Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2023, 14:07   #16
BHPian

Re: KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels

Much required info - "Ambari Utsav" current routes along with timing & fare details.
(PC - KSRTC Official Facebook Page).
Attached Thumbnails
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-auscheduclesbcd2.jpg  

dhrishikesh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 14:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Much required info - "Ambari Utsav" current routes along with timing & fare details.
(PC - KSRTC Official Facebook Page).
Will be interesting to see how this behemoth negotiates the ghats into the coast with its 15m length!
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 15:30   #18
BHPian

eI had booked Ambaari Utsav on 25th Feb for Blr-Hyd which was it's first trip for that bus. The bus was immaculate and nice. There is bit more head-room I felt compared to the normal Ambaari dream class.

In the Ambarri deluxe, the a/c vents near the feet were not open/close typ and were always open. In the new Utsav, it's also the open/close type similar to the one near the head. So that's one of my pet peeves addressed in Utsav!

One drawback was removing the 220v power supply socket and replacing it with normal USB-B type port. There is no USB-C port. I couldn't plug in my iPhone charger as there was no power socket, and the cable connects to the adapter through USB-C port which the bus doesn't support. Given that many phones, both Android and iPhones support USB-C, was surprised they didn't have at least one USB-C, instead of having both USB-B ports.

The mattress felt a bit more plush, the headrest/pillow felt like it had a bit more height compared to dream class, but was still wasn't of sufficient height for me. There seems to be bit more leg space too compared, though at most an inch.

Lost of LED lighting inside which looked nice. The luggage holder near the berths are now made of plastic and are bit more narrower compared to dream class, though they held by backpack well.

Bus initially felt like it was lugging, till we got out of Bangalore city. Once we were out of the city on the open highway, it felt more smooth.

Felt good to be on the inagural journey. There was no pomp or show, bus just loaded up and left like any other bus.
sanchari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 15:38   #19
BHPian

Thanks for showing the Volvo bus interiors as this has always been on my mind. Seriously had not expected such nice looks inside. Raring to go on overnight trip now.
sukhbirST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 16:36   #20
BHPian

Thanks for the great write-up! I’ll be definitely travelling in this soon!
What according to you guys is the best berth for a single occupant in this bus?
Old 28th February 2023, 19:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have never ridden in these buses. They sure look awesome. I did a Hyd-Shirdi trip in an SVR Volvo which was amazing. While some people are not happy that the speed has been locked at 80 kmph, I am actually surprised that they locked it at 80. I am happy too. The kind of acceleration these machines have is insane and there needs to be a tab on it. Since they mostly travel during night, the speed lock surely is more reassuring to passengers like me. I would definitely take a ride in one of these.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 02:57   #22
BHPian

very nice write-up @vigsom.
1. I dont get much sleep in buses even on overnight services. so I mostly pick seaters compared to sleepers. However the few times I have picked sleepers, the biggest issue I struggled with is, the berths are not evenly spaced, which means I cannot sit upright in one of the berths or both of them depending on how the bus is structured.
2. The other issue is the windows are not aligned with the berth positions. This doesnt provide for a clear view of the outside and with berth curtains closed, I feel very claustrophobic in this kind of a setup

From the photos, its very clear that point 2 above is not an issue at all in these new buses. However its not very clear whether point 1 is addressed sufficiently in these new buses. Anyone who traveled can comment on this?

Coming to KSRTC, having traveled in many RTCs across the country, I can say that they are the best in the Country as of now. Their buses are clean, well maintained, their staff are courteous and helpful for most part, their choice of hotels for refreshment breaks are good and well published while reserving and finally the comfort and facilities in the bus are top notch. They were the pioneering RTC in Volvo usage in early 2000s so much so that KSRTC staff proudly claim that Volvo's decision to setup their plant near Blr is due to the commitment of orders provided by KSRTC at that time in 2001. Their decision to use Volvo for city transport in Blr was revolutionary at that time. I still remember the first Volvo buses running from Majestic to Electronic city in the iconic 356 route.
One high point of KSRTC travel I vividly remember was my journey back from Shirdi to Blr on a sunday evening where I watched Wimbledon mens final live in a moving Airavat club class on my seat ICE screen. They have since removed this live service and individual seat ICE screens though due to some issues.
They also tried in-bus chemical toilets for sometime in the Airavat buses(I have seen one in a Blr - Chennai bus) and stopped them due to obvious reasons.
Its always a pleasure to travel in KSRTC Volvos on long distance routes. Hope they continue to maintain this innovative streak and standards going forward.
mchandra13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 07:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
The "aroma" from the washrooms if not well used/maintained will be a bigger problem for the passengers in the closed confines of the bus.
True. But if you can maintain a bus in good condition, you should be able to ensure a clean washroom too. It's better than women having to alight in shady motels in the middle of the night.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 17:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
The "aroma" from the washrooms if not well used/maintained will be a bigger problem for the passengers in the closed confines of the bus.
True. I was in a Phoenix to Las Vegas bound Greyhound bus overnight once and the smell was unbearable.
Old 1st March 2023, 19:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post

Generally KSRTC provides their top of the line services quite early to TN, at least Chennai as well to Tirupati due to the occupancy factor. Surprised to see these routes are not covered. May be is it due to the shorter route and time? How is the fare compared to regular Ambari sleeper?
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 19:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Generally KSRTC provides their top of the line services quite early to TN, at least Chennai as well to Tirupati due to the occupancy factor. Surprised to see these routes are not covered. May be is it due to the shorter route and time? How is the fare compared to regular Ambari sleeper?
Absolutely correct !
As per tradition, whenever any new buses come; KSRTC operates them on Bangalore-Shirdi & Bangalore-Tirupathi routes.
So, I am also amazed to see new buses plying on other routes which might be due to allocation of buses to BCD-2 depot instead of BCD-4 depot.
dhrishikesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 21:08   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank You all who posted responses to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
What is the positioning of the 9600s in the Volvo lineup with respect to say the B11R?
I am not sure if the B11R and the B8R (9600) are both being offered now. From what I've read, the 9600 is pricier (not sure though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuentinTino View Post
What according to you guys is the best berth for a single occupant in this bus?
In my view, the single upper berth is the way to go. Next would be the single lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
How is the fare compared to regular Ambari sleeper?
From what I've seen, the Utsav is priced 13% more than the Dream Class

Last edited by vigsom : 1st March 2023 at 21:09.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 21:41   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the awesome report Vigsom! Reminded me of my share of HYD-BLR overnighters when Volvo B8R used to be the norm! Scania and MB had just started to appear on the scene.

This coach looks very well appointed, and inviting. In the hands of KSRTC drivers, I have no doubt the journey will be supremely comfortable.

Out of curiosity, and also to update my info, I checked the fares for HYD-BLR.

Airavat Club Class ~1100
Ambari Dream Class ~1500
Ambari Utsav Sleeper ~1700
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 12:35   #29
BHPian

Even the 9400 (B11R) is truly remarkable and I had the opportunity to travel from Pune to Gokarna Cross and back in Canara Pinto's bus.

The coach is built by MG (yes, the same MG) and has the distinction of having the hump at the end.

The I-shift transmission was so smooth, one hardly felt any gear change or loss of power.
On our way from Pune to Gokarna Cross, there are many ghats which the behemoth easily navigated without any judder or jerk. The body roll was also well contained.

This being a private owned vehicle, the driver wasn't sparing any horsepower to fate.
It was overtaking high end luxury cars with so much ease that would put to shame the Formula One drivers.
At each stop, the driver and cleaner would open the engine bay and let the engine cool off.

I was very impressed by this beast and can only be happy to know that passengers will experience 9600s sheer comfort and smooth ride.

Last edited by turbospooler : 2nd March 2023 at 12:37.
Old 2nd March 2023, 12:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Out of curiosity, and also to update my info, I checked the fares for HYD-BLR.

Airavat Club Class ~1100
Ambari Dream Class ~1500
Ambari Utsav Sleeper ~1700
With that fare for Ambari Utsav, I would prefer Rajdhani Exp. that offers comfortable journey with meals included.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks