Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: BLR: Second airport. Where?
Tumkur Road area - (W) 20 12.82%
E-City area - (S) 70 44.87%
Mysore Road - Bidade / Ramanagra area (SSW) 58 37.18%
Hoskote side (E) 15 9.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2024, 10:52   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Bengaluru: Where should the 2nd airport be located?

We might be hyper-locally biased but where should the second BLR airport be located?

KIAL has RoFR till 2033 but after that it's a free for all. With Adani, Zurich Airports, Fairfax and GMR in the fray, it should lead to an interesting PPP venture.

Last edited by itwasntme : 5th July 2024 at 11:15.
itwasntme is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 10:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bengaluru: Where should the 2nd airport be located?

Hosur!

South BLR folks would be well served by an elevated highway that connects to exiting E-city elevated highway.
Kosfactor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 11:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

Since hosur airport is coming up, e-city area may not work out. Mysore road side is more practical if land can be obtained.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 11:19   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Our delightful altruistic KA politicians and their motley crew of carpetbaggers and real estate barons have already bought humongous tracts of land in anticipation.

Since the Central Government is the final arbiter, I expect a lot of heartbreak from the ‘losers’.

Last edited by itwasntme : 5th July 2024 at 11:20.
itwasntme is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 11:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Our delightful altruistic KA politicians and their motley crew of carpetbaggers and real estate barons have already bought humongous tracts of land in anticipation.

Since the Central Government is the final arbiter, I expect a lot of heartbreak from the ‘losers’.
Don't forget, its that part of the equation where everyone is a friend of others. Its unity when something big is available

I wouldn't want peace and traffic to be disturbed in the southern Bidadi area by constructing the airport. Maybe towards Anekal would be good. This would be closer to TN also. They should first create BRTS, Metro and expressway ring roads meant only for vehicles before they start the airport.

Last edited by PreludeSH : 5th July 2024 at 11:40.
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 12:10   #6
BHPian

South/South East Bengaluru areas' airport access problem can be easily solved by building the PRR and the STRR much before 2033. The deputy CM of current government is making the right noises about PRR. So hopefully that problem would be solved in next few years.

Tumkur is not too far away aerially from current airport. Connectivity can be improved with STRR and a rail link (proposed circular railway).

So, Mysore Road would be the best location for a second airport. In parallel, they should build dedicated rail transit between Bengaluru-New Airport-Mysore-Hassan on the lines of the Delhi-NCR RRTS.

TN should build another airport in Krishnagiri to cater to Hosur, Krishnagiri, Dharmapuri, and Salem.
DigitalOne is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 12:57   #7
BHPian

One attractive option not included in the poll is West Bengaluru, specifically near Magadi Road. This area is less developed, offering the advantage of lower land prices compared to other regions, making it a feasible location for an airport closer to the city. Additionally, it is well-connected; being close to the Mysuru highway, Hassan (Mangalore) highway, Mumbai highway, NICE road and STRR.

Last edited by madhukarmohan : 5th July 2024 at 12:59.
madhukarmohan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 13:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Rather than a whole new 'International' Airport, they should just modernize the HAL airport and move most domestic operations to this part of the town.

But then, I am also worried about the impact of traffic on this already congested area.
dass is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 13:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Wow, if it comes up at Ramanagara it will be like a dream. Devanahalli is too dry for me, never liked the location. Im also a big sucker for NICE road, one of the best roads in India. LOVE it! Anything touching NICE is PERFECT!

Last edited by Sebring : 5th July 2024 at 13:29.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 14:26   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Rather than a whole new 'International' Airport, they should just modernize the HAL airport and move most domestic operations to this part of the town.

But then, I am also worried about the impact of traffic on this already congested area.
I live pretty close to the HAL airport and even back in 2008, just before that airport shut down, the line to enter the airport used to stretch outside the airport, I mean we were literally standing outside waiting to enter the building! There is simply no space to modernize that airport in a way that can handle today's domestic passenger traffic.

And the road traffic has become exponentially worse on that road. No chance it can handle the additional airport traffic coming in from all parts of the city.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 20:28   #11
BHPian

Voted for Mysore Road (SSW) - hold a small plot around this segment.

However, having an international airport around Tumkur, would likely benefit the state the most in terms of spurring development across the arid zones of Tumkur/Sira and beyond.
This could be along the Bangalore Mumbai Economic Corridor ( Ref: https://www.nicdc.in/images/document...ry_Report..pdf ).
Haque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 12:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bengaluru: Where should the 2nd airport be located?

Only if KA and TN govt can come together for greater good and build a joint airport near Anekal-Hosur rather than both govt trying to outdo other and create total chaos !

New airport in South or South West could help both the states ! Connect it to Nice Road/STRR/PRR and build a dedicated metro line to KIAL. But I guess it may be too much to ask !

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 6th July 2024 at 12:47.
Aviator_guy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 14:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

If Bangalore gets 3 airports (BIAL, Old HAL, and say 1 more anywhere from Mysore road to Hosur) then all the traffic problem will fly away, literally from the ground level to about 2 kms up in the sky! How much can a 100sqkm airspace accommodate. Dont forget the Airforce base in Yelahanka too in between all this.

Honestly with such a large airport in BIAL the last thing one needs is another airport. I feel the BIAL is much larger and beautiful than DXB 1-2-3!

Fix the roads connectivity, invest in lot more mini-flyovers and increase Policing force.
svsantosh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 14:48   #14
BHPian

I voted for E-City as my home is on Haralur Road. In a large city like Bengaluru, everyone wishes to have the airport close to their place of residence and commuting time is minimised.

Having said that, I would want the 2nd airport any where in Bengaluru (Mysore road or Tumkur road) as long as there's an airport metro line to the new airport.

Now Mysore road and Tumkur road have Metro lines and if they can extend it to the new airport, then the location of the new airport doesn't matter to me. Metro is a great Equalizer. When I see a Bentley and a TVS Scooty side by side, jostling for space in the busy Bengaluru traffic, I always muse that traffic is a great Equalizer. In similar way, as long as an efficient metro line is extended to the proposed 2nd airport, the location doesn't matter much to me.

Of course, if the new airport is close to Electronic City or the old HAL airport renewed, then I would be delighted as my commuting distance and time reduces considerably.
ashkamath is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 17:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post

Even I think this is a more practical approach.
However, instead of 'most', I would restrict to few. There are easily 20+ flights from Bangalore to Mumbai. They can move 6-8 flights to HAL. Similarly for other cities especially in South India.

Currently, its really weird that someone has to travel 2 hours by cab for a 40-60 min flight to most south indian cities.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks