Akasa Air 10 2.04%
Other 4 0.82%
Voters: 490. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2024, 18:25   #1
Team-BHP Support

Your preferred Airline Carrier in India & Why

Your preferred Airline Carrier in India & Why

About 4 decades ago, we used to have just a handful of airline carriers in India. However, since the 1990s, many players entered the fray. Sadly not all have survived. Many have declared bankruptcy - the latest being the Wadia Group-owned Go First.

At present, the skies are dominated by two players - InterGlobe Aviation Limited and the Tata Group. While the former operates IndiGo, the latter runs Air India, Air India Express and Vistara (a joint venture with Singapore Airlines). In 2023, the two groups had a combined domestic market share of 81.3% with IndiGo ferrying 56.2% of the country’s passengers and the Tata Group flying 25.1%.

Your preferred Airline Carrier in India & Why-indigo.jpg
Image Source

Your preferred Airline Carrier in India & Why-vistara.jpg
Image Source

Your preferred Airline Carrier in India & Why-air-india.jpg
Image Source

It must be noted that in 2022, AirAsia India was acquired by Tata Sons and renamed AIX Connect. It was then merged with Air India Express. The combined entity has a domestic market share of ~7-8%.

Your preferred Airline Carrier in India & Why-aiex.jpg
Image Source

With the grounding of Go First, by September, IndiGo's market share grew to 63.4%, while the Tata Group held 26.5%. Other operators include SpiceJet and Akasa Air. The former holds just 4.4% market share, while the latter is still a fledgling that has been in service for just ~17 months and holds a market share of 4.2%.

Your preferred Airline Carrier in India & Why-spicejet.jpg
Image Source

Your preferred Airline Carrier in India & Why-akasa_air_vtyaa.jpg
Image Source

Each airline has some strong points and drawbacks. Let's have a look at those of the two largest players in our skies today.

IndiGo has the largest fleet of all airline carriers in India. It flies to the most number of destinations and has multiple flights in a day. This gives customers many options to choose from. This means that more often than not, fliers are booking their seats on an IndoGo flight compared to other airlines. However, IndiGo is a low-cost airline. The seats in their aircraft are basic and food is not included in the fare. You can buy snacks on the flight, but if you want something like a sandwich, it needs to be pre-booked.

Vistara, which holds ~10% market share, operates its flights on a full-fare basis. They have economy and business class seats. The latter is very comfortable and a boon on longer flights (eg. New Delhi - Chennai). While their economy seats are no more comfortable to sit in than say IndiGo's they offer infotainment screens and USB charging ports. Being a full-fare airline, fresh food is served, which is far better than the packaged stuff you get on low-cost carriers. Coming to drawbacks, the airline does not have a large fleet and doesn't fly to many destinations.

Your preferred Airline Carrier in India & Why-business-class.jpg
Image Source

So, which is your preferred airline carrier in India and why?

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd January 2024 at 18:27.
Aditya is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 18:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your preferred Airline Carrier in India & Why

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd January 2024 at 18:39.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 18:46   #3
Team-BHP Support

Voted Vistara.

Whether it’s personal or work travel, my EA / travel desk has been told only to give me Vistara and Indigo flight options in the first instance. I’ll generally book Vistara pre eco unless the price is just way too high for any reason. The quality of service for Vistara is simply a notch above everything else.

With Indigo, I think they just cover more routes, are for most part clockwork efficient and predictable - wherever possible, I try to upgrade to one of the early rows. Again an airline I appreciate for their integrity of purpose executed with (for most part) clinical precision. No nonsense, get the work done sort of dependable.

I only check options from other airlines if the above two are not feasible for whatever reason. I’ve found Spicejet to be erratic, I’ll give AI some time to settle in under the new owners and Akasa is something I’d like to try when I’m flying the relevant sector. But as of now, its still down to only these two. I’ll always avoid stressed airlines because they cancel or reschedule far too often. That’s just not the kind of uncertainty or sub par experience I like to deal with.

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd January 2024 at 10:59. Reason: Added reasons as per opening post.
Axe77 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 18:53   #4
BHPian

For me, a difficult choice between Vistara and IndiGo. I finally voted for the former due to them being a full-service airline, offering USB ports at seats and having a premium economy option that usually isn't exorbitantly priced. Their limited route network is the only real drawback, and they would be the first choice on any flight, especially long (and international) ones.

IndiGo's extensive route network and consistent experience being plus points. As they are a low-cost carrier, I don't mind that snacks have to be purchased/pre-ordered. However, I haven't found these to be particularly good at all, which marks them negatively. Their hard product is also nothing to write home about according to me.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 2nd January 2024 at 19:23.
GForceEnjoyer is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 18:55   #5
BHPian

If only Jet Airways still existed!

Vistara is good, but Jet covered many more destinations and routes. Hope Air India does some magic and fills the void left by Jet.
Bhargav7 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 19:07   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My first choice is Vistara, then getting one of the good seats in economy class. I usually pay to upgrade the seat to one of those extra-legroom types so I can work on my laptop. 2nd choice is Indigo. I now pick Indigo only if Vistara isn't available around my preferred timings, but the seat quality & customer service levels trail Vistara. Half the time I travel in Indigo, my butt hurts because the seatbase cushion has completely worn out and offers poor support.

As a rule, I never travel on broke or struggling airlines, so I don't even remember the last time I'd taken a Spicejet, GoAir etc.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 19:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Indigo

Unfortunately my usual route doesn’t have Vistara, else it would have been my choice of airlines(Flew with them once and loved it). Spice is raam-bharose(unreliable) & GoAir stopped operations.

Having said that Indigo isn’t really a low-cost airline anymore by long shot. It’s getting supremely overpriced. Lack of other options is probably making them high-handed. Unfortunately the others are just crap and hence have to choose the lesser evil.

Last edited by SoumenD : 2nd January 2024 at 20:03.
SoumenD is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 21:23   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

VOTED- AIR INDIA

Having voted for Air India, I know that I would be in a minority. My preference for Air India stems from the following points:

1. They fly to most of the destinations that are shunned by most of the airlines in business. For the North East India, they are a life saver since they have been providing connectivity to the far flung areas for very long now. I still remember taking flights out of Jorhat and Lilabari during my childhood and flying only meant Indian Airlines which has been now renamed as Air India.

2. Their baggage policy is still one of the best. In the domestic sector, they provide more luggage space than economy carriers like Indigo and Spicejet despite charging less for the fare !!

3. They have now started to shed the typical Air India traits that have plagued the airlines for so long now and my recent flying experiences have been top notch with them, even for short haul flights.

4. Flights have been getting refurbished and there is a marked improvement in the food variety as well. Someone somewhere is doing the right things in order to set the airline right.

5. The staff behaviour is getting better each day. Far cry from the usual boorish or high handed behaviour days. In fact, these days I find the behaviour of Indigo people as worst.

6. Most importantly, Air India is making an effort to make flying a wonderful experience again.

I would have voted for Indigo for their clock like precision but for the fact that they are now looting passengers in the name of being low cost and are too boring. Corporate bookings aside, I don’t usually fly them. Their fares have grown high so much that at times, prices are higher than even full service carriers. Charging for everything while denying the basic services in the garb of being low cost is just not on. Their seats are basically cloth wrapped plastic and they get away by saying that they are low cost ..such a shame !

Vistara is a fantastic airlines and I have had a pleasant experience everytime till date. Just that they only fly to high density routes !!

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 2nd January 2024 at 21:47.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 22:05   #9
BHPian

Voted for Vistara

While choosing the tickets, my default go to is always Vistara. Barring a recent poor experience, all the other flights for me have been excellent. I'm willing to let the poor one slide because nobody is perfect, especially when it comes to the service sector. They also have convenient timings for me with morning and evening flights making them apt for day or work trips. The great food is cherry on top when you're tired or sleepy and their coffee is just amazing! That said, they have a very small network connecting only to metros (I know that's because of their hub and spoke model, but still). Their A321neo fleet is an absolute treat to fly on though- easily the best way to fly domestic.

Also had my first experience with Akasa and it was excellent as well. Modern fleet, hospitable crew and a really nice and wide variety in the menu. But being a small and new airline, they do need to serve more airports and schedules. I'm just hoping against hope that they don't go the IndiGo way when they scale.

My third preference is AI. Very comfy seats and often great food as well. The extra baggage allowance also helps sometimes. But the fleet is worn down, the hospitality is a hit or miss and it somehow feels less "glamorous" than others if that's even a real thing. Excited to try their new A359 though.

IndiGo is my absolute last choice, but sadly the most common simply because of monopolised routes. While the planes are mostly fairly new, I've not had anything nice to say about them in a while. On time performance used to be good but not the case anymore. In my experience, it's at par with other airlines only. It would be unfair to compare this LCC to full-service airlines but not when they charge similar or in some cases quite a bit higher fares.

AirAsia (now AIX Connect) and Air India Express I haven't flown so can't say. But they don't serve my hometown or current residence either so I don't foresee trying them in the near future. The new B738 Maxes sure do have a wonderful interior though!

I have till date not had the courage to fly on Spicejet or Alliance Air and they're not even in my list. I would rather take a bus. Want to try Star Air with their Embraers and other small airlines with single prop aircraft soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargav7 View Post
If only Jet Airways still existed!

Vistara is good, but Jet covered many more destinations and routes. Hope Air India does some magic and fills the void left by Jet.
100% agreed! Jet was something else completely. Even in their last days when the aircrafts were beat-up, the hospitality and service levels were top notch and not at all matched by anyone as consistently today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
VOTED- AIR INDIA

Having voted for Air India, I know that I would be in a minority. My preference for Air India stems from the following points:

1. They fly to most of the destinations that are shunned by most of the airlines in business. For the North East India, they are a life saver since they have been providing connectivity to the far flung areas for very long now. I still remember taking flights out of Jorhat and Lilabari during my childhood and flying only meant Indian Airlines which has been now renamed as Air India.
After privatisation, I believe Alliance Air been carved out of Air India Regional and has been retained by the govt precisely to serve regional underserved routes effectively making it a separate entity. Moreover, the regional connectivity scheme has also forced a lot more airlines to provide compulsory services to airports in the north-east.

Quote:
2. Their baggage policy is still one of the best. In the domestic sector, they provide more luggage space than economy carriers like Indigo and Spicejet despite charging less for the fare !!
Their biggest USP! Very important when it comes to senior citizens or internationally connecting passengers.

Quote:
3. They have now started to shed the typical Air India traits that have plagued the airlines for so long now and my recent flying experiences have been top notch with them, even for short haul flights.
Would still say its too early to conclude. I've had mixed experiences- some of the best and worst after the Tata takeover! Am still hoping for the world-class experience that Tata has promised.

Quote:
I would have voted for Indigo for their clock like precision but for the fact that they are now looting passengers in the name of being low cost and are too boring. Corporate bookings aside, I don’t usually fly them. Their fares have grown high so much that at times, prices are higher than even full service carriers. Charging for everything while denying the basic services in the garb of being low cost is just not on.
+1

For sure interesting times ahead for indian aviation!

Last edited by porsche_guy : 2nd January 2024 at 22:13.
porsche_guy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 22:49   #10
BHPian

Voted for Vistara
They have good miles to seat redemption options. Have been able to use miles converted from points on Magnus (in the past). More recently IDFC vistara card and Axis Atlas card. Gave me more flights for the number of miles (compared to Air India ). Ofcourse i get premium tickets with IDFC vistara card.

Travelling with Akasa was good experience, nothing to complain, except that i have to pay for the airfare

I have travelled in Air India last weekend. In Mumbai T2 airport, the flight was still marked "on time" even half hour before departure while same time departure vistara was marked "boarding". When we went to the gate, there was final call happening where as status indicator still had "on time". Phew i narrowly avoided missing the flight. They still have some ways to go in improving customer experience. Their feedback link also expired in few hours by the time i wanted to give them my "honest" feedback.

Indigo comes in last for me. Being treated like cattle is not on my wishlist
Old 3rd January 2024, 00:59   #11
BHPian

I have always used Indigo but after multiple poor experiences in 2023 planning to change to Vistara or Akasa in 2024.

Added benefit would be using Terminal 2 out of Bangalore and hopefully using aerobridge instead of bus.
Old 3rd January 2024, 02:10   #12
BHPian

Vistara first, Air India next. But Indigo is what I frequently fly not because I prefer it, but I don’t have any other choice.

The basis of my vote is the quality of seats and food offered. Air India is certainly improving in the quality of food as well. I tend to be not bothered too much about the seat comfort for a travel time of 1-2 hours. Indigo lacks basic seats comfort and I always prefer a meal in the flight to kill time. I need quality food which Indigo off late fails miserably having cut even the corporate meal service.
Old 3rd January 2024, 08:10   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Spice and Go Air (till it flew) were out of the question. I simply do not trust their maintenance or their training. Period. Also cash strapped airlines run by billionaire playboy wannabe's and politico wannabe's are likely to cut corners intentionally or unintentionally. Air Asia India/Air India Express I have never flown and cannot comment upon.

Akasa I'll wait and watch. The jury is still out. They have not got their act together yet. I am willing to assume that Aditya Ghosh will over time get his ducks in a row. They first need to learn point 1.01 of getting the flight to take off on time.

Indigo has only one thing going for it and that is on time service most of the time at least. Staff courtesy, staff attitude has deteriorated. And check-in with baggage on metro-to-metro flights has taken a thrashing to being a downright horrid experience. The snacks in their corporate pre-booked meal is something I haves topped. They are beginning to look more and more like Ryan Air and EasyJet where callousness towards passengers is a part of the product. Two CXO level officers at Indigo whom I knew very well quit over the last 12 months. From what I hear cost cutting, automation, cookie cutter bare bones service is their strategy now; the passenger is a number on the fast moving production line. My guess is, pardon my French, the middle finger attitude of the staff starts from the top at Indigo. I am still compelled to use Indigo as often theirs's is the only conveniently timed flight especially to non-metros. This I hope will change over the next 2 years.

Air India and Vistara are my preferred airlines as of now even though Vistara economy seat leg space is terrible unless you can manage to get an emergency row seat. Air India's check-in is still wobbly in the metros where the volumes are high. But their cabin service is getting better and the new A350 on metro routes would I presume have comfortable seats and adequate leg space in economy.

My vote is for Air India and Vistara - both equally preferable.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 3rd January 2024 at 08:17.
V.Narayan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 08:23   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I fly Vistara Premium Economy on any route where it is available at a reasonable price (say ₹3-4K more than Economy). Given the bulk of my flights are either Bombay Delhi or Bombay Bangalore, I manage to use Vistara for the majority of my travel. But on routes even to places like Hyderabad, Madras or Calcutta, Vistara often does not exist and Indigo becomes the default option.

Indigo seems to have reduced the seat pitch compared to what it was earlier and the seats which were always thin have become more uncomfortable now. So do try as hard as possible to get the first or emergency row.

Took one Go Air flight from Goa about 2 years ago and vowed never again. Don’t trust Spicejet at all and have not tried Akasa yet. Flown Air Asia once from Hyderabad to Bangalore - was decent in the emergency row. And yes, do fly Air India occasionally - but used to do it more often when we allowed Business Class travel for domestic flights. Will relook at it in sectors where Premium Economy becomes available.

Flew Air India from London recently. The ex Etihad plane on the sector was old and showing its age, but far better than the legacy Air India 777s.
Hayek is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 10:04   #15
BHPian

Star Air is excellent where available. Their small Embraer flights are relatively new and have great seats with ample legroom. With 2+1 seating, it feels business class. They serve very few UDAN routes and generally do not list on travel sites. You have to book on their website only.
Beyond that I am not picky Most domestic routes are <2 hours and passes by in no time!
gnome is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks