Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2023, 10:50   #1
Team-BHP Support

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 is scheduled to lift off around 2.35pm IST on 14 July '23 from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota. This will be ISRO's second tryst with landing a rover on the moon, after the almost successful Chandrayaan-2 in 2019.

Chandrayaan-1 launched in 2008 included an Orbiter and an Impact Probe, which was crashed on the Moon's surface in a controlled manner.

The Chandrayaan-3 payload consists of a Lander and Rover, apart from the Propulsion module, that will put the vehicle into lunar orbit. Unlike Chandrayaan-2, this mission will not have an Orbiter, and the Propulsion module itself will go all the way to put the Lander into Moon's orbit.

The mission duration is one Lunar day (~14 Earth days) but as almost all ISRO and other Space Agency missions have shown, this could last longer, if successful.

Quote:
The mission objectives of Chandrayaan-3 are:

To demonstrate Safe and Soft Landing on Lunar Surface
To demonstrate Rover roving on the moon and
To conduct in-situ scientific experiments.
The Lander is expected to land on the Moon on 23-Aug-23, near the south pole of the Moon.

The Mission profile

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-picture-1.jpg

The integrated module

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-picture-4.jpg

The Lander

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-picture-3.jpg

The Rover

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-picture-2.jpg

https://www.isro.gov.in/Chandrayaan3_New.html

Last edited by libranof1987 : 14th July 2023 at 11:04.
libranof1987 is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 13:26   #2
BHPian

re: ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!

How ISRO Built The Cryogenic Engine That Will Put Lunar Module In Orbit Around Earth ...

https://swarajyamag.com/science/chan...t-around-earth
vharihar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 14:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!

Chandrayaan 3 Live Stream on Youtube.

10 minutes to lift off.

antz.bin is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 14:55   #4
BHPian

My heart and wishes goes to ISRO people, the amount of hard work they have put into it just amazing, I have been regularly watching the Launch, and could resonate with the "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind".

ISRO has done wonders and put India into an entirely different orbit in the world space zone. I am overwhelmed with the happiness for the successful launch of Chandrayan 3.

Saw the speeches and thank you notes given by the mission executives, such raw joy and happiness, makes my day.

Last edited by udzgodfather : 14th July 2023 at 15:09.
udzgodfather is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 15:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

Textbook perfect launch by the LVM3 vehicle, placing Chandrayaan-3 into orbit.
libranof1987 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 15:45   #6
BHPian

I am proud of ISRO than anything in our country. They should increase funding many folds so that we dont have to do these slingshot maneuvers for ever. Failing spectacularly is what brings spectacular learnings especially in space technologies.

Wishing a happy landing on moon in days to come.
PreludeSH is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 16:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Learning form the partial failure of Chandrayaan-2 in 2019 ISRO has implemented several improvements in Chandrayaan-3 in order to ensure success this time.

* As Chandrayaan-3 is launched with just a lander and a rover it will use the Orbiter already hovering above the Moon launched with Chandrayaan-2 for its communications and terrain mapping requirements.

* The Chandrayaan-3 lander mission is equipped with “lander hazard detection and avoidance cameras” for coordination with the orbiter and the mission control during the landing process on the surface of the Moon. While Chandrayaan-2 had just one such camera, Chandrayaan-3 has been fitted with two such cameras.

* The Vikram lander will have stronger legs than the previous version. The landing velocity has been increased from 3m/second to 2m/second. That means even at 3m/sec, the lander will not crash or break (its legs).

* Another change is the addition of more fuel to Vikram so it has more capability to travel or handle dispersion. Further, as compared to Chandrayaan-2 which went hurtling down towards the identified 500m x 500 m landing spot on the lunar surface with the engines designed to reduce its velocity developing higher thrust than expected. This time, the area of landing has been expanded from 500m x 500m to four km by 2.5 km. Also, Vikram lander now has additional solar panels on other surfaces to ensure that it generates power no matter how it lands

* Finally, instead of a success-based design in Chandrayaan-2, the space agency opted for a failure-based design in Chandrayaan-3, focused on what all can fail and how to protect it and ensure a successful landing. By opting for a "failure-based design" for the second attempt ISRO team wants to ensure that the rover successfully lands on the moon even if some things go wrong

Source: https://www.businesstoday.in/latest/...556-2023-07-13

Time to achieve what we missed out in 2019

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-img_8841.jpeg

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-img_8842.jpeg

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-img_8845.jpeg

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-img_8864.jpeg

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-img_8872.jpeg

Last edited by SnS_12 : 14th July 2023 at 16:54.
SnS_12 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 18:12   #8
BHPian

What a liftoff.... perfect stuff.
Awesome job by ISRO.
Emotional moment when the rocket lift off happened, our whole office was glued to the big screen and a huge cheer when lift off happened.

Reminds me of the tintin comic and animated movie Destination moon: We are going to the moon whoohoo....
sajands is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 18:30   #9
BHPian

It was such a joy watching the fat boy lifting the Chandrayaan 3. Kudos to ISRO. All the central organisations should take a leaf out of ISRO and see how they can replicate this success within their areas of work.
Video below is shot from my friend's home. Chennaites has the advantage of seeing the rocket launches.

saisree is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 19:58   #10
Team-BHP Support

I guess folks from Chennai just had to be at their home/office roof to catch a glimpse of the launch:

It was a bit cloudy but we still managed to capture it. Colleagues from our shipyard got an even better view of it.

Wishing all the good folks at ISRO the best.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th July 2023 at 20:09.
Gannu_1 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 07:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Three cheers for ISRO. What a proud moment for our country. My heart swells with pride. If the moon landing goes off well that is a bonus for me. Just the fact that we are now sending our second rocket all the way to the moon represents such a leap of scientific progress.

One reason for ISROs progress is that it has reported directly to the PM from Nehru's days saving it from the bureaucracy we are infamous for. In 1969, as a boy, when I listened on the radio to the moon landings one of the adults in the room on that late late night remarked, in all sincereity, it would be impossible for India to ever develop this technology. I was too young to dwell on it. Gosh! we are so nascent in 1969. And here we are and that uncle of mine is still alive in his late 80s.

In 1975 when we put Aryabhatta into orbit with Soviet help this or a similar photo appeared in TIME magazine, which I used to read via a circulating library, commenting on our backwardness, carting satellite parts by bullock carts {western audience love this sort of thing}, why are they building satellites when they are the poorest nation on earth etc. I recall my anger as a 15-year old and shot off a letter to the editor of TIME, USA which they politely replied by snail mail {there was no email then} that they did not find fit to be published but thanked me for writing in! And here we are today with Chandrayan-3.

After Aryabhatta came SLV {satellite Launch Vehicle} in 1980, then ASLV {Augmented SLV}, then PSLV {Polar SLV} and GSLV {Geo-Synchronous SLV} over the years.

Thank you @libranof1987 for this thread to steal our hearts.

Jai Hind.

On a different topic to share with the young on Team BHP -- In 1976 TIME wrote a cover story on the Third World, using that term for the first time {I think} and thereafter the term became a part of our language - now the Global South. I had written a letter to the editor then stating that China & India were not third world but belonged to a unique 'fourth world' destined for a different path than Nigeria or Thailand {those were the two I referred to in that neatly typed letter} and that China & India would carve their own path different from the rest of the third world. Well all I got back was another polite decline with a thank you note. The point I am making is that even to a well read 16-year old in 1976 it was clear that these two nations, ancient civilizations, emerging from the crushing burden of colonial/quasi-colonial plunder were forging a different path. It used to baffle me and upset me as to why the Western and parts of Indian media could not see this. And even today so many of our upper class brethren and some Anglo-Saxon media can't see it. Sorry for the digression.
Attached Thumbnails
ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-isro-3.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 15th July 2023 at 07:53.
V.Narayan is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 08:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

The launches will be visible from the terraces in Chennai on clear days. Night launches even more easily. I have watched a few launches from my home or office terraces accidentally, but yesterday I was waiting to watch the Chandrayan 3, but no luck! The sky was overcast and this was all I could catch!
Attached Thumbnails
ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-chand.jpg  

Last edited by Gansan : 15th July 2023 at 08:37. Reason: Add pic
Gansan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 10:27   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
.....commenting on our backwardness, carting satellite parts by bullock carts {western audience love this sort of thing}, why are they building satellites when they are the poorest nation on earth etc. I recall my anger as a 15-year old....
This edited pic circulating in social media sums it well.

ISRO's Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands near the South pole of the Moon; the first country to do so!-whatsapp-image-20230715-10.23.49-am.jpeg
DicKy is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 14:27   #14
BHPian

While the effort of ISRO is commendable and praiseworthy , why could we not go the Saturn-V or Artemis route and go for a direct lunar orbital insertion?

Was there a cost-based consideration for this plan of a 44-day journey instead of a 3-day direct journey? Request that please DO NOT get offended, it is just a question out of curiosity in my silly mind
anand.shankar82 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 15:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

^^

1) Please don't compare ISRO moon mission with NASA's Apollo missions, which could go straight to the moon in a few days. India doesn't have a rocket that big even today. We have to optimize what we have got. There is no way this rocket can shoot straight for the moon. Even assuming it can, most of the payload will be fuel and little else, making the mission useless.

2) So India uses an alternate method by orbital maneuvers, making use of earth's gravity to raise speed and orbit gradually and then easing into moon's orbit. This is not ISRO's invention. It is a method known to all space scientists of all countries, it is just that others don't use it but ISRO does, considering the shoestring budget. This method will spend the least amount of fuel to reach the moon, but it will take some specific number of days. Similar method was used during the previous moon and Mars missions too.

3) Apollo missions were manned ones, they had to carry food, water, oxygen and waste management systems for the astronauts, apart from the moon orbiter, the moon lander and any other scientific payload. So it made sense to go and come back in the shortest possible time, because only so much food and water can be carried including any buffer. Chandrayan is an unmanned one way mission, so the number of days don't really matter.
Gansan is offline   (27) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks