Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2011, 11:46   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Heavy Trucks thread

Any technical reason for TM to mount its headlights well below in 3118.
Even if there is some reason why not this affecting other models?
Old 1st May 2011, 12:01   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
What I saw looked like this:
I have never seen of LPT2516 in fixed cab avatar.
could be a after market firment?

Quote:
Excuse my horrible photo-editing skills please.
Actually I like this quick foto shoppy work!
Old 1st May 2011, 12:09   #588
Senior - BHPian

@D33PAC

The first pic of the LPT3118TC that you have posted, is one that has already been delivered. You can say because the canopy and temp windshield has already been removed by the dealer before delivery. You can spot the temp windshield and canopy in the 2nd pic, with two 3118s.

The contraption you see behind the Tata tipper, is just an extension to help in easy unloading of the loose sand or dirt etc.

The granite loading is the most extremes of overloading on the Indian roads. 49ton tractors haul single large granite pieces greater than 75tons.

The extra long load body on the ALL tipper is definitely odd, both in terms of length and also the low height of the load body. Probably meant to carry some high density ore or some other such material.

Also another rare catch is the tip trailor, as I thought they pretty much existed only in the fully built segment, while this one seems like a normal tractor has been retro fitted with a tipping trailor.

@Ashley

The puller crash was probably when it was moving light, thus allowing for higher speeds. Either that or it got hit when stationary. No other way so much damage is sustained.

The 2516 with the big cabs did exist for a short while, but not exactly the cab that has been photoshopped there. The cab shown by D33 is a semi-sleeper cab, with two long berths at the back. The cab that came was the normal one, without extra sleeper space.

The reason for mounting the 3118 headlamps in the bumpers is, when the rear is loaded upto 31tons, the angle of the high beams in the normal position becomes too high, illuminating the more sky than road. Thus lowering the headlight mounting negates the effect of the angle. Thus instead of having to change the design of the headlamps themselves, they changed the mounting position. But as usual our great truckers have used Tata's cost cutting to their advantage, and add two extra headlamps in the normal position as well.

Last edited by julupani : 1st May 2011 at 12:16.
julupani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 12:26   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spotted a custom built ALL 12 wheeled Tipper. Amazing, I've never seen a tipper body that long.
That is U-3123 T with 22Cu.M box tipper. Mainly used for surface transportation of construction materials.
This is gaining popular among construction companies!

Quote:
Recently spotted a TML tractor exactly like the one in the pics with a trailer similar carrying a humongous piece of granite, the whole trailer flexed and curved!
Actually TM had huge issues in over laoded conditions and failures in frame like frame bow/crack in earlier days unlike AL.
TM is trying to over come in recent days.
If you could look into the DNA's of individual brands this would pop up!
More over the case you have seen is due to severe over loaded condition and so its obvious!
Old 1st May 2011, 21:01   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
@Transsenger
The 130hp 697 or 6BTs are still available on the haulage series in BSIII form. In tippers they were replaced with the higher powered 1616s because of market feedback, asking for higher torque than the 130hp engines about 450Nm, against the new 1616s 600+Nm of torque.

Also like I mentioned the 3516 model too has been discontinued, for quite some time actually. Only two variants, ie the 4018 and the 4923 are available today. There is no difference between a 35tonner and 40tonner for the manufacturer at all. The only difference lies in the number of axles in the trailor. Earlier a 35 tonner would be provided with slightly less power, but due to lower demand, this model was discontinued leaving only the 4018. And even when you register a 4018 with a 2axle trailor, its max permissible GVW remains 35tonnes rather than 40tonnes, according to the bridge formula.
@julupani;
AFAIK, the 130Hp 697series BS3 engines is not avaliable. From 2005, when TML initially developed the BS3 version of 697series, its a 160Hp! But a 6BT 130hp BS3 engine is surely avaliable and its now used in 1512 BS3 also.

Similarly, its not due to market demand that SK1613 with 697 engine was replaced with SK1616, but only due to change from BS2 to BS3. Also the increase in torque happened as they changed the gearbox from GB40 to G600. FYI the earlier SK1613s (697engine) were in high demand in this part of India.

Again, the LPK3516 was discontinued due to change from BS2 to BS3. The BS3 6BT Cummins engines are avaliable in 130 & 180hp varients only currently. And unlike what you said, the 35 tonners were the first to come & stay. Later as demand shifted to 40ton, they introduced a model with higher power. If avaliable, even today 3516s would be in high demand for segments like car carriers.

@D33-PAC; TML, wayback, launched LPT2516 (6x2) models with both Day & Sleeper cab and cowl options. (Sleeper cab is similar to the one fitted on 3516 and day cab as seen in LPK2516 tippers). This rigid model LPT2516 was very successful in Tanker/Container segments even in Kerala. Even today we see a many of them here. But from 2005, this model varient was stopped when the ex series tilt cab was introduced.
Old 1st May 2011, 21:42   #591
Senior - BHPian

@Transsenger

I think you may be right on the availability of 130hp 697 BSIII engine, I should be able to confirm this by tomorrow.

As far as the SK 1613 model, they could have shifted over to the Cummins engine, which as it is have much higher demand over the board. As a matter of fact this was the case for a few months, as the 1616 was introduced sometime in February and not in October last year.

Also, change in gearbox does not have an effect on the kind of torque that the engine produces. It is actually sort of the other way round, that is the gearbox chosen is according to the engine that you use and the torque it produces.

The 1613s used to get the GBS400 as it produced a torque in the 400-500Nm range. As the move to 1616 increased torque to 600Nm range, it required a move to the GB600 which could handle the increased torque.

As for demand, I can tell you the total 4x2Tipper sales are less than 10%. You may be in an area where demand is slightly higher, but it is not the case overall. Even in this 4x2 tipper segment, it is the 1618s which dominate rather than the 1613s.

Also, the Cummins engines are available in BSIII form in 132, 157 and 180hp ratings.

You are right in saying that 3516 was the first tractor from Tata, and only with improving loads did we see the introduction of the 4018 and then the 4923. But the 3516 has been stopped for quite some time now, definitely a lot earlier than the move to BSIII.

Also, I think, if Tata sell you a two axle trailor with the LPS4018, they will badge it as a 3518. But as it is there is no technical difference between the two tractors. Its only in the trailor that decides whether it is a 35tonner or a 40tonner

Last edited by julupani : 1st May 2011 at 21:46.
Old 1st May 2011, 23:33   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are right in saying that 3516 was the first tractor from Tata, and only with improving loads did we see the introduction of the 4018 and then the 4923.
Its not true that improving loads can make a product to withdraw.
A car carrier can never increase in load factor for years to come.As in years to come, there can only be increase in requirements of higher power engines. Here the increase in cost factor is also to be considered.

Quote:
Also, I think, if Tata sell you a two axle trailor with the LPS4018, they will badge it as a 3518. But as it is there is no technical difference between the two tractors. Its only in the trailor that decides whether it is a 35tonner or a 40tonner
This may not be possible. A vehicle when it comes out of the factory with excise duty paid as 40Tonner(here there will be no trailer only tractor is defined as 40Tonner) can never be revoked and can be sold as a 35Tonner. So there is no option for you to use it with a two axle trailer.
Technical difference though need not be but was always there with changes in gear ratios and engine options. These two tractors where never been alike though could be.
Old 2nd May 2011, 06:29   #593
Senior - BHPian

@Ashley

The 3516 was probably withdrawn for many multiple reasons, a higher power requirement in the 35tonners, making the 35ton tractor practically a 40tonne tractor.

As for the 2nd point, I mentioned Tata selling the trailor as well remember. That is a fully built vehicle and not a tractor independently coming out of the factory.
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:41   #594
BHPian

Quote:
@Transsenger

As far as the SK 1613 model, they could have shifted over to the Cummins engine, which as it is have much higher demand over the board. As a matter of fact this was the case for a few months, as the 1616 was introduced sometime in February and not in October last year.

As for demand, I can tell you the total 4x2Tipper sales are less than 10%. You may be in an area where demand is slightly higher, but it is not the case overall. Even in this 4x2 tipper segment, it is the 1618s which dominate rather than the 1613s.

Also, the Cummins engines are available in BSIII form in 132, 157 and 180hp ratings.

But the 3516 has been stopped for quite some time now, definitely a lot earlier than the move to BSIII.

SK1616 was launched here in Nov-Dec2010. And this change from 1613 to 1616 happened only due to shift from BS2 to BS3 as far as 697 engined models are concerned. In Kerala its the 697engined models which are more in demand than the Cummins engined 1613s. So it differs for regional markets. Here 1618 were not that successful.

FYI, as on date BS3 6BT Cummins engines used in TML vehicles are only avaliable in 130 & 180 Hp range. There is no 157Hp BS3 version.

Again FYI, LPS3516 was stopped only in Oct2010 when they shifted to BS3. And now we have LPS3518 & LPS4018 in the market here. Both these models are not much different technically (may be gear ratios for fuel mileage), powered by 6BT 24valve 180hp BS3 engine.

Finally its only due to change in emission norms (BS2 to BS3) these model updates ( 1613 to 1616, 3516 to 3518 etc) have happened and not due to market demand, which is only a marketing version(reasoning) for fooling customers.
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:40   #595
Senior - BHPian

Well, all I can say is the information that I have provided is to the best of my knowledge and I am pretty damn confident about it as my info is largely based on contacts at the manufacturing base.

Also Tata use two gearboxes with the 180hp engine, the GB600 and the GB750, but all the tractors come with the GB750 model only, so like I said earlier there is no specific model called a 3518, unless you get it as a fully built vehicle.
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:25   #596
BHPian

Quote:
The reason for mounting the 3118 headlamps in the bumpers is, when the rear is loaded upto 31tons, the angle of the high beams in the normal position becomes too high, illuminating the more sky than road. Thus lowering the headlight mounting negates the effect of the angle. Thus instead of having to change the design of the headlamps themselves, they changed the mounting position. But as usual our great truckers have used Tata's cost cutting to their advantage, and add two extra headlamps in the normal position as well.
I thought they were mounted so to fall in with headlamp height limits. Aren't there any laws in the MV Act addressing the same?
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:49   #597
Senior - BHPian

Yeah there are, but mounting them at the normal positions would fall within those prescribed limits. Which is why none of the other models have shifted over to the headlights in the front bumpers, only the 3118 has them to overcome the above issue.
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:23   #598
Senior - BHPian

Classic Hippo's

Came across these Hippos yesterday.
They were manufactured around 10 years back and still they are in good shape(leave those cabs). According to driver these are still hauling up to 100 Tonnes and the present ones are around 75Tonnes it seems.