Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 22:47   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata Telcoline

It has the regular blowers so I think AC can be added on right? If you were in my place and were willing to buy this particular piece of TL 4x4 how much would you pay for it? As I said quote I have is 5.5L OTR but as you said it rightly is high for a vehicle which was stationary for 2 years.
Old 4th September 2013, 11:43   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Wrongturn - for me, that's a hypothetical question
Old 4th September 2013, 12:17   #63
BHPian

Yes its almost a complete 4x4, infact it was a dream come true for me when i literally hunted down my TL. All the points you mentioned are true! i suppose this does not fall in the 4x4 lovers, but in the category of "truck lovers"

And i didn't find it too easy to be using in the narrow winding hilly roads of kerala and above all using it for farm use! And added to the trouble was getting a whiteboard for it in kerala at that time!

pl. note, am talking abt the SA version and not the indian version!
Old 4th September 2013, 12:37   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
It has the regular blowers so I think AC can be added on right? If you were in my place and were willing to buy this particular piece of TL 4x4 how much would you pay for it? As I said quote I have is 5.5L OTR but as you said it rightly is high for a vehicle which was stationary for 2 years.
If you are mechanically inclined and love DIY, it could be a worthwhile option for a good recreational/weekend/touring vehicle.
As Condor mentioned, the second row of seats (leg room) could become a major set back with family around. I hope the vehicle you are talking about has an IFS set-up in the front.
A good friend drives a 4 door Xenon and he too has been complaining about the lack of leg room in the rear.

Tata vehicles, generally has this negative publicity, especially in the rural regions of our country, where it has been the Mahindras slogging hard without any major maintenance issues from the very beginning. But then, today, if you look around, most of the real heavy material hauling (cements, steel, towing), is done by the 207 DIs and not the Bolero pickups.
Old 4th September 2013, 12:42   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
A good friend drives a 4 door Xenon and he too has been complaining about the lack of leg room in the rear.
If a 4 door Xenon is reported to have this problem, then the TL is going to be bad !
Old 4th September 2013, 19:56   #66
BHPian

rear leg room space is cramped no doubts on that. I'v read a lot of reviews of telcoline 4x4 lately and most of them very about the bad quality of the truck however those were from foreign countries were it's exported, and usually people post reviews about anything when things go wrong with it to go take out the frustration not when its doing good and satisfying there usual needs. . Also what they tend to do is compare a 1$ TATA product with a 10$ Toyota kinds and then bash the poor thing for not being as good as the later.
One of the example I came across was http://www.tataproblems.co.za/
We are all aware of the fact that TATA products have niggles and issues, quality problems, TASS is not the best but somehow I still have a softspot for its vehicles. We had a TATA Sumo in the family in 1996 and it was good, but being a child i cant tell what kind of maintenance it required back then.
But when you compare TATA with other Indian vehicle manufactures, looking at TATA's legacy, the huge line of vehicles produced covering almost all platforms you feel TATA has missed out on something big time, and although they are trying to improve on all aspects now but that period between 1990-2005 I feel TATA had that 'chalta hai approch' wherein things about customer feedback and quality check were not taken on a serious account and hence they compromised on customer loyalty.
Now with the Aria they have again proved that they might have skills and caliber to produce world class products but they would carry on with that 'chalta hai' kind of approach. As is it was like some regular Indian Government department where nothing can be done right at the first go and they don't really care about it anyways.

I wish TATA could do something to earn the customer's trust again, so people wont say dont buy this its TATA, it is trouble.
Not buying telcoline, maybe something better in future.

Last edited by wrongturn : 4th September 2013 at 19:58.
Old 4th September 2013, 22:24   #67
BANNED

Wrongturn, Tata just did not "take care of the press". Press bad-mouthed it like it was the worst car under the sun. The intial cars indeed were not that good but not so bad as to write 'em off completely. Today, when Tata cars are vastly improved, press still sees niggles everywhere. I feel they have been totally unfair to Tata cars. 1 crore German cars are giving all kinds of trouble. Packing up on you and leaving you stranded, but no rant about that. Tata car's power window switch came loose means end of the world.

I am not a fan of Tata cars but still feel they deserve more than this.

BTW, Tatas are to blame, too. Have you seen a tastefully modded Xenon? I did, two months back. It was out-of-towner and night time and my cell cam is no good for night shots, so i couldn't take a pic. This Xenon just took my breath away. People just stopped in their tracks and milled around it ( it was parked ). I waited for the guy to show up but he never did and I continued on as I was getting late. Trust me nothing under the sun could beat this thing in the looks department. Tata should mod their Xenon along this guy's Xenon and display in their showrooms. Ok, it will still not sell like Alto. Heck, it will not even sell like Safari/Scorpio but it will sell in numbers much more than it is doing right now. But will Tata ever do that? No. They just sleep. Rip Vaan Winkle.
Old 28th September 2018, 23:43   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Could never get the Tata TL out of my mind - just hope I can get one someday !

Came across this image today:

Tata Telcoline-tatatelcoline04.jpg
https://goo.gl/images/ksb5UC

And like Shammi Kapoor song. " Yalla Yalla Dil Le Gayi "
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 14:58   #69
HTC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Could never get the Tata TL out of my mind - just hope I can get one someday !

Came across this image today:

Attachment 1803076
https://goo.gl/images/ksb5UC

And like Shammi Kapoor song. " Yalla Yalla Dil Le Gayi "
@Condor,

There is 2009 telcoline 4x4 listed in Bangalore, JP nagar. 2nd owner. Asking price 3.25 lacs.

I have a soft corner for pickup trucks. Going to checkout the truck. What's your take on this? I know TL is like dinosaur among the new gen cars, still want to checkout how practical it is for touring.

Being a Storme owner, share your thoughts please.
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 21:45   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
I know TL is like dinosaur among the new gen cars, still want to checkout how practical it is for touring..
Suggest to re-think on the model. Quite basic by today's standards. I had checked out fellow TBHP-ian Ryan's TL long back. The rear seat is not even good for kids - the seatback is upright, and the bench depth is not enough. And well maintained TL's are rare today. Check out FB marketplace - there is one fully done up TL in Coimbatore, but he is asking price is 4.6L.

A Scorpio Getaway has been around longer, and may be a better bet than a TL. Had seen one at a dealer in JP Nagar recently. I have seen TL;s being used to carry workers and material .. a good use for the TL today, considering the features that today's cars offer.

Last edited by condor : 13th May 2022 at 21:47.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 11:48   #71
HTC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Suggest to re-think on the model. Quite basic by today's standards. I had checked out fellow TBHP-ian Ryan's TL long back. The rear seat is not even good for kids - the seatback is upright, and the bench depth is not enough. And well maintained TL's are rare today
Thanks @Condor!
What you say makes sense. I dropped the TL idea. Hunt goes on, spacious 5 or 7 seater, 4wd/AWD, Touring friendly. Safari Storme ( hoping for TBhpian owned one), Duster AWD, scorpio are top contenders. Wish I was a week early in blocking duster awd as only few were left in stock. It was 13lac inroad then. Sigh. Before I made up my mind, it was too late.
Old 9th July 2023, 15:07   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Giveaway: The original Crash-guard for a Telcoline. The Chrome is good, the fibre part can be refreshed with paint.

Pickup: JP Nagar, Bangalore.

If you are from outside BLR, you will need to arrange for the pickup + Transportation.

Tata Telcoline-img_6417.jpg
condor is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks