Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2024, 11:22   #16
BHPian

Re: Tram-like electric buses to be introduced in India soon

If its possible to charge these powertrains wirelessly in a minute, it comes to about ~1.6% per sec. Can't they just use the same concept on regular EV busses with overhead charging infra at each bus stop that can keep topping up the busses as they halt in each stopping?
As each bus stops, it logs into the bus stop with its RFID tag that notifies the stop's charging infra to start the charging process.
It should be doable to initiate a logoff system that notifies the charger to stop charging as the driver engages the drive mode to leave the stop.
Maybe I'm oversimplifying it
Venkatesh.C is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 12:39   #17
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
BRTS in Visakhapatnam was a disaster.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visakh...Transit_System
⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠We recommended this idea to the TN government specifically for the OMR stretch from Madhya Kailash Junction to Siruseri in collaboration with ITDP. Regrettably, the proposal was not embraced. BRTS offers a simple implementation advantage, but it is essential to use double-decker buses for it to be effective.
RGK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 20:26   #18
BHPian

There is another kind of electric tram bus, with pantograph but with regular tyres.

Tram-like electric buses to be introduced in India soon-vancouver_e40lfr_trolleybus_2214.jpg
Electric bus in Vancouver

Tram-like electric buses to be introduced in India soon-teplice_beneovo_nm283st_trolejbus.jpg
Electric bus in Europe

These kind of electric buses require overhead wires in designated routes. When those overhead wire are not there, it can drive on petrol / diesel. Since they have regular tyres, there is no need to lay tracks.

It is mammoth task to install overhead wires on all routes and maintain them.

Optimistic that government will opt for more environment friendly battery operated buses.
dgindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 20:42   #19
BHPian

I wish first he builds the ring road of Pune, the second largest city of Maharashtra before investing in next generation mass transit systems as bad state of traffic in Pune consumes much more fuel, is bottleneck on major highway connecting North west India to South leading to emission of much more greenhouse gases in environment.

It’s not political post I don’t like his dictatorial policy on ethanol mixing without any impact assessment on citizens , neglecting few cities road infrastructure while promoting and wasting funds on others. It’s shame.
FiatDiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 05:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I'm guessing here but perhaps articulated buses like this works out to be significantly cheaper in the long run?
Will be cheaper for sure, operating a single articulated bus and way cheaper compared to the cost of building and running a Metro. The advantage a Metro will have is the ability to move a few hundred people on one service versus maybe a 100 tops on a articulated bus. I mean, there are pros and cons to each.

The problem is our road infrastructure within the city can't deal with the size and length of these articulated buses. Bangalore had these Leylands and they would ply only on Ring Road mostly. I don't think BMTC will dare try running these today.

What can also save costs is a automated ticketing system. Provide a pre paid Smart card like our Metro services and automate the Swipe in and Out process. No more haggling with the conductor for change.

They need to test these buses within the City. Not run trials on Ring Roads. That seems more a test for range than any other real purpose.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2024, 23:37   #21
BHPian

The initiative does sound really good on paper. But, it's going to be really difficult to implement unless they build dedicated busways( inaccessible to cars, bikes etc.) like the ones in Adelaide owing to the lack of driving etiquette among the people.
Old 11th August 2024, 07:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think no road based mass transport system from Western society can be adopted and expected to succeed in India. We simply aren't disciplined enough. The only hope is for well planned metro train systems.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks