Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2020, 17:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Full body scanners at Delhi's IGI airport from April

Full body scanners are expected to be operational at Delhi's Indira Gandhi International Airport from April 2020.

Full body scanners at Delhi's IGI airport from April-iu10.jpeg

In 2009, Advanced imaging Technology (AIT), also known as full body scanners was installed in US airports. The move came after attempts to blow up aeroplanes using plastic and non-metal explosives. Initially, these scanners were based on X-rays or ionising radiation to scan the body. However, controversy arose when it came to know that it shows intimate details of the human body and raised privacy concerns. The US Transport Security Administration (TSA) replaced these with millimetre wave technology based imaging devices which show a more generic image of the passenger.

In India, the millimetre wave imaging technology body scanners will be installed. Testing was carried out since 2019 at 84 airports. IGI airport is expected to install 69 body scanners.

Back in 2017, CISF tested US-made scanners, which had problems with saree clad women. The German-made scanners, now being tested, showcased no such problems. It is also reported that AIT will be an additional security feature and will not replace manual intervention.

Source
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 18:10   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Full body scanners at Delhi's IGI airport from April

There was news reports last year that Bangalore airport was conducting trials of full body scanners, though it was limited to lines meant for cabin crew.

Link

It seems by next year, all airports will shift to full body scanners.

Quote:
Bureau for Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) had mandated that all airports install full-body scanners by March 2021
mpksuhas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 10:43   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Advanced imaging Technology (AIT), also known as full body scanners was installed in US airports.
I recently used these and would much prefer walking through a full-body scanner than having a constable running his hands all over me. These processes can sometimes feel cumbersome, but I smile through them as - at the end of the day - they are all for our safety .
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 13:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

Of all the security systems, I find the one in Amsterdam the best. No need to take out shoes, or remove laptops. Just keep your bags in the trays and walkthrough. Super efficient, wonder what stops others following them.

The one in Delhi when operational may quicken the time but I am not sure at least initially and one has to remove the shoes as well.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 13:39   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually the problem is not the hassle of frisking or walking through the scanner. The real issue, at least previously used x-ray or ionizing radiation scanner was that these scanners showed a lot of physical details of the person under check. This was a matter of grave concern towards privacy and one's modesty. Also, ionizing radiations are known carcinogens, which means frequent or high exposure can lead to cancer.

The new mm-wave tech is not an x-ray, so health concerns are out; but still it will invade the privacy due to the nature of technology. Operated and monitored by humans, this will not be any ordinary security check that people (& families) will look upto, especially if they are aware of the level of the graphic details this technology can reveal.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 14:20   #6
BHPian

19 years late.
Still not enough time for developing this kind of tech in India. Still purchasing imported stuff.
I have no words to describe the frustration I feel at this.

For all those who might think chalta hai, I know of at least one person besides me, who shares my view. Dr. APJ Kalam, who showed us what was actually possible when he lead the development at DRDO and earned his monicker Missile Man of India.
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 16:00   #7
Team-BHP Support

Used these at most airports in the US; there was no consistency though. Some expected travelers to remove the belt and shoes, some didn't. These do save time and hassle. But despite these, I've been called for a secondary check (where they check your fingers for some chemical). Subtle racial profiling.

I'd prefer these to the frisking that currently happens at Indian airports 10/10 times.

All said and done, Security Check remains a very sour experience at most airports; we need drastic innovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Of all the security systems, I find the one in Amsterdam the best. No need to take out shoes, or remove laptops. Just keep your bags in the trays and walkthrough.
OT: if you like this, you'll love Tromso (and other airports) in Norway. Everything is automated; the first person you'll meet is at the boarding gate.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks