Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2009, 01:25   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank goodness for something to help us "rise above" the Skoda debacle.

My attention to the rest of the site has been sadly lacking for some days. This thread is a breath of fresh air
Old 8th April 2009, 02:32   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palioman View Post
Hey ,you don't have to be brilliant to be a pilot !
all you've got to do is pass your tenth, nowadays it's 12th..probably a graduate in science is a plus, but not necessary.
Qualification requirement 1. Lots of money for the lessons, though some flying clubs in India fudge on this.
2. An influential person to allow a window of opportunity..probably a father as captain or some honcho in the airlines or political connections.
A Commercial pilots license is the bare minimum accquired after 200 flying hours, earlier it was 250.
I hate to be a party pooper but, being a pilot does not, repeat ,does not require above average IQs..just average.
Before anyone flames me, I am qualified on the Boeing 777.
But I just loove cars, and bikes.
What one needs is ability to take decisions in times you're under most stress and make sure those decisions let you stay alive ! Take for example the case of Air Transat Flight 236 (Air Transat Flight 236 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) , A wrong Human decision to use cross-feed caused the whole issue and a Captain who was able to handle the situation effectively despite being in enormous stress of loosing his and all the souls aboard changed the whole equation. So while one may not need above average IQ, one does need to be a person who can effectively handle such stress situations !
Old 8th April 2009, 09:09   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey this is a great thread. I wanted to be a pilot, never got around to actually doing it (I am trying to patao my younger son now). I guess that justifies my profession as a vehicle development and professional vehicle test engineer. I drive instead of fly. The 747 is my favourite airplane due to its distinctive upper deck shape and sheer size and whenever I am sitting in the lounge of Mumbai airport (my work involves travelling so I get this opportunity), I always make it a point to sit facing the runway and try and see as many 747s as possible taking off or landing. There seem to be too few of them left these days. I often see a "Saudia" aircraft in the mornings though.

I would love to get a photograph taken from inside the cockpit of the 747 when it is landing at Mumbai airport. I hope flyboy747 can provide it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 8th April 2009, 11:09   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi2009 View Post
What one needs is ability to take decisions in times you're under most stress and make sure those decisions let you stay alive !
Couldn't agree more.its quick decision making and effective CRM that helps in situations out of the ordinary.some times even something routine may turn out to be ugly with a series of wrong decisions.

rev
Old 8th April 2009, 12:38   #110
BHPian

Me likes Jumbos !

Wow ! A 747 pilot on the forum !

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi2009 View Post
Please check the attached pictures and tell me and all other Flight Simulator enthusiasts how close are they to a real cockpit. And the 2 similar photos are B777-300 Panel and Overhead (Have just learnt to start the beast and still learning to use FMC and enter all the flight data!!!)
Hi Delhi2009, the 2 panels you've posted (first 2 pics), are they from PMDG ?
Old 8th April 2009, 12:39   #111

Quote:
I would love to get a photograph taken from inside the cockpit of the 747 when it is landing at Mumbai airport. I hope flyboy747 can provide it.
Hey who's flying then if the pilot gets busy snapping. Jokes apart, wonder if you have seen the AN - 224 or the C 5 Galaxy flying or landing. It's all about the SIZE!

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th April 2009 at 14:33. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 8th April 2009, 12:50   #112
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy747 View Post
As one of my first instructors had told me – never let an airplane take you to a place where your mind has not gone 5 minutes before..
Wow golden words of wisdom !!

Quote:
A Boeing is more fun to fly.
A pilot friend says the same thing

BTW do check out:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-together.html
Old 9th April 2009, 11:21   #113
BHPian

Before opening the thread I was wondering what could the Boeing be a metaphor for. Little did I ever thing that it was ACTUALLY a Boeing review.

But ofcourse a first in team-bhp. Thanks for sharing.
Old 9th April 2009, 11:42   #114
Senior - BHPian

All the flying i was done is a 3 hour flight with my instructor on a Cessna Single Propeller plane into the Tasman Bay in Australia.
This Boeing review is good,however I feel flying a Airbus is a different experiance.
Old 9th April 2009, 13:27   #115
BHPian

Boeing 747-400

For those who always wanted to become a Pilot but couldnt, go for the MS Flight Simulator Deluxe version. I purchased a deluxe edition recently which costs around 2k and am immensely satisfied with the investment. From Cessna to Boeing 747's, you have the options of flying all kinds of aircraft! u can tailor make your own mission or choose one listed in the drop down menu listed according based on the level of difficulty and competency required!
Old 9th April 2009, 14:05   #116
BHPian

awesome read!

Sadly I wan't able to go for my SSC(Flying branch) Airforce a few years ago. Always love the concept of flying.... esp. after watching Top Gun.

Thanks for all the info flyboy and others

Had an opportunity to check out the AN-78 mid air refuelling plane a couple of years ago. Its was absolutely huge! Imagine carrying tons of fuel for other aircraft... fascinating!
Old 9th April 2009, 14:21   #117
BHPian

Awesome.. The 747 IMO is the most beautiful bird in the sky today. The sight of one taking off or landing never fails to take my breath away.

OT- Even though the A-380 is huge and is supposed to have gorgeous interiors it is butt ugly from the outside.( happened to see one at Narita in March) .

Of course the queen was the Concorde which i had the fortune of seeing taking off and landing a few eons back.
sk456 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2009, 19:15   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
This Boeing review is good,however I feel flying a Airbus is a different experiance.
what makes you say that ? what are you basing that statement on ?

rev
Old 10th April 2009, 00:01   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Wow ! A 747 pilot on the forum !

Hi Delhi2009, the 2 panels you've posted (first 2 pics), are they from PMDG ?
The 2 are PSS - 777-300 Pics

The 1 on Final Approach is FlightCraft A330 Panel
The 1 on PHNL - KMIA Route is 747 Panel from Avsim.
Old 10th April 2009, 19:34   #120
Senior - BHPian

The closest I could get to flying an aircraft was only on a Microsoft Flight Simulator PC game. Oh and that too after hundreds of tries, I could not even manage to Take Off.
Thanks flyboy for all the frenzy info on flying...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks