Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2024, 12:42   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?

Introduction

This is a review cum travelog of my back to back journeys by two Vande Bharat Expresses on the same day - first by a white and the second by an orange.

What's in store for readers?

1. Few visible differences between the white and orange Vande Bharat Expresses
2. Pictures of the landscape enroute, many of them rare and exciting
3. Other small yet significant details around the trains, some stations

Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbo_exterior.jpg

Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbo_exterior2.jpg

Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbw_exterior1.jpg

Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-train2trainview_ghat.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 28th April 2024 at 15:16.
vigsom is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 13:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?

Why back to back Vande Bharat Expresses?

I had to travel from Solpaur in MH to Surat in GJ and saw no direct trains on my day of travel - even if there were, accommodation was always a challenge. Although it involved a changeover in Mumbai, and some waiting time, taking two Vande Bharat Expresses back to back made sense due to the overall lowest travel time.

Trip Info

- Travel time: 10 on 10
a. Solapur to Dadar by a White Vande Bharat Express approx. 450 kms in 6 hours 15 minutes
b. Mumbai Central to Surat by a 2024 newly launched orange Vande Bharat Express 263kms in 2 hours 50 mins

- Comfort and Cleanliness: 9 on 10

- Food and bev on board: 8 on 10

- On time performance: 9.5 on 10

What could be improved on board

1. Too many pre-recorded announcements other than arrival info eg. welcoming passengers, giving info on chargeability of food and bev if not pre-booked was quite irritating. It is better to limit announcements just to the next arriving station
2. Some design is made impractical and then corrected eg. bottle holders, charging points and then corrected. They should have been right the first time
3. Food and bev options are carb heavy and more importantly sugar heavy - high time healthy options are introduced. The only nice options are digestive biscuits, black coffee and poha/upma

Last edited by vigsom : 28th April 2024 at 15:56.
vigsom is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 13:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Key differences between the white Vande Bharat Express(VBW) and the orange Vande Bharat Express (VBO)

There is limited information available in pictures on this subject on the net, and through these two journeys, I have tried to capture some observations that own could spot easily. The side by side pics feature the white to the left and the orange to the right

Charging points - the deep charging points in the white VBE vs the little easier accessible points in the VBO
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbwvsvbo_chargingpoints.jpg

Fire extinguishers - open in VBW vs behind a polycarbonate cover in VBO
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbwvsvbo_fireextinguishers.jpg

Washbasins - clearly better in the VBO
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbwvsvbo_washbasins1.jpg

The bombing area - looks brighter and better illuminated in the VBO. Also, the aerosol fire extinguisher in the washroom felt bigger
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbwvsvbo_wc.jpg

Seatback - VBW v1.0 versus VBO - note the placement of the bottle holders. In the VBW, it is placed under the seat on the side
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbwvsvbo_seatback.jpg

Seats - VBW v1.0 versus VBO - also note that the VBO seats have a leather headrest which, hopefully will keep the top part of the seats in better shape for longer. I also found the newer VBs sport better fabric than the 2022 edition
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbwvsvbo_seatsrecline.jpg

Seatback - VBW v1.0 Solapur Mumbai2023 versus VBO Mumbai Ahmedabad 2024 vs VBW v0 MysuruChennai2022 - I found the 2022 seatback to be the best looking overall
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbwv1.0vsvbovsvbwv0.jpg

Seat recline - did not notice much of a difference over the 2022 Vande Bharat Exp. The latest editions seatbacks go almost upright making the recline angle seem rather low
Click image for larger version

Name:	VBWvsVBO_SeatsRecline.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	674.2 KB
ID:	2599981

Sunblinds in similar light conditions- VBO was better
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbwvsvbo_sunblinds.jpg

Top panels inside - no difference noted
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbwvsvbo_toppanels.jpg

Side FRP panels - no difference noted
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbwvsvbo_panels.jpg

Small yet significant - the exterior
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbwvsvbo_exterior.jpg

Small yet significant - the curved washroom handles in VBO help when the train faces sudden sideways movement
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbwvsvbo_washroomdoors1.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 28th April 2024 at 16:02.
vigsom is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 14:42   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Key differences between VBW and VBO (Contd.) plus some additions

Lobby - note the green coloured door in the VBW against beige on the VBO
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbwvsvbo_lobby.jpg

Talk back Unit - the black border is gone on the VBO
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbwvsvbo_talkbackunit.jpg

Additional fire extinguisher in the VBO visible right at the entry door
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbo_addnlfireextinguisher.jpg

Although not related to the train, one needs to be mindful of such gaps at some points on some platforms
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-bogie_platformgap.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 28th April 2024 at 16:04.
vigsom is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 15:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The travelogue

From the review, let's move on to some sights that I captured enroute.

Entering Kurduwadi Jn. approx. 1 hour from Solapur
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbw_kurduwadi1.jpg

Getting off a train at Kurduwadi Jn. after 28 years
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbw_kurduwadi2.jpg

Breakfast in the Exec Chair Car - the thepla and curd be better reserved for a brunch because nothing is served after breakfast
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbw_ec_breakfast.jpg

Washimbe - look at how the station has been beautified
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-washimbe2.jpg

Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-washimbe.jpg

Sights of MIT University
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-mitpune.jpg

Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-mitpune2.jpg

Indrayani river running parallel to the track at Kamshet
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-kamshet_indrayaniriver.jpg

Random tunnel on Bhor Ghat
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-randomtunnel.jpg

View of the valley between Khandala and Karjat
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-valleyview1.jpg

Vande Bharat Express curving into a tunnel
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-vbw_snakingintotunnel.jpg

View of another train moving up to Khandala. Note the banker loco. Capturing such sights on the go provide that childish excitement
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-train2trainview_ghat.jpg

Beautiful looking foot overbridge at Mumbai Central
Train Review: Orange Vs White Vande Bharat Express | What's Changed?-mumbaicentral_fob.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 28th April 2024 at 15:22.
vigsom is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 15:10   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Summing it up

The orange Vande Bharat Express is a train whose looks will grow on you. Immediately after experiencing a white, looking at an orange and grey might look dull, but the great thing is the blackened windows blend really well into the overall colour theme. Like an orange car vs a white car - looks and likes are subjective. The seats on the orange offer better comfort, fabric is likely to last longer, there is more safety equipment on board and a slight improvement in visual appeal inside. The basic formula is the same, with some more kick!

Last edited by vigsom : 28th April 2024 at 15:27.
vigsom is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 17:02   #7
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 17:37   #8
BHPian

Wow ! some very cool observations there which most of travelling junta would not even notice. The railways have definitely put some thought when they introduced the upgraded VB.

However, the maintenance of these trains by the zonal railways seems to be the Achilles heel. In one of the photos above of the White VB the toilet roof panel seems to be broken and I am assuming this is the executive CC coach. It seems that the staff at these zonal workshops and maintenance shops care 2 hoots about the premium trains OR are plainly under too much work pressure to get the train back on track.

Something which I have observed in the last 3-4 months is that the WR has left their once premium train the 12009/12010 to the mercy of the elements. After the VBs were introduced they simply stopped putting attention to the Shatabdi rake which now proudly flaunts broken seats, broken curtains, broken doors everywhere. (we stopped complaining about the broken footrests years ago )The VB is surely the new chick on the block. I hope this Shatabdi rake is also upgraded to VB standards. I frequently travel to Bharuch and since both the WR VBs do not have halt at Bharuch despite being a huge industrial hub and a port, we are forced to take the creaking Shatabdi which saunters along with a lousy rake.

So much for rail upgradation in this country !

Regards
Diesel

P.S : Don't take me as a armchair critic, I was once an ardent railfan, let down by the poor standards and no upkeep by our dear railways.

Last edited by Dieseltuned : 28th April 2024 at 17:39.
Dieseltuned is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th April 2024, 11:26   #9
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post

I hope this Shatabdi rake is also upgraded to VB standards.
During the budget announcement this year. It was announced existing rakes shall be upgraded to VB standards
Link - https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../107667182.cms
TheStoryweaver is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 29th April 2024, 12:09   #10
BANNED

Awesome thanks for the amazing and detailed post.
Although I have dropped my parents twice for I believe VB Orange (Indore to Bhopal and back) but have not travelled myself yet.
Looking forward to do Bhopal Delhi and back as we need to give experience of the same to my kiddo before she grows up too old to go on her own
I want to take her in Shatabdi too once.
This will certainly help big time in our upcoming journey.
Rohitthebest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2024, 14:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Really enjoyed this thread vigsom! I've not had much chance to sample these trains but have been curious about them since their introduction. Good to see such a thorough documentation of key differences and similarities between the white and the orange. Almost felt like a Team BHP review!

This might be a silly question that's already been answered, but what's the difference between the two colourways? Is the orange just the V2 of the Vande Bharat trainsets?

It's interesting to see that in 2 years there's already been iterative improvements and changes being made. That feels like a fairly rapid turnaround in terms of evolving the offering. Similarly was a bit disheartening to see the bathroom photo for the white VB already showing some signs of wear and tear as noted by another poster above. I suppose given the volume of traffic and our conditions it's inevitable to have increased wear and tear, so maybe it's not as bad as you'd think for 2 years of service. Then again those who are more familiar with IR could confirm if the latter is true or not.
ads11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 09:00   #12
BHPian

Attention to detail is evident in this thread and a lovely thread as always Sir! Those subtle differences actually make the journey a lot more comfortable and the common folk won't even bother noticing such details. VBs have changed the way IR used to be(most of the stations are spick and span) and IR is definitely changing the perspective of rail travel unlike the early 2000s. I'm eagerly awaiting for thr VB sleeper too. That will definitely reduce dependency on air travel.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 10:51   #13

Thanks Vigsom for this quite informative post.

One quick question - does the VB train have a luggage rack to keep big suitcases?

My understanding is that the VB trains (both orange and white) do not have these luggage racks and hence we cannot travel with big suitcases (airline check-in dimension suitcases).
Old 30th April 2024, 14:15   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank You all for your comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
WR has left their once premium train the 12009/12010 to the mercy of the elements - Shatabdi rake which now proudly flaunts broken seats, broken curtains, broken doors everywhere
I take this train almost every other month and agree with what you've mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
Is the orange just the V2 of the Vande Bharat trainsets?
Yes. A few changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbnissan View Post
One quick question - does the VB train have a luggage rack to keep big suitcases
Yes. The overhead racks can easily take the 29 inchers; just that one must be strong enough to hoist the suitcases up there and place 'em in landscape mode.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 01:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Yes. A few changes.
Are the VB trainsets going to be orange from now on? Kinda liked the clean white with blue accents of the original. Though I suppose it's harder work maintaining a white livery.

Just had a thought, not sure what material the body work is made of but unpainted, polished and treated metal would be pretty cool. Would hark back to the 50s with aircraft (military and civilian), Airstream trailers, and vehicles rocked that shiny metal with minimal paintwork. I guess the Cybertruck has brought that look back into the zeitgeist in a sense.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks