Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 15:35   #1696
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I have a doubt: Bangalore buses from Changanassery and south, are they increasingly taking Alappuzha-Ernakulam route than MC road-Angamaly?

I think there are only 2 volvos in MC road(Angamaly) route, One from Modern Travels and another one is KPN or Kallada Volvo.
Even Kottayam buses take Ernakulam-Vaikom route may be because there are more takers for Ernakulam on weekdays. Also, I think, route via Ernakulam - Alleppy is slightly faster than MC road for a night service.
Old 16th May 2012, 15:51   #1697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I have a doubt: Bangalore buses from Changanassery and south, are they increasingly taking Alappuzha-Ernakulam route than MC road-Angamaly?

I think there are only 2 volvos in MC road(Angamaly) route, One from Modern Travels and another one is KPN or Kallada Volvo.
There is a Karnataka SRTC Multi Axle (Club Class) Volvo between Bangalore Kottayam starting Shanti nagar at 1915 and a Bharati Multi Axle Volvo between Bangalore and Pathanapuram via Muvatupuzha ,Kottayam, Adoor which departs Madivala at 2030. The Bharathi service appears to be operated for Angel Travels.
TKMCE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 22:20   #1698
Senior - BHPian

Any reviews on SRM transports Bangalore - Velankanni A/c sleeper service?
Last week I saw a new design sleeper bus at Madiwala parking area.
Old 18th May 2012, 11:02   #1699
BHPian

TNSTC, Villupuram is operates a Bangalore-Tambaram Service. The one I use(d) starts from Satelite bus stand at mid night (0000 hrs) and reaches Tambaram by 7 AM.

Bus is new; though the seating is cramped (the age old TNSTC layout) the service is quite punctual. The route is Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Kanchi-Tambaram.

Though it may not be advisable for family (no reservations + odd time of start), it is a convenient service for a quick travels, alone.
Old 18th May 2012, 12:34   #1700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
TNSTC, Villupuram is operates a Bangalore-Tambaram Service. The one I use(d) starts from Satelite bus stand at mid night (0000 hrs) and reaches Tambaram by 7 AM.

Bus is new; though the seating is cramped (the age old TNSTC layout) the service is quite punctual. The route is Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Kanchi-Tambaram.

Though it may not be advisable for family (no reservations + odd time of start), it is a convenient service for a quick travels, alone.
We also have one Bangalore(Shanti Nagar)-Tambaram service from SETC also. It starts from Bangalore(Shanthi Nagar) at 10.10 PM.
dhandapanik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 12:49   #1701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
We also have one Bangalore(Shanti Nagar)-Tambaram service from SETC also. It starts from Bangalore(Shanthi Nagar) at 10.10 PM.
Took that option (without knowing actual start time) about a year ago. Too many bugs made seating intolerable (ended up bleary eyed and with lot of skin rashes next day). Is there any improvement now?
Old 18th May 2012, 13:36   #1702
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone knows the online booking website for Shama Transports (Kerala services)?
There is a site shamasardar.in which seems not correct.
Old 18th May 2012, 14:21   #1703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Took that option (without knowing actual start time) about a year ago. Too many bugs made seating intolerable (ended up bleary eyed and with lot of skin rashes next day). Is there any improvement now?
SETC is going to replace almost all their buses. All the 12M AC buses owned by SETC will also get converted to UD buses. SETC will be getting 474+299(Total 773) buses. As of FY 2010-2011 SETC owned 987 buses. 50 new buses from 474 lot is already added and 11 Rebuilt buses also got added to fleet on 31st March. As per Tamil daily Dinamani, we can expect 54 new buses and 16 rebuilt buses getting added to the fleet soon.

I hope we will see some improvements in SETC operations.
Old 18th May 2012, 15:46   #1704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Does anyone knows the online booking website for Shama Transports (Kerala services)?
This one appears to be the correct one

http://www.shamatransports.com

As I have not used the same, please cross check with a local office before using-this is what is given on the buses (check google images).

Last edited by TKMCE : 18th May 2012 at 16:00.
TKMCE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 08:17   #1705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
This one appears to be the correct one

OBs Online

As I have not used the same, please cross check with a local office before using-this is what is given on the buses (check google images).
Thanks. This site allows tickets from Bangalore only

KaSRTC buses we running full hence booked on SRM transports as they had some 20 seats available yesterday afternoon. As per their website, the boarding time at Vyttila is 9.45 but the bus reached only at 10.45. (Earlier it was 10.30 Dep)

They went through Palacode (to avoid toll?) and reached Silkboard at 7.25. Total about 25 mins break including one diesel break and two tea breaks.
Old 19th May 2012, 09:42   #1706
BHPian

I have observed that many private operators do not encourage online booking on the return leg from Kerala to Bangalore/Chennai.

A few reasons

1 The entire bus on the return trip is split into quotas for various agents at various towns. Usually these will be 2 or max 4 seats except for some major agents where it can even go to 10 or 15.

2 Increasingly many of the agents who have their quotas are having their own websites. If you check Zam Zam travels in Aluva (I refer to the Aluva agents often in this thread since I dont have a choice but to use them most of the time), they have quotas in about 8-10 buses of various operators, all for 2 or 4 seats.

3 The agents need the guaranteed blocks (quotas) as especially in the smaller towns , they have their regular clientele who travel often and would need seats at short notice. Many of them do not prefer to use the internet.

Even for those operators who allow online booking, the availability in many cases will show zero even if the bus is empty on the return trip from Kerala. This is because the entire quota is split among various agents and in the operators website all seats will show as BLOCKED, This doesnt mean that the bus is full. If you check with the respective agents or even go to the agents websites you will be able to book the seats most of the time.

Infact got a chance to verify this yesterday when one of my friends had to desperately get back at short notice to Bangalore from Trivandrum on a Sunday. Tried all operator websites (KaSRTC/KPN/SRM/Sharma/SRS)- all were showing full!! On a hunch checked Sona Travels Alwaye website (they allow booking from Trivandrum) and one seat was showing up on the Viji Yatra service (Viji Yatra doesnt sell the service itself on their own website). Since it was the only seat, my friend called up Sona Travels to confirm if indeed the seat was available and the answer was yes (but at a marked up price of 1500 on a regular service!).

Regarding KaSRTC, while I cannot confirm this, I strongly suspect there may be a similar arrangement. I was able to book a ticket for a sunday evening departure from Trichur from an authorised agent of KaSRTC located outside the Trichur bus station at very short notice. When I asked for a seat he merely took out a number of pre booked tickets on various services (the computerised tickets of KaSRTC - not e-tickets) and asked me to chose the bus and seat. He just noted down my name and age in a piece of paper. No questions asked by the conductor also. Infact these KaSRTC tickets do not have name or age printed anywhere in the ticket- just adult/child and M/F.

Last edited by TKMCE : 19th May 2012 at 09:45.
TKMCE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 11:56   #1707
Senior - BHPian

In redbus, I checked for services from Muvattupuzha to Bangalore. curiously, all services are shown as operated by a local travel agent. No particular Bus operator name is listed. confusing for someone who will want to buy ticket online. atleast, Bus operator name must be mentioned along with the bureau name.
Old 19th May 2012, 13:46   #1708
BHPian

Had travelled quite some time back by SEABIRD travels, cheats of the first order. Booked for Multi-axle and got a horrible ordinary bus. Never again.

Recently travelled by VRL, booked for Multi-axle and thats what they delivered a fantastic bus, very well kept, professional service to the core. Well dressed drivers and assistant.

In future will always travel by VRL if I have to go by bus. Strongly recommend VRL.
Old 19th May 2012, 15:02   #1709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch
In redbus, I checked for services from Muvattupuzha to Bangalore. curiously, all services are shown as operated by a local travel agent. No particular Bus operator name is listed. confusing for someone who will want to buy ticket online. atleast, Bus operator name must be mentioned along with the bureau name.
In redbus for a particular bus i looked up and saw only 5 seats are available that too towards rear. Same bus/trip i looked up at MakeMyTrip all other seats except these 5 seats are available!!!
And I booked thru MTM.
Old 19th May 2012, 17:50   #1710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Shama is being operated by a Thrissur based travel operator called Travel Centre. In fact they have taken contract of all the return services of Shama-Trivandrum,Pathanamthitta and Ernakulam respectively.That is the reason why the return ticket facility is not available on their website.You can contact Thrissur office for the return tickets on 0487-2441385,09388475998.Once you have done the phone booking you can board the bus from your location and your payment will be collected by the attender in the bus.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks