Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2022, 23:23   #61
BHPian

Re: Why are HP, BP & Indian Oil pumps more popular for truckers than Nayara & Shell?

Well I tried Shell petrol when I was in dire need. 1.0 TSI guzzled the fuel like a thirsty dog. Does not happen with PSU fuel.
I love their maintained utility / washrooms though.

Also I have seen Reliance to have a better product specially in Gujarat and Rajasthan. Best FE I ever got was on a Reliance fuel from GJ.

IOCL / HP / BP is a hit or miss. Last BP fill of regular petrol kicked knocking sound in my vehicle. I have now switched to XP 95 completely.

Worst quality fuel from PSU in Northern India. Shell is unavailable here.
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 23:24   #62
BHPian

Re: Why are HP, BP & Indian Oil pumps more popular for truckers than Nayara & Shell?

Looks like the fuel station fraud activities are getting out of hand. This is a link to this week's article in the The Hindu specifically calling out Karnataka Fuel pumps on fraud. Here's the link. https://www.deccanherald.com/amp/sta...a-1114785.html
Attached Thumbnails
Why are HP, BP & Indian Oil pumps more popular for truckers than Nayara & Shell?-a9d2a57c65d54aa7a70de5997d1bfb39.jpeg  

vandemanw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 23:46   #63
BHPian

There is no difference between fuel supplied by Shell or any PSU Refinery.Shell sources its fuel from Indian refiners only.Does any one think that they transport finished products to India?!!!Even shell is sourcing ATF from MRPL.There is JV between shell and MRPL for supplying ATF (Shell MRPL Aviation Fuels and Services).
Normally all shell fuel stations in Karnataka will be dispensing fuels made by MRPL/HPCL.
das_ren_auto is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 04:57   #64
BHPian

I had also moved back from Shimla after almost 19 months and had Alto K10 when I went back to hometown. I have been living in JP Nagar 8th Phase for 5 years now (if my absence from the flat for 19 months is also taken into count). At that point of time we did not have any Petrol Pump near by and the nearest was Shell/Indian Oil on Bannerghatta Road.
Then just 300 meters from my home, Essar Petrol Pump opened and used to fill it from there.

Switch to Present, Hatchback upgraded to Jeep (Thar 2022). Like others would have noticed, I too saw a lot of new roads or I can refer to it as progress. Since,Indian Oil also opened up their Petrol Pump which is another 200 meters (total half a kilometer from my place), I have started using that Petrol Pump now plus their staff is super friendly.

I have used Shell V/XP95 Petrol/Normal as well and would agree with the forum members. Shell is not worth the price now.
Normal Shell Petrol is for 110 approx and XP95 is for 106 INR (Better to go for XP95). Normal is for 101 so I either use XP95 or normal petrol from Indian Oil (sometimes they will not have stock for XP95 because the demand is not that much in my area). The difference in mileage is minimal across all these High Octane Petrol, at least I have not seen a huge difference for myself.
swunkjyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 09:00   #65
BHPian

Prices as on today..

Diesel in Bangalore is INR 21.54 expensive at Shell!

Prices from:
https://www.shell.in/motorists/shell...-in-india.html
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...l-price/diesel
Attached Thumbnails
Why are HP, BP & Indian Oil pumps more popular for truckers than Nayara & Shell?-shell.png  

Old 6th June 2022, 09:32   #66
BHPian

First of all, it is really interesting to note that many among us closely observing in detail, how their engine/vehicle performs after each fill. Though I have kept a note on fuel related stuff in my own car, I was never able to make out any significant difference after filling up from various fuel stations.

From my records I observed that it depends on what was nearby. For instance, in Goa it was IOC, in Bangalore it was Essar with regular prices (now they changed it into Nayara, with Rs.2 higher than the regular prices), and in Highways, it was mainly BP with a couple of instances of Essar, Reliance, Shell, HP and IOC. Below is the fueling map of mine.

Why are HP, BP & Indian Oil pumps more popular for truckers than Nayara & Shell?-fuelmap.png

Mileage would entirely depend on where I drive. I categorized roads into 3 zones - Highways, Fast cities and Slow cities. Goa was more like a fast city and Bangalore/Chennai were slow cities. Fuel from the same Essar pump gave me both the worst (11.2 km/L) and best (20.66 km/L) mileages in Bangalore and in highways, respectively. Regarding Shell fuel, I had used once I was almost dry for a full tank - and it gave me a mileage of 19.69 km/L - mostly driving in highways and in fast city. Then once I used Shell to top up my tank while exiting KA - therefore mixing it with IO fuel already in my tank - giving an FE of 20.69 km/L. All measurements by tank-tank method.

However, out of all these fills, there was one place on the border of KA - an IOC pump - which had wrong digits. It was about Rs. 20 off for 36 L of fuel! Have a picture of the pump taken during the fill too.
Why are HP, BP & Indian Oil pumps more popular for truckers than Nayara & Shell?-img_20220424_141817.jpg

Last edited by Goandiaries : 6th June 2022 at 09:36.
Goandiaries is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 09:42   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
At least I haven't seen any HP COCO pump in Pune city limits.
That is because HPCL is very bad at advertising their COCO pumps.

Sample this

HPCL COCO in Madhavaram - The COCO sign is so out of sight, you won't figure its a COCO unless you enter the pump or troll Google Maps POI photos.

versus

IOCL COCO in Bijapur or Maraimalainagar IOCL COCO with the massive COCO board facing the traffic.

Vadipatti BPCL COCO or Waluj BPCL COCO with the prominent Ghar Dhaba sign

The only HPCL COCO that has a prominent COCO sign is the Shoolagiri HPCL COCO.

Last edited by narayans80 : 6th June 2022 at 09:44.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 10:03   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poornavakra View Post
On the way back to Bangalore from Pondy, I didnt want to fill diesel anywhere but Shell and drove all the way till Vellore. Looking at the price difference of 17, instead of 40 liters I got just 10 liters to get to bangalore comfortably. Since the Central Govt had cut the price of Diesel, I enquired why there is no price reduction. Staff asked me to talk to a customer care number on the banner which seemed to have been opened only to handle pricing query. Shell expecting us to call a number to enquire about the price was a big turn off for me.

We have a IOC COCO bunk just 2 km from my home and next to it is Shell. Always went to shell but after looking at this 17 rupees difference, we filled up at IOC and decided to switch to IOC for future refuelling too.
Shell diesel pricing is insane now! Switched to a nearby HP pump which sells @ ~87Rs/Ltr.
Shell fuel pricing in the below link:
https://www.shell.in/motorists/shell...-in-india.html
Old 6th June 2022, 10:34   #69
BHPian

I had to fill Diesel in emergency at a Shell Pump near Bellandur, Bangalore in my Carnival and they only had Power or something. Since then, I am feeling a noticeable drop in performance - pulling power has drastically reduced. I spoke to my SA in Kia and he said that there's no need for Power and it is best to used normal Diesel. I will be going back to my neighbourhood Indian Oil pump next time.
vivekshukla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 10:42   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
That is because HPCL is very bad at advertising their COCO pumps.
Yes, that could very well be the case, but even if there are such camouflaged HP COCO pumps , my guess is those would be outside Pune municipal limits, out on the highways.

Word about a COCO pump gets around pretty fast and at least I (or any of my several wanderer friends) haven't heard of any new ones in the recent past. The only COCO pumps in Pune city that I know of belong to BPCL and IOC. I could be wrong though, and would definitely patronize a HP COCO if there was one in Pune.

What makes the lack of a HP COCO pump in Pune even stranger is that they have a H-U-G-E storage and distribution terminal just 15-20 kms from Pune on Solapur road, from where they supply fuel to the whole of Western Maharashtra.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 6th June 2022 at 10:58.
comfortablynumb is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 11:47   #71

From experience at least, the Ford's 1.4 Duratorq TDCI engine (in the Figo) loves normal Shell diesel. Have noticed that the engine runs much quieter after reaching optimal temperature, petrol-engine like idling, and pulls even better at low rpm. The fuel efficiency remained the same however.
Old 6th June 2022, 12:47   #72

As many has stated, fuel adulteration is a thing of past in urban areas and still prevalent in rural areas where the checking / monitoring is less or totally missing. But the impurities in fuel is the one which bothers me. So i fuel my car only in busy PSU pumps. More the crowd, more volume turnover and less fuel impurities. Normally the impurities gets mixed during fuel transportation and storing. So for me fueling is always in busy PSU pumps .
Old 6th June 2022, 12:53   #73
BHPian

I used to only refuel at Shell. However given the recent price drop i thought that Shell would have a similar price drop. However they are selling normal diesel at ~104 and the other variant @ ~109. While PSU pumps are selling at ~89. Doesn't makes much sense to put shell now. Even if the PSU station is under delivering diesel still it's around 20% cheaper.
Old 6th June 2022, 13:33   #74
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poornavakra View Post
I just checked the date of refuelling on my shell app. I travelled back on 24th, so it was very much after the announcement. I had done a tank full on 17th in Bangalore and the price was around 104 and on 24th May at Vellore it was 102.9. Was expecting a price cut of around 7 but it was just about 1 rupee. Sorry, I went off the topic. Closing it.
Could the price difference be due to different tax rates in Karnataka & Tamil Nadu?
AFAIK similar diparity is present beteween Karnataka and Maharashtra also - petrol is cheaper but diesel is expensive in KA compared to MH !!
Old 6th June 2022, 14:34   #75
BHPian

I am a regular at Shell pumps as I feel the quality of fuel is consistent with them. During my recent visit to bangalore I got to try the xtragreen diesel, not much difference apart from more relaxed engine at cruising speeds. Recently when I went back to my regular shell pump for refueling I found the prices to be same even after govt reduction. When enquired the pump manager told that the price difference between Shell regular diesel and Indian oil diesel stands at 17 rupees. The sell at the price as sold by oil marketing companies to them and cannot match prices offered by bp/hp & iocl. I went to iocl coco pump filled & diesel there was 94 rupees. 17 rupees is too much a premium for piece of mind
DieselWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks