Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2023, 10:39   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do

The lander and rover have been there for two days now. But where are the pictures? We have seen only one video of the rover going down the ramp and nothing else. I thought immediately after seperation the lander and rover will take pictures of each other and beam them to ISRO!
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 12:30   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
An observation
The Apollo missions almost 50 years ago seem to have clear videos and images compared to what's onboard the Chandrayaan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The lander and rover have been there for two days now. But where are the pictures? We have seen only one video...
I could be wrong here, but AFAIK the rover is equipped with two monochromatic cameras having just ONE megapixel resolution; and these are basically still cameras, but I guess they can take video as well. The purpose of these cameras are situational awareness and navigation, like avoiding pothole-sized craters etc.

Perhaps, we have to assume here that photography is not a forte of Vikram rover or the Chandrayaan 3 mission altogether.

Ref. Apollo missions, the astronauts used Hasselblad cameras, which is the epitome of medium format photography even today. And the Perseverance rover? It was equipped with a whopping number of 23 cameras , each purpose-built and positioned for a specific task.
Attached Thumbnails
ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-bb.jpg  

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-aa.jpg  

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 26th August 2023 at 12:45. Reason: Edit: PIC Source NASA and HAsselblad
sandeepmdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 18:19   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The lander and rover have been there for two days now. But where are the pictures? We have seen only one video of the rover going down the ramp and nothing else. I thought immediately after separation the lander and rover will take pictures of each other and beam them to ISRO!
We do not know whether the location being South Pole makes a difference to the process of transmitting data. Perhaps the batteries are conserved only allow select pictures.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 13:29   #109
BHPian

What also blows my mind is that we did it with a smaller budget than some movies! Just wow!

From: https://finshots.in/archive/sunny-si...stroying-wine/

Quote:
India became the fourth country to ever land a spacecraft on the Moon. And we did it with a shoestring budget too — ₹615 crores!

That’s way less than all of the glam the film industry puts into their movies. The latest Mission: Impossible franchise for instance cost a whopping $290 million. That’s 4x the budget of Chandrayaan-3! Even the latest Indian films like Adipurush didn’t come cheap. Its producers burnt close to ₹700 crores on it.

Now granted, this isn't a fair comparison. But it does put into context how much we can achieve with so little. Our scientists never believed in splashing the cash. They made sure that parts from untested rockets weren’t going to waste. For instance, 30% of the sub-systems that went into the Chandrayaan-1 were used in other operations. So, yeah that’s how the Chandrayaan-3 may have become a rather nifty economical enterprise.

Oh, and people are already registering titles to create a Bollywood flick about it. And yup, Akshay Kumar is on the list. 😁
NewUser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 14:22   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The lander and rover have been there for two days now. But where are the pictures? We have seen only one video of the rover going down the ramp and nothing else. I thought immediately after seperation the lander and rover will take pictures of each other and beam them to ISRO!
Another video has been released today of the Rover venturing further. There is also a video of the landing sequence. Beaming still or motion images from celestial bodies like the moon isn't easy, Vikram has to communicate with the orbiter from Chandrayaan 2 which will beam it down to Earth. It's not like Earth where there is a constellation of satellites available 24/7.

There are also limitations of the equipment they can carry due to payload limitations (India doesn't have heavy rockets like NASA, SpaceX or Russia) so they have to choose between better cameras or other (more useful) equipment for conducting studies.
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 18:03   #111
BHPian

This story was mentioned in the local press in Norway without any fanfare. Just a regular news article.
Zelensky’s green T-shirt made bigger news
A colleague of mine said that India was lucky this time.
I think the West is a bit jealous of this feat.
The EU's top diplomat, Josep Borrell did say that the EU was a garden and the rest of the world, a jungle.
Indian2003 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 19:14   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
The EU's top diplomat, Josep Borrell did say that the EU was a garden and the rest of the world, a jungle.
Someone aptly said this “Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems, That if it is you, it's yours, if it is me it is ours.” European mindset

That being said, our colleagues from various continents actually celebrated the event (moon landing) considering it as a big achievement for humanity.

Last edited by NomadSK : 27th August 2023 at 19:16.
NomadSK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 01:32   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
This story was mentioned in the local press in Norway without any fanfare. Just a regular news article.
Zelensky’s green T-shirt made bigger news
A colleague of mine said that India was lucky this time.
Well, most of my European friends responded quite positively and the news was featured quite prominently in Belgian media (where I'd studied and have quite a lot of friends there) as well as Dutch and German media. The response from the US, Australia & Canada also seem overwhelmingly positive. The only salty bunch seems to be the Brits - that too mostly the ones consuming Rupert Murdoch's media.

It's also about the circle you interact with - you'll find people saying racist stuff anywhere, even in India. It's our choice whether to focus on the positives or the negatives.
dragracer567 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 08:56   #114
BHPian

I think ISRO did not have the intention of video feed. Even if you look at the launches video is not a primary concern. Compared to spaceX which puts cameras and keeps sending video at all parts of their launches.

The very first Apollo 11 sent live TV back and did so directly from lander to earth satellites. Apollo 12 even had colour cameras.

Main goal seems to have been the landing and some material experiments about water etc. and not adding up weight to make it look good for us ! We are feeling left out after the initial landing
PreludeSH is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 09:44   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
People will also jingoistically toe the government line hailing this as an achievement for 'national pride', 'Indian brains' or whatever cause they subscribe to in their heads.
Its ok sir, please allow us Indians to celebrate this achievement.BBC is also giving similar gyaan to us.
werfish is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 10:01   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
Its ok sir, please allow us Indians to celebrate this achievement.BBC is also giving similar gyaan to us.
Please read my post as a whole, you have just picked this point and are deliberately misinterpreting it, just for some virtue signalling. Have already responded to another Tbhpian, clarifying what I mean. Am going to leave it at that now, before I give the already overworked mods some more work to do.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 12:08   #117
Team-BHP Support

Here's some perspective on how the Pragyan rover is being operated on the Moon.

Essentially, the process of navigating Pragyan is driven from ground on Earth and every such command takes five hours (Pragyan sending over the map of its path, ground control relaying navigational instructions), and the rover can travel 5m during each such process.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../103111021.cms
Old 28th August 2023, 13:52   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser123 View Post
What also blows my mind is that we did it with a smaller budget than some movies! Just wow!

From: https://finshots.in/archive/sunny-si...stroying-wine/
I actually dont mind if they show continuity post Mission Mangal with the same cast.One will miss Vikram Gokhale ( Akshay Kumars boss) though.
Old 29th August 2023, 08:37   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Chandrayaan-3 Mission:

On August 27, 2023, the Rover came across a 4-meter diameter crater positioned 3 meters ahead of its location.

The Rover was commanded to retrace the path.

It's now safely heading on a new path.

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-20230829_083647.jpg

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-20230829_083651.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 16:57   #120
Senior - BHPian

I remember someone mentioning about having ISRO's emblem engraved on one of the wheel of the rover, it is correct. Check out the rear right wheel in the below picture, you can see the ISRO's emblem.

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-rover.jpeg
ecenandu is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks