Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2024, 19:01   #1
BHPian

Indian Airlines has had 8 Boeing 737 Hull Losses!

A recent Facebook post on the arrival of the first Boeing 737 of Indian Airlines in 1970 is the trigger for this post. The Boeing 737 was a workhorse for the airline. It owned 30 of them at various stages in the period 1970-2000 and briefly leased another 6 during the late 1980s. The dozen or so Boeing 737s still in service were transferred in the late 1990s to Alliance Air.

However the service record of the Boeing 737s with Indian Airlines was not great. Of the 30 aircraft it owned, as many as 8 were "hull losses" - aircraft damaged beyond repair or destroyed. This included one aircraft which was destroyed in an accident after it was transferred to Alliance Air.

Now 8 aircraft written off out of 30 is not a small number. To keep it in perspective, out of the 49 Airbus A320s the airline operated at various times till its merger with Air India, there was only one hull loss.

I work in aviation but in commercial. However I have followed aviation safety issues from my teenage days and track aircraft accidents and incidents. A little research on these 8 hull losses brought out the fact that as many as 6 were due to pilot error. One was attributed to an equipment malfunction and the last one was due to an explosion while on flight.

I will be listing out the 8 hull losses in chronological order with the description of the accident as given in the Aviation Safety Network website, a leading source of accident data.

Indian Airlines has had 8 Boeing 737 Hull Losses!-indian_airlines_boeing_7372a8_vteah.jpg
Image courtesy: Christian Volpati (GFDL 1.2 <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/fdl-1.2.html> or GFDL 1.2 <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/fdl-1.2.html>), via Wikimedia Commons

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th June 2024 at 11:08. Reason: Spacing & formatting
TKMCE is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 19:14   #2
BHPian

re: Indian Airlines has had 8 Boeing 737 Hull Losses!

1) 31 May 1973 at Delhi

Narrative: The Boeing 737 named "Saranga" collided with high tension wires during an NDB instrument approach, crashed and caught fire. The visibility was below minima, but the pilot continued the approach, descended below minimum descent altitude and selected 40deg. flaps without sighting the runway.

2) 17 December 1978 at Hyderabad

Narrative: The Indian Airlines aircraft lifted off from runway 09, but the leading edge devices did not deploy and as a result the aircraft became aerodynamically unstable. The takeoff was aborted and the aircraft was flared for a belly landing with undercarriage retracted. The aircraft belly-landed in nose up, left wing low attitude, on the centre line of the runway. It slid for 3080 feet, hit a boundary fence, crossed a drain and ploughed in rough terrain negotiating with small boulders and came to rest. Fire broke out on impact. The aircraft was completely destroyed by fire. Three persons cutting grass near the boundary fence of the airport were killed.

Probable cause: Non-availability of leading edge devices immediately after rotation during take-off.

3) 26 April 1979 at Chennai

Narrative: On its way from Trivandrum to Madras, the aircraft was cleared to descent from FL270. Shortly afterwards an explosion took place in the forward lavatory, causing a complete instrument and electrical failure.

The Boeing had to make a flapless landing at Madras (now Chennai). The aircraft touched down 2500 feet past the runway 25 threshold and overran. The right side of the plane caught fire.

Probable cause: "Detonation of an explosive device in the forward lavatory of the aircraft. The aircraft overshot the runway due to high speed of touchdown, non-availability of reverse thrust and anti-skid system due to systems failure consequent on explosion."

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th June 2024 at 11:12. Reason: Spacing & formatting
TKMCE is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 19:21   #3
BHPian

4) 19 October 1988 at Ahmedabad

Narrative: The Boeing 737-2A8 was operating Indian Airlines flight 113 from Bombay (now known as Mumbai) to Ahmedabad, India. At 06:41 hours, while the aircraft was descending to FL55, the flight was instructed to report over the Ahmedabad VOR. Visibility was reported being 2000m in haze with calm winds and a QNH of 1010 mb. The flight crew reported overhead the VOR and prepared for a localizer-DME approach to runway 23. Last radio contact with the flight was at 06:50. It struck trees and a high-tension pylon before crashing into a paddy field, bursting into flames.

Probable cause: "Error on the part of pilot-in-command as well as co-pilot due to non adherence to laid down procedures under poor visibility conditions."

5) 16 August 1991 at Imphal

Narrative: Indian Airlines flight 257 departed Calcutta at 11:54 on a scheduled 60-minute flight to Imphal, India.
The crew contacted Imphal at 12:34. The flight was cleared to descent to from FL290 to 10,000 feet and asked to report overhead the VOR for ILS runway 04.

At 12:39 the crew reported 12 miles inbound at 10,000 feet. The pilot then asked the air traffic controller as to whether they could set course directly outbound for let down. This was approved. Two minutes later the flight reported approaching overhead the VOR, although it was still 14 miles out. The controller then queried: "understand you are proceeding on a radial 217 for ILS". This was confirmed by the crew.

At 12:42 Imphal ATC cleared the flight to proceed outbound for an ILS approach to runway 04 descending to 5,000 feet. At 12:44 the flight reported commencing the procedure turn. This was the last contact with the flight.

The airplane impacted Thangjing Hill, in inclement weather conditions with low clouds and occasional rain.

Probable cause: "The accident occurred by reason of a grave error on the part of the Pilot-in-Command in not adhering to the operational flight plan and ILS let down chart and not realizing that his early descent to 10,000 feet and turning right for outbound leg without reporting overhead VOR would result in loss of time reference and as such misplace him in the hilly terrain. The Pilot-in-Command's action may have been influenced by his extreme familiarity with the terrain".

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th June 2024 at 11:13. Reason: Spacing & formatting
TKMCE is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 19:26   #4
BHPian

6) 26 April 1993 at Aurangabad

Narrative: Boeing 737 VT-ECQ was operating flight 491 from Delhi to Bombay with enroute stops at Jaipur, Udaipur and Aurangabad. The heavily laden aircraft started its takeoff roll from Aurangabad's runway 09 (which is approx 7500 feet long) in high temperatures (38-41deg C). After lifting off almost at the end of the runway, it impacted heavily with a lorry carrying pressed cotton bales on a highway at a distance of about 410 feet from the end of runway. The left main landing gear, left engine bottom cowling and thrust reverser impacted the left side of the truck at a height of nearly seven feet from the level of the road. Thereafter the aircraft hit the high tension electric wires nearly 3 km North-East of the runway and hit the ground.

Probable cause: "(i) Pilots' error in initiating late rotation and following wrong rotation technique, and (ii) failure of the NAA to regulate the mobile traffic on the Beed road during the flight hours".

7) 2 December 1995 at Delhi

Narrative: Indian Airlines Boeing 737 aircraft VT-ECS was operating flight IC-492 from Mumbai (Bombay) to Delhi via Jaipur. Following an unstabilized approach, the plane touched down some 2000 feet before the end of the runway. The aircraft could not be stopped on the remaining runway length and went beyond the runway into kutcha ground. Both engines, undercarriage and the wings sustained major damage.

Probable cause: "The accident was caused by the combined effect of (a) The injudicious and imprudent decision of the Pilot-in-Command to hastily complete the flight in the inadequate time available before the notified closure of Delhi airport for a VVIP flight, (b) The dangerously unstabilised approach made by the Pilot-in-Command, primarily due to his failure to decelerate the aircraft in time, (c) The failure of the First Officer to call out significant deviations from the stipulated approach parameters, (d) The failure of the Pilot-in-Command to carry out a missed approach in spite of his approach being grossly unstabilised, (e) The inadvertent omission of the Pilot-in-Command to arm the speed brake before landing, (f) Touch-down of the aircraft at excessive speed and too far down the runway, (g) Failure of the First Officer and Pilot-in-Command to monitor the automatic deployment of the speed brake, and failure of the Pilot-in-Command to deploy it manually, (h) Impact of the aircraft with an 18-inch high cement-concrete cable duct in the kutcha ground beyond the over-run area".

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th June 2024 at 11:14. Reason: Spacing & formatting
TKMCE is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 19:30   #5
BHPian

And finally, the Alliance Air 737 accident at Patna. The aircraft was earlier operated by Indian Airlines.

8) 17 July 2000 at Patna

Narrative: Flight 7412 departed Calcutta 21 minutes late, at 06:51, for a flight to Patna, Lucknow and Delhi. The crew had been cleared to land at runway 25 when they requested a 360-degree orbit because they were high on the approach. Permission was granted and a left turn was initiated. During the left turn, the aircraft stalled. The plane then grazed a few single-storied houses in a government residential housing estate at Aneeshabad and exploded into a ball of fire. The aircraft broke into four pieces. The accident site is located about 2 km southwest of the Patna Airport.

Weather reported at 07:30 included temperature 30deg C (86 F), dewpoint 27deg C (80 F); 997 mB; wind calm, haze, 4000 m visibility. The aircraft in question, VT-EGD, had been involved in an accident 14 years ago. On January 15, 1986, the pilot of flight 529 attempted to land at Tiruchirapalli in conditions below weather minima. During a go-around the wing contacted the runway due to an excessive bank angle. The wing was substantially damaged, but there were no injuries among the 6 crew and 122 passengers.

Probable cause: "The cause of the accident was loss of control of the aircraft due Human Error (air crew). The crew had not followed the correct approach procedure, which resulted in the aircraft being high on approach. They had kept the engines at idle thrust and allowed the air speed to reduce to a lower than normally permissible value on approach. They then maneuvered the aircraft with high pitch attitude and executed rapid roll reversals. This resulted in actuation of the stick shaker stall warning indicating an approaching stall. At this stage, the crew initiated a Go Around procedure instead of Approach to Stall Recovery procedure resulting in an actual stall of the aircraft, loss of control and subsequent impact with the ground."

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th June 2024 at 11:14. Reason: Spacing & formatting
TKMCE is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 20:44   #6
BHPian

Of the above accidents, the full investigation reports of the ones at Aurangabad, Imphal and Patna are available in the public domain at the DGCA website although in the case of the first two , they were uploaded only a few years back. The Aurangabad one was particularly shocking. There was negligence everywhere including by the ground staff and the full report points it out.

In conclusion have we learned from these accidents? Aviation in India is safer than in many countries but facilities and equipment in many of the smaller airfields still leave much to be desired. Also many of the recommendations of the enquiry committees are not actioned on time. After the first Air India Express accident at Mangalore, the enquiry had come down heavily on the organizational culture in the airline, yet 10 years down the line nothing much had happened by the time the second accident happened at Calicut. And with Indian aviation growing by leaps and outbounds, we cannot afford to be lethargic.
TKMCE is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 06:13   #7
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 08:18   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Indian Airlines Boeing 737 Hull Loses

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
4, 19 October 1988 at Ahmedabad
VT-EAH
https://simpleflying.com/indian-airl...tered%20VT-EAH.

Thank you TKMCE for this thread.

Cannot help but share an anecdote on this crash in Ahmedabad in 1988. A member of my team, let's call her S____ was a young newly married lady. She was booked on this flight on 19th October 1988, Mumbai to Ahmedabad. These were days before internet and instant communication.

Sometime in the forenoon we learnt through the grapevine that the Indian Airline flight to Ahmedabad had crashed with high fatalities. In those days Govt organizations were not very concerned of proper and timely dissemination of information. After a few frantic phone calls {land line, rotary dials} I drove down to this employee's home to inform the family - like most of us they did not have a landline. And to my utter shock she answered the doorbell!!! Apparently, her husband fell very ill in the middle of the night with appendicitis, and she cancelled her trip but, without a phone, she could not inform the office. She had no idea till I informed her about her close shave with death. She sure married right.

Indian Airlines + weak DGCA + Govt's chalta hai attitude led to this more than normal crash record with an aircraft {737-200} which otherwise had a sterling track record. Similarly Indian Airlines procured I think 8 or 9 Caravelle airliners in the 1960s of which 3 were lost to fatal crashes.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 26th June 2024 at 08:26.
V.Narayan is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 09:34   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Indian Airlines has had 8 Boeing 737 Hull Losses!

Thanks for the compilation! Gave a good overview of the various crashes of IA.

Now that I think, 8 crashes of B737 and 1 crash of A320- Total 9. Not to mention the AI Express crashes at Mangalore and Kozhikode, total is 11. Does AI/IA hold the crown for maximum crashes per airline in the world?
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 10:15   #10
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the compilation!

Quote:
6) 26 April 1993 at Aurangabad
The accident site had become sort of a tourist attraction back then, esp. being right on the Aurangabad - Jalna highway. Having been a regular visitor to Aurangabad growing up, we'd visited the site a week or so after the crash, to find quite a few remnants of the aircraft still there.

We could spot several important pieces such as the landing gear, flaps and general parts of the fuselage scattered over a km or so of debris field, along with the burnt truck and whatever cotton survived the accident. It was quite a sight; I'd never seen an aircraft before, and the first time I saw one was in a million pieces!

The debris remained for several months before it was finally cleared.
libranof1987 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 10:17   #11
BHPian

Re: The Indian Airlines Boeing 737 Hull Loses

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Cannot help but share an anecdote on this crash in Ahmedabad in 1988.

Indian Airlines + weak DGCA + Govt's chalta hai attitude led to this more than normal crash record with an aircraft {737-200} which otherwise had a sterling track record. Similarly Indian Airlines procured I think 8 or 9 Caravelle airliners in the 1960s of which 3 were lost to fatal crashes.

I have very vivid memories of this accident which will never go off.

The day of this accident I was travelling with my mother to her home town in Kerala, a journey of a few hours. The bus was at 5 AM and just before boarding I picked up a copy of the India Today magazine. While reading the magazine, I came across an article about Indian Airlines being a hazard to their passengers. Infact you might be interested to read the headlines of that story by their correspondent Ramindar Singh (the issue is still available online).

Quote:
Indian Airlines flights become a definite health hazard
Air travel was once considered a quick, efficient, and luxurious way to go reach your destination. But Indian Airlines' flights have become a definite health hazard, as shoddy service, interminable delays, and "chalta hai" attitude send passengers' blood pressure shooting up.

Unknown to me while i was reading this story, the accident was happening at Ahmedabad.

A few hours later I returned home. My father told me that the flight had crashed. It was also the day of an India Pakistan match at Sharjah. DD was telecasting the match and at one point they were having a newsbreak and giving the passenger and crew list.

The news story (link below) basically reinforces what you are saying.
https://www.indiatoday.in/magazine/s...841-1988-10-30

A few passengers survived the initial crash including one person from my hometown. Finally, all except two passengers later succumbed to their injuries.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th June 2024 at 11:19. Reason: Typos corrected. Please proof-read posts before submitting :)
TKMCE is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 10:20   #12
BHPian

Thanks for the compilation, I am a frequent flyer here domestically and previously never bothered to check which aircraft was intended to be used... but, now with all the safety issues reported I am trying to avoid some of the older planes. BTW, I used to work in Commercial aerospace as well.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 10:39   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Aviation in India is safer than in many countries but facilities and equipment in many of the smaller airfields still leave much to be desired.
Thanks for sharing. I had no idea. I agree aviation facilities and equipment could be better. But what these accidents show in particular is poor airman ship.

That could be due to poor training and or poor attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Thanks for the compilation, I am a frequent flyer here domestically and previously never bothered to check which aircraft was intended to be used... but, now with all the safety issues reported I am trying to avoid some of the older planes. BTW, I used to work in Commercial aerospace as well.
Nothing wrong with old planes as long as they are well maintained. As these accidents show you want to worry about the competence of the crew!

Aviation is incredibly safe these days. Note that the last accident here is almost 25 years ago.

I have written about this in our other aviation threads several times. The most common problem with pilots, in particular in the past is poor attitude towards safety and airman ship.

Jeroen

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th June 2024 at 20:00. Reason: Typo
Jeroen is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 12:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The accident site had become sort of a tourist attraction back then, esp. being right on the Aurangabad - Jalna highway. Having been a regular visitor to Aurangabad growing up, we'd visited the site a week or so after the crash, to find quite a few remnants of the aircraft still there.
In this case the summary does not give the entire picture. The final report which was uploaded in public domain only a few years back gives the full story.

Aircraft was most probably overloaded to some extent, there was a payload restriction as with the then available runway length at Aurangabad you could not take off with a full load of passengers, there was pressure on the captain to accept more passengers than ideal, especially a senior captain and his family, and the flight crew were uneasy with what was happening as seen in the CVR transcript.

If the lorry with those cotton bales piled high was not passing by, they would have still climbed away to safety. Interestingly the old Kochi airport (the Naval Air Station) had similar barriers where the road traffic was stopped when there was a aircraft landing or takeoff.

The full accident report is available in DGCA website and worth reading.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th June 2024 at 23:31. Reason: Shortening quoted post a bit :)
TKMCE is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 14:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

From what I remember, the B737-200 was a solid little bird, very little wing-flex during turbulence, not the most comfortable plane for anything more than 2 hours, but looked like it could take abuse. Kind of like the Polo/Punto of the skies. Those PW JT8s screamed like hell, especially when deploying the unique clamshell reverse thrust.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 26th June 2024 at 14:17.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks