Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2023, 09:47   #1
BHPian

Karnataka increasing road tax by 4-5% from August 2023? EDIT: Appears to be for commercial vehicles

I got a call my SA at Trident Hyundai Bangalore last night informing that wef 1st Aug the KA govt will be increasing the road tax rate by 4-5%. He said that any registration that happens on or after 1st Aug will require to pay the increased rate. Did anyone else got any info on this?
sizz28 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 10:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Karnataka increasing road tax by 4-5% from August 2023? EDIT: Appears to be for commercial vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizz28 View Post
I got a call my SA at Trident Hyundai Bangalore last night informing that wef 1st Aug the KA govt will be increasing the road tax rate by 4-5%. He said that any registration that happens on or after 1st Aug will require to pay the increased rate. Did anyone else got any info on this?
AFAIK, it's applicable only for Commercial Vehicles. Non Transport Vehicles tax is the same. Already KA has highest tax among all states in India. There is no point in increasing it further just because of the greedy nature the leaders. Period.
CarguyNish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 11:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Karnataka increasing road tax by 4-5% from August 2023? EDIT: Appears to be for commercial vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
AFAIK, it's applicable only for Commercial Vehicles. Non Transport Vehicles tax is the same. Already KA has highest tax among all states in India. There is no point in increasing it further just because of the greedy nature the leaders. Period.
Slightly political, however for them to fund the promised freebies, they need to increase revenue and this is an easy way of doing it. The electricity, water, milk, alcohol rates have all been already increased, so I would not be surprised if this is next.
dass is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 19:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
This is expected, the new govt. needs money to fund their freebies as well as collect funds for the upcoming LS elections due next year, their options are limited and with nearly all nearby states increasing their road taxes to match KA's, upwards is the only trend expected.

There was also an announcement during the recent state budget sessions on road tax rationalization, though I doubt the increase would be this high.

Lets see
shantanumishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 19:32   #5
BHPian

With GST, state governments have limited levers to raise additional revenues. Road tax on vehicles, alcohol, fuel are some available options. And obviously state governments will milk them to the maximum.

With GST, there tax rates (which is also astronomically high, separate discussion!) are fixed and cannot be changed by individual states. As far as I know.
OrangeCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 22:08   #6
BHPian

Wasn't there a proposal (or maybe even a law) for uniform road tax across India? When is that going to get rolled out to all customers?
Old 25th July 2023, 23:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Wasn't there a proposal (or maybe even a law) for uniform road tax across India? When is that going to get rolled out to all customers?
While this had been proposed on a central level some year back now, it has met serious pushback from states like Maharashtra, Karnataka and Kerala which have the highest rates of road tax that these states are not willing to let go. I doubt that the uniformity would ever see the light of the day.
outdoorlover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 17:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

https://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...a-2592554.html

It is only for commercial vehicles.
Old 26th July 2023, 17:25   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
While this had been proposed on a central level some year back now, it has met serious pushback from states like Maharashtra, Karnataka and Kerala which have the highest rates of road tax that these states are not willing to let go. I doubt that the uniformity would ever see the light of the day.
Achieving a uniform road tax system need not be a pipe dream; there is indeed a way to do it without facing pushback from other states. The approach is to increase the road tax rates of other states to align with the rates of the high-rate states. The problem is solved
Old 26th July 2023, 17:57   #10
BHPian

If all items come under GST, how will states that get low percentage as central grants mobilize money ? Developed states get 10 to 15 paisa for every rupee they send to centre. So they will milk what they can.
Old 26th July 2023, 18:44   #11
BHPian

The RTO officials as usual complicate the matters when it has been clearly mentioned in the Budget speech of the Hon'ble CM that it was only for commercial Vehicles.
Old 27th July 2023, 08:58   #12
BHPian

Having made some totally balk worthy promises in the run up to the elections and under pressure to walk the talk, its no surprise that everything is going up in KA. Milk is going to be dearer by 3.00, Veg prices are hitting the roof, commercial tariff of electricity increased by almost 20%. Increase in RTO tax is one way generate that moolah to plug the budget deficit. It's a pity that citizens have to pay more tax for non existent roads.

Rob peter to pay Paul.

Note to mods: Delete this post if it sounds too political.
srini1785 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks