Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: BLR: Second airport. Where?
Tumkur Road area - (W) 26 15.57%
E-City area - (S) 72 43.11%
Mysore Road - Bidade / Ramanagra area (SSW) 61 36.53%
Hoskote side (E) 15 8.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2024, 17:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Bengaluru: Where should the 2nd airport be located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Currently, its really weird that someone has to travel 2 hours by cab for a 40-60 min flight to most south indian cities.
In Goa, the new Manohar international airport at Mopa is 109 kms from Canacona, South Goa.

So, a passenger from Canacona in South Goa will take 3 hours to travel to Mopa airport and Taxi fares start at Rs. 4,000 and upwards.

Technically a person would have travelled almost the entire length of Goa to reach Mopa from Canacona. The total distance from entering Goa from Karnataka in South & exiting Goa to Maharashtra in North is around 137 kms of NH66.
Old 6th July 2024, 18:07   #17
BHPian

Per this website https://www.flightsfrom.com/top-100-airports, DXB has 540 scheduled departures and LHR has 535 scheduled departures, and both these airports operate with 2 runways. BLR is at #56 with 346 scheduled departures. Assuming the traffic explodes by 2x in the next 15 to 20 years, wouldn't it be viable to build a 3rd runway and a 3rd/4th terminal in the current location instead of a new airport altogether. I know there is enough space for 2 additional terminals in KIAL, but I am not sure if there is space for a 3rd runway. On a side note, its my personal belief that most votes in this poll would be more or less biased based on the voters' location and what they feel about having an airport in their general vicinity rather than on merits.

Last edited by SR-71 : 6th July 2024 at 18:10.
SR-71 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 19:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
In Goa, the new Manohar international airport at Mopa is 109 kms from Canacona, South Goa.

So, a passenger from Canacona in South Goa will take 3 hours to travel to Mopa airport and Taxi fares start at Rs. 4,000 and upwards.

Technically a person would have travelled almost the entire length of Goa to reach Mopa from Canacona. The total distance from entering Goa from Karnataka in South & exiting Goa to Maharashtra in North is around 137 kms of NH66.
That's exactly my point. Someone in Canacona has the 'choice' to take a domestic flight from Panjim since both the airports are operational. We can have a similar setup with HAL instead of a new green field airport.

Last edited by m8002? : 6th July 2024 at 19:38.
m8002? is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 20:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
That's exactly my point. Someone in Canacona has the 'choice' to take a domestic flight from Panjim since both the airports are operational. We can have a similar setup with HAL instead of a new green field airport.
Anna, you must be referring Dabolim international airport at Vasco, South Goa. I stay 2 km away from Dabolim airport (I see the landing and takeoff from my bedroom window and watching those aircrafts is a favourite pastime).

Fun fact: Panaji, the capital of Goa doesn't have an airport, railway station or a Harbour/ port. Vasco Da Gama, a South Goa City of 1 Lakh population and coming under Mormugao taluk boasts of a major Harbor, an international airport and a prominent railway station. Vasco Da Gama is around 30 Kms from Capital, Panaji.

The Dabolim international airport in Mormugao taluk in South Goa is a military airport and there are several restrictions. The restrictions are time related as Indian Navy uses Dabolim airport for their practice/ training and thus, the civil domestic/international flights are time restricted. For example, some time of the day, say, the mornings are reserved for military, so civil domestic/ international movements are totally restricted.

There are other space limitations of aeroplane hangars, maintenance facilities etc as there's limited space and those concerns are addressed in New Mopa International airport

I have also noticed that not many carriers fly from Dabolim airport now. Only Indigo flights continue to fly from Dabolim, but many other carriers have ceased their operations. And add to that Indigo charges a premium for Dabolim against Mopa to offset the Taxi fare & time delay.. it's still quite complex.

I manage as I stay just next to Dabolim airport ( you can say walkable distance of a km or two) and the tourists who have their reservation in South Goa find it convenient, but many of the carriers don't fly to Dabolim and the tickets come at a premium.

As a resident of Goa, I am fine as Indigo flies to many destinations and I am covered as I have never used Mopa. But for a tourist, it's another money pit ( both money and time wise) if their resort / booking is in South Goa.

Last edited by ashkamath : 6th July 2024 at 20:51.
ashkamath is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 21:27   #20
BHPian

TN CM has already announced an international airport at Hosur just about a week ago. Wouldn't it render the entire discussion of this thread void?

Quote:
“I am pleased to announce in this House that an international airport will be set up on 2,000 acres of land in Hosur, capable of handling 30 million passengers per annum,” the chief minister said, as he made the announcement under rule 110 in the Assembly.
https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...513452768.html

Last edited by darklord : 6th July 2024 at 21:29.
darklord is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 21:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
TN CM has already announced an international airport at Hosur. Wouldn't it render the entire discussion of this thread void?

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...513452768.html
That's TN govt agenda. KA govt has its own agenda and that's what I guess is the motive of this thread. Obviously we know why the politicians want airport in their favorite areas even if it means making weird statements without any detailed study.
Old 6th July 2024, 21:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
TN CM has already announced an international airport at Hosur just about a week ago. Wouldn't it render the entire discussion of this thread void?
An airport is less about an airport and more about political statement, a business / a political agenda/ a money minting machine. Tons of money are made in such projects by the political class.

In Goa, when Mopa, a village on the Maharashtra/Goa North
border was chosen for an international airport most Goans knew that this was a sham and it's all bout money, real estate, business and less (Zero) about the people.

Anyways I don't want to open a Pandora's box. The political rich and mighty will eventually prevail anyway. I will leave it here and I am sure a discerning member would catch the drift.

Last edited by ashkamath : 6th July 2024 at 21:54.
ashkamath is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 23:34   #23
BHPian

There's no need for another international airport. Move some of the domestic operations to existing HAL and Hosur airports. Saves tons of time and money for everyone.
But then politicians cannot digest solutions that will not make them richer..
Old 6th July 2024, 23:38   #24
BHPian

Not sure how people can vote on location for a new airport without looking at footfall origin of the current airport or the master-plan for next 20 odd years for Bengaluru.

As an example, look at this. Is this master plan 2031 for real? It talks very generically, with no current/projected data, no detailed maps, no land-use intent, no transportation plan - where are the projected metro/roads/airport/bus/cycle/auto corridors?

Is this the preparedness for the future of one of the fastest growing cities in the country? No wonder then that we can see for ourselves that even a pretense to planning has been given up here.

Forget about real planning for an airport, we can't even expect a decent road in most localities.

If Hosur gets its act together and starts building an airport, then a third airport elsewhere will become unviable. At least good old competition will deliver what apathetic administration can't.
dust-n-bones is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 10:04   #25
BHPian

All these announcements be it second Bengaluru airport or Hosur airport have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

The TN government announcing Hosur airport seems more of a reaction when the discussion of second airport in Bengaluru was announced, or was it vice versa I am not sure, but both seem politically connected.

Bengaluru recently made the T2 operational and expansion of both T1 and T2 has not even begun yet, I am sure they must be having ample capacity to multiply the traffic load which can cater for some decades easily.

If you see Delhi airport a mega Terminal 3 came up in 2010 close by, and then again the T2 was revamped and enhanced in 2017 and now T1 is being worked upon. Still there is so much of capacity left which can again feed for many decades.

Now coming to the point of second airport I believe its better to have more connectivity to the current one which is far from the city. No matter which direction you make a new airport the central Bengaluru will always have to criss cross the whole city limits to get to the airport. RRTS or Circular train connecting fast to the airport not bogged by traffic would be great. Expressways like Peripheral Ring Road or STRR also sound good but they too will face traffic bottlenecks sooner or later.

Finally if at all a location is to be selected, practical way would be the have it opposite to the current one. No point in having both airports in North or around, ideally making the South Bengaluru the best position, it can be south, south east or south west. To name these places it can be anywhere close to Ramnagara/Kengeri, Anekal, Attibele, Sarjapura.

Last edited by xway : 7th July 2024 at 10:06. Reason: prr added
xway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 11:30   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We can have a similar setup with HAL instead of a new green field airport.
Anyone who remembers the HAL airport road prior to 2008 will remember the mess it had become. I know that road since 1988 as I lived in HAL area during my college days, and my brother still lives there. That road simply cannot take the load of even a low-capacity airport traffic. Please, banish the thought.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 14:39   #27
BHPian

May be it can serve flights within Karnataka only. Imagine going on a 2 to 3 hour taxi ride to BIAL just to catch a 45 min flight to Hubli, Mangalore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Anyone who remembers the HAL airport road prior to 2008 will remember the mess it had become. I know that road since 1988 as I lived in HAL area during my college days, and my brother still lives there. That road simply cannot take the load of even a low-capacity airport traffic. Please, banish the thought.
Gotcha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 15:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That road simply cannot take the load of even a low-capacity airport traffic. Please, banish the thought.
Adding 10k/day traffic on that road is not much at all. Provide buses from nearby metro stations on either side of airport and it'll become choicest airport. Current airport is a torture for most people and also very expensive (UDF + commute fare). Only reason HAL isn't open is to benefit BIAL.
gnome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 09:39   #29
BHPian

I always thought an airport somewhere between Bangalore and Mysore, (more closer to Bangalore) with excellent high speed rail and road connectivity to both cities would serve both cities well for international flights. The Bangalore Mysore corridor would also develop industrially.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 09:45   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Do we need another airport? I thought KIAL was doing a lot of things to accommodate additional capacity, second terminal, additional runway, etc.

Is this just an announcement to drive up land prices in certain parts of the outskirts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
I have also noticed that not many carriers fly from Dabolim airport now. Only Indigo flights continue to fly from Dabolim, but many other carriers have ceased their operations.
Am pretty sure Dabolim will, sooner or later, close for civilian flights. The government is just prolonging it so there are no protests from South Goa. But I see this as inevitable, even Indigo will stop and then the Goa government can say it's not their decision but the flight operators.

Last edited by am1m : 8th July 2024 at 09:47.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks