Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2017, 12:36   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Electric bus service begins on the Manali-Rohtang Pass route

Does this 40g CO2e/km consider direct vehicle pollution or total emission including transport and production emissions? Any link to study?
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 12:56   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I'm not happy with this "development".

For a country like India with its high population density, I'd prefer trolley buses and electric roads. Seems the rest of the world is doing that. Why mess with expensive, toxic batteries?
World’s first electric road opens in Sweden
Trucks start rolling down California eHighway
Given the terrain, the solutions you propose might not work out as the gradient is very steep at places, and there are innumerable hairpins. Add to it the uncertainty of weather - frequent landslides etc and it will be a challenge to setup overhead lines.

That said, I wonder, why don't they setup -
1. A rope-way or
2. Maybe a Funicular railway to the top?

Examples of both in our own country -
1. Gulmarg Gondola - stage 1 & 2, which take you to almost 14k feet.
2. In Himachal, between Jogindernagar and Barot. Built by the British. But thanks to years of neglect, it isn't in working condition anymore.

Once operational, simply ban any vehicle from doing a day trip to the top. This will segregate tourists from the regular users and make life easier (and cheaper) for both.

But I guess, with the tunnel finally opening up, it will anyway, reduce the regular traffic from the top. And an electric bus might be the most cost efficient and feel good step from the administration's perspective.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 13:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Does this 40g CO2e/km consider direct vehicle pollution or total emission including transport and production emissions? Any link to study?
Link is given there mate I had embedded the hyperlink in the word 'article itself. Let me know if that helps.

http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/electric-cars-green
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 13:45   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Given the terrain, the solutions you propose might not work out as the gradient is very steep at places, and there are innumerable hairpins. Add to it the uncertainty of weather - frequent landslides etc and it will be a challenge to setup overhead lines.

That said, I wonder, why don't they setup -
1. A rope-way or
2. Maybe a Funicular railway to the top?
Absolutely!

My real disagreement was with using batteries. They are currently uneconomical and toxic. This is the reason why the Reva has not caught on in India. Same with the electric scooters. We are paisa vasool types, so I am sure that none of us would approve of these battery powered buses, if we had to pay from our pockets (which we are doing here).

We just don't have the advanced technology to produce cutting edge batteries and other required infrastructure.

As of now it would be better to stay away from battery powered public transport. Especially if funded with our TAX MONEY.

We need not look to far to find the reason for the popularity of these "electric buses" - the huge initial cost and huge recurring cost!
Old 23rd April 2019, 16:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Any recent update on this service? I don't seem to be able to book this one online as the HP transport portal says no buses available for May 19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks