Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2021, 19:48   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one

Introduction

This is a travel account cum review of my second long distance train journey in 2021; by a classy looking Humsafar Express which was not only beautiful on the outside and pleasantly clean inside, but also a rocket on the rails. These posts are yet another attempt by me to help readers re-live their old memories of train travel and also share my great experiences en route.

Safety

Being a safety practitioner, I exercised total safety while taking pictures or filming short clips - while the train was in motion, all pics were shot away from the doors of the coaches OR from inside the coaches. Only when the train had stopped did I shoot pictures from near the doors. I also donned a mask for the entire 26 hours except for meal and tea times.

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-humsafar_exterior1.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-humsafar_dusk_pudi.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 31st October 2021 at 22:16.
vigsom is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 19:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one

Why did I choose the Humsafar Express from among options?

After a brief trip down south in an emergency, I wanted to keep my travel plans open since work schedules required a possible extended stay down south. I had three options:

1. Book a flight – most convenient, but most mundane
2. Travel the conventional route – Chennai to Gujarat via Vijayawada by the old reliable guard – the Navajivan Express
3. Travel a more exciting and shorter route – via Pune and outer Mumbai

I chose option 3 for multiple reasons:

1. I hadn’t travelled the Renigunta – Pune – Mumbai bypass sector in several years
2. wanted to check out how travel on this sector has changed over the last 2 decades
3. longed to travel the Khandala – Karjat ghat section during daytime

While browsing options, I discovered that the weekly Chennai – Ahmedabad Humsafar Express had been re-introduced post Covid-19 disruption with a convenient evening departure, plus this train had very low stops – just 14 stops in a 1,600 km journey. To add to the convenience, there were over 300 berths available so that would mean no jostling for space in overcrowded coaches.

Risks of choosing a weekly express

I evaluated the risks of travelling a weekly express, as such trains can easily be relegated to low priority in the event of track maintenance, mega blocks, loco failure and the like. However, I found that this train had a good track record of keeping time, plus I could afford unforeseen delays, hence decided to go with this option.

Travel plan sealed

The ticket on the Humsafar Express was priced approx. 20% over the other two trains on the same route, but then I expected the coaches to be better with greater conveniences. I booked my ticket without any fuss, got a berth of my choice, and looked forward to travelling the route to outer Mumbai and beyond, and also experience what the Humsafar coaches had to offer.

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-humsafar_inside.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-loopingtowardskopar.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 31st October 2021 at 22:20.
vigsom is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 20:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

History of the Humsafar Express

Humsafar Express trains were launched sometime in end-2016 in a single class configuration- sporting ONLY “premium” AC 3-Tier LHB coaches. Humsafar Expresses were no track scorchers, but meant to provide more conveniences over regular LHB AC 3-Tier coaches. The train that I travelled in – 09219 Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express was launched in mid-2017 and somewhere down the years, began sporting a few sleeper coaches too. The rake now sports ten AC 3-Tier coaches and six Sleeper Class coaches.

My first experience with a Humsafar Express

My only journey by a Humsafar this far was an overnight Vadodara – Pune sometime in end-2018. This was a classic case of boarding the train at night, going to sleep, and alight the next morning – nothing more than the routine, but this one promised to be a lot different.

Preparations for the long haul

Like my earlier long distance journey earlier this year, I had decided to pack food for the entire journey and this is what I ended up taking:

• Day1 dinner – tomato rice with some chaas
• Day2 breakfast – idlis coated with the signature dal-chilli powder mixed in til oil
• Day2 lunch – more idlis
• Buffer –four slices of ghee toast, two apples

Getting to Chennai Central was no big deal – I was expecting traffic snarls but was pleasantly surprised to see low traffic – probably because it was approx. 3pm.

At Chennai Central

I reached Chennai Central approx. an hour before scheduled departure of my train, just to accommodate unforeseen delays in traffic. Entry to the station was uneventful. The main waiting area wasn’t too crowded, plus the arrivals-departures display had given way to a newer one.

The old display
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-chennacentral_olddisplay.jpg

New display
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-chennaicentral_waitingarea.jpg

My train was allocated platform #10 and this was displayed just 25 mins ahead of departure - that meant walking from the main waiting area at around where platform#3 was to platform#10. The train looked hot in the nice blue livery, and once I got in, I was pleasantly surprised to see the coach very neat.

Humsafar Express - exterior
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-humsafar_exterior1.jpg
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-humsafar_exterior2.jpg

Humsafar Express - inside
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-humsafar_inside.jpg

The coach occupancy was no more than 30%; although some passengers found themselves all booked towards a few bays in the coach, ample free bays meant one could actually go and sit elsewhere and indulge in nature-gazing.

Last edited by vigsom : 31st October 2021 at 22:54.
vigsom is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 20:14   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

First impressions

Once the train was on the move, I began exploring the coach and the various features this train had to offer

• Classy on the outside – resembles a royal train
• Blazingly fast
• Reading lights for each berth
• The side lower berth has a cushioned table to place over the folded seats and make it a proper berth rather than a compromise
• CCTV cameras
• Bio toilet
• Jaquar taps on the washbasins
• Neat washrooms with the health faucet and adequate tissue
Urinal inside the Western loo with a sensor controlled flush
• Diaper changing table for babies

Dislikes

• AC in the LHB coaches gets too cold and there is no coach attendant to monitor and change the settings

What was missing

• No bedsheets and blanket post Unlock 1.0
• No curtains - the coach looked better illuminated and more airy without the curtains

Here are pics from inside the Humsafar Express coaches.

The "original" Humsafar coach with colourful upholstery - this was where I was booked

Humsafar coach in conventional upholstery - the coach behind mine
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-humsafar_conventionallivery.jpg

Individual charging points and reading light for each berth
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-individualchargingpoints.jpg

Pics of the washroom
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-humsafar_washroom1.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-humsafar_washroom2.jpg

Nappy changing table in one of the washrooms - useful feature but unused and poorly kept
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-humsafar_washroom_changingtable.jpg

Urinal with a sensor controlled flush in the Western loo
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-humsafar_wcnpisspot.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 31st October 2021 at 22:51.
vigsom is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 20:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Riding the Humsafar – Day1

Once we were out of Chennai Central, the first view was of the Basin Bridge Junction, a station that no express train stops at, but a station that used to be spoken of in olden days to announce the arrival of the train at Chennai. “Basin Bridge vandachhu” (we’ve reached Basin Bridge) used to be heard in the cabin early in the morning on overnight trains coming in from Coimbatore, Bangalore, Hyderabad and even in the N-S Badshah- Tamil Nadu Express from New Delhi. On the outbound journey from Chennai, Basin Bridge is the junction post which lines separate – one towards Arakkonam Jn.(east) and another towards Gudur Jn.(north).

Basin Bridge Junction
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-basinbridge_1.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-basinbridge_2.jpg

Here are some videos to help you experience the train from inside. There was negligible outside noise in the coach – NVH was well in control.

Cruising past the Integral Coach Factory (ICF) area outside Chennai

Skipping Arakkonam Junction – this is a rare event as most express trains stop here.

Branching off towards Renigunta Jn.
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-branchoff_towardskatpadi.jpg

A station with a rather long name – VenkataNarasimhaRajuVaripeta. I didn’t realise we were approaching this station so all I could manage was a quick grab
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta.jpg

Random pics on the Arakkonam - Renigunta sector
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-random_beforenagari.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-random_afternagari.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-randompic_1.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-randompic_beforerenigunta1.jpg

There was a sudden downpour after Nagari, and it was a treat to be sitting inside and experiencing the waterfall over the windows outside

The train was moving so fast that it was on course to reach its first stop Renigunta Jn. approx. 25 minutes ahead of time. An unscheduled stop at a station called Pudi made for a good evening pic.

At dusk
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-humsafar_dusk_pudi.jpg

Post Renigunta, the train was blazing away to Guntakal, a 310km distance with NO STOPS anywhere. I’ve travelled this sector regularly in the 90s, and it was a treat to watch the train move at smashing speeds through 42 stations including the much famed and major ones - Kadapa, Yerraguntla, Tadipatri. Scheduled arrival of the train at Guntakal Jn. was 2330hrs by when I’d dozed off, but then I woke up suddenly. Why? Read on..

Last edited by vigsom : 31st October 2021 at 22:34.
vigsom is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 21:06   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Riding the Humsafar – Day2

Waking up in the wee hours

I was asleep when the train arrived Guntakal Jn. but woke up to some conversations at approx. 0015hrs. A restless senior citizen in the side lower berth in our bay was asking the TTE why the train was parked in Guntakal for almost an hour and 15 minutes, and that is when I realized that the train had arrived Guntakal Jn. 30 minutes ahead of schedule, and was already 45 minutes past its scheduled departure. As if someone had heard this gentleman complain, the train just then started off from Guntakal Jn., approx. 45 minutes behind schedule; late start to Day2 but a lot of excitement in store. I dozed off again, and woke up again close to 0530hrs as the coach had gotten really cold, thanks to the chilly AC.

Tip No.1 – always carry a good blanket and a wool cap because even the best of warm clothing may not work in AC trains in the night.

Arriving Solapur ahead of time

The train was welcomed in Solapur 20 minutes before scheduled arrival. Since there was ample time to departure, I made my way to the front to see if our loco was a WDM or a WDP, and found two locos there. To me it seemed that the pilot loco was the one on and the second loco was shutdown in Solapur and was going to ride idle till Pune Jn.

Passing the Solapur lake
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-solapur_lake.jpg

Arrival at Solapur
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-solapur_arrival.jpg

Mysore-Bagalkot Special on the adjacent platform
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-mysbgk_basavaspecial.jpg

The diesel locos piloting our train
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-solapur_doubleheader2.jpg

Foot Overbridge at Solapur
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-solapur_fob.jpg

Cruising towards Pune

The train was doing great speeds speeding past Jeur, Bhima river , and was stopped at a wayside station called Washimbe to allow a freight train to cross. I was thinking that the track was double line but at this place, found that doubling was W-I-P.

At Jeur
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-jeur_1.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-jeur_2.jpg

View of the Bhima river/ catchment area
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-bhimariver_1.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-bhimariver_2.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-bhimariver_3.jpg

At Washimbe station - note the track doubling work
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-washimbe.jpg

The highlight of the Solapur-Pune sector was this train skipping Daund Jn., and this again was rather unbelievable since all trains would stop here several years ago. IIRC, the Dadar-Chennai superfast and the Kurla-Bangalore superfast were the only two trains that wouldn’t stop at Daund even in the 90s.

Closing in on Pune

The train was going at such a pace that it had crossed Hadapsar at approx. 0957hrs, a clear 50 minutes ahead of schedule. Result – it was stopped at the Pune Jn. outer signal for a good 20 minutes before being allowed in.

Arrival Pune Jn.

The train was finally in Pune Jn. 30 minutes ahead of time and that gave passengers ample time to gobble up all that was on offer on the platform – bhel, guavas, omelettes, tea etc.

Entering Pune Jn.
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-pune_entry.jpg

Deccan Express on the adjacent platform
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-pune_deccanexpress.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-deccanexpress_2.jpg

Special bhel in Pune
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-punejn_special.jpg

Fire station across the road from PF#6
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-pune_firestnacrosspf6.jpg

Change of loco at Pune Jn.
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-pune_locochange.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 31st October 2021 at 22:42.
vigsom is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 21:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Riding the Humsafar – Day2(Contd.)

Travel through the Khandala – Karjat ghat

This was finally the experience that most people in the train were waiting for, and it proved to be a treat for at least me since I haven’t travelled this sector in the day in a long long time. When the train was entering the tunnels and then offering some breathtaking views of the valley, I could hear several passengers near the doors scream out in excitement.

Ae Kya Bolti Too
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-khandala.jpg

Humsafar Express at Khandala
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-humsafar_khandala1.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-humsafar_khandala2.jpg

The erstwhile traction sub station at Monkey Hill
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-monkeyhill_ss.jpg

Views of the valley from the train
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-viewfromhumsafar_1.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-viewfromhumsafar_2.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-viewfromhumsafar_3.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-viewfromhumsafar_4.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-viewfromhumsafar_5.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-viewfromhumsafar_6.jpg

Travelling through the Bhor ghat

A freight train with banker locos attached

Skipping Karjat
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-skippingkarjat.jpg
vigsom is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 21:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Riding the Humsafar – Day2(Contd.)

Bypassing Mumbai (Kalyan – Vasai Road-Virar)

This was another sector that I haven’t been through lately. Once the train was past Dombivli, it moved away from the Central Railway line, looped and went over the main tracks at Kopar to head towards Bhiwandi Road towards Vasai. What a treat it was to watch the train cross the main CR line at Kopar. I understand the station Kopar has platforms on both the Diva-Vasai line and on the main CR line.

Moving away from the Central Railway(CR) main line
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-movingawayfromcrmainline.jpg

Looping towards the Diva-Vasai line
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-loopingtowardskopar.jpg

Tracks over tracks at Kopar - note the main CR line beneath
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-tracksovertracks_kopar_2.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-tracksovertracks_kopar.jpg

Meeting the Western Railway line short of Vasai Road
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-meetingwesternline.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-meetingwesternline2.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-meetingwesternline3.jpg

At Vasai Road
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-vasairoad.jpg

Near Virar
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-virar.jpg

Ultra high speed run – Vasai Road to Vadodara Jn.

This was another high speed run with 346kms being covered in a mere 4 hours. I have done the sector from Mumbai to Gujarat several times, but have never seen a run this fast on a regular express train. The view of the Tapti river full of water immediately after Surat was the final treat of the day

Tapti at Surat
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-tapti_1.jpg

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-tapti_2.jpg

Key learnings on this trip

1. Carry a blanket and a wool cap
2. A mask, if kept on for too long can hurt the nose bridges. I did face some pain, which did go away after 3 days
3. Eat healthy
4. Move around from coach to coach to keep the exercises up and keep laziness at bay

Summing it up

A truly memorable journey on a picturesque sector after a long time – the journey through the ghat and the Mumbai bypass was truly different. Like in my earlier journeys this year, I was witness to some excellent work done and being done by the Indian Railways in providing faster travel. What a train this was - ahead of time at all stations despite setting off late from Guntakal, blazing through major stations as if they never existed. This was one safar that was truly made sweet by the Humsafar !!

Like the way this journey lighted up my life, here's wising you all a very Happy Diwali !!

Last edited by vigsom : 31st October 2021 at 22:48.
vigsom is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 05:39   #9
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 07:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I evaluated the risks of travelling a weekly express, as such trains can easily be relegated to low priority in the event of track maintenance, mega blocks, loco failure and the like. However, I found that this train had a good track record of keeping time, plus I could afford unforeseen delays, hence decided to go with this option.
Over the last decade, I'd say IR have made good progress in terms of keeping trains running on time. Gone are the days where almost every train journey you took involved some delay or the other by the time you reach our destination. This no longer applies. The Humsafar has an advantage over the regular express trains as it has limited stops too. Other than the lack of a luxury First Class or 2 Tier AC Class, you're run times are as good as a Rajdhani.

I am curious to know where those two Kalyan diesels took over. I suspect it was at Wadi as the section between Wadi and Daund is what is left to be electrified. Its a very small section. Most express trains running on this stretch usually piggy back the electric loco behind the leading diesels between those two station. It looks like they cut the electric loco for your train and put a new one at Pune.

Interesting route the train takes. Navjeevan takes the usual Vijaywada route. I think its busier than the route your train took. I have done a locomotive cabin ride on Navjeevan back in 2004.

Kopar used to be my weekend hangout station for train spotting. This was when I was working in Bombay in 2005-06. Not too busy a line. Primarily serves freight going or leaving JNPT terminal.

Your carbon emissions for this trip must have been a fraction compared to what it would have been, had you take a flight. Good on you.

Thanks for sharing.
sandeepmohan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 18:10   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
curious to know where those two Kalyan diesels took over
Thank You @sandeepmohan. The loco change was at Guntakal and I think the diesel(s) belonged to Pune. Also, if you observe the pic featuring the two diesel locos, there was a stop stand positioned just at the second loco. That makes me believe that the second one brought the train to Solapur and the one in front was attached at Solapur so that both locos could go to Pune and get detached there. A Vadodara WAP7 took the train from Pune to Ahmedabad.

Quote:
Navjeevan takes the usual Vijaywada route. I think its busier than the route your train took. I have done a locomotive cabin ride on Navjeevan back in 2004
Navajivan Express takes the busier and longer route via Vijayawada, Wardha, Jalgaon but that route is boring. This one via Pune makes for some real good sights on the way. How long was your loco ride in 2004? Was it a WAP4?

Quote:
Kopar used to be my weekend hangout station for train spotting
What a way to spend a weekend ! Do you get to see trains in NZ?

Last edited by vigsom : 1st November 2021 at 18:12.
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 03:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Thank You @sandeepmohan. The loco change was at Guntakal and I think the diesel(s) belonged to Pune. How long was your loco ride in 2004? Was it a WAP4? Do you get to see trains in NZ?
Yes, you are right. The Irfca locomotive database does list them as Pune. IRFCA

I am pretty sure they were both running. They are oriented in such a way that suggests they are a pair and were probably attached at Guntakal. The Stop stand is generally placed, assuming a single locomotive is hauling the rake. Its really hard to say. With surplus diesel locomotives now available to IR, many are lashed up in multiple units to maintain better run time.

The loco ride was only up to Vijaywada and that was also the crew change point. The loco pilot I knew was ending his trip there. I assume it was around 5 to 6 hours of riding in the cab. Yes, it is quite a boring route. Other than freight traffic, the landscape is flat. Yes, was a WAP4. Three phase locomotives (WAP5,7) were not seen very often down south during those years.

Most of active NZ rail is suburban. Freight is scheduled and limited. If you are lucky, you may catch a few a day. That's it. Most freight moves by road in NZ. For a train lover, this place is boring. I have discovered more dead railway lines than actually see trains. Its sad. My pleasure with trains is more in my house with my little model rail road :-)
sandeepmohan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 07:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
My pleasure with trains is more in my house with my little model rail road :-)
Any chance you can share pics of your model rail road collection? My father and brother are fans of model rail roads themselves and they enjoy viewing the dioramas.
no_fear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 08:35   #14
BHPian

@vigsom you reminded me of my childhood when you mentioned Navjivan Express. if I remember correctly we used to take it from Rajkot to Chennai. The running joke was that once everyone in Chennai was shocked because the train arrived sharp on time. A few minutes later people realised that the train was exactly 24 hours late.

I remember hating that train ride because of how often it used to stop for what seemed like hours at various stations. Once a train is late, Railways tends to prioritise other trains and Navjivan Express used to always be late for some reason.

This is a lovely travelogue that’s made me want to try a train ride again, so I might just do it soon. I still wonder why there isn’t a train faster than Dadar-Chennai Superfast between Mumbai and Chennai. It takes 24 hours for that train to complete its journey. We really could use a Rajdhani or a Duronto on this sector to shorten the duration of the journey. I’m sure a distance of 1300-odd km can be covered in under 18 hours by trains.
Crow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 10:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Any chance you can share pics of your model rail road collection? My father and brother are fans of model rail roads themselves and they enjoy viewing the dioramas.
I don't have a diorama going on. Only a custom built a wooden table top for the railway. As I live in a rental, its not easy to expand and move this stuff around. Even in its current basic form, it is enjoyable. Trouble is, there is no limit to how much you can spend on track and rolling stock. The variety is just crazy.

Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-img_20211102_171559.jpg
Chennai-Ahmedabad Humsafar Express Train | Speed & Style rolled into one-img_20211102_171728.jpg

Here is a link to Rail Ex 2018. This is a annual model rail road exhibit in Wellington, New Zealand. I've attended the 2020 one too but it was much of the same thing. Still, its nice to see them.
sandeepmohan is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks