth Live
Caterpillar truck that you have picture of in your blog is an Off Highway truck with a Pay load capacity of 40 Tons. There is a very similar 772 Off Highway truck also. The 770 is a New product introduction and is build at the Chennai (thirvalluar) Facility.

By the way there were other equipments too at the Caterpillar stall, including a 1920's gasoline engined crawler.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks