Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2020, 22:56   #46
BHPian

Re: Trucks on Indian Highways

One thing that used to bother me was unpredictable lane changes by truck drivers. Mainly middle lane to extreme right and vice versa. After many days of observation it appears to me that they change the lane in preparation of an overtake when they spot a slightly slower moving truck ahead of them - often at a distance of 500 meters or so. Keeping this fact in mind their lane changes now seem less unpredictable.

I prefer night driving because there are more trucks on the highways than other vehicles. These are a gentle lot compared to many other vehicles. BUT do respect them and maintain distance. An accident involving a car and a truck is not going to be light.
Biker Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 02:21   #47
BHPian

I'm wonder why people are surprised on trucks sticking to the median/right lane.

In India majority of the roads are two laned. The left most lane is always occupied with Jaywalkers/Two wheelers/Peddlers and for a truck which has major blind spots it is pretty much impossible to drive without getting into an altercation. even on highways. So the right most lane is the safest for them to drive on even if it inconveniences other road users. And you cannot blame them.

I have major respect for truckers. They usually are much better drivers than everyone else on the road.
Bluengel180 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 12:10   #48
BHPian

As I understand it, trucks usually keep to the right lane so as to avoid hitting trees on the left side of the road as trucks may have clearance issues with relatively lower lying branches and also to avoid breaking for two wheelers and parked vehicles in the left lane (so as not to loose momentum). Heavily loaded trucks can sometimes be seen riding on the middle of the road this is done to prevent the truck from tipping over due to the road' camber. Please correct me if I am wrong.
BoJack is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 12:11   #49
BHPian

I have been travelling on Indian highways since 1965, across the country.

Truck drivers have always been our source of information and help. In college, my home was 150km away and I would often hitch a ride on a truck. Never was I ever asked for money. One driver even requested that I go with him to his destination (450km away) and he would drop me on his way back!

In my younger days, it was the Sardar and his Tata who were eponymous. I remember travelling through a forest at night in 1986 and we came across a road roller stuck on a causeway. Traffic was backed up on both sides. Suddenly, one Tata truck broke the queue and came down to the road roller. As the driver emerged, everyone had the same sentiment, 'A Sardar in his Tata: he'll clear the road!' Sure enough, the Sardar attached his tow rope and, with the help of many people pushing the road roller, pulled the vehicle off the causeway.

On the superhighways of today, trucks have to stick to the left lane because the right lane - their assigned one - is often subject to wrong-way local traffic and it would be too dangerous for the (often) overloaded trucks to swerve and avoid.

I agree that it is frustrating when we are blocked by one truck (or even two, on six lane highways) attempting an overtake of another truck at glacial speeds, especially on an incline. I have found that this happens a maximum of two times per 300km. Can we not afford to lose 6 minutes every four hours?

On driving skills: today, it is not rare to see cars ignoring common-sense safety norms of cutting back into another lane after an overtake without gaining the requisite distance from the vehicle being overtaken; or overtaking on a rise/turn in the road when there is no visibility of traffic ahead, so why are we singling out truck drivers?

Is not the number of unskilled/careless/ignorant drivers increasing across the driver population, irrespective of the vehicles they drive?

Finally, I am also particular about acknowledging a truck driver who indicates that I can overtake before I have reached the point where I have to honk or flash the lights.

Last edited by Iksvaku : 29th December 2020 at 12:18. Reason: Caveat
Iksvaku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 12:18   #50
BHPian

I need to clarify that my opinion is about long-distance highway truck drivers. There is a significant difference between them and other truck drivers.
Old 29th December 2020, 12:33   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Ram View Post
One thing that used to bother me was unpredictable lane changes by truck drivers.
It is "unpredictable" because the truck driver did not see the vehicle behind - when he checked his mirrors. Always be in the truck driver's visible zone and long enough before making an intention (by honking/lights) to overtake.
bejoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 13:12   #52
Senior - BHPian

The trucks that they drive have limitations in terms of power and maneuverability. They have to plan much ahead to change lanes and except the 3 lane roads, it always irritates the other road users. I always find them to be better drivers than other vehicles.

Decades ago to travel to my village, we always used to hop on trucks on NH4. The sound that they make inside the cabin makes you think they are rocketing away They deserve to have better cabins, power steering, good rear view mirrors/cameras with screen etc. In US, they always write, if you cant see the driver, they cant see you (in the mirror). Yet they have the smallest mirrors here. They also need a safe stow away kitchen !

Last edited by srishiva : 29th December 2020 at 13:14.
Old 29th December 2020, 16:36   #53
BHPian

I can live with everything about truckers but their attitude or lack of awareness when they drive at slow speeds on the right most lane even on 6 lane highways. As a regular highway user, it becomes frustrating when you have to frequently negotiate the slow trucks on all the 2/3 lanes to surge past them. I can understand most of them do it for safety reasons, but it is totally against highway driving rules. Their safety view can become some else's disaster.

And yes, unless something is not done about the commuter 2 wheelers riding recklessly/leisurely on highways, we are heading towards a major safety hazard on highways. Post lockdown, to avoid public transport I have seen a big surge in the volume of 2 wheelers using highways to reach their workplaces. They ride as if they were strolling in a park. Its getting very dangerous especially after dark when they return back to the city. I regularly use the stretch on NH-4 between Yeshwanthpur and Kora(20kms from Tumkur). The stretch between Nelamangala and Tumkur is a 4 lane highway. Forum members from Bangalore will surely know what I mean.

The whole highway driving science needs a major overhaul since it now involves users such as tractors, 2 wheelers, 3 wheelers, light goods carriers such as Dost/Ace, Trucks, Trailers, Taxi's and personal cars/suv's.
Pkumarblore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 18:12   #54
BHPian

I used to Tow vehicles for bread and butter, sharing out of the experience...,
you cannot exceed 70Kmph and you would not want to brake often. Coz its not easy to gain momentum with weight. so there will always be a tendency to play defensive and not let anyone close in front of you. If there's not enough room in front of the lead vehicle i would not let any vehicle to overtake. The last thing you want is the vehicle ahead of you brakes and you wont have enough room to stop and end up in a disaster. This is something most of the passenger vehicle drivers wont understand and will keep honking until you give room and some stupid ones will even do a brake check as well. I've ended up in couple of serious mishaps owing to these brake checkers.

Truck maintenance is not easy and getting a good technician outside your region is a God send. The Tata 407 we owned for a short while was quite expensive to maintain. Boy the brakes wear in no time if you use it for towing. And a set of shoe friction material + machine shop cost around 8 to 10K, which is 40% of monthly profit.
So the mantra was take it slow and steady. All the truckers will follow the same.

In my so many years of driving, what i've noticed is, if you dont crisscross or brake check, they usually dont bother us. They usually stick to middle lane or the right lane at a steady speed. Even if they have a powerful engine, they would not want to go fast as there will be a pressure from operators on fuel consumption.

Long haul truckers life is pathetic owing to many reasons (cops, family, health, money, reaching the load safe on time, language and cultural barriers etc...) so they usually get irritated very easily.

The real trouble makers (in my opinion) are the private luxury buses who keep racing each other and many not bothering about anything around them.

The problem is also with cars as well, there's this cautious family driver holding at 70 or 90kmph speed in his 8 or 10 year old vehicle. He will be over taking a line of slow moving trucks and will not gain momentum even if there's an empty stretch ahead of him and a line up of vehicles behind. Unlike a truck passenger cars can give room for others to pass by, but many wont.

Last edited by Living2Drive : 29th December 2020 at 18:23.
Living2Drive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 19:41   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Rakesh View Post
++ few points about slow moving trucks after my discussion with an older gentleman. I am not sure if these all are valid points so do feel free to chime in.
2. Driving at low rpms between torque range drivers try to save fuel. They can make few more bucks indirectly from owners hiding actual diesel consumed.

Most truck owners from my region ask a basic question when introducing a new driver into their fleet - How much diesel mileage would you give? Answer to this question would decide the conversation length and outcome.
Old 30th December 2020, 10:05   #56
BHPian

I have huge respect for Indian truckers. Out on the highway they are most disciplined and helpful. I've been helped by truck drivers at late night on highway twice. I also thank truckers even today when they give way with a small honk. Yes, only a few of them these days respond back.

I strongly feel that we need to support the truck drivers with better infrastructure, perhaps something like the USA. And we also need laws to give them a better life out on the roads. Most of the times in a truck and car accident, the truck is blamed, but in reality car is the culprit.
Horizon85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 11:57   #57
Senior - BHPian

Felt good to see that a majority of the posts in this thread talk about the excellent road manners of truck drivers, their helpfulness and the challenges faced by them. I have huge respect for the truck drivers.

I ensure not to cause them to lose momentum because of my driving. It is so nice when most of them immediately respond in kind by making way for me as soon as possible.

Last edited by adisan : 18th December 2021 at 12:20.
adisan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks