Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2018, 18:12   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gujarat's Ro-Ro ferry to cut down 6.5 hour trip to 90 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Sadly, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating". Every once in a while I read in papers that someone put the car on the boat and forgot to pull the handbrake and car rolled into the water, etc.
I have a simple solution for your anxiety. Just dont keep your wheels straight when parked in a ferry.Your car will thus never roll off even if handbrake fails. Dont be so anxious, enjoy the ferry ride when you can

Last edited by silverado : 12th November 2018 at 18:39.
Old 12th November 2018, 18:47   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I have a simple solution for your anxiety. Just dont keep your wheels straight when parked in a ferry.Your car will thus never roll off even if handbrake fails. Dont be so anxious, enjoy the ferry ride when you can

What about first part of my query? Is this ferry ride covered by the car insurance?
Old 12th November 2018, 19:44   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What about first part of my query? Is this ferry ride covered by the car insurance?
I tried to search for it now after your reply.As per them it depends on our insurer.

Please check below link for reference

https://www.indigoseaways.com/Home/TermsAndCondition
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 09:52   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I tried to search for it now after your reply.As per them it depends on our insurer.

Please check below link for reference

https://www.indigoseaways.com/Home/TermsAndCondition

That's my point. If you read your car insurance policy wording, such ferry rides are excluded. So please be aware.
Old 13th November 2018, 10:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
That's my point. If you read your car insurance policy wording, such ferry rides are excluded. So please be aware.
HDFC ergo covers it, even Future Generalli did it. Inland waterways includes creek which the ferry traverses. Refer below image:
Gujarat's Ro-Ro ferry to cut down 6.5 hour trip to 90 minutes-screenshot-20181113-10.06.13-am.png
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 10:49   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

This is good (assuming this is the default policy that they issue without proposer asking for any add-ons). Let me check the wording of my policies (Cholamandalam and Bharti AXA this year).
Old 19th November 2018, 10:17   #52
Senior - BHPian

Ro-Ro service between Ghogha, Hazira(Surat) from Dec 9.

Quote:
There is some good news for Saurashtrians living in Diamond City. The much-awaited Ro-Ro (roll-on, roll-off') ferry service between Ghogha in Bhavnagar and Hazira in Surat is all set to be launched on December 9.
Quote:
With the start of Ro-Ro ferry service, the travel time between Ghogha and Hazira will reduce from 10 hours to 3.15 hours. The road distance from Surat to Bhavnagar is 360 kilometres, whereas the sea route distance is 67 nautical miles only.
News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 14:29   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
HDFC ergo covers it, even Future Generalli did it. Inland waterways includes creek which the ferry traverses. [/ATTACH]
This stretch is a gulf in the open sea, rather than a creek, which is inland. Just saying...
Old 19th November 2018, 15:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
This stretch is a gulf in the open sea, rather than a creek, which is inland. Just saying...
Ok, since you posted this, I went and dug up some stuff. As long as it's in the same territorial waters of India, it's considered inland waterway. Yes, I maybe wrong on calling a gulf a creek, but it is safe to say your insurance will cover it.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 15:58   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^^^
At the risk of belabouring the point and being a nuisance - the ~45 kms between Bhavnagar & Surat is open sea but a part of India's territorial sea boundary. From a geographical or nautical terminology it is not an inland water way [like a river, canal, or inland bay (like Mumbai)] though maybe insurance companies are using it to indicate a wider coverage - I don't know. If the ferry sinks the loss of your car will be at sea while being transported in a ship and not a loss off a bridge over a creek.

Heartening to see us Indians getting sea-minded. We have so much potential to transport goods by sea all along the west coast and the east coast in coastal cargo ships and self propelled barges not to mention along our ten biggest rivers. We have 5200 kms of practically navigable river length. In comparison the river Rhine in Europe is navigable only for ~800 kms and yet transports <take a deep breath> 20 million tonnes of cargo each year. That is like 1 to 1.5 million truck loads or 10,000 freight train loads. Water is the easiest medium to transport through because the water carries your weight! It also means that the carrier, i.e. the empty ship, weighs a L-O-T less than the carried i.e. the payload

Last edited by V.Narayan : 19th November 2018 at 16:26.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 23:43   #56
Senior - BHPian

A video of a succesful truck loading onto the ferry.

And one of a failed attempt

Am glad we are looking for options on the sea or rivers.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 12:04   #57
BHPian

So, the newly launched Ro-Ro ferry got stuck in the mid sea while sailing from Ghogha to Dahej. At the time of the incident, the vessel was carrying 461 passengers and 114 vehicles. After being stuck in the sea for nearly an hour, tugboats towed it to the Ghogha port. The reason behind this failure is not yet diagnosed.

Here is a link to the article if you want to read the full report: https://ahmedabadmirror.indiatimes.c...w/66741985.cms
Old 30th December 2018, 16:04   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
So, the newly launched Ro-Ro ferry got stuck in the mid sea while sailing from Ghogha to Dahej. At the time of the incident, the vessel was carrying 461 passengers and 114 vehicles. After being stuck in the sea for nearly an hour, tugboats towed it to the Ghogha port. The reason behind this failure is not yet diagnosed.
Has this been resolved? Has the service resumed?
Old 31st December 2018, 08:39   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Has this been resolved? Has the service resumed?
Looks like it is. Online booking of tickets are available.
https://www.indigoseaways.com/
chandras1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 14:49   #60
Senior - BHPian

Modi's dream Ro-Ro ferry in Gujarat runs into rough weather.

Quote:
Prime Minister Narendra Modi's dream project of a Ro-Ro (Roll-on, Roll-off) ferry service between Dahej in south Gujarat and Ghogha in Saurashtra region has run into rough weather with the firm running the service blaming it on the Gujarat Maritime Board for not carrying out regular dredging in the area, while it is unable to handle the high tides in the erratic Arabian Sea.
Quote:
"If this is not done, there is no point running an erratic service completely dependent on high tides," the contractor said. His company is also learnt to have conveyed this to the Prime Minister's Office (PMO).

"The services have become unreliable because of the erratic high tides. We can't ask the passengers to come at everyday times everyday. The passengers too have commitments to maintain," he asserted.
TOI News on 27th December
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks