Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Have the service levels improved since Tata took over?
Yes 152 43.06%
No 201 56.94%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2024, 19:00   #271
BHPian

Re: Your review of Air India | 2 years since Tata took over

If this is so and a scheduled flight was indeed diverted, it’s extremely unethical and downright shameful on Air India’s part to do this to paying passengers. We all expect more from a reputed group like TATA.

Given AI’s struggles to get its house in order, this was the last thing management should have attempted for PR purposes. They first need to get their basics right and be consistent. Does only money power matter and not the functioning of the aviation industry and rights of its passengers ? With all the funds at BCCI disposal they could have booked business class on alternate airlines. It was not a life or death situation .

After seeing all this i would never book a flight on Air India either domestically or internationally.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th July 2024, 19:09   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder, was there no spare 777 or 787 available that could have been flown into Barbados from India? Rather than causing inconvenience to hundreds of passengers with confirmed ticket, this would have been an ethical option.
Old 4th July 2024, 19:27   #273
BANNED

https://x.com/ShuklaRajiv/status/1808159157251452975

Simple facts, life-threatening winds and storm lashed Barbados and nearby islands on Monday. The other major issue at hand was that the Hilton Hotel where the team was staying is near the coast and services at the hotel have also been impacted. Barbados country was in a state of lockdown since Sunday evening. The international airport was shut until further notice with water and electricity supply also getting disrupted. In such a scenario the priority would be obviously to get the team and the contingent out of there as soon as possible.
Old 4th July 2024, 20:19   #274
BHPian

Simple facts, that aren't too difficult to comprehend

Was Grantley Adams International Airport shutdown due to Hurricane Beryl - YES

When did Grantley Adam's International Airport reopen - July 2nd

When did the special charter flight AIC24WC land at Grantley Adams International Airport - July 2nd

When the team depart Grantley Adams International Airport- July 2nd

Was a special charter inconveniencing 200+ passengers needed for the team to travel on July2nd when airport operations were all normalized - NO

Did AirIndia break any rules - Yes. The DGCA also says the same .
jraj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th July 2024, 20:39   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a few facts on Barbados and hurricanes. My wife grew up in Barbados, we met in Barbados, we got married in Barbados. In the past 45 years I must have visited 70-80 times. We still owe propert in Barbados. My wife left Barbados when she went to university in the UK at the age of 18.,over the last five years she has spend about 3-4 month a year at Barbados to look after her mum who was very ill. So usually three trips a year every year for her.

Over the years we have experience, as you can imagine an number of hurricanes during our visits

In general Barbados is located too far south and east to be in the direct path of a hurricane. Have a look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...dos_hurricanes

The few hurricanes that make it out to Barbados are always reduced to tropical depression’s.

Even so with a hurricane passing close by, the island is pounded by high winds and lots and lots of rain. The island is made up of coral. So within hours of the rain stopping most of the flooding on the island tends to be completely gone. It is quite amazing. Water could be running a mater high in some streets. A few hours later it is gone completely.

Wind can and does some damage, but on the whole the island is pretty well prepared for hurricanes.

So Barbados usually has just a very short period of disruption due to hurricane alerts. It’s something everybody on the island takes seriously, but nobody worries too much. Happens every year several times. We have never had damage to our properties.

From all the islands out in the Caribbean, Barbados is probably the best to ride out a hurricane.

In fact that is how I met my wife. I was out on a freight ship in the Caribbean and we wanted to shelter for a hurricane. So we docked at nearby Barbados. I went ashore, met my wife and a year later we got married. Rest is history as they say.

Of course, non local folks have little to no knowledge on these matters. And might go to extreme lengths to leave the island prior or as quickly after the hurricane has past. In my experience, that is simply not necessary.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 4th July 2024 at 20:43.
Jeroen is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 4th July 2024, 21:26   #276
BHPian

DGCA rules clearly state no equipment from scheduled operation can be withdrawn to operate a non-scheduled charter. That is precisely why the DGCA has asked AI for the report.

It will not be that hard to see once the chest thumping and jingoistic fervor comes down.

Cheers!!!
jraj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 07:28   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

I am seriously getting concerned about the quality and maturity of Air India's top management and the lack of common sense and wisdom in their decisions.

Insiders at Air India, currently serving speak of "management gurus" from the large consultancy companies ruling the roost and experienced hands with knowledge of ground reality being ignored.

So many red flags we get to see all the time:-

- young and poorly trained new cabin crew;
- old and experienced cabin hands with real capability of handling an emergency have been shunted aside;
- zero upkeep {at least of the cabin} of existing fleet despite two years under Tata's - I simply don't buy the horse manure that they have no choice but to wait for the new fleet to start arriving. basic refurb of the cabins of their entire legacy fleet could have been completed in these 2+ years.
- flight cancellations a little too often
- And zero support for pax when their flights are cancelled at the last minute.

And now this cricket team charter fiasco. What happened is patently illegal in every way. There isn't a shred of doubt in my mind this was done to curry political brownie points with the BCCI and its political head honchos.

It is time for Campbell Wilson to go home.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 5th July 2024 at 07:30.
V.Narayan is offline   (66) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 08:27   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
DGCA rules clearly state no equipment from scheduled operation can be withdrawn to operate a non-scheduled charter. That is precisely why the DGCA has asked AI for the report.
I am sure Air India's response will be devoid on actual regulations and filled with nationalistic pride, standing with country, etc. Lets say we all agree with that.

I am sure there were other Indians stuck in the Windies (non cricket watching fans). Let them also provide a list of such folks who were evacuated on the same flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
- zero upkeep {at least of the cabin} of existing fleet despite two years under Tata's - I simply don't buy the horse manure that they have no choice but to wait for the new fleet to start arriving. basic refurb of the cabins of their entire legacy fleet could have been completed in these 2+ years.
Sir - You should have taken a look at the B787 that I flew with family to Copenhagen and back. That equipment was not worth to be used as a pig sty. And these guys are the flag carriers.
Naetik30 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 11:20   #279
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Taking control of a government organization through a corporate structure, especially at a significant cost and with undisclosed considerations, and hoping for quick success is typically a difficult feat to achieve.
  1. Managing large organizations, whether corporate or public sector undertakings, has been a challenge for India.
  2. The airline industry's dependence is extensive and intricate, such that one error can impact their reputation, considering that customers opt for the fastest mode of transportation globally.
  3. ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠I think Tata has acquired this because they were pressured by the government, and they are facing difficulties in managing it. Merely agreeing to new fleet deals is insufficient, operations must be optimized to the best level possible.
<<And zero support for pax when their flights are cancelled at the last minute.>>

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠Narayan Sir, it is not at all acceptable. AI will not be able to regain the passengers within their lifetime, no matter how much compensation they offer.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 6th July 2024 at 09:45. Reason: Typo
RGK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 12:16   #280
BHPian

I'm sorry but this is outrageous, constitution makes us all equal, we all work everyday for the betterment of this nation so do cricketers as well. Fair point they represent India at the world stage but we all sure do the same in our own ways. And those passengers stranded in US are also representatives of the country. No amount of heroics or team India is above the constitution and basic human decency. Absolutely a no no from Air India this was, they reduced baggage allowance plus this sure would be a forever good bye to the Tata Airlines
kaak009 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 12:22   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I am seriously getting concerned about the quality and maturity of Air India's top management and the lack of common sense and wisdom in their decisions.

Insiders at Air India, currently serving speak of "management gurus" from the large consultancy companies ruling the roost and experienced hands with knowledge of ground reality being ignored.

So many red flags we get to see all the time:-

- young and poorly trained new cabin crew;
- old and experienced cabin hands with real capability of handling an emergency have been shunted aside;
- flight cancellations a little too often
- And zero support for pax when their flights are cancelled at the last minute.

And now this cricket team charter fiasco. What happened is patently illegal in every way. There isn't a shred of doubt in my mind this was done to curry political brownie points with the BCCI and its political head honchos.

It is time for Campbell Wilson to go home.
I'm absolutely sure the grit and determination isnt there for providing a better customer experience. Myself have faced hair in the food situation at Air India recently, I chose not to make a hue and cry on social media about it. But even after the fact I pointed it to the air hostess about the same there wasnt even a courteous sorry.

While the entire global airline industry sans US is moving to provide better and comfortable experience we here are struggling between a purple giant which provides cardboard seats and a red dinosaur which makes the journey a living nightmare

Have asked my travel team not to book me on AI anymore
kaak009 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 12:45   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Whether it was correct for the airline to cancel a scheduled flight and use that to bring the cricket team back, from a purely practical angle, there is no chance any action will be taken.

The newspapers have already reported that the team hotel was running out of food and water. Whether that is true or not (would an upscale hotel in an area that is used to seeing such extreme weather conditions really be that unprepared?), that narrative is now firmly established. That coupled with the high level at which the political pressure must have been exerted on AI, and the sheer worship for a winning cricket team in our country, there is no way any action will be taken.

The cricket team is blameless, someone arranged a flight, they took it. I'm sure if they knew that a regular flight had been diverted and passengers inconvenienced, they might have had an opinion. But the best part is the people asking questions about this flight will now be painted as "against the team", or with that old established favorite "anti-national", while the real brains behind the decision will not be affected.

But it's good that people are asking questions, at least the authorities will think twice the next time and use this option only in case of a real emergency evacuation involving ordinary Indian citizens who really don't have other options.

Last edited by am1m : 5th July 2024 at 12:47.
am1m is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 12:55   #283
Senior - BHPian

When modern day kings and queens are making a beeline to appease the cricket administrators, how can one fault the erstwhile and emasculated Maharaja of Indian skies for bending over backwards to please the high and mighty?

What is all this brouhaha being raised about a minor inconvenience of standing up two hundred odd passengers in Newark?

Had the passengers paid for their tickets from their own pockets, their angst might have had some rationale; had they been waited upon by lakhs of expectant strangers ready to celebrate their success, they might have had reason to be irate; if they had the good sense of not trusting this behemoth of an airline, they would have had the right to protest and demand answers; had they been showered with one hundred and twenty five crore tax exempt rupees on them, the passengers left behind could have raised hell.

Sadly, they were just normal immigrants and tourists whose schedules could be tampered with and itineraries disturbed, at will. Each of them will now be enshrined in the books of Indian cricketing history as patriots whose sacrifice enabled the national cricket team to dine and whine at the will of it's puppeteers.

Good job Air India, very good job. Repeat the drama a few more times and you can ensure a bright and successful future - for your competitors.
dailydriver is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 13:54   #284
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
On the lighter note, the millionaires of the ICT would have been captive to the famed Air India hospitality for some 16 hours - torn seats, bland entertainment (if the screens work), stinking loos and a shaking juddering carcass like a roadways coach.
It was an ex-Delta 777 & in much better shape than their very own 777s! Indian Team was lucky in that sense. They ideally would have had 2 stopovers to reach India. Charter Flights are nothing new for the team though, they travel by charter all the time. Just that this time they probably left behind a mayhem at EWR for the scheduled passengers.
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 14:08   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
It was an ex-Delta 777 & in much better shape than their very own 777s! Indian Team was lucky in that sense. They ideally would have had 2 stopovers to reach India. Charter Flights are nothing new for the team though, they travel by charter all the time. Just that this time they probably left behind a mayhem at EWR for the scheduled passengers.

Well you can get a new 777 into Air India, but you really can't take Air India out of that 777.
Teams of course do charters all the time in tournaments, but none of those charters are Air India. During the 50 over world cup last year, those charters were Vistara. Just to drive home that point again, as soon as the team got down from Air India yesterday, their next flight to Mumbai was Vistara!

All for good reason I'm sure.
dust-n-bones is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks