Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2023, 21:46   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
And the Perseverance rover? It was equipped with a whopping number of 23 cameras , each purpose-built and positioned for a specific task.
Slightly OT

Ingenuity is my favorite.

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-rover-2.jpeg

ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 00:40   #122
BHPian

Re: ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I actually dont mind if they show continuity post Mission Mangal with the same cast.One will miss Vikram Gokhale ( Akshay Kumars boss) though.
I’m sorry, I don’t get your references or intent. I’m not a movie fan, obviously… so pls forgive.
Old 30th August 2023, 06:17   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser123 View Post
I’m sorry, I don’t get your references or intent. I’m not a movie fan, obviously… so pls forgive.
Refer to your own post #109 above where you mentioned an article link. That article talks about Bollywood and Akshay Kumar, who starred in a previous movie " Mission Mangal" based on India's Mars mission. Hope you get the context now.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 09:58   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

And now we've found Sulphur! Amazing to be the first to explore this part of the Moon, literally going where man has never gone before! After a long time getting excited about space again. This is positively sci-fi, like kick starting the next few steps towards the Moon bases humanity will establish one day in the distant future...
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 15:04   #125
Senior - BHPian

Chandrayaan-3 Mission:

Pragyan Rover clicked an image of Vikram Lander this morning.

The 'image of the mission' was taken by the Navigation Camera onboard the Rover (NavCam).

NavCams for the Chandrayaan-3 Mission are developed by the Laboratory for Electro-Optics Systems (LEOS)

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-20230830_150410.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 30th August 2023 at 15:06.
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 19:27   #126
Senior - BHPian

Chandrayaan 3 shared the minerals it found on the lunar surface.

The list includes:

1. Aluminum (Al)
  2. Sulphur (S)
  3. Calcium (Ca)
  4. Iron (Fe)
  5. Chromium (Cr)
  6. Titanium (Ti)
  7. Manganese (Mn)
  8. Silicon (Si)
  9. Oxygen (O)

This is the first-ever in-situ measurement of the elements present on the moon near the south pole. Chadrayaan 3 unambiguously confirmed the presence of aluminum, calcium, iron and these elements which was not feasible by the instruments onboard the orbiters.

Source: https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...377268366.html
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 21:55   #127
BHPian

The Apollo missions brought back significant quantity of moon rocks and soil. Weren't these minerals identified in those samples?
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 08:12   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
The Apollo missions brought back significant quantity of moon rocks and soil. Weren't these minerals identified in those samples?
Some were. Some weren't. It is not claimed Chandrayan alone identified the minerals. The soil/rocks collected by NASA and Soviet missions were from different areas. But Chandrayan 1 was the first to report presence of water near the south polar region where no others have gone. That is why ISRO is focussed in that area.

Also, whatever is reported may not be present in it's pure form. The oxygen may be present as oxide. For example if iron oxide is present, it means both iron as well as oxygen are present.

https://www.astronomy.com/observing/...rocks-told-us/
Gansan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 15:23   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Chandrayaan-3 Mission:

Pragyan Rover clicked an image of Vikram Lander this morning.
Once more, co-traveller Pragyan captures Vikram in a Snap!

This iconic snap was taken today around 11 am IST from about 15 m.

The data from the NavCams is processed by SAC/ISRO, Ahmedabad.

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-20230831_152215.jpg

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-20230831_152218.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 19:09   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
I think I know where the confusion has arisen and it's in the wording. Lemme explain: see the highlighted text below-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
This is the first-ever in-situ measurement of the elements present on the moon near the south pole. Chadrayaan 3 unambiguously confirmed the presence of aluminum, calcium, iron and these elements which was not feasible by the instruments onboard the orbiters.
The key lies in the fact that the identification of these minerals was done in-situ, i.e., in place. While you're correct that the elements (not minerals) would've been identified from samples retrieved by the Soviet and NASA missions, to be totally pedantic (and science is nothing if not weaponised pedantry at times), those samples become ex-situ (i.e., out of place) the very moment you move them from their original position. I think having the qualifier "first-ever" in front of in-situ is factually correct as none of those prior missions that I know of would've done mineralogical analysis on site (I vaguely recall Apollo astronauts given a crash course in field geology in order to do field observations but that's not the same thing), but it does create the opening for the confusion that this is the very first time those minerals have been discovered so to speak.

It's an easy mistake to make.

Last edited by ads11 : 31st August 2023 at 19:12.
ads11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 15:14   #131
Senior - BHPian

Chandrayaan-3 Mission:

Meanwhile, over the Moon, Pragan Rover has traversed over 100 meters and continuing.

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-20230902_151311.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 22:31   #132
BHPian

ISRO officially announces the completion of Rover assignments. Job, well done

Hope it survives the lunar frigid night and wakes up to see the 'day'
Attached Thumbnails
ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-screenshot_20230902_222700_x.jpg  

thanixravindran is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 00:15   #133
Senior - BHPian

^^ How come, isn't one lunar day equal to fourteen earth days? Still two more days to go before nightfall?

Last edited by Gansan : 3rd September 2023 at 00:18.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 09:45   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ How come, isn't one lunar day equal to fourteen earth days? Still two more days to go before nightfall?
Just a thought, may be because it landed near South pole, even on earth near to poles there will be continuous days without sunlight and days without darkness.
Old 3rd September 2023, 10:59   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Because moon takes about 28 days to complete one rotation whereas earth takes about 24 hours!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks