Aircraft cleanliness and upkeep 6 33.33%
The confidence in safety 4 22.22%
The image of the airline 10 55.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2023, 06:09   #301
BHPian

Re: Air India Divestment - Tata Sons completes acquisition

As an aviation geek, I think the redesign leaves a lot to be desired. Been waiting approx 1.5 years for this, it was certainly a let down.
I am reminded of my cautious anticipation for the 4th Matrix movie. It had all the fundamentals of being a good one but turned out to be quite a disappointment.

New Livery looks more suitable for a East Asian LCC. Nothing unique about it, nothing that represents India. Somehow this reminds me of Tata's overall lack of flow with design languages, like the back-end of Tata Nexon. No offense to any one.

I also asked a few non-avgeek friends for their opinion and they too felt the same way I did. The font is the airline equivalent of Papyrus. And it made them think of an LCC. Some don't mind the font and hate the tail, some hate the font and don't mind the tail. Quite polarizing.

A lot of people world over do not know what Vistara is. They are confused about the palette of colors chosen. Once you tell them the backstory, at best you will get a confused "Oh, I see" but its hard to care about something you aren't really aware of.
Imran.Syed is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 06:18   #302
Senior - BHPian

I somehow liked the former Italic styled theme with the Centaur logo. They could have removed the jharokhas since they look best only on a 747. That logo had a dynamic, purposeful look, this one looks more sarkari than ever.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 09:44   #303
BHPian

Looks like Kingfisher and Air Asia had a baby.
no_fear is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 09:50   #304
Senior - BHPian

The font is Babetta Bold.
https://www.fonts.com/font/viktor-nu...n/babetta/bold

Surprised to see AI is not interested in designing a custom font just like the Emirates font. They should have done a livery design competition or ask the public to select from a set of designs. The PR aspect would have been great.

The former AI font was Loft Extra Bold Italics. Great-looking in both narrow and widebody aircraft, but IMHO it is not in tune with the 2020s.

https://www.onlinewebfonts.com/downl...9e500903b93ef5

As Imran.Syed has said, the new livery is not exactly a premium design despite the gold line, and may be good only for AI Express.

BTW understood it is a French (temporary) registration, but I'd think twice before putting up anything on pedestal with a "F-U" in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Air India Divestment - Tata Sons completes acquisition-fg.png  

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 11th August 2023 at 09:52.
sandeepmdas is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 10:25   #305
BHPian

I feel this livery will grown on us provided they manage to rectify their perception. Instead of looking at this as a budget airline inspired livery on a full service airline we may start perceiving it as a premium one. I certainly feel the font is a hell of a lot modern than say Japan Airlines which just looks like a typical font but with bold and italics turned on. Also seeing the livery with a metallic finish will be a different matter altogether imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Surprised to see AI is not interested in designing a custom font just like the Emirates font.
Funnily enough in the live event they did claim that this was a new font called Air India Sans! See at 50:46 below. But now looking at Babetta the letters in Air India are identical. However there are some other letters including M, Y etc. that are definitely different.

https://www.youtube.com/live/AlF3vur...e=share&t=3046
sravankrishnan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 14:13   #306
Senior - BHPian

I feel this new livery is a big letdown. I had high expectations that the new livery will be something very unique and refreshing. This just feels plan and boring.tgis from.an airline that had some iconic liveries in the past on their aircraft. From the Iconic livery on their first 707s to the jharokha livery on their first 747-200s to the outgoing livery - all of them, brilliant.

Another let down is that Air India will no longer be mentioned in Devanagari script( Hindi) on the starboard side, like it had been traditionally.

In a bid to make it look modern, they have ended up cooking a tasteless khichdi!!! I wonder which ghastly livery awaits AIX's 737MAXs.
skanchan95 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 17:06   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually liked the livery, and the presentation. But what will really make a difference is the interiors and service. Hopefully they follow Vistara processes and have Vistara quality interiors - and we will have a good experience. The other big point is getting premium economy on all domestic flights at least between metros. That makes a big difference.

Beyond a point, the font and livery are about being unique and recognisable - which this will be so the time. Why spend months for that, God alone knows (or may be I am a philistine).

Last edited by Hayek : 11th August 2023 at 17:08.
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 19:41   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

It is an OK looking livery IMO. Nothing wow or memoriable.

What matters most is the interior product - The quality and layout of the cabin and seats. The service and the food. If these are good then the airline will flourish. Nobody give a damn about the livery beyond a certain timepoint, IMO.
Old 12th August 2023, 06:06   #309
BHPian

Air India has also revealed its new interiors. Looks on-par with some of the best products out there. Nothing to write home about, but nobody expected any miracles here anyway.

The whole interior vibe is yelling Vistara (which is a good thing.)
But here again the forced marriage of colors is standing out like an eye sore.
To me, the whole theme of the interior is ruined by the staunch red in the IFE.
And oh god, the Economy seats. WHY!? Red is not a calm color, it invokes mostly negative emotions and this is well documented. Indian passengers can be plenty emotional without any provocation. And that dark brown headrest? It looks completely out of place.
Economy section feels like its part of a different aircraft alltogether.

Also while everybody celebrates the interior reveal, Im saddened demise of 3-3-3 seating in economy on the 777. I knew they'd scrap it for the 10 abreast which is universal right now except JAL, but I was crossing my fingers hard hoping they'd keep 9 abreast seating in line of JRD Tata's vision of making Air India top class in comfort.
Keeping 3-3-3 would have given Air India an instant advantage over the competition and fans would've marketed it like crazy, resulting in more people flying it like Emirates does for A380s. Oh well.

I personally detest 10 abreast and choose XL seats on A320s when I can.

Last edited by Imran.Syed : 12th August 2023 at 06:09.
Imran.Syed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 07:34   #310
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT, but this in my view is one of the most beautiful airline liveries right now.

https://airlinesfleet.com/saudia-fle...-and-pictures/

The contrast of the desert sand and the cool blue on the tail is stunning to say the least.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 07:51   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Slightly OT, but this in my view is one of the most beautiful airline liveries right now.

https://airlinesfleet.com/saudia-fle...-and-pictures/

The contrast of the desert sand and the cool blue on the tail is stunning to say the least.
This is my personal all time favorite. I may be biased as this is the airline of my childhood but this exudes class and timelessness. I wish AI did something like this.
After this, Etihad's livery is one that I like a lot but their service is iffy so I don't like flying them.

Fiji Airways and Air New Zealand are my current modern favs though. Fun fact: Future Brands, the company hired by AI to do their livery and overall branding, also did Fiji Airways.

A comparison:

Air India Divestment - Tata Sons completes acquisition-172485284.htzqoxic.fijiairway_2a0882.jpg
Air India Divestment - Tata Sons completes acquisition-airindianewliveryimagefromairindiahttps___www.airindia.com_in_en_rebrandkit.html916x516.jpg

MODS: We might need a merged Air India Thread due to national and international interest in the airline!
Imran.Syed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 19:09   #312
Senior - BHPian

I find the redesigned livery too busy, too generic, too "another airline from the middle East" sort of vibes. Nothing standout that carries the vibe of India.
It's hard to outdo the simple motifs of the wheel and the centaur I guess.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 21:05   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Render of the new Air India Livery.

Air India Divestment - Tata Sons completes acquisition-373533354_3783835895182470_5692811439321329416_n.jpg

Link

Last edited by Aditya : 1st September 2023 at 05:47. Reason: Clarification
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 21:21   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
First image of the new Air India Livery.

Attachment 2497702
Is this real? The red color looks more purplish than what they displayed at the launch.
Old 1st September 2023, 05:18   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Is this real? The red color looks more purplish than what they displayed at the launch.
I doubt this as original. It looks like a photoshopped image. When you go to the link, it says that this is the first A350 of Air India registered as VTXWB which doesn't show up in FlightRadar 24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks