Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2009, 08:53   #271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
Understand your feeling, here is something to clean up your memory. Kondody FP.
Recently Kondody replaced their old and prestigious Kottayam-Kumily-Kuttar Express bus with a new bus, slightly shorter than regular buses. Also i noticed, each Kondody bus looks different (The one in picture does not look that great though, looks like a car wind shiled placed on the back of the bus), since they makes bodies, i guess they try various styles and designs.

Last edited by teamveevee : 31st December 2009 at 08:55.
Old 31st December 2009, 09:42   #272
BHPian

Another Bad exp with Kallada!!!.

I was travelling from Chengannur to Bangalore on 26th Dec and promptly booked 3 tickets from the Rukma travels booking agent at Chengannur for the Kallada Multi Axel bus. We reached the agents office by 3.30PM and paid 2550 for 3 tickets. By 4 PM, a call came and it was informed that the multi axel bus is having some issues and it is camcelled and Kallada has arranged a normal B7R bus. This came by 4.15PM and we all got into it and the confirmation was we need to sit in the same seats as allocated for multi axel. At Thiruvalla, another travel agent came and started allocating seats to all. In multi axel, I was allocated I2,I3 and I4 and to my surprise, I was allocated the last row of seats by the Thiruavalla agent and that two with two small kids!!!. He was speaking very rudely and was drunk also.

Now I lost the money and not sure to whom I need to complain. I never used to travel by Kallada, and this happened because they have the AC service. I always prefer to travel by Rukma and the only problem is most of the non AC buses are infected with bugs. You will get bites and have the previlage of taking it back to your houses also!!!!

Regards,
Gopi.
Old 31st December 2009, 10:15   #273
Senior - BHPian

That kondody logo / style looks same from it was in the early 1980s.

The practise giving discounts to "sthiram" (regular) passengers is normal in most buses. THe usual practise is to charge one fare stage less. "Discounts" as in if your normal fare is 5, you will be charged only the cost of previous fare stage - 4.50.

Edit:- For the govt. the only motive for insisting on the upgrade to "fast passenger" etc., is taxation. The taxes for FP class is higher.

In past, there have been several buses downgrading to LS Ordinary from FP since they cannot compete with the lower fares of other LS ordinary operators.

Once all buses upgrade to FP, I guess that the discounts will vanish.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 31st December 2009 at 10:17.
Old 31st December 2009, 10:52   #274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
Another Bad exp with Kallada!!!.

Now I lost the money and not sure to whom I need to complain. I never used to travel by Kallada, and this happened because they have the AC service. I always prefer to travel by Rukma and the only problem is most of the non AC buses are infected with bugs. You will get bites and have the previlage of taking it back to your houses also!!!!
Gopi, i truly understand what you feel. Its happened to me as well, and these were the primary reasons which made me decide to drive down as much as possible, avoiding the hassles of bus travel.

Unfortunately, for people like us, we are dependent on the Kallada buses for A/C comfort, and their sheer monopoly on the MC Road route makes them behave with arrogance. Did you try speaking with the agent from the Rukma travels office in Chengannur? I dont expect much to come of it now, but just worth a try.

Also, isnt there a price differential of about Rs.100/- per ticket over the B7R? They didnt refund that amount also?
Old 31st December 2009, 10:59   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Gopi, i truly understand what you feel. Its happened to me as well, and these were the primary reasons which made me decide to drive down as much as possible, avoiding the hassles of bus travel.

Unfortunately, for people like us, we are dependent on the Kallada buses for A/C comfort, and their sheer monopoly on the MC Road route makes them behave with arrogance. Did you try speaking with the agent from the Rukma travels office in Chengannur? I dont expect much to come of it now, but just worth a try.

Also, isnt there a price differential of about Rs.100/- per ticket over the B7R? They didnt refund that amount also?
Yes there is a difference of 100 Rs. For B7R, the rate from CNGR to BLR is 750 and for B9R it is 850. I heard that Sharma is starting a B7R from Adoor to BLR and I even see it on 24th Dec.
I used to drive, but my parents are not allowing as I drive bit fast and more over it is tedious to drive more than 14hrs as I am the only driver in my family

Last edited by shalini_g : 31st December 2009 at 11:01.
Old 31st December 2009, 11:21   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
That kondody logo / style looks same from it was in the early 1980s.

The practise giving discounts to "sthiram" (regular) passengers is normal in most buses. THe usual practise is to charge one fare stage less. "Discounts" as in if your normal fare is 5, you will be charged only the cost of previous fare stage - 4.50.

Edit:- For the govt. the only motive for insisting on the upgrade to "fast passenger" etc., is taxation. The taxes for FP class is higher.

In past, there have been several buses downgrading to LS Ordinary from FP since they cannot compete with the lower fares of other LS ordinary operators.

Once all buses upgrade to FP, I guess that the discounts will vanish.

I simply have refused to take this new rule.

The first FPs when launched was met with wide criticsm from the general public as most of the operators converted their ordinary buses to FP and charged higher rates. Then the norm was the bus needed to have some basic additonal facilities like headrest.

Thats when Balakrishna Pillai came with a new rule saying that FP permit bus owners should have their own booking system, toilet facilities at their own bus stands. This was challenged by the private bus owners and the case went to Kerala HC. The court had then ruled this new FP permits was against the general public and quashed all FP permits, but pakka FP permits weren't and all temporary FP permits were cancelled and allof them went back to continue as LS service.

Now how can a lower court over rule the HC order? Am I missing something..

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
IIRC Kalloor Motors,PTMS(Pulickan) were also major players in Highrange routes in Kerala.Earlier these buses have service to Aluva via My town ,since I remember from childhood days.
@kadri007:Is the "Ballal Motors" Tourist Buses Still Operates from Mangala?heard from My Father that they were pioneers in Luxury Buses circa 1970's.
I have traveled by Kaloor motors, very decent service providers. I used to take the Aluva- Erumely, Kaloor motors departing at 3.00PM from aluva and used to returnalso by the same bus which leaves TDPZ by 9.00 AM. PTMS i havnt seen in Aluva, but i have seeen a lot from Kaloor stand in Ekm.I guess they ply on the same route as KMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
When my cousin used to work in town, he and his friends used to pay less than ordinary fare on a FP bus. The benefit for the bus operator, they take the same (company) bus in both directions on all 6 working days. He used to tell me most of the passengers in that bus as regulars and most of them work in collecterate.

There are few express buses ply on KK road, While going towards Highrange, If there are passengers they pretty much stop at any bus stops unless the bus is crowded. But return to Kottayam is another story.

On paper (permit) there could be various types Super Express, FP etc, but In reality what these buses actually charge is different from the fare sactioned by the gov (less than allowed, i am not sure whether there is any rule saying they should charge exactly as per the fare table). If they charge the SuperExpress fare in Kottayam-Kumily ticket, there may not be many passengers. The case may be different in other routes, i am just talking about the highrange routes.
I dont have much experience travelling in the KK road, i mostly travel via NH49 and my experience was based on that. Lot of times they shoo you away if you are a short distance passenger and even if you manage to get in, they say 'seats are already taken'.

Last edited by prmd_cochin : 31st December 2009 at 11:37.
Old 31st December 2009, 11:36   #277
BHPian

Now how can a lower court over rule the HC order? Am I missing something..

I meant will the govt go against its own stand in '97 now.

Last edited by prmd_cochin : 31st December 2009 at 11:50.
Old 31st December 2009, 13:43   #278
Senior - BHPian

@prmd_cochin:Well ,I was remembering old days(some 20 years back) when PTMS,PMS etc had services Erattupetta-Pala-Aluva/Highrange-Aluva services via MVPA,TDPA(most of them are cancelled as of now,while Kothamangalam-Aluva Permits are still very much there).

Ernakulam bus services were rare from Thodupuzha,Kothamangalam region earlier times(till 1970s or so) as Aluva was considered as the Major town during those times(Railway facility is also a reason) by Eastern regions. <- this information is told by a Elderly Man.

Last edited by deepclutch : 31st December 2009 at 13:46.
Old 31st December 2009, 14:30   #279
Senior - BHPian

@prmd.cochin - I think it is Kalloor, not Kaloor.

Quote:
so) as Aluva was considered as the Major town during those times(Railway facility is also a reason) by Eastern regions. <- this information is told by a Elderly Man.
Even now, Aluva happens to be the nearest point for most places in Idukki district for boarding trains.

There used to be several buses from the "eastern region" to Mattancherry - because Mattancherry used to be a major hill produce market.

With Mattancherry losing its Mutton and ending up as a normal "cheri", there are hardly couple of buses running to Mattancherry from Perumbavoor / Muvpzha side.

Speaking of the "each bus operator should have his own bus stand" policy from KK B Pillai, I feel it was one of carziest ideas ever.

Has anybody ever tried to board a bus to Ernakulam from Ettumanoor bus stand(s)? (I am very specific about the direction).

You will be first forced to choose between private and KeSRTC; if you choose to board from the stand. Because private buses cannot enter the KeSRTC stand, and vice versa. And the tragedy is that once you make the choice, you will have to watch (probably an empty) bus from the other operator passign through the other stand. while you are forcing your way into the chosen bus.

I hae been like on several occassions. Now, imagine if each operator has his own bus stand and in addition, buses have to enter each and every stand by each minor panchayath on the way.

Edit:- I think, in those days, there was no tax differential between ordinary and FP/Express buses; hence the eagerness of the private operators to "upgrade". Now, FP buses have to pay higher tax; hence they are hesitant to change.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 31st December 2009 at 14:31.
Old 31st December 2009, 14:47   #280
BHPian

Quote:
@prmd_cochin:Well ,I was remembering old days(some 20 years back) when PTMS,PMS etc had services Erattupetta-Pala-Aluva/Highrange-Aluva services via MVPA,TDPA(most of them are cancelled as of now,while Kothamangalam-Aluva Permits are still very much there).
PMS i think still has one service to Kottayam from Santhanpara via adimali - tdpz, it was FP permit. Few of the permanant FP permits remaining now.

PPK still runs the FP service from Bison valleyto Kottyam via th same route. This was Niramala before and they bought over the permit. When they launched the new bus it was with a TV and video player which was subsequently removed when MVD intrevened.

Jayan has a FP permit running thru Rakakkad - Adimaly - Vaikkom.

Angel used to have a munnar-kottayam, but dont know whether they have it now.

Last edited by prmd_cochin : 31st December 2009 at 14:49.
Old 31st December 2009, 22:08   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
I simply have refused to take this new rule.
I know there is no use

The new order by the Government is in line with the decision taken by the Transport Departments of the four southern states. The meeting took a decision on what should be the maximum distance for each class of service, and also defined what classes of one RTC would be equivalent to what class of the other.

IIRC, Kerala's Super Express is considered equivalent to the express of TN and Karnataka. (This is precisely one reason why KeSRTC is upgrading its interstate services to Super Express, at a good pace).

If you have ever bothered to notice this, TNSTCs interstate, and long distance intra-state services now clearly have this written on their windshields - "Express". Earlier, "Express" was a class exclusive to SETC (TTC/JJTC/RGTC in the olden days). Now even TNSTC's long distance buses are charged "Express" fares.

If you still refuse to agree to what I say, and continue to insist that what you have said in all your posts are same as what I have been saying, return back to the first line in this post. There is no use flogging a dead horse :(
Old 1st January 2010, 00:10   #282
BHPian

I dont know about TNSTC nor i have noticed express written on the side. My contention was only regarding the 140km mark and the FP rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I know there is no use

The new order by the Government is in line with the decision taken by the Transport Departments of the four southern states. The meeting took a decision on what should be the maximum distance for each class of service, and also defined what classes of one RTC would be equivalent to what class of the other.

IIRC, Kerala's Super Express is considered equivalent to the express of TN and Karnataka. (This is precisely one reason why KeSRTC is upgrading its interstate services to Super Express, at a good pace).

If you have ever bothered to notice this, TNSTCs interstate, and long distance intra-state services now clearly have this written on their windshields - "Express". Earlier, "Express" was a class exclusive to SETC (TTC/JJTC/RGTC in the olden days). Now even TNSTC's long distance buses are charged "Express" fares.

If you still refuse to agree to what I say, and continue to insist that what you have said in all your posts are same as what I have been saying, return back to the first line in this post. There is no use flogging a dead horse :(
Old 4th January 2010, 14:30   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch;
@kadri007:Is the "Ballal Motors" [B
Tourist Buses[/b] Still Operates from Mangala?heard from My Father that they were pioneers in Luxury Buses circa 1970's.
Yes the well known Ballal Motors is still operational. But now they have split into many groups:

Ballal Motor Service - BMS - Started in 1970's

Jayaraj Ballal Motors

Ballal Travels

Ballal Tourist

In this only Ballal Tourist is into Luxury Bus service and they operate Volvo services between Bangalore and Mangalore. The rest have services in and around Mangalore.

But now they have other business interest like Dealerships, Hotels, Hospitals, etc.

The Ballal group also owns couple of Hotels in Chennai under Palmgrove Hotels and in Bangalore they own Ballal Residency in Residency road.
Old 4th January 2010, 21:00   #284
BHPian

URGENT! Need contact number for Agents to book tickets for Sofia Lines from EKM to BLR.
Old 4th January 2010, 21:44   #285
BHPian

Nice. Have you travelled by these? I have some time back travlled by sleeper from Mumbai to Goa in the Paulo, was a decent experience but the ghat section was avoidable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Cross-posting from the Commercial Vehicle Thread...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks