Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2010, 20:47   #16
BHPian

The TATA Prima looks way better than the Navistar. But Value for Money might be Mahindra's trump card.
Old 5th January 2010, 20:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

lol; come on this isnt one would buy for a daily drive to office! Its looks should be coz of loads of plastic material used.
Old 5th January 2010, 20:58   #18
BHPian

On one hand people are complaining about the efemminate looks of vehicles today and on the other hand toothy grills are being snubbed.

Trucks are one of the most masculine of all male pursuits. To that effect I approve of the Toothy grills, toothy being better than smiles or other happier faces. I wonder if the truck Optimus Prime depicts in Transformers (The movies) is a real truck and if so can someone tell me which one. Googling revealed that truck to be Freightliner FL-86 flat-nose Cab-over semi truck but I can't be sure of that Information. What about the other trucks in Transformers 2, who makes those.

Having said that I think we need to objectively compare the Mahindra Navistar and Other trucks by Ashok Leyland and Tata Prima on the basis of engine specks and other general improvements. In which case I suspect Mahindra might have an edge.

Why apart from the pictures of the Trucks does TATA World Trucks have nothing put up. I saw a video of the trucks at the Delhi Auto Expo 2010. Also see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...thread-96.html. Apparently the site is under construction since august last year. Hilarious. There is a small concept car by the same name as well. Even more Hilarious. I suspect the engines are the same. Lol

Also can anyone help with engine info on other competitor trucks. @quattroa4 can you post the link to th thread you were mentioning.
Old 5th January 2010, 22:57   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
True.

Then perhaps they should advertise only that - low maintenance and good engine - instead of advertising their cabs. Advertising the wrong things is simply 'Not Ok"!

For now, if I have to take a call, Prima seems to be ahead. This is quite an achievement since unlike Mahindra who relied heavily on International Tata did it alone.

Anyways, lets see how it pans out.

You really think so? I strongly believe the prima is nothing but an upgraded iteration of the Novus.
Old 5th January 2010, 23:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINUMON View Post
You really think so? I strongly believe the prima is nothing but an upgraded iteration of the Novus.
The cabs of both are completely different. I don't think its a nip and tuck job. In fact the Prima project was started before the acquisition of Daewoo Trucks. Thats why the Prima continued to be developed mainly in India rather than in Korea.

Compared to the Prima the Novus is clearly a few years older. Also the Novus was not localised here apart from the engine. The Prima is. If they were the same they wouldn't have made such a distinction.
Old 5th January 2010, 23:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised that we seem to be talking mainly about cosmetics of these trucks which is probably least important factor at least in case of trucks.

Look at the engines that are on offer. 210 HP and 260 HP are simply humungous compared to Tata and Ashok Leyland offerings. It competes directly with Volvo in terms of Power and Torque figures. It will be quite interesting to see the price point for these trucks.

I, for one, am definitely excited with this new range of powerful trucks. Way to go, Mahindra!
Old 6th January 2010, 01:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianchiefrsd View Post
On one hand people are complaining about the efemminate looks of vehicles today and on the other hand toothy grills are being snubbed.

Trucks are one of the most masculine of all male pursuits. To that effect I approve of the Toothy grills, toothy being better than smiles or other happier faces.
Offtopic but, you expect all males to hang ALL their teeth out with a FROWN to prove something?

You don't work for Mahindra, do you?
Old 6th January 2010, 12:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Offtopic but, you expect all males to hang ALL their teeth out with a FROWN to prove something?

You don't work for Mahindra, do you?
Well not all men, but just like your not going to watch 2 pansy wrestlers slugging it (or feeling each other up) out in the ring I assume a angry looking truck fits into the scene. Having said that cosmetics and aesthetics are a matter of personal choice so lets just say we don't agree there.

Offtopic but do you expect all Mahindra Fans to ALL work for Mahindra?. No I don't but I wouldn't say no to a free Scorpio if Mahindra is reading.

But the specs are what are important and I'll post in a bit with with those differences. Anyone got any info/ or references to info on the TATA Prima or Novous or the AL? Please post.
Old 6th January 2010, 12:44   #24
BHPian

The Mahindra Navistar is definitely mid level trucks in India. A 31 ton from Mahindra comes with 210 hp and 880 Nm.

We already have 'old tech' Tata LPK with 230 hp/820Nm.

The Man Force 31 tonner comes with 280 hp/1100Nm.

The Tata Prima 31 tonner comes currently with 380hp/1500Nm (Edit: option of 280 hp/970Nm is not available in tipper variant). And the higher spec engines are not launched domestically yet!

The Prima is in a different league.

Last edited by Trapezio : 6th January 2010 at 13:00.
Old 6th January 2010, 13:01   #25
BHPian

After looking at the pictures on the Mahindra website, these two caught my attention. I wouldnt call this ugly. I would say this looks beastly, ferocious and manly.

I would rather see this than smiles.

Old 6th January 2010, 13:08   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianchiefrsd View Post

Offtopic but do you expect all Mahindra Fans to ALL work for Mahindra?. No I don't but I wouldn't say no to a free Scorpio if Mahindra is reading.
You're right. Coz' i don't work for Mahindra.
And till date, i'm waiting to meet that MORON designer who stuck that DIAPER / WALRUS teeth on my Bolero grill....and i sincerely hope Mahindra is reading.

Last edited by Torqy : 6th January 2010 at 13:09.
Old 6th January 2010, 13:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a mediocre effort to enter Heavy Duty Truck Arena for Mahindra.
They should have tied up with Iveco instead.
Old 6th January 2010, 14:01   #28
BHPian

It would be interesting to see the price difference between the Navistar and the Prima. On the whole, I feel that M&M would prove to be more value for money.
Old 6th January 2010, 14:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finject View Post
It would be interesting to see the price difference between the Navistar and the Prima. On the whole, I feel that M&M would prove to be more value for money.
Definitely. The Prima will be more expensive.

But then Mahindra should accept it earnestly rather than tom-tomming about how superior they are when its not that clear how they reached that conclusion. Thats simply cheap.
Old 6th January 2010, 14:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

I love that 'ugly' Mahindra trademark grill.:-))))

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks