Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 20:41   #61
BHPian

@flyboy747: Great thread, please keep the info coming. Must be great 'piloting' a machine with 56000 (x4) lb thrust. Stuff that boys (grown ups like me included) dreams are made of.
Old 3rd April 2009, 21:04   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi2009 View Post
4 - Control Stick
7 - Same as 4.
i listed the parts and named them in the pic itself.

4 is the rudder
7 is the yoke

rev

Last edited by revtech : 3rd April 2009 at 21:06.
Old 3rd April 2009, 21:10   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
that would take all day.here goes..just the main ones.

Attachment 119640

(point 6 is the two screens)

ever wondered why an airline ticket to NYC and back costs 50,000 and not 1,50,000.its because they dont supply each passenger with parachutes.cost cutting

secondly its not as easy as just jumping of an airplane and deploying a parachute.requires training...a lot of it.In Some training institutions abroad you can actually get a certificate after doing a number of jumps after which you can go solo.wearing a jacket and inflating it is a lot easier.

rev
Quote:
i listed the parts and named them in the pic itself.

4 is the rudder
7 is the yoke

rev
Yups - i took the 7th circle to be on yoke , you're right about it
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:32   #64
BHPian

Quote:
which other aircrafts have you flown ?

The Cessna 150/152/172, Piper Tomahawk, Piper Apache, Piper Seneca, Beech Duchess, Beech Super King Air, Airbus A310 and the Boeing 747-400
---------------------
2.there is a method of dumping fuel.but pilot are going to try till the very last minute to save the airplane so they would never ditch....i mean even if the airplane is in a 250 knot + nose dive he is going to try to recover the airplane.

rev
1.Ditching an airplane is a one in a zillion chance. Airplanes are designed to fly, not float. Given the situation of the airplane at such a time, there are checklists to guide you, but there is no demonstrated perfect way of ditching an airplane. Too many variables which are not in the control of the pilots.

2. Fuel Dumping is a method to reduce the weight of the aircraft to bring it to or below the maximum landing weight. This is an option on the 747 but not in all boeing types. All airplanes can do an overweight landing as well. Fuel dumping is resorted to in a situation where you dont have to land ASAP. For example, if you have an uncontrolled engine fire, you WILL put the airplane down on the nearest suitable runway , even if you have to do an overweight landing. But if a failure demands that you return to an airfield or divert, and you are over the max landing weight but not required to land ASAP, you will consider fuel dumping. This will help in not overstressing the landing gear and prevent further complications.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Thanks.
flyboy747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:57   #65
Senior - BHPian

O wow. We got a review POWERFUL here. Great firrst one. By the way have you flown any of the smaller versions like the cessna or the four seaters?? Always loved the culture where people had small planes of their own.

Last edited by maddy42 : 3rd April 2009 at 22:58. Reason: forgot a word:-)
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:07   #66
BHPian

Fs 2004 Pilot

Concorde = Bugatti of Skies.
Boeing = Ferrari of Skies.
Airbus = Lamborghini of Skies.
Mc Douglas = Porsche of Skies.

Flyboy 747 firstly i am really happy that we have a Commercial Pilot on TeamBHP & thanks about sharing your precise introduction & crucial info about B747,as I am really crazy about Aircrafts & Automobiles.Fortunately my residence lies between secondary runway 14/32, also I have some queries that i need to put it before you.

1)How does the reversers work & why is it necessary to apply reversers even though there are autobrakes played by the powerful carbon ceramic discs,is it due to landing speed in access,according to my knowledge average landing speed is 120 knots or does it depend on the aircraft dynamics.

2)Where are the Tail rudders located in a cockpit,perhaps at the foot like car paddels or is it manouvered with the help of yoke,also they are applied during crosswind landings & alignment towards the final approach,is there any other purpose for it?

3)On what basis is the cabin pressure maintained,is it according to the Altitude,Weight or Speed?

4)A Boeing 747 takes Off with full 4 engine powers with full throttle or does it depends on the runway length,because A-380 1st flight took off with 75% of throttle input.

5)How many cameras are installed on B747,because there are undisclosed amount of cameras installed in A-380.

6)Is cockpit airconditioned or do they have mounted fans,because russian aircrafts cockpit have mounted small 3 blades fans.

7) Is there any reverse mechanisms in any of the aircraft,because every aircraft is pulled back by the small truck.

8)While Landing is it necessary to retract full flaps(40) or depending on the descend speed or altitude

9)Which is Best,Advanced,Intelligent & Safe Aircraft to fly Boeings,Airbus or McDouglas.

Unfortunatley I am not a pilot I am an I.T. Professional....

uploading some Flight screenshots by me in FS 2004
Attached Thumbnails
Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-1.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-2.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-3.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-5.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-clipboard06.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-clipboard09.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-clipboard11.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-clipboard12.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-clipboard065.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-clipboard083.jpg  

bugatti_86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:25   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
O wow. We got a review POWERFUL here. Great firrst one. By the way have you flown any of the smaller versions like the cessna or the four seaters?? Always loved the culture where people had small planes of their own.
every pilot starts off with a single engine airplane like the cessna and then progresses to a multi engine airplane and then a turbo prop or a turbojet.

rev
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:54   #68
Senior - BHPian

Nice screenshots there.second and third pic look real. in the Air India landing you too low as shown by the 4 red lights and it looks like you touchdown right on the threshold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti_86 View Post
Fortunately my residence lies between secondary runway 14/32
what do you mean by your residence lies between the runway ?

Quote:
1)How does the reversers work & why is it necessary to apply reversers even though there are autobrakes played by the powerful carbon ceramic discs,is it due to landing speed in access,according to my knowledge average landing speed is 120 knots or does it depend on the aircraft dynamics.

reverse thrust or reversers basically are used to aid braking along with the spoilers or speed brakes.this is done to relieve the brakes of the entire burden of braking preventing them from heating up too quickly.it also helps shorten the landing distance

landing speed varies for different aircrafts as well as for different weights of the same aircraft.for ex a 747 with landing weight X has an approach speed of Y.with a landing weight of X+something the approach speed will increase to Y+something.

Quote:
2)Where are the Tail rudders located in a cockpit,perhaps at the foot like car paddels or is it manouvered with the help of yoke,also they are applied during crosswind landings & alignment towards the final approach,is there any other purpose for it?
rudder is mainly used for directional control and your right.they are operated using the feet.and you are right about their use in cross wing landing.

Quote:
3)On what basis is the cabin pressure maintained,is it according to the Altitude,Weight or Speed?
cabin pressure is usually maintained at an ambient pressure of 8000 feet.

Quote:
4)A Boeing 747 takes Off with full 4 engine powers with full throttle or does it depends on the runway length,because A-380 1st flight took off with 75% of throttle input.
usually airplanes take off at full power.

Quote:
6)Is cockpit airconditioned or do they have mounted fans,because russian aircrafts cockpit have mounted small 3 blades fans.

Quote:
7) Is there any reverse mechanisms in any of the aircraft,because every aircraft is pulled back by the small truck.
the reversers are supposed to be capable to reverse or move the airplane backwards but arent used.could damage the blades.

Quote:
8)While Landing is it necessary to retract full flaps(40) or depending on the descend speed or altitude
you mean extend full flaps.retracting would mean getting them back.flap extension depends on a number of factors.wind velocity, weight, speed, etc.

Quote:
9)Which is Best,Advanced,Intelligent & Safe Aircraft to fly Boeings,Airbus or McDouglas.
its like asking which is the best car.that question is very subjective.airbus is no doubt more advanced,computers managing most things.boeing is more of a pilots airplane.more flying.dont know much about MC douglas

rev

Last edited by revtech : 4th April 2009 at 00:07.
revtech is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2009, 00:04   #69
BHPian

Hi bugatti_86… this is turning out like my job interview !

Well, here goes:
1. Reversers direct a part of the thrust of high bypass ratio turbofan engines to cause deceleration. The reverse thrust is most effective at high speeds, so the first selection for deceleration is always reverse thrust even though autobrakes may have been armed for landing. The autobrakes have different selctions for different deceleration rates (this is according to the landing weight of the airplane, the elevation of the runway etc etc) The autobrakes will engage after a time lag. This also helps in extending the life of the carbon brakes as they are very expensive equipment. The landing speed of the 747-400 varies considerably with the landing weight and elevation of the airfield, also the landing flap selection. In the case of the 747, the landing flaps are 25 and 30. Landing weights may have a differnce of upto 50 tons on a 747 so a heavier airplane will have a higher landing speed. 120 knots is an incorrect figure. I landed today with a weight of 245 tons, Flap 30 Vref (landing speed) of 142 knots.

2. The rudder pedals are located in the cockpit. They have two functions: depressing the pedal moves the rudder and depressing the top of the pedal actuates the manual brakes. The rudders are also used for correcting crosswind crab angles before touchdown.

3. Cabin pressurization is maintained for the passengers to be comfortable, upto a maximum cabin altitude of 8000 feet. Over 10000 feet you wil need supplementary oxygen. (and that is if you are in the best of health and a non smoker) It has nothing to do with weight or speed.

4. Boeing airplanes use a method called the Assumed Temperature method of setting take off thrust. Airbus calls the same thing Flex temperature. Derating the take off thrust is used everyday in line operations as lighter take off weights do not require full power to take off. This also of course depends on runway length, temperature and the elevation of the airfeld.

5. There are no cameras installed on the 747-400. It is available from the manufacturer as an option.

6.Of course the cockpit is airconditioned/heated, and thank god for that.

7. Jet airplanes are not allowed to use reverse thrust to back up. Hence the need for a pushback tractor

8.While landing it is necessary to extend the landing flaps (in the 747-400 it is 25 or 30) Also, flap settings vary between airplanes, for example there is no flap 40 on the 747

9.All modern airplanes are safe.
flyboy747 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2009, 00:20   #70
BHPian

Awesome ! Thats the only word - frankly, I never had expected an Airplane review here ! I would GTO's words here - It never fails to surprise me. Really !

@flyboy - Welcome to the totally mad gang ! Hope you enjoy your stay here as much as you enjoy the flying.

PS: Where's Dippy ? I want to hear him say 'Main Chalaaoon ??' on this one for sure !

Oh, and btw, All those guys with ' I dont drive, I fly low' signatures - You all are pawned !!

Just kidding !
Old 4th April 2009, 00:54   #71
Senior - BHPian

i believe we have an airbus guy , who hangs around the classic sections mostly.His handle is AirbusDriver

Last edited by greenhorn : 4th April 2009 at 00:57.
Old 4th April 2009, 03:09   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy747 View Post

Boeing airplanes use a method called the Assumed Temperature method of setting take off thrust. Airbus calls the same thing Flex temperature. Derating the take off thrust is used everyday in line operations as lighter take off weights do not require full power to take off. This also of course depends on runway length, temperature and the elevation of the airfeld.

Jet airplanes are not allowed to use reverse thrust to back up. Hence the need for a pushback tractor

I noticed in Airbus Panel that there's a setting for Throttle which says Main-CL, Main-Flex and TO-GA. Please do share more about this Main-Flex too !

As for the reverse thrusters, are they not banned below 80 knots speed ?

Although no1 would want this to happen, but Has it ever happened with you that you had to Reject Take Off with N1 not being same for all the engines ?

Please tell us more !

Thanks & God Bless !
Old 4th April 2009, 11:36   #73
BHPian

Quote:

ever wondered why an airline ticket to NYC and back costs 50,000 and not 1,50,000.its because they dont supply each passenger with parachutes.cost cutting

secondly its not as easy as just jumping of an airplane and deploying a parachute.requires training...a lot of it.In Some training institutions abroad you can actually get a certificate after doing a number of jumps after which you can go solo.wearing a jacket and inflating it is a lot easier.

rev

A certificate???

Its a life saving man. (certificate might be for Paragliding.

What will happen, if a plane is flying on a city!!!!! & caught in a fire!!!! Where you inflate your life jackets?

You need parachuted man.
Old 4th April 2009, 11:38   #74
BHPian

Man Flex Man Climb are all thrust setting positions on the throttles. TOGA is the max power seting (Take Off Go Around). These are Airbus specific settings so I should not be commenting on them.
Reverse thrust is not prohibited below 80 knots. If need be you can take max reverse till a stop. The stall margin of jet engines reduces with less airflow (low speed) hence reverse thrust is reduced at speeds below 80 knots to come to idle reverse (lowest setting) by taxi speeds.

A reject take off could be for many other reasons as well. Different engines use different parameters for setting thrust (EPR or N1).

And no, I have never rejected a take off for that reason
Old 4th April 2009, 12:07   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
Awesome. You've whipped all the racerboys on this forum with your top-speed! At-least till an MiG-25 pilot decides to post on TBHP..

What's the top ground speed reached during takeoff ? I remember seeing the map/gps console show about 130km/hr.. could be more.
Thats way less... I am training on the Da-20 C1/Da 40 and 42s and they takeoff at 60-65 and 75 knots respectively. About 112kmph, 120kmph and 139kmph rspctly... and these are small 2-4 seater training a/c

and the da-42 cruises at 160kts appx 296kmph

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks