Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2020, 10:03   #16

Re: The world's longest bus route

Incredible piece of history captured here!
I can't help but imagine how wonderful it would be if such a travel route existed today. Surely it would contribute a lot to the economies of central Asian countries and make them a tourist hotspot.

Considering the practicality of such a trip in today's time (hypothetically), I'm curious to know:
How many passengers this bus would've carried at max? Since the ad says "Freedom of movement... You're never tied to a seat"

I assume it would also allow for hop-in hop-off passengers along the route. Because that way it would earn more profit than from end to end customers. But what if the bus became full with end to end customers and there's no space left for on the way passengers. Would the fare collected from them suffice to cover the entire journey? Or would there be fixed number of seats for end to end and hop-in hop-off types?

Also, considering lack of diesel bunks in remote areas along the way, especially in those times, how many liters of extra fuel would it carry? And what all spares and how much of them?

And how many drivers would be on board? Would it allow a passenger to take wheel if a driver fell ill?
Old 3rd July 2020, 10:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Bangalore--Jodhpur still happens to be the longest bus route in India although an even longer Bangalore--Ajmer--Pushkar by SRS operated briefly. VRL sadly stopped this service last year or so while others continue.
Bangalore to Dhangadi and Raxaul will be longer routes, but these are non spectacular simple buses used by poor worker class which enthusiasts will not notice. The Pune Dhangadi buses wait at an hotel on the bypass for the Bangalore Dhangadi bus, and they usually move together till Indore where they are joined by more buses from other locations.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 11:38   #18
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
I suppose we still have this service

Delhi-Kathmandu bus is a trans-boundary bus service connecting India and Nepal's capitals at Delhi and Kathmandu respectively. The service is operated by the Delhi Transport Corporation and was launched in 2014. - Wikipedia
The service is indeed there. I saw this bus in Kathmandu last year. Not sure if it is suspended because of the Pandemic though.
A M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 13:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Bangalore to Dhangadi and Raxaul will be longer routes, but these are non spectacular simple buses used by poor worker class which enthusiasts will not notice. The Pune Dhangadi buses wait at an hotel on the bypass for the Bangalore Dhangadi bus, and they usually move together till Indore where they are joined by more buses from other locations.

Rahul
Like you mentioned, never seen these buses being discussed on any forums. Do you know which operators run these Bangalore to Nepal buses.
autotranny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

@autotranny.
Once buses start after lockdown I will do there and have a look and tell you.
Buses run only upto the check posts, and do not enter Nepal.
Old 19th July 2020, 09:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Found some pictures of Golden era, when London Calcutta road trip was in place

The world's longest bus route-calcuttalondon-bus-via-delhi-resurfaces-riding-old-photos-times-india-mumbai-7192020.jpg

Well it seems the thread has caught on. Featured in the Times of India today.

Last edited by nick.cs : 19th July 2020 at 09:06.

Most Viewed