Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 16:15   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Airport Experiences | Small airport (Tiruchirappalli) vs Larger one (Hyderabad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
On the other hand I remember long lines at Jabalpur airport in 2008 (i think) even though there were only about 4 flights a day there! The reason was this absolute idiot in charge of security check who took his job waay to seriously. Insisted on examining almost every bag physically and pulling stuff out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
Jabalpur for example; the security check was NEVER done within a reasonable timeframe (at least during 2008-2011 when I had travelled a number of times).
We must have run in to the same Mahan vyakti who was single-handedly keeping that airport safe in 2008 (I realize airport security is important, but I think everyone has run in to airport security staff who just seem to take some sort of pleasure in delaying everyone!)

On the good side, smaller airports offer some interesting experiences. Again in 2008, had spent the night at Jabalpur and had a morning flight. So being used to Bangalore, arrived at the airport about 2 hours before the flight to find it...locked! I mean there was actually a lock on the main door! Waited around and a guy on a bike came up and unlocked the door to let me in after some time! Till the cleaning staff arrived, it was just me and Yana Gupta (cardboard cut-out, KF was still flying back then ) all alone in the airport!

Also remember as a teen, cycling to the back gate of the HAL airport in Bangalore and watching the planes take off at night with my friends. Those days security was really, really lax and we were literally a stone's throw from being able to access the area where some planes were parked, separated by just a gate.

Last edited by am1m : 25th July 2022 at 16:25.
am1m is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 16:22   #17
BHPian

Re: Airport Experiences | Small airport (Tiruchirappalli) vs Larger one (Hyderabad)

Quote:
We must have run in to the same Mahan vyakti who was single-handedly keeping that airport safe in 2008
Looks like it! Arriving to a locked airport must have been very amusing. At least everything else was quite simple over there (baggage claim, etc). I too have fond memories with Kingfisher and their ATR-72s from Delhi to Jabalpur and back (it was nostalgic seeing them parked unused in the Delhi airport premises for a few years after they were shut down).

Airports controlled by the Airports Authority of India have usually been pleasantly smooth in my experience by the way, since procedures are usually standardised.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 18:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post

Small yet significant information on the Tiruchirappalli Airport

For the uninitiated, Tiruchirappalli Airport in Tamil Nadu has apparently been functioning since pre-Independence times to cater to a mail service to/fro Colombo. Commercial flights started after independence. From what I know, there was a time in the 80s when this Airport would serve three commercial jet planes a day of the then Air Lanka to Colombo, but would have just one Indian Airlines Avro HS748 service to Chennai a day. Even today, this airport services more international flights than domestic - of the approx. twenty flights a day, six are domestic connecting Chennai, Hyderabad and Bengaluru, while the rest are international, connecting Colombo, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah. Some of the international services are daily while some of the Air India Express ones are on fewer scheduled days in every week.
Thanks for another lovely thread. Yes, Trichy airport was a customs airport even during eighties and become a proper international airport, few years ago. Only Chennai and Coimbatore were the other international airports in TN. In comparison, Madurai though bigger town was still just a domestic airport and now I guess become a customs airport.

In the nineties, it used to have a lone night flight to Gulf and the airport will be locked once the flight leaves. During those times, some airline staff from Madurai will take additional duty to cater this international flight from Trichy. Colombo - Trichy is an old route during day time and was famous for 'Kuruvis' aka small time smuggling. I am not sure whether it still exists. In the early 2000s, Air Asia began operating Trichy to Malaysia and Singapore and due to cheaper airfare it was a crowd puller. Though it mainly catered to the migrant workers from Thanjavur, Pudukkottai and adjoining areas, there were few tour operators who were running SE Asia tours. We used to joke that Trichy airport serves only the places where Gopal Tooth powder is sold (Gopal Tooth powder is from south TN and was famous in Tamil areas of South Asia)
thanixravindran is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 18:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Colombo - Trichy is an old route during day time and was famous for 'Kuruvis' aka small time smuggling. I am not sure whether it still exists.
Yep. Infact, Sri Lankan airlines has one of the most extensive networks to South India and has flights to all the four international airports in Tamil Nadu - Chennai, Coimbatore, Trichy and Madurai and three airports in Kerala - Kochi, Kozhikode and Trivandrum. It's popular among people flying from the Gulf to Tamil Nadu or Kerala who connect in Colombo due to relatively cheap tickets (but not sure after the current Sri Lanka crisis).
dragracer567 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 11:20   #20
BHPian

Smaller airports have their own charm. Trivandrum Airport is a good example, it's a nice, decently big airport with more than enough facilities, no rush in baggage counters, no rush in security check-ins, you always get a place to sit and relax, everything we need.
I live in Delhi right now and I know how early I have to leave the house just to make sure that I don't miss my flight, I almost have to leave 5-6 hours early before the scheduled flight time. The rush in baggage counters and security check-ins in IGIA is unexplainable. It's basically what India would look like if the complete Chinese population is brought here!!
In the time I get my baggage dropped off at the counters, I could have completed all my procedures and sit comfortably in Trivandrum airport, that's the amount of mental torture you have to face in the country's largest airport.
But of course, once all the procedures are done and I finally get to sit on the flight, that's when the torture pays off! Being an avgeek, there is nothing that excites me more than seeing huge aircrafts parked beside aerobridges, some flights taking off, some landing, some being taxied onto the runways. Those things are a treat to my eyes!!
It's big time now for GMR to expand the airport, a new runway is under construction. Anyways, once the Jewar airport becomes functioning, IGIA would be relieved from too much rush.
It is a really good write-up buddy!

Last edited by TechnoBloop : 26th July 2022 at 11:24.
TechnoBloop is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 11:26   #21

Quote:
On the good side, smaller airports offer some interesting experiences. Again in 2008, had spent the night at Jabalpur and had a morning flight. So being used to Bangalore, arrived at the airport about 2 hours before the flight to find it...locked! I mean there was actually a lock on the main door! Waited around and a guy on a bike came up and unlocked the door to let me in after some time! Till the cleaning staff arrived, it was just me and Yana Gupta (cardboard cut-out, KF was still flying back then ) all alone in the airport!
I've had multiple such experiences. My previous job required at least 8-10 flights a month, and it was common to see smaller airports in MP, Bihar/Jharkhand and a few more cities - locked up with an actual lock when arriving a couple of hours before flight.
Not so fond memories of Air India being delayed by 3-4 hours regularly though.
fatman2022 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 11:39   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

In a city like Mumbai where it could take you over an hour just to reach to the airport where you spend a few more hours before you board a flight the feeling and relief of landing at a much smaller airport is next to none.

The smallest airport I have flown too or flown out of is Jamnagar Airport in Gujarat. You just get off the plane and take a few steps and you enter the main building collect your luggage and few steps more and you enter the car. So effortless and efficient.

Airport Experiences | Small airport (Tiruchirappalli) vs Larger one (Hyderabad)-01775114d6bc4d64901db64964f63a1d.jpeg

This airport and its surroundings/equipments provide you with a minimalistic experience and really gives you a feeling that you have traveled back in time.

Airport Experiences | Small airport (Tiruchirappalli) vs Larger one (Hyderabad)-f76cf9c59a094b84b7776fb3db970caf.jpeg
SnS_12 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
However, discipline is just not exercised after the aircraft has landed - people tend to get up and grab their bags even before the captain's announcement to disarm slides. I do hope this gets sorted out.
This is a global disease. Even in the US, Europe, and other Asian countries, people tend to queue up immediately after the flight lands, and still taxing.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Absolutely. And probably the only airport in the country (as far as I'm aware) that is shared between commercial operators and the Navy.
Not really. There are others as well - Vizag for one..
handsofsteel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:33   #25
BHPian

The most hassle free airport I have used is Koh Samui in Thailand. Very relaxed tropical resort atmosphere. No taking off shoes, belts etc. You just walk through the door metal detector (no frisking) and wait in the departure lounge. A cute cart-like bus will pick you up from the lounge to the aircraft. The lounge has no glass or cement wall restricting access to the airside (doesn't mean you should try it

Name:  3kohsamuiairport.jpeg
Views: 593
Size:  34.9 KB
Malyaj is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:43   #26
BHPian

Not allowing autorickshaws inside the airport terminals for drop off/pick up is a stupid rule. Its there in Chennai/Bangalore too. I feel it is an elitist rule and discriminatory. What do the authorities who lay down this rule think? That people using Auto Rickshaws don't/cannot afford to fly? If its a security issue is it more likely that an intruder will take an Auto Rickshaw to enter the airport than a cab?

The airport management should create a separate bay for Auto Rickshaws at airports and also have a pre paid counter like in Railway Stations. This will be an added revenue for the airport. Getting around in an Auto is most convenient when you do not have a lot of bags distance is not too far and its cost effective too. After Covid I prefer to take an Auto over a cab every time as the former has the best ventilation.
sameer sultan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 13:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoBloop View Post
Smaller airports have their own charm. Trivandrum Airport is a good example, it's a nice, decently big airport with more than enough facilities, no rush in baggage counters, no rush in security check-ins, you always get a place to sit and relax, everything we need.
I have one grouse with Trivandrum Airport. There is no proper tea or coffee available at the departure terminal anymore. Just machine coffee, and dip tea were available when I was there in April This seems to be a post-pandemic situation and hopefully, things will improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Not allowing autorickshaws inside the airport terminals for drop off/pick up is a stupid rule. Its there in Chennai/Bangalore too.
In Bangalore at least the airport is too far away for anyone to use the auto for practical purposes. On another note, I feel we as a nation should start thinking about phasing out autos altogether. They are crude contraptions that are noisy, pollute a lot and offer no safety. Instead of a sudden ban, there should be a well-thought-out obsolescence plan.
Jaguar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 13:33   #28
BHPian

I prefer small airports anyday. As a frequent flier, you appreciate the amount of time you save at these tiny airports compared to the 'efficient' large ones. I absolutely love flying to Belagavi airport. The one at Jaisalmer is also good. And so are the many other ones all over the country. I even prefer smaller aircraft like the Embraer's and the ATRs. Boarding and de-boarding is much quicker.

The main advantage is during check-in: the counters don't close 1 hour before the flight. You can go in much later because all they have to do is anyways manually load your baggage into the flight. No delays due to long winding automated baggage handling systems.
The main disadvantage is the pre check-in X-ray scanning of your check-in luggage. They are particularly strict but they might just help you find long forgotten items in your travel pouches which have travelled the world with you but suddenly become a hazard on this tiny little airport

One of the smallest airports I've been to was in Arvidsjaur, Sweden. It had a cute, tiny wooden terminal and had a wonderful charm about it. Felt almost like a sauna with its warm wood paned walls when it was -15 degrees Celsius outside.

I even like medium sized airports like Aurangabad, Dehradun, Ludhiana, Nagpur, etc. They have slightly better facilities (not necessarily though) while having similar conveniences.
jalsa777 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 13:40   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Not allowing autorickshaws inside the airport terminals for drop off/pick up is a stupid rule.
I can think of some reasons.

1. If you can afford air travel, you can also afford taxi travel.
2. Image of an Airport is lost since Auto's are associated with low cost travel.
3. Air ports are usually outside the city and Auto's aren't the best method to travel beyond 10-15 kms.
4. The frequency of planes landing in smaller cities are not viable enough for Autos to stand there for prolonged time waiting for Savari.

Not to mention that Auto's overcharge, the drivers Unionize and create a ruckus loitering around.

I have been to many smaller airports like Indore, Hubbali, Coimbatore, Madurai, Ranchi and it was quite a pleasant experience.

Last edited by srini1785 : 26th July 2022 at 13:44.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 13:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

The bigger airports spoil you with the lounges, shopping, eating and the hugeness combined with the mad passenger movements. The moment you land at a smaller airport you are brought back to reality with no lounges, small spaces, limited eateries and laid back people movement. Atleast some of the cities having smaller airports are connected to the flight grids. Couple of such airports I visited are Mangalore, Rajkot and Jamnagar. Jamnagar one was a real spectacle. The smallest one I have seen till date. But well maintained. Technologically not advanced (couldn't believe Ambani's private jet lands here) but self sufficient.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks