Senior - BHPian

Caparo to bring Hyundai Aero Buses to India

Just read about this in the newpaper :

Caparo to make Hyundai's luxury buses in India

The link to the eBrochure of the AeroBus :

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/d...chure_Aero.pdf

Some excerpts :

-------------------------------------------

UK-based Caparo Group’s India unit said today that it has agreed with South Korea’s Hyundai Motor Co to produce and sell luxury buses in India, targeting the fast-growing commercial vehicle market. Caparo India plans to set up a greenfield facility in southern India, from where the famed Hyundai Aerobus will roll out for the Indian market. Sunil Pahilajani, managing director and CEO, Caparo India, said that the plant, which will operate as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Caparo India, under its division Caparo Vehicle Products India, will commence production in the final quarter of 2008-09.

-----------------------------------------

Looks like Volvo will face stiff competition from this stunning bus from Hyundai . KingLong (China) and Corona have not made any dents into the Volvo share in the luxury bus market, but I think the AeroBus will give the Volvo buses a run for their money.
Old 25th March 2008, 17:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is one gorgeous-looking luxury bus .

Caparo to bring Hyundai Aero Buses to India-hyundai_aero.jpg
Old 25th March 2008, 23:14   #3
BHPian

Well, this bus looks really good. But we need to see how they price this bus, Volvo was selling at astronomical prices because they were the only one's in the "luxury" bus segment earlier. If priced at this same level it may not bring in too many buyers.
Old 25th March 2008, 23:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Why doesnt Hyundai launch CVs directly?
Old 25th March 2008, 23:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

It has to be priced a lot cheaper, after all it is korean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Maybe they want to share their loss with someone.
Old 26th March 2008, 10:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai is a playing safe, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
They probably dont want to take all the risk by themselves : by being just technology-providers, they get the royalty money, but the investment costs and business aspects are taken care by Caparo group. If there is a business loss in this venture fails for some reason, the Caparo group takes the hit more than Hyundai.
Old 27th March 2008, 09:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

If Hyundai does start producing these buses, I am sure we will see many of them in the TNSTC fleet.
Old 27th March 2008, 14:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Monopoly market of Volvo in the bus and truck business should be shattered due to this.But i doubt whether there would be the reliability of Volvo for these busses which is a deciding factor for these work horses.
ram
Old 27th March 2008, 21:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good move! About time Volvo got some competition. Bring in quality buses and get rid of the old lousy buses off the roads.
Old 28th March 2008, 12:49   #10
BHPian

I dont think the Aero will be priced around the Volvo. It will be priced more like the KingLong.
I compared the interiors of the B7R and the Aero back to back. The B7R still has more leg room in the same seating configuration as compared to the Aero.

If the Aero is priced around 50Lakhs or so, then it will definately eat into the B7Rs sales. On the specs page of the Aero, if you see, the top speeds mentioned are between 110 and 135 dependin on engine options. B7R's site mentions the top speed as 109. However, the B7R is known to hit 120. that means the Aero will be a flying machine
Old 16th March 2010, 18:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
I dont think the Aero will be priced around the Volvo. It will be priced more like the KingLong.
I compared the interiors of the B7R and the Aero back to back. The B7R still has more leg room in the same seating configuration as compared to the Aero.

If the Aero is priced around 50Lakhs or so, then it will definately eat into the B7Rs sales. On the specs page of the Aero, if you see, the top speeds mentioned are between 110 and 135 dependin on engine options. B7R's site mentions the top speed as 109. However, the B7R is known to hit 120. that means the Aero will be a flying machine
It's quite normal to underplay the top speed in the specs. None of the AL buses is capable of breaking the 90kmph mark officially. In reality, they do about 100 - 110. Once experienced in ABTx 4 1/2 hrs from Koyambedu to Hosur via Guindy, Porur, Poonamallee
Old 16th March 2010, 19:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthwheel View Post
Once experienced in ABTx 4 1/2 hrs from Koyambedu to Hosur via Guindy, Porur, Poonamallee
Not doubting the timings. I have experienced similar timings myself on ABTx. But are you sure of the route that ABT took as they have their bus shed in Guindy? They usually start from Guindy and go to Koyambedu and then on to Poonamallee via Maduravoyal
Old 16th March 2010, 21:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

As rightly put across, domestic manufacturers like Tata and Leyland do not provide comfort / performance voluntarily. When volvo launches their Bus and it turns to be a world class hit, where did AL and Tata go as they are rooted in india. Volvo would have sent a team to do a feasibility study and then launch a product. I had a friend in AL Hosur who said they manufactured engines (R&D) some 50-60 bhp less than Volvo. This really affects the performance. It looks like a volvo, stickered like a VALVO, Sold like a VELVO. They must bring luxury interstates into india first. I have travelled by Tata Cerita and Mercedes-Benz bus, but they lack that power that Volvo Has.
Old 17th March 2010, 08:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
If Hyundai does start producing these buses, I am sure we will see many of them in the TNSTC fleet.
Very very true; somehow our govt does not like Volvo buses & among the 4 states in south, TN was the last one to add Volvos into their fleet & most busses plying from TN to other states were bearing other states registration more than TN registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Good move! About time Volvo got some competition. Bring in quality buses and get rid of the old lousy buses off the roads.
Volvo already has a competition from none other than Benz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthwheel View Post
It's quite normal to underplay the top speed in the specs. None of the AL buses is capable of breaking the 90kmph mark officially. In reality, they do about 100 - 110. Once experienced in ABTx 4 1/2 hrs from Koyambedu to Hosur via Guindy, Porur, Poonamallee
Check this out - Volvo does Chennai-Trivandrum in about 13 hours & add more than an hour of break to it and that is atleast 750 Kms
Old 17th March 2010, 19:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

I believe the plan to bring Aero buses is scrapped .no idea any such kind development is underway..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks