Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2023, 16:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Return of sails on ships: Cargo ship conducts real-world test runs between China & Brazil

According to media reports, a 750-foot Pyrix cargo ship has been fitted with two massive sails, which could help save one & a half tonnes of heavy fuel per day.

The two massive sails have been developed by BAR Technologies - a British engineering outfit. Each of the sails stands 123 feet tall and is said to be built in a similar way as wind turbines to withstand the high winds at sea. The sails are being tested on the Pyrix cargo ship, with its first real-world test voyage expected to take place between China & Brazil. The voyage itself will be managed by Cargill and will take 6 weeks to complete - compared to the 20-40 days duration of current fuel-powered ships.

Return of sails on ships: Cargo ship conducts real-world test runs between China & Brazil-shipsails.jpg

The sails, also called 'Wind Wings', will be closely monitored, with the results used to influence future designs of the sails. If the tests go well, BAR Technologies claims it could "shape the future of shipping". The engineering firm also stated that half of the newly built ships could be fitted with similar sails by 2025.

As per reports, the sails could help the cargo vessel save three tonnes of heavy fuel per day. They can also be folded away when the ship comes into port.

Source: BBC

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 17:12   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Return of sails on ships: Cargo ship conducts real-world test runs between China & Brazil

This video gives a better idea about how it works:

Not suitable for container ships, but works well for bulk cargo ships and crude carriers. "Visually", looking at the size of the wings, it looks inadequate though.
SmartCat is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 18:02   #3
BHPian

Re: Return of sails on ships: Cargo ship conducts real-world test runs between China & Brazil

Another interesting concept is from AIRSEAS:

https://airseas.com/en/about/

It involves a deployable sail (a bit like a parachute) that will PULL the water-craft. The structural ramifications of this approach are far simpler than those in a dedicated, fabricated sail-hoist; perhaps, the costs and utility too because the Airseas mechanism is stow-able, flexible and with a smaller footprint.

A very elegant solution, I would say. Lets hope it veers us in the direction of carbon-neutral shipping.
Old 28th August 2023, 18:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Interesting times as shipping. We are at the cusp of major technology change with all the innovation along alternate fuels and energy saving technologies.

I work for a major Scandinavian company that is also working on the wind sails concept ( although I am not connected to the project). Read more in the link below.

https://www.theoceanbird.com/about-us/

With IMO's stated decarbonization targets, we can expect to see some more innovative solutions in the market. Some more feasible than others.

Last edited by vibbs : 28th August 2023 at 18:18.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 18:22   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I work for a major Scandinavian company that is also working on the wind sails concept ( although I am not connected to the project). With IMO's stated decarbonization targets, we can expect to see some more innovative solutions in the market. Some more feasible than others.
Fascinating stuff. But can wind "sails" really provide enough thrust to significantly increase fuel economy & reduce emissions? After all, modern cargo ships weigh how much? 50,000 tonnes? 20th century cargo sailboats probably weighed 1/10th of modern counterparts.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 19:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is another cargo ship named Canopee with 4 wings, apparently they save 15-40% fuel.

Return of sails on ships: Cargo ship conducts real-world test runs between China & Brazil-20230828_191122.jpg
SKC-auto is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 21:34   #7
BHPian

Shipping as an industry is by far the cleanest mode of transport in terms of emissions per Tonne-mile. Yet they are still at the forefront in exploring ways to further reduce emissions, be it alternate fuels or alternate technologies.
Massive cargo ships [some of them the largest in their class] are successfully running on dual fuels.
Speaking of alternate propulsion systems, I am inclined to believe that the Enercon ships were way ahead in setting an example as early as 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Ship_1?wprov=sfla1

Regards
arethusa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 21:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Shofu Maru is the World’s First Cargo Vessel Equipped With ‘Wind Challenger’ Hard Sail and was delivered in Oct. 2022.

Return of sails on ships: Cargo ship conducts real-world test runs between China & Brazil-img_8250.jpeg

The introduction of the Wind Challenger is expected to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions about 5% on a Japan-Australia voyage and about 8% on a Japan-North America West Coast voyage, compared to a conventional vessel of the same type, and contribute to curbing GHG emissions during fuel transportation.

ruzbehxyz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 01:47   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

It is actually not a new development. I’d say the marine industry has been trying various sail arrangements over the last 2-3 decades. But with very little succes. I don’t think the technology as such is the problem. There was no pressing need or rather a lack of a good business case.

I wonder if such a sail assisted vessel would require the crew to have additional formal training and or certification?

Jeroen
Old 29th August 2023, 02:03   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I wonder if such a sail assisted vessel would require the crew to have additional formal training and or certification?
This is not a sail in the traditional sense - no fabric, no mast, no ropes. Apparently, it is the same material we see in wind turbine blades. So expect everything to be controlled by 2 or 3 buttons or a touchscreen.
Old 29th August 2023, 02:13   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
This is not a sail in the traditional sense - no fabric, no mast, no ropes. Apparently, it is the same material we see in wind turbine blades. So expect everything to be controlled by 2 or 3 buttons or a touchscreen.
On a modern ship a 50000 HP diesel engine with adjustable pitch is controlled through one lever on the bridge. But there are still a couple of engineer that need to know how all of this works, how to repair and maintain it.

Typically local (country) regulation determine what kind of certification is required for the crew. Many countries have different ratings and certification for the engineers based on horsepower, tonnage and also kind of propulsion machinery. So you might be certified to sail as a chief engineer on a diesel ship, but not a steam propulsion ship.

I have an unlimited, unrestricted chief license. I can be chief engineer on anything that floats, whether it is diesel, steam, electrically or even nuclear powered. It can be a super tanker, cruise ship, ice breaker, bulk carrier whatever. But nobody thought of adding sails as propulsion method in those days I got my ticket.

Similar rules, regulation apply to the deck officers and crew as well. What does this thing do with stability, how to operate it. Stow it, etc etc.

Ships are operated similar to planes, with strict processes, and check lists and procedures. Somebody needs to update them for such a sail/turbine operation.

These type of sails, or rather turbines, are pretty high tech and you need qualified and adequately trained crew. And most likely certification as well.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 29th August 2023 at 02:16.
Jeroen is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 15:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Interesting and lets see which of these new sail technology gets adoption. There was a article and video i saw of a rotary sail tech which was also put on some nordic routes for testing.

As Jereon mentions it could be more to do with the added crew and the hassle to get the certifications and trainings in time which could be the limited.
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 15:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Fascinating stuff. But can wind "sails" really provide enough thrust to significantly increase fuel economy & reduce emissions? After all, modern cargo ships weigh how much? 50,000 tonnes? 20th century cargo sailboats probably weighed 1/10th of modern counterparts.
These are wind assisted propulsion. They don't completely eliminate the need to have main propulsion but instead complement by improving the propulsion efficiency.

If you see the news link on this thread, the sails from BAR technologies is expected to save 1.5 tonnes of heavy oil per day.

The bottom line is that there is no magic bullet. Ship owners are experimenting with different ideas like alternate fuels (methanol, ammonia, biofuel etc), waste heat recovery, air bubbles (to reduce friction) etc to reduce the carbon footprint.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 18:54   #14
GTE
BANNED

I am much more inclined to believe in the kite sail which I believe is being experimented with. It seems like it doesn't require too much modification, even if it knocks off a small percentage of fuel (pollution) consumption it may be worth it.
GTE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 08:26   #15
BHPian

IMO (International maritime organization) is Stringent in energy efficiency, with the advent of SEEMP part 3(ship energy efficiency management plan), ship operators are stressed about saving fuel by any means as you'll be taxed for the fuel you consume, hence all these sails are being experimented, still the standard adaption on large scale is unknown.

I'm going a bit off topic here.
It is good that advancements are made in energy efficiency but the human factor at sea is vastly ignored.

Salaries have been stagnant (especially for physically working lower ranks), accommodation sizes have reduced (energy efficiency, cargo maximization) still most ships don't have internet onboard, job has become stressful due new regulations, newer tech, reduced man power.

We, as a society should give equal importance to human happiness as we work towards energy efficiency.
tiagoatrix is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks