Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2014, 10:00   #3346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
Not sure whether KaSRTC now has a boarding point in Hinjewadi for their Mumbai originating buses.
All KaSRTC Mumbai-Bangalore services have a pick-up at Swargate. It seems there is a clause in their permit that the buses must compulsorily enter Swargate BS in both the directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
They used to run AL but now they run a 9100, 10 years from now, reckon they still will be running the latest bus available in the India market on the same route
Conti doesn't have the same brand recall as they used to. After changing hands, the service has gone down considerably, and a lot of passengers have moved on. Hindusthan Travels (another Coimbatore based operator) has been the beneficiary in this - they've built up a large base of regular passengers - mostly people who moved away from Conti and ARC/ABT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Do they not have more than one service everyday? I had traveled in their Isuzu to Cbe a year or so ago. It was an overnight service. I saw the Volvo 9100 headed to Bangalore this evening and an Isuzu (it's pairing bus?) headed to Cbe.
They have services leaving in the Afternoon (1pm) and night (11pm). The Isuzu is their old bus, which comes in as a Spare whenever the scheduled Volvo goes for service/repairs.

Quote:
They were part of the UMS group but there were rumours of the bus operation changing hands but the new owners retaining the "Conti" name. Does anyone have an update on this???
They've been sold out to another person - the details are not very clear. The new owner is the son-in-law of a big shot businessman in Coimbatore (owner of a pump manufacturing firm). They seem to have some agreement with UMS on using the brand name and their garage facility in Coimbatore. After the new management took over, online booking was introduced as well.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 10:40   #3347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Another operator I think of is Conti. This guy has a service running from Bangalore to Coimbatore since when we got independence. Its a single bus, leaves Bangalore in the afternoon, reaches Coimbatore in the evening and leaves an hour later and is back at dawn in Bangalore. They used to run AL but now they run a 9100, 10 years from now, reckon they still will be running the latest bus available in the India market on the same route
Conti started Volvo B7R service to Bangalore long before (one of their volvo was in news for an accident - skidded and fell on a road side (paddy) field). http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...me-inside.html
Then when ISUZU was introduced, they moved to them for their Bangalore route and those ISUZU's are serving their Coimbatore - Chennai sector now. During 99-2000 period they used to have DC Lextran design AL bus as well. It belongs to a well known business group (founder being known as Edison of India) and they had many city stage carrier buses as well. It was one of the most trusted service operator for Coimbatore region travellers but unfortunately they sold their service along with their brand name. So kindly don't underestimate the brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Do they not have more than one service everyday? I had traveled in their Isuzu to Cbe a year or so ago. It was an overnight service. I saw the Volvo 9100 headed to Bangalore this evening and an Isuzu (it's pairing bus?) headed to Cbe.
ISUZU's are now being operated in Coimbatore - Chennai sector along with AL sleeper bus.

Quote:
They were part of the UMS group but there were rumours of the bus operation changing hands but the new owners retaining the "Conti" name. Does anyone have an update on this???
As Binai mentioned, UMS has sold their "CONTI" brand to well known coimbatore based pump manufacturer's son in law, also its said to be a JV with other person. Crew is not so happy with the present ownernship, hope they don't spoil the brand name.

Last edited by v1kram : 7th July 2014 at 10:46.
Old 7th July 2014, 12:51   #3348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
ISUZU's are now being operated in Coimbatore - Chennai sector along with AL sleeper bus.
AFAIK, the Isuzu buses running on the CBE-Chennai route are different buses. They had two white coloured TN-60 regd Isuzu buses on that route from a long time - infact, those buses came before the Blue KA-01 regd buses that ran to Bangalore.

I see the blue Isuzu buses quite often at their parking in Residency Road in Bangalore even these days.

Can you please confirm if they've changed the buses that run on the CBE-Chennai route (just to update my info).
Old 7th July 2014, 13:49   #3349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
AFAIK, the Isuzu buses running on the CBE-Chennai route are different buses. They had two white coloured TN-60 regd Isuzu buses on that route from a long time - infact, those buses came before the Blue KA-01 regd buses that ran to Bangalore.

I see the blue Isuzu buses quite often at their parking in Residency Road in Bangalore even these days.

Can you please confirm if they've changed the buses that run on the CBE-Chennai route (just to update my info).
What Vikram says about the AL sleeper might be true because I saw a AL sleeper Conti (fairly new body built by Veera) on the Chennai-Trichy highway near Vandalur last week. But 2 nights back, I saw the old Isuzu on the same road which I presume is the MS-CBE one with a TN 66 CBE registration. This is the 9 PM departure from Chennai Egmore to CBE. I know this because I have a relative who frequents this night service and I've been to their pick up point recently. This Isuzu arrives at their Egmore facility after their Conti Benz cargo truck leaves for CBE at 8:45 PM.

As you rightly mentioned, there's very poor patronage for this Isuzu service and on that particular night my relative left, there were just 4 other men! An entire bus for 5 people makes no good business sense. The maintenance was just about average with the bumpers sticking out, paint peeling off in various places and seats in their last leg of life. The engine note alone sounded eager and good to go for another few lakh kms probably. Nowadays they take the Chennai-Tindivanam-Salem route (confirmed by my relative) rather than the Chennai-Vellore-Krishnagiri route.
Old 7th July 2014, 14:13   #3350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post

The ISUZU's that run on Coimbatore - Chennai sector is TN 66 regd white color buses, may be the Bangalore bound blue ISUZU's are different as you mentioned (KA regd).

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
What Vikram says about the AL sleeper might be true because I saw a AL sleeper Conti (fairly new body built by Veera) on the Chennai-Trichy highway near Vandalur last week. But 2 nights back, I saw the old Isuzu on the same road which I presume is the MS-CBE one with a TN 66 CBE registration. This is the 9 PM departure from Chennai Egmore to CBE. I know this because I have a relative who frequents this night service and I've been to their pick up point recently. This Isuzu arrives at their Egmore facility after their Conti Benz cargo truck leaves for CBE at 8:45 PM.

Nowadays they take the Chennai-Tindivanam-Salem route (confirmed by my relative) rather than the Chennai-Vellore-Krishnagiri route.
They have two relatively new sleepers on Coimbatore - Chennai sector.
I did make a round trip from Coimbatore - Chennai - Coimbatore in their ISUZU recently and the patronage was good for a weekday (almost full, 4 seats were vacant during onward trip and one seat vacant during return).
Yes, it does take Tindivanam, Ulundurpet route.
Old 14th July 2014, 10:32   #3351
BHPian

Folks,

Has anyone travelled on the TNSTC SETC Ultra Deluxe services from Bangalore to Chennai? I am looking at a low cost non AC option (train is ruled out as sleeper class tickets are on wait list) and hence considering this. I know they drive very slow, but that is alright (will actually help as the bus will reach Chennai in a more sane time instead of the 330 - 4 AM arrival time of private volvos). What is the condition of buses on this route?

Thanks in advance
Old 14th July 2014, 10:55   #3352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Folks,

Has anyone travelled on the TNSTC SETC Ultra Deluxe services from Bangalore to Chennai? I am looking at a low cost non AC option (train is ruled out as sleeper class tickets are on wait list) and hence considering this. I know they drive very slow, but that is alright (will actually help as the bus will reach Chennai in a more sane time instead of the 330 - 4 AM arrival time of private volvos). What is the condition of buses on this route?

Thanks in advance
Better, you look for Gee Pee, Jabbar etc who charge just around Rs. 300 on weekdays.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 11:32   #3353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone travelled on the TNSTC SETC Ultra Deluxe services from Bangalore to Chennai?... What is the condition of buses on this route?
Though I've never had the guts to try the TNSTC/SETC buses, my friend and ex-roomie used to take them very often for his Bangalore trips. The condition of the buses used to be average, and if you're lucky, you may get a rather new one in good condition. I've seen many new SETC AL 12M buses at Shanthinagar; you can have a very comfortable trip, if you get one of those.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 11:35   #3354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Thanks in advance
The condition is hit or miss. The buses are mixed - they have some new 12M buses, and some old 10.8M buses. The maintenance standards have improved over the past couple of years, but are still not very good.

There are some private operators like RoadLink who do not charge a bomb - but they do arrive by 4~5AM.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 09:24   #3355
Senior - BHPian

Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation
Central Offices: Bangalore.
Prayanothsava - Double Benefits

14-7-2014 to 18-9-2014

Travel more with KSRTC and Avail More Discounts and Benefits
I. Discount of 10%: For the benefit of commuters and to avoid the weekend rush, KSRTC is
introducing “Beat the weekend rush by reduced fares on weekdays”.

 This offer is applicable for advance bookings only.
 10% concession in fares for commuters who travel between Tuesday and Thursday.
 This offer is not applicable for journey dates, Thursday 14-8-2014, Wednesday 27-8-2014
and Thursday 28-8-2014.
 This offer is applicable for selected services only.

II. Discount of 30%: To reward the frequent travellers, "Travel More, Save More" scheme is
introduced. This offers 30% discount for the 4th travel with KSRTC.

 All tickets must be purchased through e-Booking or m-Booking on www.ksrtc.in.
 Applicable for registered eticket / mticket users who books 4 tickets using the same User
ID.
 Both the booking date and journey date shall be from 14-7-2014 to 18-9-2014.
 This discount is allowed only for single seat booking on the fourth ticket, provided tickets
booked earlier are not cancelled.
 This offer is valid on KSRTC services having advance booking facility.
 This discount cannot be combined with any other KSRTC discounts and is not transferable.
Only one discount is allowed on a ticket at a time.
 If any ticket is cancelled after booking the fourth ticket, the loyalty discount given will be
reversed.
 User while booking 4th ticket should select passenger Category as “Loyalty Discount” to
avail this Discount.

Source
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 19:24   #3356
BHPian

Has anyone travelled on the TNSTC SETC Ultra Deluxe services from Bangalore to Chennai? I am looking at a low cost non AC option (train is ruled out as sleeper class tickets are on wait list) and hence considering this

Aroon, why don't you look at KaSRTC Rajahamsa???

I travelled up and down a couple of years back on the same route on Rajahamsa and it was not bad at all. Take a bus leaving around 10 -10.30 PM (they have multiple services) and you will reach CMBT after 5 AM. And at around 350 Rs one way I don't think the cost is too high either

On my trip, the bus to Chennai was a new one . The return from CMBT, the bus from outside looked worn out but actually was maintained well.

SETC is hit and miss. I travelled a couple of months back from Tenkasi to Kottarakkara on a Velankanni Kollam bus of the Schenkotai depot. Well maintained new bus , but even then the speed at which they drive really tests your patience. I also saw a couple of days before that, the bus which was doing the 1730 Trivandrum Chennai service. This was of the Trivandrum depot (SETC has a depot in Trivandrum for many years) and the condition of the bus was so horrible. I saw a few senior citizens boarding the bus and could only feel sad for them.

In my opinion booking SETC is like taking a lottery ticket. I will go for Rajahamsa any day.
TKMCE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 16:19   #3357
BHPian

Guys, need your reviews on this SLS Business Class Multi Axle Volvo service between Kerala & Bangalore. Was booking a Palakkad - Bangalore Volvo ticket for my sis-in-law to travel on Saturday night and came across this service. We normally travel to Bangalore by car or train and am used to names like Kalladas and KPN; first time hearing of a service called SLS. Are they good? Also, in RedBus and and other online ticketing platforms, this service is showing up twice from Palakkad; one at 23:50 hrs and another at 23:55 hrs and there's a price different of Rs. 100 between the two! Are these two different buses or the same service? And why a price difference? Any reviews will be helpful!
Old 24th July 2014, 18:51   #3358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan83 View Post
Guys, need your reviews on this SLS Business Class Multi Axle Volvo service between Kerala & Bangalore. Was booking a Palakkad - Bangalore Volvo ticket for my sis-in-law to travel on Saturday night and came across this service. We normally travel to Bangalore by car or train and am used to names like Kalladas and KPN; first time hearing of a service called SLS. Are they good? Also, in RedBus and and other online ticketing platforms, this service is showing up twice from Palakkad; one at 23:50 hrs and another at 23:55 hrs and there's a price different of Rs. 100 between the two! Are these two different buses or the same service? And why a price difference? Any reviews will be helpful!
Please do not book online from Palakkad. If you/your SIL/someone related can, it's best to walk into one of the many travel agents near the Palakkad KSRTC bus stand (Manjakulam road, to be precise), and book one that they recommend. Last week, I made this mistake of booking a ticket online, for my brother to travel to Chennai, and when he went to board the bus, the agents advised him not to use redBus or any online ticketing site, as they know better about the buses and the times of arrival. Needless to say, the bus arrived an hour behind the advertised time in redBus, but on the dot at the time mentioned by the agent.
Old 24th July 2014, 21:12   #3359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan83
Guys, need your reviews on this SLS Business Class Multi Axle Volvo service between Kerala & Bangalore.
SLS is a new bus and used to arrive Bangalore by 7 am. Both the services listed are same.

As Silversteed mentioned, walk into any local agent, it should be cheap. You may also try KaSRTC Volvo which departs on time.
Old 25th July 2014, 08:56   #3360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan83 View Post
Was booking a Palakkad - Bangalore Volvo ticket for my sis-in-law to travel on Saturday night
Wait a minute! Check out KSRTC - they have 3 services, IIRC, one each from Tvm, Ktm and Ekm, passing through the Palakkad KSRTC depot. Fare works out to Rs.970 or thereabouts, which is the best VFM option. Buses are good, and the last I heard, they provide blankets now, which was not the case until a month ago. You can book online at their website: http://210.212.239.117:8080/KsrtcOnlineR/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks