Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2013, 21:21   #2731
BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Thanks for the information. I also will be travelling to Chennai and back to Hyderabad on 21st if this month. Planning to book Kesineni from Hyderabad to Chennai and Orange Tours & Travels from Chennai to Hyderabad.
Hi Anurag, if you are boarding Orange travels from Koyambedu, please dont go inside the private bus terminal, there is a petrol (IOC I believe) pump right at the entrance of the terminal and you will have to board the bus there. There is a snacks counter at the petrol pump if you want to buy some snacks. share your experience as well.
Old 14th May 2013, 21:38   #2732
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post

Hi Anurag, if you are boarding Orange travels from Koyambedu, please dont go inside the private bus terminal, there is a petrol (IOC I believe) pump right at the entrance of the terminal and you will have to board the bus there. There is a snacks counter at the petrol pump if you want to buy some snacks. share your experience as well.
You are right Balaji. There is a Indian Oil pump on the right side while entering the Koyembedu terminal. Don't Orange Travels have a designated area for pickup? Is it only on that entrance road?

Will definitely give my feedback and review here.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 14th May 2013, 22:43   #2733
BHPian

Thats right Anurag, Orange dont have a designated pickup, they will pickup you from inside the petrol pump, the pump is big enough to accommodate 6 - 8 buses, you should be able to easily identify and board this bus. There are other service providers who also board people from the pump.
Old 15th May 2013, 00:25   #2734
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
Thats right Anurag, Orange dont have a designated pickup, they will pickup you from inside the petrol pump, the pump is big enough to accommodate 6 - 8 buses, you should be able to easily identify and board this bus. There are other service providers who also board people from the pump.
The petrol pump owner must be getting his share of amount to be quiet as these buses block the traffic and other pump users. I know that its set up for the buses to use but still.

I have seen Kallada, Parveen and some small scale operators (assistant standing on the door and shouting names of places that the bus goes) mostly in that pump area. The other problem with that area is buses also block that roadway waiting till all passengers climb and settle in. For Example: Kesineni (VL 181) shows departure on ticket is 22:00, it leaves the designated parking area by 22:20 but it gets out of koyembedu terminal at 23:10. Unnecessary delay due to blocking and all the while waiting we get to listen to the music (read horn) played by all buses there.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 15th May 2013, 03:38   #2735
BANNED

I have a doubt guys regarding the timings on the RedBus website for a VRL service from Hyderabad to Chennai.

The bus starts at 17:00 hrs and reaches Chennai by 00:05 hrs. Is this arrival time correct? Has anyone used this service or for that matter is VRL recommended in this route.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 15th May 2013, 10:40   #2736
BHPian

Quote:
I have a doubt guys regarding the timings on the RedBus website for a VRL service from Hyderabad to Chennai.

The bus starts at 17:00 hrs and reaches Chennai by 00:05 hrs. Is this arrival time correct? Has anyone used this service or for that matter is VRL recommended in this route.

Cheers,
Anurag.
In the VRL website it says Dep time is 17:00 and Arrival is at 9.00 am which sounds reasonable. I think there should be some mistake that it shows 00.05 in redbus site. it is highly impossible to be in chennai from hyderabad in 7 hours.

Last edited by venki.bala : 15th May 2013 at 10:42. Reason: Sorry Mods. There was some mistake in when typing.
Old 15th May 2013, 15:31   #2737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
In the VRL website it says Dep time is 17:00 and Arrival is at 9.00 am which sounds reasonable. I think there should be some mistake that it shows 00.05 in redbus site. it is highly impossible to be in chennai from hyderabad in 7 hours.
I agree, 7 hours is unrealistic, my expectation is always 11 - 12 hours from Nampally and add 1 - 1.5 hours from Gachibowli.

Quote:
buses also block that roadway waiting till all passengers climb and settle in.
Thats right, the buses block the mail road just near the entrance and give hardship to the buses coming from Chennai Central, I had to walk down 50 metres to get in to the Orange bus when I realized that even at 8:00 PM, the bus was not at the pump, it took 40 minutes for them to cross the 50 metres and finally took off at around 8:50 PM.

Good luck with your experience with Orange.
Old 15th May 2013, 17:43   #2738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quite a lot of operators do not upload the "Arrival" time in RedBus. (Some such operators are VRL, SRM). For those buses, RedBus displays the arrival time as 00:05 (I guess its their standard value). Please go by the timings on the official website instead.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 17:44   #2739
BHPian

Pune- Nagpur VRL Travels Review.

Once again I had to visit my site in Orissa. As always it is a last minute 'planned' visit. So getting 'Tatkal' railway tickets was out of question, so was the lone Indigo flight due to obvious reasons..

What I do is, turned to the most trusted private operator in India (Strictly my own view), get ticket booked in the evening Multi, get a prompt 5 % discount. So all set.

Some Statistics:
ETD/ATD : 19:30/ 19:50
ETA/ATA : 08:00/ 08:40

We started off from my pickup point near Shivajinagar by 19:50. We had to endure heavy traffic until Wagholi toll. From then onwards it was a smooth drive till the dinner stop at Smilestones near Ahmednagar.
The food quality and overall housekeeping of this facility is great and is most recommended on the route, although a bit pricey.

The second driver took on from here. He was a class act. Usage of horn was kept to bare minimum. He was precise in changing gears and was using cruise control beautifully.
This was only the second time I was seeing a driver of a bus using his seat belt.

I went and sat on the co-drivers seat and had a good chat with him. We talked about various things and aspects of being a driver with VRL.

Some Exerpts:
1. VRL is best to work if you mould yourself into their system
2. Never ever the drivers are abused/ illtreated at VRL. Moreover they are treated as humans.
3. Approved mileage is greater than or equal to 2.90 kmpl, More interesting part is, The driver gets 75% of the amount pertaining to the saved fuel. This translates to a sumptuous salary and general assurance of the well being of the family.

I was up at the front till 05:00 till Amaravati bypass. Then onwards I slept and got up on the VRL fuel pump at the outskirts of Nagpur.
Thel beast gulped 441 liters of diesel for the round trip of 1574 kms which translates into outstanding economy of 3.6 kmpl.

I was dropped at Dharampeth at 08:40 with ample time to spare for my train to Orissa.

Overall a very good experience with VRL. I am happy to see their services gather good support.
Old 15th May 2013, 19:24   #2740
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
Pune- Nagpur VRL Travels Review.
Did you book the ticket from their website or redBus?

I guess you chose the Multi-Axle semi sleeper.

Anurag.
Old 15th May 2013, 21:42   #2741
Senior - BHPian

A Two-way let down by Kallada Tours & Travels

Made a round-trip to my hometown last weekend. I was actually booked to take a bus on Saturday night from Bangalore - but a last moment itch made me cancel my Saturday booking, and pre-pone the trip to Friday evening!! I normally prefer the afternoon or early evening departures on Friday, but on that particular day, all of my preferred buses were sold out! With no options left out, I was looking at some astronomically priced special buses to Kerala, when I noticed a full row appearing empty on a Kallada service - not wasting any time, I lapped up a right side window seat in the last-but-one row of a B9R.

Outward: May 10, 2013
Kallada Tours & Travels (Suresh Kallada)
Service #B20 (Bangalore,Mysore-Kozhikode-Ernakulam)
Bus: KA-01-D-4186 (Volvo B9R Semi-Sleeper) - about 8.4lakh kms on the odo

I booked the ticket through a third party website and got a cool Rs. 110 discount on the booking (making the ticket slightly affordable at Rs. 1290, instead of Rs. 1400 on the Kallada website).

There was an Aadhaar enrollment drive at office, and it delayed by start a bit - dashed from office to home and had to rush through packing and getting ready. I left home at 1930hrs - the bus was at 2015hrs from Madiwala. The auto guy understood my desperation and did his best to beat the awful friday evening traffic - we did get held up at many points, and I was dropped outside the Kallada office behind "Staples" at 2005hrs. There was an unbelievable queue for getting boarding passes! I saw my contact sitting at the counter, and decided not to be a good citizen - walked in straight and got the boarding pass. The bus number on the pass read "4186" - I was a bit worried when I saw the number - reasons unknown for the worry.

The bus is usually parked at Madiwala, but on that day the bus was at their Garage near Kalasipalayam. So it had to beat all the traffic and reach Madiwala (I thought they'd put us in a pick-up van instead). The bus came at 2024hrs (for a departure at 2015hrs) and left at 2042hrs. The bus was more-or-less full from Madiwala itself. Thankfully, the crowd was very light towards the city. We reached Kalasipalayam at 2107hrs and left at 2116hrs. It was raining cats-and-dogs when we reached Kalasipalya and hence boarding was a messy affair. It rained all the time as the bus crawled through Mysore road - traffic was messy, as usual, till we crossed Kengeri. A movie was played in the meantime.

Coming to the bus, KA-01-D-4186 is the second B9R of Kallada. The bus had clocked a good 8.4 lakh kms, and did show age. The seats were of Haritha "Magnum" make - not the regular Harita VFX. The interiors were in above average shape - none of the seats had magazine pouches. Rattles were under control - the engine sounded very odd through. It had amazing pick-up though, and ride was too good.

The bus stopped for dinner at a run down place near Channapatna - 2253hrs to 2314hrs. I slept after the bus started from there. Remember waking up when the bus hit some potholes post Hunsur - it was raining heavily even then. The driver wasn't very soft on the potholes or in turns - he ended up hitting some bad potholes roughly and some rash brakes at curves. Did not seem like a regular on the route. I had a nice sleep after that rough patch though - did not realise anything until the bus reached Kozhikode!! We reached Kozhikode (MM Ali Road office of Kallada) at 0614hrs - interestingly, only about 14 pax got off here! The bus was still full! Some 4-5 passengers got in as well (legitimate tickets - since their names were on the chart).

We left at 0618hrs - that was pretty quick by any standards. I had another nice sleep - woke up just as the bus pulled into a fuel station in Mankave (0623hrs). They took in 100lts of diesel, and got moving at 0631hrs. I slept off soon again - vaguely remember passing Ramanattukara. I woke up a while later to see the bus stopped in the middle of the road! It was 0655hrs then. I was wondering what was happening. The bus started moving soon, but made some odd noises. Later, the pulled out of the road and parked on the shoulder - could hear the driver raise the engine, and it was spewing white smoke! Now, I was sure that things weren't rosy! I sent a message to a contact in Kallada, and waited to see what was happening. We got moving at 0710. The bus just wasn't picking pace. After some more minutes on the road, they pulled out again and stopped on the road side - the engine just puttered and went dead!! Now, I was sure something is wrong!

Got off the bus and had a word with the crew - the fuel line was clogged! They were trying to pump manually and get the engine running - but the engine just wouldn't start. They called up their Bangalore office, and their chief mechanic was on the other side asking the crew to do some things - they did all that, and they engine started - but did not remain on for long - it spewed a lot of smoke again and went dead! In the meantime, my contact called me back, and updated me that the fuel line was clogged and they are working on the issue - a spare bus has been arranged - if things don't get alright, the spare would reach us. That was reassuring.

The drivers did all they could, and the engine switched on - this time, the rpm was idle and it wasn't spewing smoke. I thought things were alright, and they asked all pax to get it. We got moving - ran another 250metres, and the bus finally brokedown in the middle of the road - right outside Calicut University - 0814hrs! By now the drivers were told not to attempt anymore, and simply call the replacement. The replacement came at 0830 - a 2x3 seater non-ac bus!! We started from there at 0840 - took a breakfast break near Perumbilavu (a good 61 minutes!!) and finally I reached Kodungallur (my hometown) at 1327hrs! The scheduled arrival was 0830hrs - a good 4h57m late!

Now I know what was the ill feeling I had - to add salt, my co-passenger asked me when would the bus reach Ernakulam the moment I got in - I too feel its a bad omen to ask the arrival time! And, it just got proved! I promised to be home for breakfast, and just about made it for lunch!

Return: May 13, 2013
Kallada Tours & Travels (Suresh Kallada)
Service: Ernakulam to Bangalore AC Sleeper
Bus: KA-51-B-3197 (Volvo B9R Sleeper)

This was my first ever ride in a Volvo sleeper - so was very excited - the excitement last right from the time I booked the ticket till I got into the bus!

The scheduled departure from Thrissur was 2200hrs - I reached the office by around 2145hrs - showed the ticket and he marked the bus number on it, and said the bus will reach by 2215hrs. The clock went past 2230hrs, but no sign of the bus. After a lot of pestering, the guy called up the driver, and found that the bus had started late, and it was still more than 30kms away! It finally landed at 2303hrs - a good 63 minutes late. I got into the bus and headed to my berth - 5LB. The floor was high at this point, and it felt as if I was sleeping on the floor. The bus was chilling cold and the interior lighting was excellent (thanks to the china made LED lamps).

The sleeper interiors was done by Prakash (the official builder for Sleeper interiors in Volvo buses now) - the finish was awful - sharp metal edges, loose screws, and so on. The bus was less than a month old, and hence cannot be attributed to poor upkeep. The berth was fairly wide (I am an obese person - I found it very comfortable) and was under 6ft in length. The pillow (its actually a raised portion in the berth) was quite hard. All pax settled down quickly (the bus was full - 37/37 berths occupied). A blanket was left on the berth - it was smelling fresh, and was actually supplied in a sealed plastic packet.

For some reason, the bus did not move for quite some time - we started off only at 2349hrs - I was mentally prepared for a very late arrival in Bangalore, and even prepared to take leave (and lose a day's pay) - since we have a rigid clock-in policy. The engine noise was well heard inside - very poor insulation work by Prakash (The shell that comes from Volvo is bare, and does not have any insulation material inside - it doesn't have any floor as such - just the box frame structure). Heat was penetrating in as well. I had a short nap, and woke up just as the bus was passing Walayar - 0140hrs. It was HOT inside now - i was sweating badly. The AC vents were blowing out warm air - no sign of the AC! I remained calm for some time - later made my way to the cabin (thankfully, there is no cabin door). Two spare drivers were sleeping on the gangway - so it made for a struggle to reach the cabin.

The driver had left his window open, and hence he had no idea about the AC not working. He checked the console after I told him that the AC was dead - all his attempts went in vain, and the AC just wouldn't budge. We reached Ettimadai checkpost by now (0151hrs) - as the cleaner went to get the papers checked, I asked the driver to shut down the engine and re-start. (The new AC compressors have an RPM based cut-off, to prevent damage to the compressors if the engine runs at low RPMs - the bus had once almost shut down due to low rpm). The AC started working after he re-started. In the meantime a lot of people got off the bus for a leak. We got moving at 0158hrs. Now the AC was working - I headed off to sleep. Slept for some time, and woke up as the bus pulled into their normal fuel station in Perundurai (0400hrs). We started from there at 0419hrs.

I had peaceful sleep after this break - woke up past 0600hrs (sweating again) - we were around Krishnagiri now. The ac was spewing hot air again. The overhead ventilation hatches were now open!! I think the drivers abandoned the thought of re-starting the AC now. It was quite stuffy inside - but I was too tired to teach the driver about the RPM based cut-off again. We reached Hosur at 0746hrs, Electronic City at 0814hrs, and I was finally dropped at Silk Board at 0825hrs. Gave a piece of my mind to the crew before getting off for all the delays. I ended up losing my pay as well.

Another "war" with the ever greedy rick guys, who were asking for Rs. 450 for a 6km ride home!! Another "good" guy agreed for Rs. 150 (still on the higher side) - I tipped him another Rs. 20 as I got off.

Overall - Kallada let me down both ways. I'd surely not hesitate try them again though.

The Sleeper was taken to the workshop the same day to set the AC right - some wiring mess-up by Prakash (I guess) - it seems the bus has been having AC faults every other trip.
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 22:15   #2742
BHPian

Quote:

Did you book the ticket from their website or redBus?

I guess you chose the Multi-Axle semi sleeper.

Anurag.
Yes, I did book the ticket on their website. Website booking offers 5 % discount, although redbus offers discounted rates whenever VRL lists their services on their portal.
And I chose their Multi- Axle semi sleeper. Their 2 x 1 A/C sleeper with individual video screen starts this week.

Cheers,
Abhijeet.
Old 15th May 2013, 23:39   #2743
BHPian

Quote:
Overall - Kallada let me down both ways. I'd surely not hesitate try them again though
You are indeed a most forgiving and patient person....late by 5 hours with a bus break down and transfer to a Nov AC bus on the outbound and by around 2 hours and most of the time in non a/c comfort on an A/C sleeper on the inbound. Also you lost a days pay and is prepared to forgive and forget.

Kallada should be proud of such passengers like you. Seriously I would have thought that this was crappy service at is worst. Anyway good feedback. It seems Kallada is slipping quickly back to its earlier shoddy standards if your report is to be believed.

On a serious note I find the below comment and many similar ones so often repeated by many bus enthusiasts very difficult to understand

Quote:
to add salt, my co-passenger asked me when would the bus reach Ernakulam the moment I got in - I too feel its a bad omen to ask the arrival time

I do not see anything wrong in this question. Many people including women travelling alone have to get off at enroute points at early hours of the day and I don't see why people including drivers have an issue if some passenger asks when the bus will arrive. Many drivers are outright rude when replying to such questions including to women and sometimes you feel sick of the rude way by which they reply.

A little politeness and courtesy by these guys doesn't do any harm, else let these drivers put a notice in the bus to the effect that the" bus will reach when it is destined to reach- don't harass us" and I guess you will soon see the management singing a different tune and telling these drivers to behave when people flock to other operators.

I think Kerala routes urgently need operators like VRL or Orange who have a good reputation. G4 restarted with a good reputation but seems to be slipping up nowadays. SRM at least if my recent experience is anything to go by has mellowed down considerably in speed and their staff politeness was always consistently good so has been that of Parveen.
Old 16th May 2013, 08:39   #2744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
Kallada should be proud of such passengers like you. Seriously I would have thought that this was crappy service at is worst. Anyway good feedback. It seems Kallada is slipping quickly back to its earlier shoddy standards if your report is to be believed.
I am a fairly regular Kallada user, and I am ready to accept what happened this time - since I am aware of what happened exactly. That might not be the case of other passengers - there was a guy who was shouting at the driver for not arranging a spare bus at 7AM itself. The same guy wasted an hour when the spare bus stopped for breakfast - with his silly antics at the hotel. The people at Kallada's office were ready to provide information to the passengers, than keeping them in the dark and waiting. Being a regular user, I still would prefer taking Kallada (both the Kalladas) over any other operator - none of the others have been consistent. SRM is not part of my view since they don't have a service to caters to the Thrissur-Ernakulam belt at decent hours.

The people at Kallada's office were updating passengers through the crew time-to-time, and they managed to arrange a spare bus, on a peak day during the marriage season. They normally arrange for mini buses, but on that day we had a good 35 passengers on board when the breakdown happened.

Any big operator will have their share of bad feedback - there are people who crib for 5 minute delays (may be they themselves caused a delayed departure by turning up late) and rate the bus as poor on Punctuality. There are people who know that the bus got delayed due to a reason beyond the operator/driver (as in an accident or some road block) and still blame the operator/driver for all the delays - humans are unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
I do not see anything wrong in this question. Many people including women travelling alone have to get off at enroute points at early hours of the day and I don't see why people including drivers have an issue if some passenger asks when the bus will arrive. Many drivers are outright rude when replying to such questions including to women and sometimes you feel sick of the rude way by which they reply.
Drivers are a lot of people who believe in superstitions - and believe me, every time someone asks about the arrival time, there has been something wrong enroute - a breakdown, or an accident, a traffic block or a traffic checking. Its better to check the website about the expected arrival time, or ask the ticket checker or even the attendant - but not the driver. The drivers tend to be rude because they are the most affected by delays - the very same passenger who asked about the timing would bark at him for the delay.

These are simple things that a passenger can keep in mind - of course, there are people who believe they bought the bus because they paid for a seat.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 14:16   #2745
Senior - BHPian

With regard to the driver's superstition about arrival times. I remember it used to be the same when I used to travel on buses regularly early in my career (10 days a month used to be on travel in South India). The drivers invariably used to answer "the bus will reach when ever it will reach please go to your seat"

Most Viewed