Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2023, 15:51   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: End of an era for Premier Padmini taxis on Mumbai roads

Tweet by Mr Anand Mahindra yesterday:-

"From today, the iconic Premier Padmini Taxi vanishes from Mumbai’s roads. They were clunkers, uncomfortable, unreliable, noisy. Not much baggage capacity either. But for people of my vintage, they carried tons of memories. And they did their job of getting us from point A to point B. Goodbye and alvida, kaali-peeli taxis. Thank you for the good times…"

https://twitter.com/anandmahindra/st...I2y9mHLug&s=19

My tweet in reply to Mr Anand Mahindra's tweet:-

"They were clunkers as their design dated back to the 1950's, true but not as clumsy and awkward like the Mahindra CJ 500D, a 1975 entry into our automobile scene."

And a tweet by Roads of Mumbai:-

Remembering the iconic Mumbai Kaali Peelis!
Introducing special merchandise to celebrate the legacy of the Premier Padmini taxis.
Keep the nostalgia alive.
Get yours now: bit.ly/45pITxw

"https://twitter.com/RoadsOfMumbai/status/1718854354910998544?t=ZF1Bk2cM8FImPJqNvKU_sw&s=19

(A fast way to make fastbucks. Thousands of us are emotional about the Padmini taxis vanishing)
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 18:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

As a hardcore mumbaikar, premier padmini was the automobile which was seen aplenty in my childhood days. The beautifull curves it carried and the simplicity of function and design was unmatched.

Hopping in a taxi as a child , sitting on backseat and having that clear view of road and the sweet column shift gears being smoothly operated by the cabbie with his right hand hanging over the door edge! What memories

Come 2005 and i was lucky to have my own premier padmini as a personal car. That association lasted for 6 years , and now the one i have is a centy Kaali Peeli

No other taxi model can be termed as Mumbai's taxi, so in my heart its a legend.
Old 2nd November 2023, 14:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

Journey from Bombay to Mumbai. Glad that this was a part of my childhood. Recently the double decker buses and now this.

Too much nostalgia for a Bombayite / Mumbaikar in recent weeks. End of an Era.
Attached Thumbnails
End of an era for Premier Padmini taxis on Mumbai roads-f9ql9emaqaaypwg.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks