Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2023, 08:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Govt could end 80 km/h speed limit for cabs on highways

I don't believe the law was as stupid as it is being made out to be. Speed is the biggest killer and poor driver road manners are the biggest contributors to this. Taxi and bus drivers in their haste to make time are often the most rash of drivers even within their speed limit. Time and time again, we see that in accidents within city limits where speed limits are rarely exceeded. Opening it up and adding more speed to dysfunction could be asking for trouble.
Arun Varma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 08:46   #17
BHPian

Hope there is some speed limit that is enforced.
In general Cab drivers drive far more rashly than private vehicles and that will not change. So the question is do we want them driving rashly at 80 kph or 120 kph.

Most of them also have poorly maintained cars and don't ensure seat belts are worn by their passengers. So probability of fatal accidents is definitely going to go up if this goes through.
CCRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 10:48   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
In a Madras HC case (V Kannan vs Union of India) the petitioners asked for SLD (speed governors) and the GoI argued against it but the HC passed a ruling the this was mandatory. This was then appealed and the SC upheld the verdict.
A SC committee on road safety (still active) also suggested this.
Quote:
If the GoI now needs to get rid of SLD's on yellow plates, it now needs to pass a law that allows it to do so in the legislative.

But right maybe we should see if some milord has family that makes these devices, that's logical though.
Edit - funnily enough the fact that this was on a sc ruling is mentioned right here in the summary of the link posted in the OP. Do people simply close their eyes to anything but the headline which usually are clickbait and then jump straight into the comments?
To clarify and simplify - being an honest citizen, I literally equate the government, bureaucracy, judiciary and law enforcement into 1 single entity. It keeps my life simpler and funnier this way. I feel the joke is on us, when we try to see these as different things, because they are only wasting our time, money and quality of life together . Smartly!

Of course I am not right, nor I expect anyone to agree with this viewpoint. I'm just saying that's how I look at it. Gives more chances of finding something funny at least. Peace.

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th April 2023 at 10:49.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 12:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
This is just absolutely untrue. Maybe please do some background reading on a subject or refrain from passing such sweeping judgements?

This was triggered by two factors, both driven by judicial judgements.

In a Madras HC case (V Kannan vs Union of India) the petitioners asked for SLD (speed governors) and the GoI argued against it but the HC passed a ruling the this was mandatory. This was then appealed and the SC upheld the verdict.

A SC committee on road safety (still active) also suggested this.
Thank you for this.
Isn't this then a case of judicial interference in the executive's power? Because the judiciary can't have the expertise on this.
Hasn't the court put a condition that this verdict will remain in force only until the executive addresses the problem in some act/rules ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks